New NBC drama: Revolution

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NamelessStain

Re: New NBC drama: Revolution

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:07 pm

OK, first episode seemed "rushed" to me like the producers made it a requirement that she find her uncle and show him as some sort of badass.

Second episode was much better imo. It shows a moral dilemma of Charlie having to decide when she feels it's justified to kill another human being.
- Someone hunting you, not OK to kill people.
- Prisoners/slavery, OK to kill people.

I'm hoping that the development of the Charlie character starts to show more and more changes in her views of the world. They started off well with a sheltered and idealistic young woman, now let's see how the real world reshapes her views.

Just remember, what's right and wrong is based upon one's viewpoint. Robin Hood robbed from the rich and gave to the poor making him a hero among the poor masses. But he robbed, which indeed made him a criminal in the eyes of the law.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 pm

JTNieman wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:What's wrong with the plot?

Mainly how they ignore the effects the major plot device (the blackout) should have had on the characters before we met them. I also think it is a bit to fast paced introducing new elements to quickly. The reveals we have seen in just the first two episodes could have easily been spaced out through the whole first season allowing more time for character development and learning how the world of Revolution works. Instead we are left with our heads spinning trying to keep up. At the pace they are going the lights will be back on by episode five and humanity will develope faster than light drives for their space ships in the season 2 finale.
Meh, better than The Walking Dead which bored me to tears because it wouldn't develop fast enough.
GODDAMIT CARL STAY IN THE HOUSE.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Doc Torr wrote: GODDAMIT CARL STAY IN THE HOUSE.
AMEN!!!!

Finally they get off the farm.... wait.. <shoulder sag> great, season 3 in a prison. /sigh
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:52 pm

JTNieman wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:What's wrong with the plot?

Mainly how they ignore the effects the major plot device (the blackout) should have had on the characters before we met them. I also think it is a bit to fast paced introducing new elements to quickly. The reveals we have seen in just the first two episodes could have easily been spaced out through the whole first season allowing more time for character development and learning how the world of Revolution works. Instead we are left with our heads spinning trying to keep up. At the pace they are going the lights will be back on by episode five and humanity will develope faster than light drives for their space ships in the season 2 finale.
Meh, better than The Walking Dead which bored me to tears because it wouldn't develop fast enough.
I like character development in stories, but yeah season two of WD was a bit slow paced. Supposedly they are going to fix that for season 3.

That is why I am holding out some hope for Revolution. AMC listened to the fans with Walking Dead and I am pretty sure we are all going to watch the new episodes when they start in a couple weeks. Hopefully the folks that make such decisions at NBC are paying attention to that and applying the lessons learned.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:56 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
AMEN!!!!

Finally they get off the farm.... wait.. <shoulder sag> great, season 3 in a prison. /sigh
Well, the Prison arc was great int he comics, and lasted 15x longer than the farm. IMO, they could spend a season int eh prison and have enough material to avoid a repeat of season two. Tie in: I really hope Revolutions can learn from this and keep the fast-paced drama. I can forgive a lot for good TV, and Revolutions has been growing on my. Might be the D&D nerd within though.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:
AMEN!!!!

Well, the Prison arc was great int he comics, and lasted 15x longer than the farm. IMO, they could spend a season int eh prison and have enough material to avoid a repeat of season two. Tie in: I really hope Revolutions can learn from this and keep the fast-paced drama. I can forgive a lot for good TV, and Revolutions has been growing on my. Might be the D&D nerd within though.
They've already veered away from the comics enough that I could see this season as mostly the prison. Then next season back to the road.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:38 pm

NamelessStain wrote: They've already veered away from the comics enough that I could see this season as mostly the prison. Then next season back to the road.
There's a comic for Revolution?

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:40 pm

JTNieman wrote:
NamelessStain wrote: They've already veered away from the comics enough that I could see this season as mostly the prison. Then next season back to the road.
There's a comic for Revolution?
The Walking Dead. Doc and I stole the thread for a few comments :)

Back OT: It would be cool for googleman to fly the chopper.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:42 pm

I was comparing the rate of plot development, saying that Revolutions needs to learn from this. I could see a graphic novel tie-in (similar to what was done with Heroes) but my main hope is that they avoid the pitfall that was S2 of Walking Dead.

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:49 pm

I think the main difference between Revolution and WD at this point is that the Revolutions people have a destination in mind, or at least something to travel towards, whereas in TWD they were just bumbling from one safe haven to the next. I predict much more in the way of movement for Revolution than the first few seasons of TWD.

I'm sort of liking it so far, but I did watch ep2 whilst suffering from fever delirium :awesome:
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Steve74
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Walking Dead show

Post by Steve74 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:39 pm

I watched the trailer and it's really stupid.

So the freedom loving militia is now building a dictatorship and taking away the liberty from everybody.
The militia members own guns but they say no one else should.
The movie suggest arrows are superior and nice, but only bad and evil people own fireamrs.

Let's face it, It's not a Red Dawn style tv show. :roll:

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am

was it *supposed* to be a red dawn TV show?

Maybe I missed a memo....

:clownshoes:
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:14 am

Steve74 wrote:I watched the trailer and it's really stupid.

So the freedom loving militia is now building a dictatorship and taking away the liberty from everybody.
The movie suggest arrows are superior and nice, but only bad and evil people own fireamrs.

What are you talking about?

I'm curious... The main character has a crossbow, not really sure where it suggested that arrows are superior. Also, where did you get that the militia is freedom loving?

I'm not saying you have to watch the series or anything, but making judgements as to the agenda of a series based off of a trailer is a little silly...

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:13 am

Steve74 wrote:I watched the trailer and it's really stupid.

I think you must be confusing this show with another, or something.

It's quite clear that firearms are superior to crossbows and bows. The militia rules because they control the arms.

Since when is the militia freedom loving? Dude's are pretty clear they're just wanting to rule.

Not only bad and evil people own firearms... there were some people in the original village that had some hidden away, and then a regular guy had one who was just hunting, they were killed for their crimes. They establish that the good people would love to own firearms - they are just forced otherwise.

What does Red Dawn have to do with anything?

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 am

Steve74 wrote:Let's face it, It's not a Red Dawn style tv show. :roll:
You're absolutely correct. Neither is it a Golden Girls style tv show, and we should crucify them for that sad and criminal fact.

ETA: Come to think of it, it's nothing like Charles in Charge either! FUCK YOU REVOLUTION!
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 am

I tried to watch the 2nd episode this morning on On-Demand.

Made it to the point where pirate-uncle-bro has the bounty hunter dude and is about to kill him, and whiny-trendy-t&a says don't kill him.

Turned it off. Over it.

Oct 14th, please get here quickly.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:30 pm

DJH wrote:I tried to watch the 2nd episode this morning on On-Demand.

Made it to the point where pirate-uncle-bro has the bounty hunter dude and is about to kill him, and whiny-trendy-t&a says don't kill him.

Turned it off. Over it.

Oct 14th, please get here quickly.
Seriously, go back and finish it. It's the whole moral dilemma plot.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:12 pm

DJH wrote:whiny-trendy-t&a says don't kill him.
If that's all it takes to turn you off of a TV show, you should consider lowering your standards.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

colemoge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days & Weeks Later

Post by colemoge » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Terrible show. Terrible.

Maybe good to introduce an 11 yr old to the topic. But its so corny, fake and unreal.

Just pathetic.
Those fighters with no losses on thier records are obviously fighting the wrong opponents.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm sorry guys, but this show is fun if you are willing to laugh at it. I'm enjoying Myles's quips. I picture him as "one of us" in this situation, with a tag along band of incompetents.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm

For those who unequivovally hate the show: What did you expect coming into it, and what do you hate about it?

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Still a better love story than Twilight.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 pm

JTNieman wrote:Still a better love story than Twilight.
This cannot be argued. QFT.

That actress just annoys the everloving crap out of me, that's the main reason I quit it. I may go back and finish it, but that girl is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 pm

DJH wrote:
JTNieman wrote:Still a better love story than Twilight.
This cannot be argued. QFT.

That actress just annoys the everloving crap out of me, that's the main reason I quit it. I may go back and finish it, but that girl is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
I get that. I know people IRL who do that to me, for no good goddamn reason. Can't explain it.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”