New NBC drama: Revolution

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Re: New NBC drama: Revolution

Post by Phoenix David » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Rev wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:
crypto wrote:This looks a lot less like an EMP, and more like a ripoff of the Stirling novel "Dies the fire"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the book, fire and all derivative technology basically stops working. Guns don't work, either.
That would kind of suck for about a month and then almost everyone everyone would be dead.

No fire = No Sun.
Limited to the surface of our planet. Alien Space Bats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_space_bats
S. M. Stirling credited Brooks with creating the term in the acknowledgments section of Dies the Fire[6] and also used the plot device to send Nantucket back in time in Island in the Sea of Time and change the laws of nature in Dies the Fire.[7][8] One character throughout Dies the Fire and its sequels believes the change to the laws of nature was done by an advanced alien race because the changes were finely tailored and refers to this race as alien space bats.[9][10] In a review of Dies the Fire, Dale Cozort addressed the perceived implausibility of the novel by saying "Just say to yourself, 'The elder gods or alien space bats took our toys away and that’s all there is to it.'"[11] Paul Di Filippo uses the term often when reviewing the series.[8][12] The term also appeared in John Birmingham's 2008 novel Without Warning.[13]
Ah that all makes sense now :wink:

Kind of makes me glad I don't have TV anymore
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Dies the Fire is a good book, and an ok series. Also oddly enough, fire itself still works.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

It appears they have released Sept 17 10/9 central :clap:

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Phoenix David wrote:
Rev wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:
crypto wrote:This looks a lot less like an EMP, and more like a ripoff of the Stirling novel "Dies the fire"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the book, fire and all derivative technology basically stops working. Guns don't work, either.
That would kind of suck for about a month and then almost everyone everyone would be dead.

No fire = No Sun.
Limited to the surface of our planet. Alien Space Bats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_space_bats (Snip)
Before there was EMP
Before there was Alien Space Bats
Before there was Dies the Fire
There was the Waverlies. In his short story (1945) Frederic Brown tells the tale - but with a happier ending that we see today.

A clif notes kinda review
“The Waverlies,” Fredric Brown, 1945 —

George Bailey, a radio ad writer, listens to the fulsome ads of his rival while drinking and playing gin rummy with Maisie, a friend. A tapping similar to Morse code interrupts one of the ads. Suspecting this to be a sign of something big, he rushes to the studio, where he debates the situation with colleagues.

They run through the possibilities. If space is warped, the first Morse code signals could be coming back after only 56 years. If so, next would be Marconi’s transmission, then the first phonograph, playing Handel’s Largo. They soon switch theories: It may be an attempt at communication from somewhere in the constellation Leo. But the signals are indiscriminate, the entire planet is flooded with everything from the voice of Will Rogers to soap opera to snatches of music to flashes of “the Pearl Harbour excitement.”

Mass hysteria ensues, Bible sales skyrocket, people stockpile guns. Newspapers run the headline that “scientists say Earth invaded” and people clamor for information on the “vaders.” A scientist speculates that the earth is now surrounded by alien lifeforms that can inhabit wave transmissions, which they’ve ridden back to earth.

True or not, the waves have the effect of interfering with electricity. Modern society suddenly finds itself returning to candles, the printing press, and steam locomotives. An emergency Economic and Transportation bureau is established, horses are confiscated by the government, cattle are used for plowing. Cinema, radio, and television are a thing of the past. Massive unemployment ensues, necessitating a Factory Readjustment Bureau.

After some adaptation, the population decreases and suddenly there is plenty of room for people. Other benefits gradually emerge: the economy stabilizes, people are healthier from riding bikes, playing more games, learning to play musical instruments. Bailey, now freed from the “awful guff” that used to come from the radio, is now working on a novel, and silence is a pleasure.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 am

i funded the kickstarter project - got my copy months ago. it was an ok watch - nothing great, but glad i could help fund it.

the edward furlong movie... that writing in the plot just sounds horrible. I'll also watch that movie, but it just sounds like a pos just from reading the imdb entry. lol.

TEC9man

Post by TEC9man » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Loved S.M. Stirling's "Marching through Georgia".
Psalm 27:1-5
All the above statements are that of TEC9man and not necesarily that of ZS, it's moderators or members.

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 pm

"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 am

I watched it on line yesterday on Hulu. While I liked the concept, the pilot didn't have enough backstory to make me suspend disbelief. Starting with their farm cul-de-sac I liked the idea, but where were all the other houses? Same with the algebra teacher's place. Was she already living on a 150 year old farm when the lights went out 15 years ago? While I not the firearms enthusiast like some of my fellow ZS members, even I found the sudden reversion to muzzle loaders to hard to swallow without some explanation. Was there some big post-lights out civil war that used up the existing stockpile of bullets and smokeless powder for reloads?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 am

Just watched the pilot, and not bad. A decent start, though I would say it is not the most amazing show I have seen. Reminds me of Falling Skies. Good enough to watch but not so amazing I would really look forward to it, more just something to watch since there isn't much good stuff out there anyways.

I see why people are complaining about a bunch of loose ends and questions about what is going on, but I think this was done on purpose. They want you to tune in again to find the answers, though I think it was not exactly done well enough I understand that is what they were doing. Setting up questions and then hoping you will come back to learn the answers.

At least some questions were answered for me, now seeing this. The reason villages/towns don't have firearms is they are banned and it is a hanging offense for anyone but the militia to have a firearm. While yeas some militia had bows, swords, and muzzle loaders, the one leader of the militia group had an definite not muzzle loading pistol. So obviously there are some better firearms, they just haven't explained what is going on and why there aren't a bunch of better guns out there. I imagine there will be some more explanations happening in the next few episodes.

Well we will see how well they do with this show in the coming episodes, though it still isn't officially started so this was just a sneak peek and they will then rebroadcast this then finally really start up the show.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

yale

Post by yale » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm

I just watched it on Hulu and will give it one or two more episodes to decide if I want to follow it further.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:10 pm

I really liked the pilot! I LOL'd when the militia guy said that "owning a firearm was punishable by hanging" it made it especially funny the fact that they were more than likely in Illinois... :rofl:

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Definitely had that Falling Skies network feel. And the bad guy is Gustavo "Gus" Fring? Is he there to open another Los Pollos Hermanos and sell meth? Maybe I watch to much Breaking Bad but I'm having a hard time seeing him play someone else.

Oh and what was with the brother sword fighting scene with the Crazy 88? Did everyone become a ninja after the EMP? How did they do that without youtube? Guess Paladin Press books are hot shit again.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:55 am

Just finished watching it "On Demand" (full episode preview)

It's ok. It's not anything stellar, but I wasn't expecting another WD or GoT to be honest. I totally see the Falling Skies relation, it does have that feel to it. Hopefully it doesn't go downhill like FS did this season. Lots of loose ends, but like stated in a post above, that's probably on purpose. I hope the series lasts long enough to tie them up.

There were quite a few WTF moments, apparently the changes in physics mentioned by teacher boy also affected how fast paint deteriorates, makes plastic rust, and changed the water tables/sea level as well. At least we did get to see that yes, there are still firearms of a non black-powder nature in use. Alas, it is unlikely that they will kill off the annoying main character girl anytime soon. But I'll watch, it is at least interesting, and I do want to see more of this kind of show on TV. Just... please, hire better writers. please.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

DriveInMutant
Favorite Zombie Movies: "Dawn of the Dead(78)", "Zombi 2", "The Dead"

Post by DriveInMutant » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Just watched it myself on Hulu, my initial response is.. meh. A few too many coincidences in the plot to take it seriously. There's also the problem of pacing. They have to make a dangerous trek across hostile territory that seems to promise doom... but they seem to make it there over the course of two days, on foot? I also like the fact that 15 years into a post-apoc lifestyle, nobody seems to have aged. I guess it's not as stressful as you'd think it'd be. Oddly enough, most of the commericals were for credit card companies, which is a nice way to immediately smash your immersion into the primitive/futuristic mindset.
"If I were stuck on an island, and could only take one thing with me, I'd take you, because you would get me off that island!"

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:57 pm

DriveInMutant wrote:Just watched it myself on Hulu, my initial response is.. meh. A few too many coincidences in the plot to take it seriously. There's also the problem of pacing. They have to make a dangerous trek across hostile territory that seems to promise doom... but they seem to make it there over the course of two days, on foot? I also like the fact that 15 years into a post-apoc lifestyle, nobody seems to have aged. I guess it's not as stressful as you'd think it'd be. Oddly enough, most of the commericals were for credit card companies, which is a nice way to immediately smash your immersion into the primitive/futuristic mindset.
That was another thing that bothered me, the pacing was a bit off. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed it.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Watching it now. I would like think sudden loss of power in a commercial airliner causes it to nose dive, not flat spin...

Okay seems all of the rules of physics are fucked, crossbows that knock people back?
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:09 pm

KentsOkay wrote:Watching it now. I would like think sudden loss of power in a commercial airliner causes it to nose dive, not flat spin...

Okay seems all of the rules of physics are fucked, crossbows that knock people back?
Or that fend off repeated sword strikes with apparently no ill effect?

Or what about the odds that in looking up your long lost, reclusive and mysterious uncle that's been incognito for 15 years, with only the clue "he lives in Chicago" to go on, that literally the first person you ask not only knows who he is, but, ah, IS him. OK....... I'm all for brisk and efficient plotting, but that one's a little hard to swallow.

I share most posters' viewpoint that while an interesting concept, the pilot left me decidely flat. The central idea that something fundamentally altered the nature of electro-magnetism and that those pendants have the ability to locally reverse it is pretty intriguing.

But on balance this whole series has a decidely sanitized Terra Nova feel to it that for me at least, doesn't suggest it's going to be must-see TV.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm

I like it better than the first episode of "Falling Skies", but it is no "Walking Dead" or even "Supernatural" for that matter. Way too quick paced, I was like "wait what, over already?". I will cut leading lady "Charlie" some slack, the actress is 16, which is very refreshing considering we are used to high schoolers being played by people in their late 20's. As long as they keep swashbuckling, I shall be watching this show.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:10 pm

KentsOkay wrote:I will cut leading lady "Charlie" some slack, the actress is 16...
Ok, knowing that makes her make a little more sense, but her character is still whiny, naive, and a bit slow in the head. I hope that life walking the roads (if we ever get to see that part of this world, lol) changes that.

KentsOkay

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:52 pm

DJH wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:I will cut leading lady "Charlie" some slack, the actress is 16...
Ok, knowing that makes her make a little more sense, but her character is still whiny, naive, and a bit slow in the head. I hope that life walking the roads (if we ever get to see that part of this world, lol) changes that.
I'm guessing the character is supposed to be 18-20 ish, but yeah they "cast down" in age as apposed to up. I'm looking forward to interviews explaining this.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
DJH wrote:
I'm guessing the character is supposed to be 18-20 ish, but yeah they "cast down" in age as apposed to up. I'm looking forward to interviews explaining this.
Probably planning ahead a bit. Nothing like casting a young actor only to have them outgrow the role before you're done shooting.

Blitzen2k5

Post by Blitzen2k5 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 pm

KentsOkay wrote:Watching it now. I would like think sudden loss of power in a commercial airliner causes it to nose dive, not flat spin...

The airliner was the first problem I saw. Total loss of power and the plane stops in midair then starts falling straight down? Well that also answers the crossbow problem. Inertia is messed up in this PAW. Maybe flicking someone in the forehead with your finger sends them flying a mile away. However that teacher guy at the beginning did say something about physics being totally messed up. So maybe.

Only about 20 minutes into it. Still trying to figure something out. Crossbows work, black powder rifles work, and apparently so does lever action rifles. Yet no one carrying a proper assault rifle. Now that could be because its 15 years into the future and militias have expended all the ammo for those weapons. Dunno. But that is the most likely idea that comes to mind.

The series is kinda like meh so far. But it does bring up some serious questions about prepping. The kid with asthma having an attack in the middle of a field blowing flowery stuff all over. And the thing about ammo etc.
Looking down at this barren land once known as home before. Destruction, all the world. It's an ending we have brought.
Wyatt Earth Lyrics

All the evil in the world can be seen in the eyes of a chicken.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Hm. We need to see how a bouncy ball behaves in this revolted universe. That would solve the physics question.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Doc Torr wrote:Hm. We need to see how a bouncy ball behaves in this revolted universe. That would solve the physics question.

Or a spinning top.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”