20 Volt Multi-Tool Sets: Opinions and Experiences

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PsycoBob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Re: 20 Volt Multi-Tool Sets: Opinions and Experiences

Post by PsycoBob » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Minor update on the power tool front: I discovered eBay has adapters to let me use dewalt 20v packs on Ryobi 18v tools.

I'll be getting one for a Ryobi tire inflator, as the dewalt one is huge and expensive with too much other junk.

Dewalt has some nice outdoor tools that have popped up lately, including brushless weedeaters and chainsaws, both 20 and 60v variants. My 60v chainsaw works great, but I wish I'd waited for the 20v model to come out.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I have to say. I've been doing a lot of work on my 1999 Jeep. And my friend has been helping me. He has a HF cordless impact driver(?). And man does that thing make life easy. On a 20 yr old Jeep with even mildly corroded bolts and screws (some not so mildly). That thing makes easy work of it. I used hand tools on my seats and a few other things. And ended up with tendonitis in my elbow for like 5 months now. I reefed way to hard on those corroded seat bolts.

His impact driver literally saved me. He came by and took off my trailer hitch and bumpers. Had I done that with hand tools. It would have been murder on my elbow and joints. Needless to say I'm sold. I have a new cordless drill from HF. That is sweet. But I'm going to get a cordless impact driver next. I can't say enough good things about them. It's essential to auto work.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Anyone here roll the dice on these? Think if U look around the store they have the lug nut sockets that go with this.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:32 pm

jor-el wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:14 pm
Anyone here roll the dice on these? Think if U look around the store they have the lug nut sockets that go with this.
Notice that's for tool only. No battery or charger. You might find a coupon for the one that comes with the bat and charger. I'm pretty sure that's the one my friend has. It's worked good for some time for him. AT least it looks very used. And he works on cars all the time.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:06 pm

We have a ton of Ryobi 18v tools.

However, I've yet to see anybody suggest our primary source for them: pawn shops. We've picked up all sorts at anywhere from 20-60% of the original price, generally with batteries. We make sure to test them out in the shop to make sure they at least run. We ask to put the battery on a charger so we can see if it shows any errors. My husband hauls around a load of tools and batteries in his work truck (which means they're getting abused in the west Texas and New Mexico oilfields and sand plants), and hasn't had any major problems. We have 2 single chargers and at least one double charger. If we're traveling, the whole lot ends up in the RV, under the dinette bench.

His favorite "tool" is the fan - he has to have one blowing on him while he sleeps, and a single battery will run it all through the night. It's one of the few things he purchased at the store at full price.

I'm a big fan of the weed eater - it's light enough for the 12-year-old to manage and a battery lasts halfway around the houses and porches.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:01 am

I have a few questions about impact wrench type 20v tools:

Sticking with the Bauer brand as that is the same as my drill. What is the difference between an impact driver and a hammer drill and a drill/driver? And what can you do with a 1/4" Hex? This impact driver has a 1/4" hex attachment on the end. Does that limit me to 1/4" sockets without an adapter? And with an adapter could I run larger sockets like 1/2"?

I'm looking at the first three on this page.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?ca ... 26&q=bauer

Return to “Bug Out Gear”