Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombiepreparation
* * * * *
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:30 pm

AnonEmous wrote: What I find amazing is that these family protectors appear so consumed with surviving that I question to what extent they have resources socked away for their kids' higher education, what emphasis they place on having well-adjusted kids, and what they have prepared for their own retirement. Counting on the world to end as you know it sounds like a pretty poor retirement model.
Living and enjoying a full life that's there right now. Prepare for anything but live the time that is there today.

Theholybull
*
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by Theholybull » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:03 pm

From what I have seen (2 episodes) these shelters are an extravagance for the paranoid and ignorant. As has been stated earlier a reinforced concrete bunker would me much less expensive and safer. 10 ga steel buried a foot under ground, I'm in in 10 minutes and the people inside are dead in 5 if I feel so inclined. As far as I'm concerned it's basically canned canned food, all you need is the right can opener. Burying shippng containers would offer the same protection. I will however concede that the flame thrower railing was cool. I actually do enjoy the show for the same reason I enjoy dr. Phil, I release pent up frustrations by yelling at the people on the tv. I will also say that this piece of shit makes Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy look like The Godfather. A tactical bunker, what the fuck........

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:12 pm

AnonEmous wrote:It seemed, and I may be wrong, that the person who dropped $450,000 on a bunker ran some type of survival school. My question is whether the 450,000 included the landscaping (it was mentioned they leveled 1200 tons of earth to make it possible) and the crane rental to park the 1100 square feet of family tranquilty.
KnightoftheRoc wrote: Some husbands, taking the role of "family protector" to heart, will make decisions like this on their own. Every relationship is different, but if asked, I wouldn't recommend that as a course of action.
Now I do not know whether he financed it, had the cash, or got a business loan, but it seems that the overarching goal was to "protect his family at all costs", which is something I repeatedly have heard on these types of shows. This same "drive" is probably what makes sure he pulls in students, which in turn funds his prepping plans. I question how many of these survival school types have had their cholesterol and sugar level checked, have an emergency fund of cash, and can run half a mile.

What I find amazing is that these family protectors appear so consumed with surviving that I question to what extent they have resources socked away for their kids' higher education, what emphasis they place on having well-adjusted kids, and what they have prepared for their own retirement. Counting on the world to end as you know it sounds like a pretty poor retirement model.

Conversely, maybe these guys have millions in cash and are putting a fraction of their resources into survival planning, the equivalent of spending a tax refund on a vacation. It is all relative.
This "drive" is admirable, but IMO, one needs to keep it balanced with a healthy does of reality. Sure the world MIGHT end tomorrow, and then I'm the guy OUTSIDE a bunker, instead of inside. But, on the other hand, once you pull that vault door shut, and spin the wheel, who wants to be locked in a confined space for an indefinite period with an irate spouse?

I've had to drive for over two hours with my wife pissed off at me, and let me tell you, that trip couldn't end soon enough to suit me! (I started eyeing up bridge abutments before we were halfway home...) I can't even imagine what it would be like for weeks at a time, with no escape option.

Fortunately, my fiancee sees the sense in prepping as we do, and is on-board with most of my decisions. Those she doesn't agree with wholeheartedly are the ones she doesn't understand (some of it's technical, and that's not her strong suit), but she trusts me to do whats best for the family, so she doesn't argue those with me.

I have SO traded up since the ex... :D
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

User avatar
Crusader
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Omega Man
Location: IN PURGATORY

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by Crusader » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Theholybull wrote:From what I have seen (2 episodes) these shelters are an extravagance for the paranoid and ignorant. As has been stated earlier a reinforced concrete bunker would me much less expensive and safer. 10 ga steel buried a foot under ground, I'm in in 10 minutes and the people inside are dead in 5 if I feel so inclined. As far as I'm concerned it's basically canned canned food, all you need is the right can opener. Burying shippng containers would offer the same protection. I will however concede that the flame thrower railing was cool. I actually do enjoy the show for the same reason I enjoy dr. Phil, I release pent up frustrations by yelling at the people on the tv. I will also say that this piece of shit makes Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy look like The Godfather. A tactical bunker, what the fuck........
The flame thrower concept was interesting, but what's up with the spiked hammer? If I had kids I'd be a little concerned about a tragic accident, let only scalping myself.
.There's no booze, there's no broads, there's no action

User avatar
catalyst
* *
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:53 am
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by catalyst » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:28 pm

yale wrote:
AnonEmous wrote:
I did not see the entire show and did not notice what kind of company he runs, but allowing people to "walk through" the bunker as part of his services probably allows him to take it as a business expense. The other consideration, however, is that it could be viewed as a second home (if the property is not part of his business) and then would be subject to different, less favorable tax rules, depending on how he financed it.

This reminds me of a story years ago that people in Japan with nuclear fall out shelters kept them secret because of the need for security but also because people did not want them taxed as second homes.
Good points here. I was wondering how much money there was in the "survival instructor" market. When I see a guy shelling out nearly half a million bucks to drop a steel shelter into the ground I was thinking, "Damn, I bet he's glad he didn't waste time going to medical school."
Maybe it's class envy on my part but when I see him and his wife bickering in that nice kitchen and I look around my 16x80 Fleetwood trailer with it's laminated counter tops and then I find out he's dropping that kind of cash on a underground shelter while I can't afford repairs on my 1997 Lumina I just say, "No way. This is just insane. You have all that and you are upsetting your wife by buying this shelter against her wishes? I don't know how it works in your house but in mine we both decide on a major purchase and agree on it and how it will affect our budget BEFORE doing something like this."
Since the primary use of his shelter is to train students - the company paid for it entirely. It'd be like buying a new building or a company car. I think it was a smart move. I mean worst case - he has the bunker he can use if he needs to. Sure, he made it known to the public, but people are quick to forget, and i'd rather have the fortified bunker just in case, than not have it - even if it might get attacked.

Theholybull
*
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by Theholybull » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:33 pm

catalyst wrote:
yale wrote:
AnonEmous wrote:
I did not see the entire show and did not notice what kind of company he runs, but allowing people to "walk through" the bunker as part of his services probably allows him to take it as a business expense. The other consideration, however, is that it could be viewed as a second home (if the property is not part of his business) and then would be subject to different, less favorable tax rules, depending on how he financed it.

This reminds me of a story years ago that people in Japan with nuclear fall out shelters kept them secret because of the need for security but also because people did not want them taxed as second homes.
Good points here. I was wondering how much money there was in the "survival instructor" market. When I see a guy shelling out nearly half a million bucks to drop a steel shelter into the ground I was thinking, "Damn, I bet he's glad he didn't waste time going to medical school."
Maybe it's class envy on my part but when I see him and his wife bickering in that nice kitchen and I look around my 16x80 Fleetwood trailer with it's laminated counter tops and then I find out he's dropping that kind of cash on a underground shelter while I can't afford repairs on my 1997 Lumina I just say, "No way. This is just insane. You have all that and you are upsetting your wife by buying this shelter against her wishes? I don't know how it works in your house but in mine we both decide on a major purchase and agree on it and how it will affect our budget BEFORE doing something like this."
Since the primary use of his shelter is to train students - the company paid for it entirely. It'd be like buying a new building or a company car. I think it was a smart move. I mean worst case - he has the bunker he can use if he needs to. Sure, he made it known to the public, but people are quick to forget, and i'd rather have the fortified bunker just in case, than not have it - even if it might get attacked.

It's not a fortified bunker, it's a metal box a foot under the ground. Big difference.

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by ineffableone » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 pm

I finally saw the second episode and I was disappointed they kept on with the same bunker builder. It would have been nice to see a different builder. They kept the whole drama in the factory action with some BS about pulling the son of the owner from job to job. So annoying.

The worst however is how they built boobie traps into the new bunker. A flame thrower hand rail, well ok sort of cool, but the falling spikes, were just stupid. You can see the spikes on the ceiling, and they only had their own weight to drive them into someone. Sure they would hurt maybe be lethal, but a lot of ability to avoid them too. Of course there is liability issues with such dangerous boobie traps, and the spikes look more dangerous for the owners than potential raiders. Really they are there just over your head as you walk in. Looks like easy chance to hit your head on these.

Over all I am quite disappointed in this show, it could have been so much better but Discovery treated it like their other shows and just made a bunker version of American Chopper or Sons of Guns. With all the cool shelter/bunker tech out there they are focusing on the lame drama in side the shop rather than explore bunkers and designs. I have seen more interesting bunkers on Nat Geo's Doomsday Preppers than on this show about bunkers.

So Discovery's Doomsday Bunkers is just another Discovery channel fail in my opinion.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Shinhao
*
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by Shinhao » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:59 pm

The problem with bunkers is that they are so easy to defeat...find the air vents, then plug them with dirt.

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Theholybull wrote:It's not a fortified bunker, it's a metal box a foot under the ground. Big difference.
Only a FOOT??? I haven't watched the series yet- maybe they went that shallow and cheap because it's just for training? Even if it was covered in concrete, I'd want more than a foot of dirt over it, just so the lawn looked normal- the bunker-shaped brown spot in the lawn come fall MIGHT be a clue, you know?
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

User avatar
ZomBosox
*
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the dead, and Shaun of the dead. Life without humor is like living life as a Zombie!
Location: North Eastern U.S.

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by ZomBosox » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:58 am

The problem with bunkers is that they are so easy to defeat...find the air vents, then plug them with dirt.
my sentiment exactly. it makes no sense. your sitting in a 450,000$ death trap
Image
'Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not.'
-Robert F. Kennedy

User avatar
lokifz1
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Must have Alice in it.
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by lokifz1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:38 am

As stated above just plug up the air vents and wait for them to come out.

The "bunkers" shown lack anyway to defend them. The made for Tv devices included.

An above ground structure really seems to be needed.
Beretta accept no substitute.

User avatar
mr_slappy75
* * *
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:01 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Location: by O'Hare somewhere

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 pm

yale wrote:
AnonEmous wrote:
I did not see the entire show and did not notice what kind of company he runs, but allowing people to "walk through" the bunker as part of his services probably allows him to take it as a business expense. The other consideration, however, is that it could be viewed as a second home (if the property is not part of his business) and then would be subject to different, less favorable tax rules, depending on how he financed it.

This reminds me of a story years ago that people in Japan with nuclear fall out shelters kept them secret because of the need for security but also because people did not want them taxed as second homes.
Good points here. I was wondering how much money there was in the "survival instructor" market. When I see a guy shelling out nearly half a million bucks to drop a steel shelter into the ground I was thinking, "Damn, I bet he's glad he didn't waste time going to medical school."
Maybe it's class envy on my part but when I see him and his wife bickering in that nice kitchen and I look around my 16x80 Fleetwood trailer with it's laminated counter tops and then I find out he's dropping that kind of cash on a underground shelter while I can't afford repairs on my 1997 Lumina I just say, "No way. This is just insane. You have all that and you are upsetting your wife by buying this shelter against her wishes? I don't know how it works in your house but in mine we both decide on a major purchase and agree on it and how it will affect our budget BEFORE doing something like this."

Even provided that the producers of the show, as it is a given with any type of reality programming are likely to edit the footage whichever way they please to create both tension, conflict, drama, etc. which would equal ratings and there is a chance however slight that this guy may not be such a total tool.

Yale, I am sooo gonna print this and show it to the Mrs. She and I watched that segment and I said to her "If I ever behave like such a jack@@$ please hit me on the head with the handiest skillet"
She calmly replied "Nah, wouldn't happen. The fact that you think that is a crap way to behave tells me your mom raised you right; please feel free to swagger" :P

That bit of gloating on my part there is also to show that respect in that partnership is pivotal, I mean your spouse should be not only that but also your sounding board and when need be your reality check. We too go over major financial commitments together, and agree a 100% or if there need be set up a conditional compromise (example: if X does not work out by Y date, we don’t proceed further and go to plan B), but the point is: We do it together, not unilaterally.

So great for him, this guy has a wiz-bang (or would that be anti-wiz-bang?) shelter for him and the family, so now what? Does he wait around for the world to go to Hell in a hand basket so that he can say "See? I told you so! and you thought I didn't know what I was doing?"
And you just know he'd be the kind of d1ck who would do that too. On the meantime this purchase is going to be a sore spot in their relationship and mind you I wish them well, but what happens if another more immediate and rather pedestrian but equally serious financial crisis hits and so many of their resources are tied up on the bunker? What then?

My money is on it being far more likely that grandma or grandpa may need monetary help or that one of their vehicles needs replacing or that he may lose some income due to matters beyond his control –he would not be the only one nor a particularly rare case in this day and age and with the economy being what it is right now- than anything else which would require for them to pack it all up and enter the vault.

One thing that I grasped after my teens but never heard expressed as eloquently as when I first joined ZS is that we prep for as much as we can but for the likely first and foremost, everything else is either gravy or hobby
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

AnonEmous
* *
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 am
Location: right behind you

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by AnonEmous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote: My money is on it being far more likely that grandma or grandpa may need monetary help or that one of their vehicles needs replacing or that he may lose some income due to matters beyond his control –he would not be the only one nor a particularly rare case in this day and age and with the economy being what it is right now- than anything else which would require for them to pack it all up and enter the vault.

One thing that I grasped after my teens but never heard expressed as eloquently as when I first joined ZS is that we prep for as much as we can but for the likely first and foremost, everything else is either gravy or hobby
This^. My take on preparing for emergencies is that most people are far more likely to face personal ruin through crippling debt, poor health, or imbalanced planning instead of through a horde of scavengers; however, that does not mean that adequate planning, training, or personal security are not relevant. Maintaining fitness helps keep a host of health problems at bay AND is useful in an acute or extended emergency, but because it is less fun and harder to do than buying cool gear or dropping lots of cash on shelters, some people ignore it. For expanded insights on this, check a graphic here I created.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

User avatar
USMCSergeant
* * * *
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:01 am
Location: NC

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by USMCSergeant » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Several things about this show and builder that concern me:

One episode a bunker that was previously installed had flooded due to a hurricane. Now they market these things as survivial/storm bunkers and I'm sure those people placed a ton of preps inside that flooded bunker. So there goes months worth of food,water, maybe firearms and ammunition. I understand hurricanes are destructive by nature, but if you create and sell a bunker, it should damn well be flood resistant, especially since people will be going there during severe weather.

The triangular above ground bunker is a horrible idea. I can't see one reason anyone would buy that.

The air vent issue as stated above.

Concrete would be more stable and cheaper, or at least compariblein price.
Image

BigDaddyTX
* * * * *
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: Greater Clear Lake Area, Texas

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:12 pm

IDK which episode I was watching, but the guy had a PMR 30 and was having his young son shoot it. It didn't even look like the kid was hitting paper; the grips on that thing are huge. Also when his wife was shooting it looked like she was flinching to me. All bad things. He seemed to think 30 rounds in a pistol was just the best thing ever as opposed to considering caliber and utility to the rest of the family. Why in the world you wouldn't start the kiddo on a .22 that fits his hands is beyond me, the same with the wife. He needed to spend a little money on firearms training for him and the family together since he clearly didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing.

/could be editing, but I don't think so.
Image
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:33 am

As I mentioned, I haven't caught this yet, and am going on second hand info. But, do any of these bukers provide alternate exits? Any burrowing animal makes it's home with TWO holes, so that he can escape out the one, while the other is blocked by possibly a burrowing predator coming in. Flame throwers and ceiling spikes MAY be all well and good, but everything like that eventually runs out of effectiveness- spikes can only drop once, flamethrowers run out of fuel, etc. What do the occupants do then?
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by ineffableone » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:As I mentioned, I haven't caught this yet, and am going on second hand info. But, do any of these bukers provide alternate exits? Any burrowing animal makes it's home with TWO holes, so that he can escape out the one, while the other is blocked by possibly a burrowing predator coming in. Flame throwers and ceiling spikes MAY be all well and good, but everything like that eventually runs out of effectiveness- spikes can only drop once, flamethrowers run out of fuel, etc. What do the occupants do then?
I think the first episode they showed the father (owner of the company) showing his son around testing his knowledge of the bunkers and mentions the secondary escape hatch.

From my own knowledge researching bunkers many have secondary escape hatches with explosive bolts. These are basic hatches in the ceiling that are only designed to be used if the primary door is blocked. I do agree though, secondary exits are needed.

If you want to get an idea of the show, check out the bunker company's website http://www.deepearthbunker.com/, they have some video clips there, including one clip edited out of the show about Tanya having issue with the chemical smell of the tar used on the bunkers, and a long explanation of their healthy diet etc.

I have to say though, this is not the best bunker designer company out there though. I had seen their stuff before the show, and while they had a decent storm shelter design, their bunkers seemed lacking and still do.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
Aikidoka
* * *
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Where Dreams Go To Die

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by Aikidoka » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:23 pm

My wife made a great point last night watching the show. The woman that lives near Indian Point spent $150K on the shelter alone, and whatever for the land and permits. Why couldnt she just take that money and move away from Indian Point. Also I was screaming at the defensive driving class part. She was in a BMW on the way to the class but had to used a older car with no air bags or plastic on the front end to crash through the barricade. Whats gonna happen when she try s that in her beemer.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

Image

User avatar
whataburger
*
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1. 28 days later
2. Zombieland
3. The Zombie Diaries
Location: Houston, Texas
Contact:

Re: Doomsday Bunkers 3part series

Post by whataburger » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:47 pm

My dad always said "locks only keep honest people honest" bearing that in mind... if somebody wants you or your family if they have enough will they eventually will get it.... dont bury your head in the sand... meet your enemy eye to eye.... bunkers are for tornadoes....

my two cents...


....but nonetheless my wife wants a bunker.... meh.... :oops:
Image
zombie shirts here!: http://www.whatadesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Training Films”