New NBC drama: Revolution

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Re: New NBC drama: Revolution

Post by SeerSavant » Thu May 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Like Safeties on glocks, I'm willing to overlook the nitpicky stuff if the story is good...

Muzzle loaders strike me as weird though, I would expect at least revolvers and lever actions... And steam powered equipment....

hell, this series needs a good dose of steampunk, and I'm gonna be all over it...

Still, like Walking Dead...It may be full of What the??? but with J.J. Abrams, end of the world/no electricity basis, I'm gonna be watching....

RacinRob

Post by RacinRob » Thu May 24, 2012 8:22 pm

If it is any good it won't last long....

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 pm

RacinRob wrote:If it is any good it won't last long....
NBC.... not Fox...

it might have a chance...

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 pm

SeerSavant wrote:Muzzle loaders strike me as weird though, I would expect at least revolvers and lever actions... And steam powered equipment....
Even if for some reason advanced powders/primers didn't work there is no reason I would have a breechloading blackpowder rifle.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Rev wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:Muzzle loaders strike me as weird though, I would expect at least revolvers and lever actions... And steam powered equipment....
Even if for some reason advanced powders/primers didn't work there is no reason I would have a breechloading blackpowder rifle.
If (ala S.M.Stirling) all primers/firearms didn't work, I would choose a crossbow/compound/recurved bow with arrows over a muzzle loader any day...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 pm

SeerSavant wrote:
Rev wrote:
If (ala S.M.Stirling) all primers/firearms didn't work, I would choose a crossbow/compound/recurved bow with arrows over a muzzle loader any day...
That did not go so well for the indigenous people of North America.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 pm

ptAltered wrote:I'm not expecting much, obviously it's another PAW production that can't fathom that one of the millions of EBR's in existence would ever be used in post apocalyptia. I'll give it one episode but I'm sure it'll be another Jericho/Walking Dead... long on dramatic pauses and contrived improbable situations, little character development and hardly any serious gun fighting.
I wouldn't expect a lot of gunfighting 15 years after. Like I said, that first year, sure. The first 5 years even.

But after 15 years? Nobody's expecting the lights to suddenly come back on, or new crates of ammo or guns to start getting shipped in anymore. Remnants of the old world are just that: remnants. This is the new dark age, and few enough people today have the chemistry knowledge to make smokeless powder and primers at home. Reloading is all good, but you need something to reload with. Once you burn all your powder and primers, even AK's and Mosins are just sticks that will mount a bayonet. No electricity means no ZS to learn how to make the right powder and primers to reload cartridges. Blackpowder is still relatively easy, or at least as easy as it was before, and lead balls are still easy enough to hand cast around the fire.

Suddenly the flintlock is the most reliable MBR on Earth all over again. And its main competition is the longbow/crossbow.

Remember the French and Indian Wars? Nothing new under the sun, as they say...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Thu May 24, 2012 9:39 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:Remember the French and Indian Wars? Nothing new under the sun, as they say...
When you add an efficient breech loading system and the minnie ball the French and Indian war look like child's play.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu May 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Some day... once I get into reloading I WILL work up a recipe for homemade black powder, lead bullet, re-loaded primer (strike-anywhere match compound), steel case 7.62x39 reloads that actually cycle. All the pieces are out there, just gotta combine them into one caveman loading :lol:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

zenger

Re: Re: New NBC drama: Revolution

Post by zenger » Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
ptAltered wrote:I'm not expecting much, obviously it's another PAW production that can't fathom that one of the millions of EBR's in existence would ever be used in post apocalyptia. I'll give it one episode but I'm sure it'll be another Jericho/Walking Dead... long on dramatic pauses and contrived improbable situations, little character development and hardly any serious gun fighting.
I wouldn't expect a lot of gunfighting 15 years after. Like I said, that first year, sure. The first 5 years even.

But after 15 years? Nobody's expecting the lights to suddenly come back on, or new crates of ammo or guns to start getting shipped in anymore. Remnants of the old world are just that: remnants. This is the new dark age, and few enough people today have the chemistry knowledge to make smokeless powder and primers at home. Reloading is all good, but you need something to reload with. Once you burn all your powder and primers, even AK's and Mosins are just sticks that will mount a bayonet. No electricity means no ZS to learn how to make the right powder and primers to reload cartridges. Blackpowder is still relatively easy, or at least as easy as it was before, and lead balls are still easy enough to hand cast around the fire.

Suddenly the flintlock is the most reliable MBR on Earth all over again. And its main competition is the longbow/crossbow.

Remember the French and Indian Wars? Nothing new under the sun, as they say...
I like this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 pm

AKFTW wrote:Some day... once I get into reloading I WILL work up a recipe for homemade black powder, lead bullet, re-loaded primer (strike-anywhere match compound), steel case 7.62x39 reloads that actually cycle. All the pieces are out there, just gotta combine them into one caveman loading :lol:

Once you finish that, some caseless rocket ball ammo;

In one of these...

Please :D

As far as the musket versus bow and arrow... A compound bow cannot be really compared to a longbow, nor can we discount the wildly different tactics used, nor the vast influx of colonials versus the nomadic local tribe, who also warred with each other...

I think.... My opinion of course.... that in a medieval type society, a decent compound bow would wreak far more damage in much faster reload time than any muzzle loading rifle...
Especially if it's raining...

Of course, that was barring any cartridge guns working... Once you get cartridge guns, revolvers, lever guns, then it's a whole new ball game...

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Fri May 25, 2012 11:07 am

I'm just REALLY curious about the whole conspiracy side of it, and how is it that after 15 years that no one has been able to rebuild new working electronics or other modern equipment. It's not like all the engineers, chemist, scientist suddenly died off or something...

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri May 25, 2012 1:39 pm

smokinbunta wrote:I'm just REALLY curious about the whole conspiracy side of it, and how is it that after 15 years that no one has been able to rebuild new working electronics or other modern equipment. It's not like all the engineers, chemist, scientist suddenly died off or something...
I think the device prevents electricity from working, so even if you build them, they won't work. Just sit back and enjoy the show :D
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

ptAltered

Post by ptAltered » Fri May 25, 2012 11:28 pm

smokinbunta wrote:I'm just REALLY curious about the whole conspiracy side of it, and how is it that after 15 years that no one has been able to rebuild new working electronics or other modern equipment. It's not like all the engineers, chemist, scientist suddenly died off or something...

Yeah, same with guns.

If all the power died, including back ups, the military wouldn't be able to access any ammo stored behind an electronically locked door. I just can't fathom how long the ammo supply in the world would last, especially the stockpiles some people have that live in remote areas and wont' be using much. One guy with an AR-15 and a soda bottle could take out an entire militia force from 150m with little chance of return fure. He'd be the god of the brave new world.

Anyway, guess I'll watch it before I become disappointed.
"Attention Criminals; due to the rising costs of ammunition all warning shots will be fired into your chest and face!"

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat May 26, 2012 7:44 am

It's J.J. Abrams, so the looming plot question is: Magic or science?

My guess is the show's going to have lots of little clues dropped and no answers. Re: Lost.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat May 26, 2012 7:50 am

Boondock wrote:It's J.J. Abrams, so the looming plot question is: Magic or science?

My guess is the show's going to have lots of little clues dropped and no answers. Re: Lost.
I've got a nice stretch of cinder block wall all ready to explore with my forehead on this one. :x

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Sat May 26, 2012 12:11 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Boondock wrote:It's J.J. Abrams, so the looming plot question is: Magic or science?

I've got a nice stretch of cinder block wall all ready to explore with my forehead on this one. :x

And I'll just stick to drywall... :lol:

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Blacksmith wrote:I wonder if the chicks will have all the makeup and hair care products 15 years after like they did on Jericho? Safe money says yes; but you never know.
In the end of all things, my gf will happily climb over my dead and mangled corpse to get at an eyeliner pencil or some of that hair de-frizzy gel stuff. I don't know what it is, I just know it smells good and she would probably kill me if I happened to be standing in between her and the last bottle of it.

I will probably check this show out just because I kind of like the Billy Burke guy even though I was forced to watch him in all those sparkle vampire movies. The show, though, looks like it is going to be whitewashed and kinder and gentler in terms of life in the PAW. Which means lots of good looking young people with good clothes and hair will dominate all the storytelling. And they will all be kind of unrealistic in their demeanor, dialogue, and disposition.

So, I think I will just come at this from the angle of "ok, a bit of light bubblegum PAW for the kiddies, let's pop some popcorn and have fun" and not, say, what a show with this theme should actually be, ie dirty, gross, violent (ie, what people are normally when you cut off the power) in which case it would air on HBO and the main characters would not be hot teenage girls. :lol: :x

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat May 26, 2012 5:07 pm

basm wrote:
Blacksmith wrote:I wonder if the chicks will have all the makeup and hair care products 15 years after like they did on Jericho? Safe money says yes; but you never know.
Which means lots of good looking young people with good clothes and hair will dominate all the storytelling.
And I'm guessing almost all the characters will have a perfect smile.

Teeth whitening strips: A Hollywood bug-out bag staple.

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Wait.... You mean in the Post Apocalyptic world women won't look like this????

Or This?

Or even this?

I guess this means I won't look like a cross between Max, Ash, and Snake, then huh.... :cry:

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:24 pm

SeerSavant wrote:I guess this means I won't look like a cross between Max, Ash, and Snake, then huh.... :cry:
Hey, you can be Max, I'll be Ash(guy with a gimpy limb), and the first person to show up with only one eye will be Snake.

Now, everyone try to remember to get 3 good bounces with the ramrod before trying to fire your longarm...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

smokinbunta

Post by smokinbunta » Tue May 29, 2012 11:43 am

SeerSavant wrote:Wait.... You mean in the Post Apocalyptic world women won't look like this????
I don't know man... I think it depends on how desperate you are at the time... Desperation goggle > Beer goggles :P Opera might start looking more like Tyra Banks... :lol:

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 30, 2012 1:13 am

People keep saying JJ Abrams, but he is not the director.

Executive Producers Eric Kripke, Jon Favreau, J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk

Writer Eric Kripke

Director Jon Favreau

Studio Warner Bros. Television, Bad Robot

Jon Favreau is directing, and the director has a lot more control over what happens than the producer. Jon Favreau is also one of the producers along with JJ Abrams and the writer Eric Kripke. So really people should stop thinking of this as an Abrams show and start thinking of it as a Jon Favreau show. He will be influencing it the most.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 pm

Looks dumb. Why would they not have better technology? You don't need electric components for a basic engine, or even steam engine. I'm also pretty sure they could set up to reload cartridge based ammunition without electricity as well.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”