Jetboil, is there anything better?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JARHEAD0811

Jetboil, is there anything better?

Post by JARHEAD0811 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:54 am

I am thinking of buying a Jetboil Flash Java Kit just to experiment with, might as well buy it for my coffee but to use it also for heating water for some (for example) Wise Food products. I like the portability due to needed space and or for home if power fails. Has anyone used this product and how do you like it and, is there a better product out there. I have sterno and the Stove in a can but, I like the all together kit of jetboil.

claverhouse

Re: Jetboil, is there anything better?

Post by claverhouse » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 am

I have a Flash and it is great at what it does, which is one self contained unit for boiling water quickly! Not so great for actual cooking but if you are after something to make coffee/tea and eat only boil in the bag or dehydrated food you should be fine. You might also look at the Primus Eta range - they share design basics, can't remember who split from whom but they started as one apparently. The burner on the Flash is designed for speed not simmer so I also have a Trangia stove which is what I use for actual cooking and has a range of pans. I use both the alcohol burner and gas burner on the Trangia as needs require but the Jetboil is very useful for quick & dirty refueling.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

CTjohn

Post by CTjohn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 am

every review i've seen for the jetboil boils down to "it's a one trick pony, but wow, it does that trick well"

there are lighter, more compact, or more well rounded systems out there, but the jetboil works well and efficiently at boiling. it was the "all-in-one" part of it that drew me to it as well. i also got the tripod thing for it, it makes me feel a lot safer around camp. although the tripod could probably be used on any stove that rests on the canister (pocket rocket, etc) - (http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/spare ... t-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

wardoggy

Re: Re: Jetboil, is there anything better?

Post by wardoggy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 am

claverhouse wrote:You might also look at the Primus Eta range - they share design basics, can't remember who split from whom but they started as one apparently...
As I understand it, Primus was making stoves for JB, then they started making their own when JB didn't want to incorporate some changes Primus wanted to make. Primus started making that style stove under their own name, then got promptly sued for patent infringement. Not sure of the outcome, but I haven't seen the Primus version for a while.

I picked up a Primus Eta Solo (JetBoil clone) when they were on clearance, after Primus had discontinued them during the lawsuit. I love it. It adjusts low enough to do a 'hot' simmer, and boils water for a MH meal in about 2min. I carry mine whenever I go out of town (with a few MH meals) for road grub. Quick, tasty, no clean up, and the stove packs up to little room in a pack. I actually carry mine in a MaxP 12x5 pouch with Ti spork, bandana (napkin) and a spare fuel can. Awesome self-contained unit.

Haven't tried it yet, but apparently both the JB and the Primus work well for cooking bacon, eggs, etc with appropriate cookware.

I also have a PocketRocket that I carry camping in a Four Dog Stove Co Mors Pot 1.8l. The stove, fuel can, plastic spork, bandana, matches, and a seasoning kit all fit beautifully inside the pot. It gives me a little more versatility overall, and the whole kit is just a little bigger than my Primus Eta Solo, and ends up cheaper too. Basically, it's a DIY JetBoil system that doesn't lock together when cooking.

The "all-in-one" systems aren't perfect, but they make a great addition to your kit. As much as I dig my DIY version, I don't think I'd trade my Primus. Except for a JetBoil. They are just too handy not to have one around. YMMV etc.

Connected via SkyNet

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:33 pm

I bought a FLASH a few years ago to T&E, and liked it so much I bought a few more.

The JB Java kit is better than buying the GSI french press kit IMO.

My various bug out kits all have a variety of foods, but any kit that has Mountain House and ramen also has a FLASH.

Making coffee is something to practice a few times. Accept the fact that, while learning, you might blow the load all over yourself. It's OK, as long as you don't get burnt :wink: I still have a JB set up in my garage, because it boils water faster than my stovetop, and, some days, Daddy just don't wanna cook...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

JARHEAD0811

Post by JARHEAD0811 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Thank you!

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:48 am

The instant hot water faucet (installed under the kitchen sink gadget) we have, I think beats the
Jetboil for hot water in an instant for coffee. I have not figured out a way to bug out with it yet.

Wonder how many Jetboils are being used by those that lost power (or more) because of Hurricane Sandy.

Having a backup stove that can use unleaded gasoline after all the Jetboil cannisters are empty might be good
option.

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 am

I have not used the Jetboil, However a friend has one similar to this,

Super efficient, and heats quite a lot more water too, depends if you`d prefer to use gas.

http://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-boiler-camp-stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:39 am

T-Boon wrote:I have not used the Jetboil, However a friend has one similar to this,

Super efficient, and heats quite a lot more water too, depends if you`d prefer to use gas.

http://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-boiler-camp-stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Same thing as a kelly kettle which has been around for a lot longer. http://www.kellykettleusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just purchased the base camp stainless kelly kettle but haven't had the time to mess around with it yet. Plenty of videos on youtube.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 am

We've been using a jetboil for awhile. It doesn't come on every trip, but it's a good piece of gear. I think the canister stand and pot support are essential to making it a more well-rounded system. I do like the french press for it. I've also done dehydrated eggs and bacon on the frying pan. Just be careful to keep the flame low :shock: As already mentioned, it gets stuff hot fast. If you're actually cooking you need to keep an eye on it.

I do believe they are a bit overpriced these days :(
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:07 am

NamelessStain wrote:
T-Boon wrote:I have not used the Jetboil, However a friend has one similar to this,

Same thing as a kelly kettle which has been around for a lot longer. http://www.kellykettleusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just purchased the base camp stainless kelly kettle but haven't had the time to mess around with it yet. Plenty of videos on youtube.
I love storm kettles like that. I never got a Jetboil but there were very popular in my old OTC, where the alternative was hexystoves.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 am

As said earlier, one trick pony. But that one trick is exactly what I was looking for in my main survival stove. It stays in the backpack all winter long for melting/boiling snow. An old habit from when I was an avid backcountry snowmobiler.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 am

How does that Jet Boil pot work when you run out of fuel? Can you put it over a fire as a back up (seriously, I'm asking because I don't know). I like the MSR Pocket Rocket and the Snow Peak Giga-Power. Both use a standard pot you can put over a fire if the stove goes ballistic or if you run low on fuel.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 am

Red_Snow wrote:As said earlier, one trick pony. But that one trick is exactly what I was looking for in my main survival stove...
I agree, it's not incredibly flexible(though there is some flex once you play with it a bit), but as my hot food preps are built around boiled water, the fact that the JB is very quick and efficient at the one thing I want it to do makes it a good fit for me. It packs well, and the fuel goes a long way.

My AO provides me with plenty of water to use, without the weight of carrying all of it. Sometimes I may have to melt that water. More than half of the year, hot food can really keep you going, and the extra carbs of ramen alongside MH are calories you'll put to good use staying warm and slogging through the snow or mud. JB/fuel, ramen, and MH are all nice and light to carry, water is fucking heavy. This one-trick pony more than justifies it's own weight to me, since it's one trick helps me not have to carry all the water I need. Your AO may require different things.
vawilderness wrote:How does that Jet Boil pot work when you run out of fuel? Can you put it over a fire as a back up (seriously, I'm asking because I don't know).
JB is pretty weak here. The only handle is nylon webbing sewn to the neoprene sleeve that surrounds the cup. Try to hold that over a fire, and you'll burn everything off the cup, and your hand pretty badly, too. If you improvise a stove out of stones, you could use that to hold the cup.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Jetboil advises mandatory constant stirring to prevent the fins from melting off if other than plane water is in the titanium
model cup. Hmmmm.

Failure of the Titanium Jetboil Sol Ti model cup have occurred. - the fins under the cup melted off partially.

link, pics, and Jetboil's letter of response

http://blog.bloatedgoat.org/?p=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and another Sol Ti melt off

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com ... ution.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pics
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jCSW4wOO7Yw/U ... /Fux+2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Jb9GfeqBoWQ/T ... l_Ti_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 pm

I just use the standard (non-Ti) Flash.

If you let all the water boil off, the neoprene sleeve will melt a bit...

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Primus makes decent stoves.

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Tagging this, cause I think my Flash is the Ti version. :-\

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JARHEAD0811

Post by JARHEAD0811 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Jet Boil looks attractive for the all in one getter done. There is no life before coffee so, I guess it's the Jet Boil with a coffee press. But the kelly kettle will be for my base camp later, I like using almost anything for a fuel source.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:57 pm

IMHO, there is no better gas stove for boiling water. I mostly use mine for rehydrating freeze-dried food, for which it's perfect. I use other stoves, or just a a campfire, when I want to cook my food.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

horizonseeker

Post by horizonseeker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:03 pm

I have both the jetboil and Primus ETA, the main difference is that jetboil is not easy to use with non-jetboil pots or cups etc due to the fluxring construction. If you purchase the "pot support" for jetboil, it does solve the issue somewhat. Meanwhile, the ETA express will allow mostly any pot/cup/etc to be used if you do not have the ETA pot and the lid can also be used separately. the ETA express also comes with a built-in windshield.

I like the ETA express for its perceived versatility and the windshield and comes on longer trips, the jetboil only comes with me when I know it won't be required to do much more than boil water (meteor showers or star gazing party), in other words, established locations.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

It's all already been said but I will add my .02:

If you want 2 cups of boiled water in under 3 minutes (on a non-freezing day) in a self contained, easy to set up, easy to light and use stove - this is it. I've been using one for 7... 8 years now (birthday 2005 is when I got it).

I too have added the stabilizer and pot stand options. I Picked up an extra cup. I have had to replace the igniter 2 years ago, the original just stopped lighting. One of the plastic lids cracked on me last year but I only carry one cup with me know so I canabilized the lid off the extra. I've made mocha in my REI halfdome tent during a hail and rain storm so heavy that windshields cracked and the fire pit flooded out.

I've cooked with it with varying degrees of success and fail (can of chili = fail, hot dogs and steamed gyoza = win!). I've just decided to stick with the 2 cups of boiled water. If you try to boil more than 2 cups of water it will boil over easy and when you least want it to.

I'm still not sure how long the canisters last. I've tried recording it but always screw that up. I suspect I can boil about 12 2 cup servings before I think I am getting low. I know it is more. I mark the canister with a Sharpie every time I use it.

I find it is easier to keep clean if you just boil water in it and then use that water in a different container to do other work - like if I were to make ramen I'd poor the boiled water out of the Jetboil and cook my Ramen in the bowl I will be eating from. This is not required. I don't do this all the time. I use the plastic bottom cup and lid for the ramen (or instant noodles of your choice).

I have tried to use the cup to boil over a fire with, it can be done but it sucks.

If you want one my suggestions are:
1) Get the stabilizer and pot stand. It fits inside the cup with your burner and canister.
2) Put a paper towel on the bottom of the cup before you pack the rest of the shit in it. It will saok up moisture still in the cup which will get your fuel canister rusty thus adding rust to the bottom of your cup. Keep your cup clean BTW or you will get grease and shit all over your other stuff.
3) Get a long spoon/spork. That JB cup can get deep if you decide to eat out of it.
4) Always carry a spare fuel canister.

I bring it with me all the time, even when i pack my bushcraft kitchen. It is a helluva back up. I need to stop doing this. I like to bring it car camping too. It's nice to be able to make coffee or tea late at night without having to get up and fumble around in a kitchen. I keep it next to me while sleeping in my lean-to so I can start it up in the morning for coffee and hot cereal while still in my sleeping bag.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Ninja, thanks for those tips! Several there I hadn't thought of simply because most of my experience comes from garage use rather than bush use! (Yeah, I know, I'm that grunt that never goes to the field anymore. It's sad, but that's what my family has done to me...)

praharin

Post by praharin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:04 am

My stove right bow is an MSR Pocket Rocket. It's very small and light, and I picked it over the jetboil because it's a little more versatile. I keep looking at the Sol when I make a stop at REI. Tempting, but I have lots of other things that I want to get first. Lots.
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

Return to “Bug Out Gear”