New NBC drama: Revolution

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: New NBC drama: Revolution

Post by KentsOkay » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:Hm. We need to see how a bouncy ball behaves in this revolted universe. That would solve the physics question.

Or a spinning top.

0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm

KentsOkay wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:
Doc Torr wrote:Hm. We need to see how a bouncy ball behaves in this revolted universe. That would solve the physics question.

Or a spinning top.

My work is done here.

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I think I can give a plausible explanation to the civil war era rifles.
When we first see the people in the little farming (housing plan) take a good look at their clothing.
Some people are wearing modern cloths, while others are wearing homemade clothing.
This makes perfect logical sense. Eventually things wear out and we need new stuff or we have kids and they just keep on growing!
The same thing can be said of the small arms.
At first everyone is using modern weaponry (minus the electronics), then things break, get repaired, run low on ammo, etc.
Every milling machine in existence today uses electric motors. Maybe they can be adapted to run on bike or water power; maybe not.
My point is that eventually these people will need to produce their own weaponry and ammo, especially if they are fielding a militia.
Producing a rifle similar to a civil war era one makes a lot of sense.

The electric motor was invented in 1821. Given the total lack of the ability to use electricity, then it makes perfect sense that our ability to produce new technology has been downgraded back to the civil war era of 1861.

What annoys me the most about this show now is the chemistry! How can gunpowder explode, but a battery can't produce a working charge?
Heck our bodies are electric in nature! If no electricity could do any meaningful work, then the signals to my heart should stop! :ohdear:

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 pm

SiXiam wrote:I think I can give a plausible explanation to the civil war era rifles.
When we first see the people in the little farming (housing plan) take a good look at their clothing.
Some people are wearing modern cloths, while others are wearing homemade clothing.
This makes perfect logical sense. Eventually things wear out and we need new stuff or we have kids and they just keep on growing!
The same thing can be said of the small arms.
At first everyone is using modern weaponry (minus the electronics), then things break, get repaired, run low on ammo, etc.
Every milling machine in existence today uses electric motors. Maybe they can be adapted to run on bike or water power; maybe not.
My point is that eventually these people will need to produce their own weaponry and ammo, especially if they are fielding a militia.
Producing a rifle similar to a civil war era one makes a lot of sense.

The electric motor was invented in 1821. Given the total lack of the ability to use electricity, then it makes perfect sense that our ability to produce new technology has been downgraded back to the civil war era of 1861.

What annoys me the most about this show now is the chemistry! How can gunpowder explode, but a battery can't produce a working charge?
Heck our bodies are electric in nature! If no electricity could do any meaningful work, then the signals to my heart should stop! :ohdear:
Fairly good analysis, though I am willing to give the show a few more episodes to try and explain the lack of electricity before being completely disillusioned by their premise. This was just the pilot, and they had to introduce a lot of stuff. I can over look them just sort of skimming over the issues of what the black out was, especially since they seem to be setting it up like the nuclear attack conspiracy of Jericho. I suspect they will have to do some more explaining in the next few episodes about what is happening and how this could theoretically work. I would suggest giving them a little more time to explain before calling foul.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:37 pm

ineffableone wrote:Fairly good analysis, though I am willing to give the show a few more episodes to try and explain the lack of electricity before being completely disillusioned by their premise. This was just the pilot, and they had to introduce a lot of stuff. I can over look them just sort of skimming over the issues of what the black out was, especially since they seem to be setting it up like the nuclear attack conspiracy of Jericho. I suspect they will have to do some more explaining in the next few episodes about what is happening and how this could theoretically work. I would suggest giving them a little more time to explain before calling foul.
Yeah, certainly they can take the time to explain it. Obviously they even mentioned it by saying no one knows and physics just went bonkers. I probably should be more critical of the uncle killing 20 people! :lol:

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:19 am

Where are the Amish? Don't they already know how to (mostly) live without electricity.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:26 am

Red Tamarillo wrote:Where are the Amish? Don't they already know how to (mostly) live without electricity.
LOL, good question. You know you would think Anmish and other low tech religious groups like them would become much more prevalent in a PAW world. Guess they don't make attractive characters in Hollywood stories. I would like to see someone actually do a PAW story that has a bunch of Amish thriving with hardly any bump to their way of life. LOL
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:46 am

the_alias 'found' his grandpa's blackpowder (I think) and casting equipment in the loft or storage, and smelted a lead bullet a fe days ago - I don't see that being too far fetched.

Yes the physics are farked, but you can thank the upsurge in wire fu for that imho, and again, I'm not too surprised that the ex-special forces HOOMAN WEHPUN can swash a good buckle - and I can suspend disbelief in other sword fighters since it would appear to me that at some point after the event (I'm guessing nano clouds btw) there was a civil war or at least a fight between the gub'ment and some super secret squirrel military dudes, clearly the .mil won and have become the W militia,who then probably cut there way through their acquired territory collecting up young men and their weapons as or after they campaigned thus effectively taking the majority of working firearms out of the 'publics' hands (now conscripted into the militia) leaving them with limited supply and whatever they hid or had hanging on the mantle. It would also make sense for the militia to train its men in variant forms of combat, non?

(tired forgive me for probably talking in circles)

I can see how a lot of this situation may have come to light, and I'm willing to give it a go instead of dismissing it out of hand based on nothing more than not liking the current fashionable style of specialeffects or the way in which the story is told, I also think this pilot was better than the falling skies pilot, and since her entire immediate family has either been killed, died or taken/on the run, don't see much room for the falling skies brand of touchy feely boring stuff.

maybe I'll elucidate further once my brain wakes up

s/once/if/

ALSO: it occurs to me that the dudes left on the farm at the beginning were either mid twenties, or mid forties+ so they would have been either kids or late to early thirties adults - and most of them seemed to have some form of education, the doctor, the google guy, and whatever daddy mcdead did, so perhaps they were all (smartly) hiding the hell away or whatever during my theorised fighting
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:32 am

smokinbunta wrote:I wouldn't doubt that the "stock footage" isn't original.. cause even tho it's on NBC it was probably on a SYFY budget...
Likely so. The Walking Dead was done kind of cheaply at first until they determined it's success. Remember the quality special effects when they blew the gubmint science research facility thing? lol
AKFTW wrote:Lack of modern firearms without plausible explanation peeved me a bit, as well as the general cleanliness of everyone. But getting past the obvious "done for atmospheric reasons" things like that, it looks like it has potential and, well, JJ Abrams makes good stuff.
They already mentioned that the 'feudal lords' roving the region made it illegal to possess firearms - even that flintlock that got the one guy in trouble, and shot. The leader carried his semi-auto pistol (Desert Eagle, if I remember right?) around and shot without hesitation, so it would appear he has no concern over ammunition resupply.

I'm thinking that guns were just grabbed.

As for the cosmetic things... let it go. If you -must- come up with a way to resolve it's logic in your head, think of it like this: the director is trying to convey a general level of relative cleanliness/hygeine in relation to the others. If he garbed them up in a realistic way for the environment they're in, to our current modern perception they'd all just appear the same - dirt filthy and nasty, with no differentiation between them. By keeping them in a smaller amount of filth, we are able to look at some people as being nastier and more desperate than others, and filthier and more sinister. By keeping some only mildly filthy, we're able to see them as more civilized and and less likely to act on desperation over morality. It's a damned production device - not an inaccuracy. It's so we, in our current context, can be told things without words. You might look at details like this and tell yourself you're the only ones thinking this through seriously, but you're not the ones thinking, from where I'm standing. ;)

Anyways, I kind of liked the show. Maybe I am a little more easy going, and while I laughed when the crossbow sent someone flying back, I instantly got over it. I'm interested and curious enough to see how it all unravels. I guess maybe I don't see such a PAW as a real possibility (crazy, I know, right?) so I'm not as personally offended when it doesn't happen exactly how I expect.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 pm

It inspired me to watch Jericho over the last few days in a marathon run... That I enjoyed....

Now i will probably enjoy this show much less... well lesser... Well, I'll watch it if the remote is too far to reach and I'm too damn lazy to get out of the chair....

Actually I'd probably get up and change the channel...

I dunno, it's actually just boring....

I'll try...

Well mebbe. Everything that folks (advertizers) tout as a plus for the show, to me seem a minus... Mebbe i'm just in a contrary mode.

EDIT; BTW, first episode is up at NBC http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/pilot/1415378 EXPECT LOTS OF COMMERCIALS...

Gonna watch it again tonight, for now I'm solidly in the camp of "meh"... Visual effects are great (well, except for the first 5 minutes, which are a bit, too brief and not so great) some of the images are okay, in a kinda lost world, earth without people, kinda way... But it's just.... Nothing unexpected, nothing that makes me go, whoa.

Honestly, it's poorly written, cliched laden and I won't spoil anything (kinda hard to spoil a storyline that has nothing there...)

Few observations (spoiler alert... sorta...)

Yes, Guns do work, and there are even a few modern ones, but they are in the hands of the various warlords... And having a gun (if your one of the 'serfs') is a crime. a lot of things are really glossed over (some kinda muddy flat coke apparently helps with asthma, although 15 year old inhalers still manage to work :roll: ) For the most part nature is covering just enough of somethings, but not enough of others, mainly for plot points, and skin and hair care products are still readilly available...

Also... One point of irritation... In one scene, you have what obviously was a cul de sac, where the backyards are not really looked at, and the front yards are like mini gardens, but in one driveway is (I believe) a Prius, or some other compact car that is rusting away and is currently a elevated garden bed... Really? You couldn't push a point harder unless marlon Wayans jumped out from behind a bush and yelled "message" at the top of his lungs... sheesh...

One character (hint, he's fat and wears a tattered AC DC tee shirt) used to work for something called "google" and apparently would trade all of his currency for a roll of toilet paper... Yep, that's the stuff that points to comic relief I guess.

And it's all set up, you know who the bad guys are, and who the good guys are, and in between you have too clean faces, smudged with enough dirt to say, high, I'm wearing the red shirt...

In the end, it's really kinda a let down... It's not really that interesting to me, and aside from visuals (some moments are pretty cool, in a world without people kinda way) which are usually interrupted by the "plot" points...
Why is it that when you have an image that practically explains itself, you have to have characters talk it up, as if the random viewer will go, hey... why is that there?...

Revolution is the type of show that will leave you thinking... Coulda been so good... Hell, it could have been fantastic, but instead it commits a cardinal sin... It's dumb.

My opinion/review...

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 pm

It inspired me to watch Jericho over the last few days in a marathon run... That I enjoyed....
And jericho isn't one of the most poorly written ridiculous PAW scenario's ever?
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:34 pm

SeerSavant wrote:It inspired me to watch Jericho over the last few days in a marathon run... That I enjoyed....

Now i will probably enjoy this show much less... well lesser... Well, I'll watch it if the remote is too far to reach and I'm too damn lazy to get out of the chair....

Actually I'd probably get up and change the channel...

I dunno, it's actually just boring....

I'll try...

Well mebbe. Everything that folks (advertizers) tout as a plus for the show, to me seem a minus... Mebbe i'm just in a contrary mode.

EDIT; BTW, first episode is up at NBC http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/pilot/1415378 EXPECT LOTS OF COMMERCIALS...

Gonna watch it again tonight, for now I'm solidly in the camp of "meh"... Visual effects are great (well, except for the first 5 minutes, which are a bit, too brief and not so great) some of the images are okay, in a kinda lost world, earth without people, kinda way... But it's just.... Nothing unexpected, nothing that makes me go, whoa.

Honestly, it's poorly written, cliched laden and I won't spoil anything (kinda hard to spoil a storyline that has nothing there...)

Few observations (spoiler alert... sorta...)

Yes, Guns do work, and there are even a few modern ones, but they are in the hands of the various warlords... And having a gun (if your one of the 'serfs') is a crime. a lot of things are really glossed over (some kinda muddy flat coke apparently helps with asthma, although 15 year old inhalers still manage to work :roll: ) For the most part nature is covering just enough of somethings, but not enough of others, mainly for plot points, and skin and hair care products are still readilly available...

Also... One point of irritation... In one scene, you have what obviously was a cul de sac, where the backyards are not really looked at, and the front yards are like mini gardens, but in one driveway is (I believe) a Prius, or some other compact car that is rusting away and is currently a elevated garden bed... Really? You couldn't push a point harder unless marlon Wayans jumped out from behind a bush and yelled "message" at the top of his lungs... sheesh...

One character (hint, he's fat and wears a tattered AC DC tee shirt) used to work for something called "google" and apparently would trade all of his currency for a roll of toilet paper... Yep, that's the stuff that points to comic relief I guess.

And it's all set up, you know who the bad guys are, and who the good guys are, and in between you have too clean faces, smudged with enough dirt to say, high, I'm wearing the red shirt...

In the end, it's really kinda a let down... It's not really that interesting to me, and aside from visuals (some moments are pretty cool, in a world without people kinda way) which are usually interrupted by the "plot" points...
Why is it that when you have an image that practically explains itself, you have to have characters talk it up, as if the random viewer will go, hey... why is that there?...

Revolution is the type of show that will leave you thinking... Coulda been so good... Hell, it could have been fantastic, but instead it commits a cardinal sin... It's dumb.

My opinion/review...
And now you know how the avg Hollywood type feels about most US viewers....

They lost me with the only explanation of the power loss being... alien space bats.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Who cares what the reason for the power loss was? Maybe they explain it later, and it's part of the climax? The mystery unfolds. If they told you everything in the _PILOT_ then it wouldn't be much worth going further would it?

Here's some other notable examples of PAW movies that leave the cause of the PAW somewhat mysterious:

Mad Max series doesn't really say if 'a war' was the reason, or if war broke out because of desperation... it just kinda says "times got real rough" without saying why.
The Postman (though it can be inferred that it was nuclear war, by the use of equipment detecting radioactivity in water)
Zombie movies that don't explain where the zombies came from.
The Road - absolutely no real guess
The Book of Eli - "the flash" that "burned a hole in the sky" could be a meteor or nuke, I guess. Never more clear than that.

It doesn't really matter HOW something happened, just so that the setting is defined, and we then are led along the path of how the characters deal with the challenges therein.

So why should this movie be any different? I don't remember anyone criticizing The Postman for it's lack of guns, or Mad Max. Mad Max certainly took place within 15 years, as the main character was of age to be an experienced cop before the collapse, or during it, and then still spry well into the PAW. It's not hard to believe that guns are MOSTLY, not completely, gone within 15 years, if we follow 'canon' of PAW filmography. The Book of Eli follows a similar vein, though it has a few more guns (also mostly in the hands of the villains, and not the commoners) and that was even in 'Merika.

I guess I don't understand how/why people criticize it so harshly when critically acclaimed movies exhibit similar aspects.

Quick Shot xMLx

Post by Quick Shot xMLx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Honestly I don't see why people are freaking out over the gun thing. At the end of the episode we clearly see the militia still has modern guns. After 15 years of civil war and chaos the ammunition supply among civilians would start to dry up, especially in a part of the country which is has a high population and low levels of armament. On top of that the militia has banned guns. It's pretty clear they(or someone before them) went around gun grabbing everything away from the civilians.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:02 pm

2 MORE HOURS! :clap:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:11 pm

JTNieman wrote:Who cares what the reason for the power loss was? Maybe they explain it later, and it's part of the climax? The mystery unfolds. If they told you everything in the _PILOT_ then it wouldn't be much worth going further would it?

Here's some other notable examples of PAW movies that leave the cause of the PAW somewhat mysterious:

Mad Max series doesn't really say if 'a war' was the reason, or if war broke out because of desperation... it just kinda says "times got real rough" without saying why.
The Postman (though it can be inferred that it was nuclear war, by the use of equipment detecting radioactivity in water)
Zombie movies that don't explain where the zombies came from.
The Road - absolutely no real guess
The Book of Eli - "the flash" that "burned a hole in the sky" could be a meteor or nuke, I guess. Never more clear than that.

It doesn't really matter HOW something happened, just so that the setting is defined, and we then are led along the path of how the characters deal with the challenges therein.

So why should this movie be any different? I don't remember anyone criticizing The Postman for it's lack of guns, or Mad Max. Mad Max certainly took place within 15 years, as the main character was of age to be an experienced cop before the collapse, or during it, and then still spry well into the PAW. It's not hard to believe that guns are MOSTLY, not completely, gone within 15 years, if we follow 'canon' of PAW filmography. The Book of Eli follows a similar vein, though it has a few more guns (also mostly in the hands of the villains, and not the commoners) and that was even in 'Merika.

I guess I don't understand how/why people criticize it so harshly when critically acclaimed movies exhibit similar aspects.
And why were the Amish not in any of those PAW movies? Red Tamarillo brought up a really good question of where are all the Amish? These are folks who are already living a more primitive life, and only grudgingly accept little bits of our modern ways. Amish and other groups like them would probably flourish in such a PAW situation as the power going away. But you never see them mentioned in PAW movies or TV shows. Huge parts of the Midwest and East coast have large Amish populations, these folks would keep going with barely a blip in their lifestyles with no power.

I agree with JTNieman that it seems folks are prematurely taking a dislike to this show. A lot of the dislike for the premise of the show started before the pilot was even available. So people were making judgments before the show even had the pilot to start explaining anything.

I have said a couple times I found the show sort of flat. That the pilot just didn't have the hook to make me get excited about it. However it was not so bad to not keep watching. Which is why I compared it to Falling Skies, another show I don't get excited about but is not bad enough to stop watching. So far Revolutions is just OK to me. And while yes there is some Hollywood special effects, and cheesy not realistic stuff, that is true of most every show or movie. As for the major issue of what made the power go out and why doesn't it come back. I am willing to give the show the chance to try and explain. As well I am willing to let them take a few episodes to explain some other details of the world they are in. Why they are down to only muzzle loaders, and other complaints heard. If given the chance some of these things might start getting answered. Today is the official air date for the pilot, so we still have a while before the next episode. I will reserve further judgment on the show's merits for after the 2nd and 3rd episodes. Then maybe I will decide if it is worth still watching.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 pm

ineffableone wrote: I have said a couple times I found the show sort of flat. That the pilot just didn't have the hook to make me get excited about it. However it was not so bad to not keep watching. Which is why I compared it to Falling Skies, another show I don't get excited about but is not bad enough to stop watching. So far Revolutions is just OK to me. And while yes there is some Hollywood special effects, and cheesy not realistic stuff, that is true of most every show or movie. As for the major issue of what made the power go out and why doesn't it come back. I am willing to give the show the chance to try and explain. As well I am willing to let them take a few episodes to explain some other details of the world they are in. Why they are down to only muzzle loaders, and other complaints heard. If given the chance some of these things might start getting answered. Today is the official air date for the pilot, so we still have a while before the next episode. I will reserve further judgment on the show's merits for after the 2nd and 3rd episodes. Then maybe I will decide if it is worth still watching.
That was about my thoughts on it. While it didn't knock me out of my seat in awe, it hooked me enough to keep me interested and to make sure I checked out the next episode, which, I think is all the pilot is supposed to do? The pilot, from what I understand, is basically done out of pocket, so they have to do what they can with what they got (very little) and to hopefully get funding to actually make the next few episodes, where they really try to hook people. That's my expectation anyhow.

But yes, I was mainly just trying to make the point that people should "call the fuck down!" haha. Haters gonna hate, or something.

About the Amish... I think it's a matter of not enough drama. If there's no conflict, there's no reason to tell the story. No one gives a fuck about the people who made it just fine and had no problems acclimating to change, and lived normally ever after. :lol: So the stories never get made.

But it would be cool to see people come upon an Amish settlement in their travels and get a hot meal and rest in a comfy bed and maybe learn a thing before going off onto the next waypoint/chapter/plot-point.

Then again, maybe the conquistadors of whatever region such an Amish settlement was at would slaughter the Amish as being too threatening to their reign. In most of these PAW stories, the real power of the Oppressors is superiority of arms, and control of scarce resources, or both. Those that are able to grow their own and take care of themselves are kept weak by having their foodstores taxed to the point where they can't grow fat and healthy, but stay weak and overworked. Think of the movie "Ants" and "A Bug's Life" and "The Postman" - it's the common theme. To have an educated, self sufficient populace... well that's harder to control. In the mind of the oppressor; what you can't control, you kill.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:24 pm

JTNieman wrote:
Then again, maybe the conquistadors of whatever region such an Amish settlement was at would slaughter the Amish as being too threatening to their reign.
Pretty much this. Amish are pacifists, and killing other humans, even in self defense, violates one of the basic tenants of their style of Christianity. Not passing judgment or anything, this is just for informational purposes.

OT:

I tried, but I just can't get into this show. Maybe after it has a season or two under it's belt, I might be able to get into it. Hell, I fell asleep watching the pilot to ST:TNG. It took 2 seasons and a wiki browse before I could get excited about Jericho.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Well, obvious holes, not surprising really. That being said, I found it mildly entertaining and am willing to follow along for awhile. I gave Falling Skies plenty of time to come together before I couldn't take it anymore.

They have set the hook with the little gizmo that evidently is a power source, and there are at least 3 out there. Gotta see what that's all about.

The bar fight was a little over the top, Uncle Super Ninja takes out 10 guys all by himself? What is this, Diablo III?
WWSD?

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Fletch wrote:
And jericho isn't one of the most poorly written ridiculous PAW scenario's ever?

Yep... I mean, don't get me wrong, any reason can be used, the point would be to get the folks into a PAW scenario, sometimes even the most rediculous plot turns can still be gripping drama, because it's the drama that keeps you watching...

I mean, say that, I dunno, people were trying to survive in a world under alien invasion or with legions of the walking dead wandering around... It is far less likely than EMPs, computer viruses (Virusi? Virui?) and whatnot...

But you kinda want to see more...

And Jericho made me want to see more... Far more than Falling Skies has managed to do... Not as much as Walking Dead has... And If I gotta compare Revolution to anything, I'd compare it to Survivors (bbc show, new one, not the original).
The characters are stock characters, and the show apparently spent all their money on visuals instead of either pacing or any attempt at developing the story...

The imagery is meant to hammer home the PAW appearance and give me the impression of a kid with really awesome photoshop skills... However, it's all a bit blatant... And somehow totally false.

I'm just not believing in the world... Not the reason behind it... I could care less, that reasoning is like the "necklace" jump drive, it's a means to an end, a McGuffin, and as such can be properly ignored.

But it's a little too.... disney, I guess...

The wife likes it, so I'll continue watching it, and honestly, it's a half decent time waster...

But I wasn't impressed, hopefully the action will get better, but right now, I'm looking at it and having deja vu to every cheap episodic fantasy/sci fi trope that is out there, from the Planet of the Apes television show, thru Earth 2 and beyond...

In the end, I'm most disappointed because every single character gives me that stereotype stock character vibe...

Mebbe it will change, I would hope so...

But I doubt it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm

I want my hour back.

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm

raptor wrote:I want my hour back.
This.

A whole lot of boring and predictable ending with an even more predictable EPIC BOSS FIGHT!!!
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 pm

SeerSavant wrote:
Fletch wrote:

Yep... I mean, don't get me wrong, any reason can be used, the point would be to get the folks into a PAW scenario, sometimes even the most rediculous plot turns can still be gripping drama, because it's the drama that keeps you watching...

I mean, say that, I dunno, people were trying to survive in a world under alien invasion or with legions of the walking dead wandering around... It is far less likely than EMPs, computer viruses (Virusi? Virui?) and whatnot...

But you kinda want to see more...

And Jericho made me want to see more... Far more than Falling Skies has managed to do... Not as much as Walking Dead has... And If I gotta compare Revolution to anything, I'd compare it to Survivors (bbc show, new one, not the original).
The characters are stock characters, and the show apparently spent all their money on visuals instead of either pacing or any attempt at developing the story...

The imagery is meant to hammer home the PAW appearance and give me the impression of a kid with really awesome photoshop skills... However, it's all a bit blatant... And somehow totally false.

I'm just not believing in the world... Not the reason behind it... I could care less, that reasoning is like the "necklace" jump drive, it's a means to an end, a McGuffin, and as such can be properly ignored.

But it's a little too.... disney, I guess...

The wife likes it, so I'll continue watching it, and honestly, it's a half decent time waster...

But I wasn't impressed, hopefully the action will get better, but right now, I'm looking at it and having deja vu to every cheap episodic fantasy/sci fi trope that is out there, from the Planet of the Apes television show, thru Earth 2 and beyond...

In the end, I'm most disappointed because every single character gives me that stereotype stock character vibe...

Mebbe it will change, I would hope so...

But I doubt it.
I think that was a pretty fair analysis, and I would agree that there seemed to be a lack of really drawing me into the world. I never felt much belief in the characters. The dialog, the acting, the set, everything just didn't' really feel that real. This made suspension of disbelief difficult.

Speaking of the BBC Survivors show, it sucked they canceled it just when it actually started to get half decent.

And yes, if we can suspend disbelief for zombies or aliens, then we should be able to for some world electricity damping field. However so far they have fell flat on that suspension of disbelief for me. Flat is the description that keeps coming to mind when I wish to describe the show. It seems to have many of the right elements to be a good show, but it all falls flat and just doesn't quite work.

However I still am willing to give it a chance, I recognize this is just the pilot, and it is possible it could get better. The pilot hasn't really set the hook for me, but I am giving them a few more episodes to see how it goes.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm

I liked it! :clap: It wasn't perfect by any means though. Everyone was too clean cut and manicured. Charlie is smokin hot too.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”