Falling Skies

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Paladin1

Re: Falling Skies

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Sounded a little fishy to me to. What struck me funny was he came completely alone. He said some fighters/civilians survived yet he shows up alone, think there would be at least a few with him. Started to get a little fur standing up on my back then.

But on the practical side of things what was the point of sending the kids ahead, waiting for the remainder of the other force to show up?

Why not send some runners and ALL rendezvous at the more secure location?

If I knew there was an attack coming, especially after the mech/skitter scouting party, I'd be moving everyone out now!

Oh Yea, yet again WTF with grown, able bodied men NOT being fighters?

(Falling Skies, the show I love to hate)
WWSD?

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Okay, so they know how to kill 'em. They know they use radio to communicate. They know they can't tell the difference between active and inactive harnesses. WTF is up with all the kids not fighting and being trained with this intel?!

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:06 am

They are just stretching the whole kid story out too much. They just rescued a couple now they have to rescue them all.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

sarge1967

Post by sarge1967 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:24 pm

Ok correct me if I am wrong here.
Is'nt Mass. one of those states that has bans on just about ANY tactical type firearm?
Do they not have a 10 round magazine limit?
So where did all these civilians come up with AK's AR's MP-5's? All with high cap. mags. If the aliens have wipped out the majority of civilization how would they have gotten these weapons from other states? They certainly could not be from Mass.

If the civies would have raided Nat. Guard armories then they would all have M-16's Saws and M-60's. Not AK's!
"What is your major malfunction numbnuts?!"
Lee Ermy as Gunny Heartman, Full Metal Jacket

yale

Post by yale » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:35 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:UGH! I knew that multi cam wearing son of a whore could not be trusted!!
My Girlfriend was all over that as soon as he showed up.
Things I saw and didn't like besides the 7th Mass Ass...
Ben playing with his brother and then tells him all about how the skitters and the kids seem to be mentally connected, etc..., Tell me that Been and all of the other unharnessed kids have been THROUGHLY debriefed for such useful intel before being returned to the group. This seems like stuff someone up the chain of command would be interested in knowing and exploiting. Someone needs to ask Ben what the heck the aliens have them doing manual labor for. How are they eating? Do the Aliens eat? The kids all go pee together, Do the aliens pee too? Let's get these kids to get some answers.

The lady doctor and her being robbed and assaulted..... Again, another case of little to no security in the clinic she's got set up. She gets knocked on her butt and just sits there. Call the Guards, you stupid cow. Later the blond gifts her a pistol. The doc is reluctant to take it. WFT??? You are in a war against aliens and even lawless humans. You should already have a gun. You should be carrying one 24/7 like the Docs/Nurses on Combat Hospital. As someone who carries a gun daily I cringe when a character just plops a pistol on the table for someone. How do you expect the person to carry their new handgun? In their pocket or tucked Mexican style in thier pants? Give them a fracking holster for Zeus' sake. A gun with no training on it? At least show how to work the safety, slide and magazine. Better yet, if she has made it this far without one and has a hesitation toward taking it, Don't Give It To Her. She needs a fracking guard posted in the hall anyway.

I'll think of more later.
Last edited by yale on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yale

Post by yale » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

sarge1967 wrote:Ok correct me if I am wrong here.
Is'nt Mass. one of those states that has bans on just about ANY tactical type firearm?
So where did all these civilians come up with AK's AR's MP-5's? All with high cap. mags. If the aliens have wipped out the majority of civilization how would they have gotten these weapons from other states? They certainly could not be from Mass.

If the civies would have raided Nat. Guard armories then they would all have M-16's Saws and M-60's. Not AK's!
The webcomic, which can be read on the TNT website, explained away some of it by the history proff tracking down a fellow proff who was a known "gun nut". They find where the gun nut guy is hiding out and he has a whole room full of stuff that would give Rambo wet dreams. It is a partial answer the writers tried to gloss over. Everyone in Hollywood believes that we, gun owners, have AT4 rocket launchers and grenades stacked in a closet next to racks of AKs and ARs.

sarge1967

Post by sarge1967 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 pm

yale wrote:

The webcomic, which can be read on the TNT website, explained away some of it by the history proff tracking down a fellow proff who was a known "gun nut". They find where the gun nut guy is hiding out and he has a whole room full of stuff that would give Rambo wet dreams. It is a partial answer the writers tried to gloss over. Everyone in Hollywood believes that we, gun owners, have AT4 rocket launchers and grenades stacked in a closet next to racks of AKs and ARs.
Ok but how does that explain the other proff having weapons that are not legal in Mass? Unless of course he got them all pre-ban.
Yea I have racks of AK's and M-4's with crates of grenades stacked to the ceiling. Hollywood writers are a bunch of flipping idiots!
"What is your major malfunction numbnuts?!"
Lee Ermy as Gunny Heartman, Full Metal Jacket

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:10 pm

New Hampshire?

I haven't watched the ep. I DVR'ed, but I can't even be bothered. Maybe I will later if I'm bored.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Well there is the 240 bravo that keeps showing up an that Ma deuce from the first or second show. Those are definitively National guard scavenges.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MVegas
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MVegas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Yeah I laugh every time I see a character with an under or side folding AK on that show, which is constantly! I guess one could go ahead and assume that since there are so few people left, that those still alive have been continually upgrading via battlefield pickups as comrades have died off, but it's quite a mental gymnastic requred in order to accept it.
Winter is Coming

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 pm

And another thing, they don't seem to have figured out that small arms fire is bouncing off the mech's. They need some Ewoks to trip those suckers up.
WWSD?

Electricity

Post by Electricity » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

Paladin1 wrote:And another thing, they don't seem to have figured out that small arms fire is bouncing off the mech's. They need some Ewoks to trip those suckers up.
Small arms fire bounces off, but a brick of plain c4 (no nails or other shrapnel added..) litterally vaporizes the mechs..

I have tooooo many issues with this show, and have stopped watching it. Its not even fun to pick it apart anymore.

P.s. wardrobe department. Stop taking things right off the racks at Target and throwing them directly on the characters. At least roll them through some mud and dust first, sheesh.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant

yale

Post by yale » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 am

The Chapter of the Webcomic showing where they meet the Gun nut professor ( chapter 11) can be seen at http://www.tnt.tv/series/fallingskies/w ... 1452-91453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Page four of chapter 11-

Unassigned
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead
Zombieland
Night Of The Living Dead
Diary Of The Dead
Resident Evil 1-4

Post by Unassigned » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 am

I thought it was actually redeeming to see a SHOTGUN on the show for once. In a wooded area like they are in, you would expect to see the number of shotguns outnumber the friggin rifles.

As for the d-bag who is trading the kids, I called that as soon as they started showing them walking as they left the high school base. It reminded me of the pied piper. My wife told me "The writers wouldn't do something as stupid as that!" Heh, it was fun to rub that in her face.
I am AR/Glock AND 1911*gasp!*/Blue Wire/Pie/Coke/Ford/Chuck Norris
Jeriah wrote:And for the record, I once had a GREAT time at a gay bar in New York.
ZSC:029 - North East Ohio Zombie Squad - Founding Member, Chapter Officer.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am

I keep thinking that maybe they'll do something right for a change. :D
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:40 am

yale wrote:...It is a partial answer the writers tried to gloss over. Everyone in Hollywood believes that we, gun owners, have AT4 rocket launchers and grenades stacked in a closet next to racks of AKs and ARs.

Ah, for sweet AK and AR love! Their offspring will rule the galaxy. Sorry, I'd write more but I keep caressing my AT4 rockets and wondering if I should have them on a display rack in my kitchen...

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:27 pm

I am finally watching the ep. The first 5 minutes were actually pretty good.
yale wrote:The Chapter of the Webcomic showing where they meet the Gun nut professor ( chapter 11) can be seen at http://www.tnt.tv/series/fallingskies/w ... 1452-91453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Page four of chapter 11-
Man that is convenient. :roll: I would much rather see them not have this handed to them. I mean, if there is a gun nut professor out there wanking about being a hero of the PAW ( :lol: ) then the law of averages says there must be a food storage weenie with a whole wagon train of shelf stable steak tips just dying to find the right group of mediocre survivors to hand them to...

Shelf stable steak tips. Say that 5 times fast.
EricinMaryland wrote:Ah, for sweet AK and AR love! Their offspring will rule the galaxy. Sorry, I'd write more but I keep caressing my AT4 rockets and wondering if I should have them on a display rack in my kitchen...
I like how the guy on the far left in the comic above looks like he's thinking about which one to name Vera and take back to his bunk:

Image :lol:

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:53 am

This, sir, is failure #1
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am

There are no gun nut professors in MA...they are all uber-liberals here, afraid of them. Lest I remind you, the whole "take the fat kids away from the parents & give them to the govrnment" this from last week, originated with a Harvard professor....thats what you deal with here in MA. But, political leanings aside....
This story has more holes in it than swiss cheese. When my 10 y/o nephew can outthink the main characters, we have issues. The only reason I am watching this right now, is because I started to...and want to see how it ends. I still fail to see how we have been conquered by a race that cannot detect a human being 20' away, hiding in a bush, or that has a fighting force of usually 1 mech & 1 skitter. This from a race that presumably has mastered interstellar flight....did we invite them for tea first,then piss them off???? Is THAT how it started? Because I REALLY dont see your average hunter, never mind our own army, having a real issue dealing with this invasion....
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:00 am

oldsoldier wrote:There are no gun nut professors in MA...they are all uber-liberals here, afraid of them. Lest I remind you, the whole "take the fat kids away from the parents & give them to the govrnment" this from last week, originated with a Harvard professor....thats what you deal with here in MA. But, political leanings aside....
This story has more holes in it than swiss cheese. When my 10 y/o nephew can outthink the main characters, we have issues. The only reason I am watching this right now, is because I started to...and want to see how it ends. I still fail to see how we have been conquered by a race that cannot detect a human being 20' away, hiding in a bush, or that has a fighting force of usually 1 mech & 1 skitter. This from a race that presumably has mastered interstellar flight....did we invite them for tea first,then piss them off???? Is THAT how it started? Because I REALLY dont see your average hunter, never mind our own army, having a real issue dealing with this invasion....
↑ Yes, me either. Especially when they show the skitter strolling over to talk with buttwipe sell-out guy. The first thing I thought was “Hmm, on flat ground they are pretty slow (maybe ‘cuz they are not jumping about around all Spider-man like off walls, shelving units and catwalks).

They have already established that a skitter’s head, directly past the mouth is a very weak spot -a maw big enough to fit your fist all the way up to the forearm without any issue by the way-
So now let’s talk about the dimensions of the target area/area of desired impact: These things have heads larger than ours and a human head is already larger than the area for a proper kill shot on most game herbivores (and game porcines for that matter) in the U.S. We saw Weaver essentially decapitate one with a shotgun on this episode, I know pretty short range but still! :roll:

I would expect that even as far as 300 yards / 250 meters out a scoped hunting caliber bolt action or semi rifle would be a game ender for a skitter, never mind at shorter range in an ambush situation. Where are all the Mossy Oak wearing deer hunters?
:roll:
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:51 am

My thoughts are this. They only invaded MA, IL, and CA, since it was no big lose we let them have it.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:My thoughts are this. They only invaded MA, IL, and CA, since it was no big lose we let them have it.
Meh, without getting too political ...actually I wouldn't put is past 99.5% of Illinios politicians to willingly sell us out to alien invaders for a job as an ambasador or something like that.

There was this cop show that just got cancelled, Jennifer Beals played the CPD Commander and on one opening monologue she made this comment that pretty much summarized what it is like in Illinois really well:

"In Chicago, political corruption is like pizza: Other cities do it, we are just better at it."
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

basm

Post by basm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:There was this cop show that just got cancelled, Jennifer Beals played the CPD Commander and on one opening monologue she made this comment that pretty much summarized what it is like in Illinois really well:

"In Chicago, political corruption is like pizza: Other cities do it, we are just better at it."
That show was good. It wasn't 'the best' but axing it was pointless - I fucking hate the ratings machine. We get another season greenlighted of this Hallmark Channel alien apocalypse where they mostly talk and there's no real point to it even taking place in an alien apocalypse, and meanwhile Chicago Code gets killed before it can barely get out of the gate.

basm

Post by basm » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Finally finished watching last week's ep, just in time for this week's, which I will probably be asleep for.

My assessment:

The world seems to be ending. You're protecting your most valuable asset - your offspring - with everything you've got. They are the future of the human race. And yet some random guy can show up, wave his fingerless gloves, and you will give him all your offspring happily and pretty much overnight, without sending so much as a mouse out to recon first.

Also, after the one person who is apparently the only medically trained person in the hundreds with you, gets violently attacked, held at gunpoint, beaten, and all the medicine is stolen, nobody thinks to post a 24 hour guard outside the infirmary? Really?

Btw, I am tired of the fingerless gloves thing. And I just realized that everybody seems to be wearing a t-shirt with an open shirt over it. This is the uniform, I think.

Also, because they apparently seem to have enough water to keep 300 people hydrated, and cook with, I am assuming one of two things: 1) the water at the school is on; 2) they are getting water from one of the gazillions of ponds, lakes and rivers around here. So I can see no reason they need to look like shit smeared on a cracker. And put one of those cute kids to work whittling combs if you just can't get any away from the skitters, so you can comb your moppy head. And tell me somebody in all those people knows how to sharpen a knife to shave.

In other news, Maggie likes to give shooting lessons. I'm next. I just want to hear her say "loosen your wrist a little." :)

I hope tonight's ep is insane, like a mech/skitter bloodbath, everything exploding, space battles, Jedis, kitten fights, teletubbies, and the Battlestar Galactica dropping out of the sky, followed by the sun suddenly going supernova. That would be pretty decent.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”