Biggest Mistakes in Zombie Movies

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phydaux

Re: Biggest Mistakes in Zombie Movies

Post by phydaux » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Jim_in_Calgary wrote:I am Legend - not a mistake, but an irritating trend to build climax in these movies. Will Smith has been developing the antidote (or whatever) for years. He finally gets it right and it is at that moment that he is overrun...just at that moment.

Hard to believe really.
Another one from that movie - Every day Will Smith goes down to the waterfront and broadcasts/listens on an AM radio. WTF? All that time in the Army and he's never heard of short wave?

Cold and dead
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any of the resident evil movies.

Post by Cold and dead » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:08 pm

phydaux wrote:
Jim_in_Calgary wrote:I am Legend - not a mistake, but an irritating trend to build climax in these movies. Will Smith has been developing the antidote (or whatever) for years. He finally gets it right and it is at that moment that he is overrun...just at that moment.

Hard to believe really.
Another one from that movie - Every day Will Smith goes down to the waterfront and broadcasts/listens on an AM radio. WTF? All that time in the Army and he's never heard of short wave?

did you see the batman superman cross over thingie in time square or where ever it was?

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 pm

phydaux wrote:

Hard to believe really.
Exactly..NO ONE DAMN HAM RADIO at all in the entire city??!?!
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Post by BEar667 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 pm

AwPhuch wrote:
phydaux wrote:

Hard to believe really.
Exactly..NO ONE DAMN HAM RADIO at all in the entire city??!?!
AM reaches further out than FM because FM is Line of Sight (LOS). So I would indeed use AM to reach out, and I am a Ham Op.
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

taz-hein
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later

Post by taz-hein » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Dawn of the Dead 2004;

they had thousands of zombies outside.

lets assume the gunshop owner had plenty of ammo.

10 hours in a day,
60 mins in an hour
15 shots every min. (one shot every 4 seconds)

that's 9,000 dead zombies in one day.

you might want to take it slower and only kill one per minute

10 hour day
60 dead zombies per hour.
over 10 days
6000 really dead zombies.

come on, get off your ass, you could clear out the suburb in a few weeks. plus you'd be making progress and wouldn't feel like you were waiting for ever.

just like prairie dogs

the advantage that they had, that all zombie movie survivors have, is that they are smarter than the zombies. they could set up a trap for the zeds and dumb zeds don't notice the piles of corpses they just walk right in to the trap.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:40 pm

taz-hein wrote:Dawn of the Dead 2004;

they had that's 9,000 dead zombies in one day.

Bet that would make for a sore shoulder! :lol:

From my experience, in movies, anytime you get physical with the opposite sex, your doomed

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:15 pm

it feel like people can never organised the cleaning up of zed, trap and they feel like zed have the the longest part of the stick. they forgot that they are the smart one, they suppose to be predator, not prey. hunt down the dammit zed.

they should get inspiration from fallout movie, we are smart, we have material (even wrecked ) we can make civilization back to a pseudo-normal level. where we could live, not only survive.

(i just think about the fact that fallout would be a great world to make a movie)
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Omega DR
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake), Night of the Living Dead(1990), The Zombie Dairies, 28 Days Later

Post by Omega DR » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:52 pm

1. The Military is always totally wiped out. Fat chance, they would bunker up and outlast us all.
2. The "I outta Save My Girlfriend" Mentality. Really???
3. Automatic gunfire and firing from the hip. Why??? Single, well aimed shot is all you need.
4. Except for the Dawn of the Dead remake, no one ever uses dogs or walking talkies. Hello....
5. Put a machete in the hand on a 5'6" boxom blonde and suddenly she can lobe off heads in a single swing. yeah right.
6. No one suffers from PTSD or PZCD (Post Zombie Combat Disorder).

mobilesuithomer

Post by mobilesuithomer » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Not a zombie film, but the '09 big bug film Infestation had some things I feel like complaining about:

1. Not letting people know that the anchorwoman was clearly unhinged. This gets established fairly early on, but for some reason the person who notices doesn't say anything to anyone. This wasn't an off-hand remark or anything, either. She acts mentally unstable multiple times.

2. The characters walk around unarmed during about 90% of the movie. It's established that firearms are a bad idea (the bugs are blind but very attracted to noise), but it really never occurred to anyone to make some spears or pick up a crossbow? Or even a pellet gun? You could at least use the last one to make a distraction by shooting out windows or setting off car alarms.

3. Now that I think about it, they spend most of the movie dressed in the clothes they woke up in (which they hadn't changed in several days, at least) and never seem to pick up any supplies. They definitely didn't have any backpacks to carry stuff in. Oh, and have I mentioned that the main character was wearing a suit and dress shoes? And that they WALKED everywhere?

That being said, it was actually pretty decent overall, and worth watching through Netflix or a DVR. There was fairly solid characterization, and it was actually plot-driven, in that the characters had a goal and worked towards it. There were even some genuinely funny moments, although I don't know if the part with the getaway truck was meant to be funny. It was very manic, at least.

Oh, and it had Ray Wise in it (aka Leland Palmer aka the President in Red Alert 2).

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:04 pm

well, i just did a review of a movie called "zombie apocalypse" and i wrote the pro/con i seenhttp://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=87514

and multiple mistake i seen in that movie also apply to many other zombie movie
Last edited by azrael99 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Dawn of the Dead , 2004

Hard to believe not one of them never saw Apocolypse Now ...I assume maybe CJ & crew but they were sushi by then .

" Fuck it. I'm gonna get me some mangoes. "
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

DJL

Post by DJL » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Thing that gets me is that they always seem to drive around with their car windows down ,perfect example "walking dead" season 1 ep4 , Latino gang in the lowrider , season 2 ep6 ,Shane and Andrea ,park the SUV with windows open ,then they get busy in the middle of the road with windows down !

if there's one thing I have learned living on the Falls road in Belfast ,its " Buttons down security at all times " same goes for the windows ,and keep back one car length from the car in front at traffic lights :lol:

and a thing like this happened this week over here , BBC radio sent a reporter to Germany to investigate a town that is 100% neo-nazi and there have been 6+ immigrants murdered ... guess who they sent ? a female reporter who is Pakistani ,she was lucky to get out of the place
Ponyboy314 wrote: All the News that's Fit to Print
Movie: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
The Plan: While looking for some Umbrella egghead's kid, send a news anchor alone into the dark with a gun she doesn't know how to use.
Even in a zombie apocalypse, there are times when splitting up makes sense. This was not one of those times. And this was sure as fuck not the way to do it. They didn't have a clue how many dead would be inside, the lights were off, and when they split up, they sent poor Terri Morales, a news anchor, off alone, handing her a gun and telling her that shooting is easy. Well, it isn't. And shooting to save your life is a lousy way to learn. Alone, afraid, with a weapon she knows nothing about, in the dark, in a building potentially full of walking stiffs (which turned out to be zombie kids and dogs...how fucking creepy)...you don't have to be a member of Raccoon City's S.T.A.R.R.S. unit to know that you're basically sending the poor woman off to die in a rather unpleasant fashion. Maybe they just didn't like the news. She must have broken some police scandal or something.

akhilleus514
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead (B&W), Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini), Dance of the Dead

Post by akhilleus514 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 am

Some excellent points made, am enjoying this thread. I HATE when women who are wearing high heels continue to wear high heels, and similar lapses in judgment; the ditching of weapons until a better weapon is found, the total lack of follow-through in movies like slasher films or zombie flicks. If an assailant, any assailant is down for a moment, and the character that put that mother jumper down is standing over the baddie with the golf club/ piece of rebar/ cricket bat, why does the person under threat think their job is over? Keep whacking, moron!! Get active, burn some calories, you knob! Throw a tarp over the thing if you have to so as to prevent splatter, but give it ten more whacks, and then look around for other threats. I will have loyalty to a character that does stuff right and gets imperiled anyway due to capricious circumstance, but I will not pull for a character who stumbles their way through a dangerous world and makes endless judgement call failures.
I'd actually like to see a movie that chronicles a major outbreak, but presents the mop-up in such a way as to show the human advantage of a functioning frontal lobe. Guys doing clean-up and treating it like any other dangerous job, with people occasionally dying due to lack of attention to detail, like people working on the high steel at skyscraper construction sites. You know, like the World War Z movie was supposed to be before Hollywood got its grubby paws on it.

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 am

logical fact movie forgot about :

-No one are really hero, in a disaster situation, people would do whatever is needed to survive
-no so much weapon are single use, for as long as it's in one piece, use it until you find better
-there is weapon everywhere, a scrap metal bar, a piece of wood, a rock inside a sock, anything can be used as a weapon, so there is no reason to NOT have a weapon
-there is alternative fuel, vehicle can use other thing
-animal can still be used as transport
-there is not military gear laying around everywhere usually during outbreak (not that there were many) soldier would get the equipment laying around.........because they need it.
-Canada is not a wasteland,and there is other season that winter (but winter is actually really the main season)
-not everyone know how to use fully automatic weapons,and they are hard to use effectively without training and they are the worse gun you can use, they waste ammo
-1/3 at least of USA citizen are hunter or sport shooter and have at least half a dozen of gun and thousand of rounds, do you think zombie actually have a chance to overrun the USA ?

that it for now

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 am

Not exactly a zombie movie, but I'm going to mention The Grey as another example of movie survivors finding, then discarding, fairly effective weapons. There's a scene halfway through the movie where Liam Neeson and the remaining band of dysfunctional jackasses who survived the plane crash sit around a fire and try to make weapons. Neeson get's creative and makes a kind of crude "shark stick" by attaching 12 gauge shotgun shells (the gun itself was destroyed in the crash) to the end of 6 or 8 foot sticks, rigged in such a way that the primers would be crushed and hopefully detonated if the shell were jammed forcefully into the side or chest of an attacking animal. As a backup, he sharpens several sticks and hardens the points in the fire.

Everybody else just bitches and criticizes and poo-poos the usefulness of his improvised weapons, and wrt the "bang sticks" they had a point - even though none of them had a better idea.

But I thought to myself "Wait, what's so dumb about a fire hardened pointed stick? Sure it's old school, but plenty of animals and enemies got taken down by the good ol' pointy stick, that design has been working, probably, since people first decided to walk upright. Whole species of animal, like the wooly mammoth, got wiped out by determined use of the humble pointed stick.

So that night the little group of survivors gets ravaged by hungry wolves, and fight them off quite successfully with the shotgun shell gimmicks and pointy sticks. They even kill one of the wolves and cook it on a spit and eat it. Scoring that roasted wolf meal was about the only good thing that happened to any of them for the whole movie!

But then comes the next scene, which shows them setting off away from their makeshift camp the next morning, clutching their pitiful bits of salvaged gear. But can you guess what they weren't carrying? Right. Not one of those dumb suckers thought to take a pointy stick with him when he left camp that morning, even though it was the only tool that kept them alive - and fed - through the night.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 am

NUMBER ONE THING THAT ANNOYS ME AND BOGGLES MY BRAIN!!!! :twisted:

WALKING DEAD

They are all using bolt-action rifles and pump-action shotguns. There are thousands of dead troops all over the place with M-4s, M-16s, M249s, M240s, M-2s, and very heavy weaponry. There is a shit ton of ammo just laying around.

They went back to Atlanta to get the guns?
Other than the fact I mentioned above THEY ARE IN FUCKING GEORGIA! They can walk into houses anywhere and there is a fifty-fifty chance of finding firearms. Even a better chance in the rural areas.

Shitty vehicles.
How many times will Dale replace that fucking hose till he decides to just drive off in a new diesel bus after welding a plow to the front and armoring it.
They were driving shitty old vehicles that were all at least 15 years old if not more. There are new, nicer, more reliable, vehicles with better gas mileage just laying around.
Also, there are fucking military vehicles available pre-armed and a hell of a lot better at off-road use. Why the fuck was Daryl riding the chopper? You know how loud those are.

Hardware stores and drugstores = free necessary stuff that is ripe for the taking.

Don't like Hershel? Cant move in with them?
Move next door.

Why are you still wearing that stupid fuckin deputy cowboy hat?

Also a handy talky does not have enough range to reach a guy perhaps hundreds of miles away who also has a handy talky.

Daryl stop at any sporting goods store and get a better crossbow, hundreds of bolts, and a good sidearm to carry. Other than that he is a badass. (I have not seen the last 3 episodes due to bars closing in STL. So that might have changed, but as of now he is my favorite.)

Get fucking suppressors.

The Gerber product placement was nice.

Jerry cans?

How hard is it to ask to use a horse?

Why do you need a horse when you are looking for old tracks of a small girl?

You should tell people not to go in the big fucking barn next to the house. You know the thing that looks like there are good useful things inside. Also it is wise to just let people know what is inside it. At this point in the world honesty can be a good policy when it comes to a dozen or so undead in a barn.

Deer do not let kids go up to them within 50 yards unless they are in a park.

Look through your scope to see the three people standing directly behind said deer.

Computer dying must go. I will think of more later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 am

Computer plugged in.

Merl, you had plenty of time. Max Rockatansky did not chain you to a petrol dripping vehicle and rig a Bic to stay lit to force you to die or cut your appendage off. You could have used hours to cut the cuffs off.

If you are in a coma with no drip in a closed, unairconditioned room, in the summer, with rotting corpses in the hall, for a month, you would most certainly be dead or at least have more than a thick stubble of a beard.

Ditch the python for a Glock 17, 9mm XDM or FN 5.7. Keep the python for hunting.

When your comrades tell you not to fire at a single "walker" and they start running toward it with heavy duty melee weapons and you choose to shoot, you are going to be shooting unnecessarily in their direction. Dont shoot!

A pizza guy can not hotwire a new Charger without uber tech experience.
Also if the alarm goes off the vehicle will not work.

Fishing line with empty beer cans makes a great perimeter alarm.

If you do go to Atlanta, stop by Museum Replicas if you can and get some real melee weapons.

Pick up thermal and starlight night vision as well as grenades, claymores, and mines from the many abandoned military nests and depots. If you do not destroy the undead you can make a bunch crawlers with grenades and mines.

Get real radios and scan for transmissions and try to make contact.

No need to tell two desperate guys to go to Nebraska. They can move down the street and be a lookout for you. They know they will gain nothing by hurting you.

You need more than some gas and a little wood to cremate a dozen bodies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:45 am

AeroRat wrote:At the risk of bringing down the angry fan-hordes, I'd say one of the biggest mistakes out there is letting George Romero continue making zombie movies.
Wish I could argue with you...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 am

The thing that annoys me with 90% of Zombie movies is that the main characters seem to live in a bubble and have never seen a Zombie movie before.

If I see some random dude eating some other guys intestines, my first thought would be "shit, zombie apocalypse" and retreat/arm myself.

If I see some guy covered in blood with white eyes and legions shuffling toward me, my first thought would be "shit, zombie apocalypse" and retreat/arm myself.

I would not approach a dude eating another guy and be like "hey buddy, you OK?"

Etc, etc..

Also, the characters also take way too long to figure out that you need to destroy the brain to kill a zombie. Again, its like they have managed to live their entire movie lives without seeing one single Zombie movie.

Once I determined that the dead were walking the earth, the first words out of my mouth we be "shit, zombie apocalypse, aim for in the head!"

Etc, etc..

bigmattdaddywack

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 am

They did know what Zombies were in Shaun of The Dead. That is about it. They still had to be told by the news to remove the head or destroy the brain.

bigmattdaddywack

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 am

The Walking Dead characters should all leave money and/or trade goods at all the houses, stores, and military sites they gather weapons and/or supplies so as not to be "stealing" or "scavenging". They should leave money for whoever might be around later who could claim prior ownership of the material.
It is the moral and legally correct thing to do and does not violate forum rules.

Cherokee John

Post by Cherokee John » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:02 am

Ponyboy_Good writing.

I've got a few beefs too.

Slamming doors. Why the hell do most people in a zombie movie slam their car doors? Shouldn't movies be teaching people things? I mean they're teaching us what NOT to do.

Arguing- Why do they always shout.They got to use their "Inside Voices" as they said in kindergarden. Especially with flesh eating zombies around you.
“Guns tell the truth. Guns never say, "I'm only kidding."
― Gustav Hasford, The Short-Timers

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:51 am

As far as characters in movies not knowing about zombies... you pretty much have to assume that what we're watching takes place in a parallel universe where there never were any zombie movies in order for it to make sense.

Errr... actually, didn't Darabont or someone specifically say that that was the case with The Walking Dead...?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:57 am

Omega DR wrote: 6. No one suffers from PTSD or PZCD (Post Zombie Combat Disorder).
Whilst it was utter crap, the scifi channel version of the omega man did have a main character who was popping pills to deal with the psychological trauma of being a survivor. It was weapons grade manure, but I think they got that part right.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Return to “Zombie Training Films”