Falling Skies

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Re: Falling Skies

Post by EricinVirginia » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:44 pm

I hope they start making more shows like this. I loved the SyFy channels remake of Dune. Enjoy shows like Eureka. The Walking Dead was fun. The commercials pay the bills, unless they want an endorsement from AK manufacturers..., but then why not? Product placement could be everything - like Hostess products in Zombieland.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:49 am

EricinMaryland wrote:Pope is the only really believable character to me. And actually, I get Captain Weaver. The guy's been thru hell. I'd be on drugs to cope as well. Mason is the dumbest person alive to go with the aliens. For being so smart, it seems he would have said... "Okay, I'll meet you back here next Monday for a conversation." Or at least he would have had a planning huddle with Weaver.
Yeah, this pretty much sums up what I think too. The show itself keeps my inner 13 y/o entertained.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:40 am

Anyone else wondering why they didn't hide the civilians underground? Maybe in the same spot that Pope's crew was hiding out? Wouldn't it make more sense to have one less thing to worry about so you can focus on a counter offensive? Eh, I'm still enjoying the show, I just wish it would shed some of the ridiculousness. The black kid would be stuck in a cell, probably being dissected, Tom Mason's kid Ben, would be on a short leash and away from military planning, Weaver would be detoxed or removed from command, finally, the high profile 'convoy' would have been much smaller, much simpler and less detectable. Oh yeah, and the black kid wouldn't have known shit about the plans, because even us idiot civilians know about OpSec. :roll:

AnimalMother
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by AnimalMother » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:07 pm

The article "Time to Move On: Just becuase you watch a show does not mean you have to keep watching it a show" in the August 2011 issue of Wired Magazine describes my thougths and sentiments towards Falling Skies. "And let's face it, you complain if shows exceed their sell by date, but you complain when they end, too."
"Well you might not believe it, but under fire Animal Mother is one of the finest human beings in the world, all he needs is someone to throw hand grenades at him the rest of his life."

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 pm

AnimalMother wrote:The article "Time to Move On: Just becuase you watch a show does not mean you have to keep watching it a show" in the August 2011 issue of Wired Magazine describes my thougths and sentiments towards Falling Skies. "And let's face it, you complain if shows exceed their sell by date, but you complain when they end, too."
I will have no complaints when Falling Skies is cancelled. I shall probably not notice as I couldn't watch it any more after the fourth or fifth episode.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 am

I will watch it to the bitter end. But, again, the writing is horrible. The ONLY reason I watch is because it is set in MA-which I like to point out the irony of this state surviving ANYTHING like what happened there...and the fictional distances between towns :)/
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 pm

pyratemime wrote:
AnimalMother wrote:The article "Time to Move On: Just becuase you watch a show does not mean you have to keep watching it a show" in the August 2011 issue of Wired Magazine describes my thougths and sentiments towards Falling Skies. "And let's face it, you complain if shows exceed their sell by date, but you complain when they end, too."
I will have no complaints when Falling Skies is cancelled. I shall probably not notice as I couldn't watch it any more after the fourth or fifth episode.
Wow you lasted longer then I did. 3 episodes in and I could no longer take it anymore. I waited all year for it to come and and it was such a huge disappointment just like heros.

Sweet premise, but bad writing, shallow characters, too much teen drama, not enough aliens, and a feel good atmosphere. Far too cheery for humanity being on the edge of extinction.

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:17 am

gelgoog wrote: a feel good atmosphere. Far too cheery for humanity being on the edge of extinction.

This! With all my vitriol I wasn't as clear as your far more succinct reply!
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

VooDooDoo
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, 28 weeks, Dawn of the Dead, Zombie, Zombie Strippers, Resident Evil...

Post by VooDooDoo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:15 pm

EricinMaryland wrote:I hope they start making more shows like this. I loved the SyFy channels remake of Dune. Enjoy shows like Eureka. The Walking Dead was fun. The commercials pay the bills, unless they want an endorsement from AK manufacturers..., but then why not? Product placement could be everything - like Hostess products in Zombieland.
Are you talking about the 2000 3 part mini-series with William Hurt?
No fracken way! The 1984 version of Dune had such a better cast!
Francesca Annis ... Lady Jessica
Leonardo Cimino ... The Baron's Doctor
Brad Dourif ... Piter De Vries
José Ferrer ... Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
Linda Hunt ... Shadout Mapes
Freddie Jones ... Thufir Hawat
Richard Jordan ... Duncan Idaho
Kyle MacLachlan ... Paul Atreides
Virginia Madsen ... Princess Irulan
Silvana Mangano ... Reverend Mother Ramallo
Everett McGill ... Stilgar
Kenneth McMillan ... Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Jack Nance ... Nefud
Siân Phillips ... Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Jürgen Prochnow ... Duke Leto Atreides
Paul L. Smith ... The Beast Rabban
Patrick Stewart ... Gurney Halleck
Sting ... Feyd Rautha
Dean Stockwell ... Doctor Wellington Yueh
Max von Sydow ... Doctor Kynes
Sean Young ... Chani

The remake made me puke in my mouth multiple times... it may have detailed this epic story better being a miniseries, but the 84 version is classic. I heard there were plans to make yet another version, but has been shelved for now. :|

The problem I see with "made for SciFi (SyFy) movies" is, they mostly all suck. B grade actors, C grade directors/productions and minuscule special effects budgets. Their TV seres however seem much better.
donjulio wrote:And honestly, I've thought about it and I can't come up with a better word for you than dick. You are acting like a dick. If you act like a dick, don't be surprised when someone calls you a dick. Dick.

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:56 am

VooDooDoo wrote:
EricinMaryland wrote:I hope they start making more shows like this. I loved the SyFy channels remake of Dune. Enjoy shows like Eureka. The Walking Dead was fun. The commercials pay the bills, unless they want an endorsement from AK manufacturers..., but then why not? Product placement could be everything - like Hostess products in Zombieland.
Are you talking about the 2000 3 part mini-series with William Hurt?
No fracken way! The 1984 version of Dune had such a better cast!
Francesca Annis ... Lady Jessica
Leonardo Cimino ... The Baron's Doctor
Brad Dourif ... Piter De Vries
José Ferrer ... Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
Linda Hunt ... Shadout Mapes
Freddie Jones ... Thufir Hawat
Richard Jordan ... Duncan Idaho
Kyle MacLachlan ... Paul Atreides
Virginia Madsen ... Princess Irulan
Silvana Mangano ... Reverend Mother Ramallo
Everett McGill ... Stilgar
Kenneth McMillan ... Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Jack Nance ... Nefud
Siân Phillips ... Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Jürgen Prochnow ... Duke Leto Atreides
Paul L. Smith ... The Beast Rabban
Patrick Stewart ... Gurney Halleck
Sting ... Feyd Rautha
Dean Stockwell ... Doctor Wellington Yueh
Max von Sydow ... Doctor Kynes
Sean Young ... Chani

The remake made me puke in my mouth multiple times... it may have detailed this epic story better being a miniseries, but the 84 version is classic. I heard there were plans to make yet another version, but has been shelved for now. :|

The problem I see with "made for SciFi (SyFy) movies" is, they mostly all suck. B grade actors, C grade directors/productions and minuscule special effects budgets. Their TV seres however seem much better.
I remember watching the 1984 version as a miniseries. It was a 3 day deal. Even the movie we see today (the 1984 series mashed up into a 3 hour movie) is missing a lot of things. If you see the directors cut, you will see some of the missing parts and Virginia Madsen had more parts in the series that where mostly cut out in the mashed up movie. I feel the old 1984 version was more entertaining, but i still wish that it should of had everything put back in when they made it a movie, even making it in 2 parts would of made it better.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:32 am

With Mason being a military historian why did he try to negotiate some sort of prisoner exchange. Like I'll go with you but you have to hand over 10 kids or something. Also if the aliens have been watching them or getting information from the blonde girl I bet they believe he's the lynchpin keeping everyone working together and without him it will all fall apart.

From a show perspective, I can see why he is going. Since it is from mostly his POV he needs to go so we can see what the alien side is like. Or even Noah Wylie thought the show was lame and he has bowed out doing season two so this is just a convenient way to get rid of his character. If they later replace him cause we find his character has to come back they can just put physical differences down to staying with the aliens.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:08 am

So is the first episode of season two gonna be "Mason Gets an Anal Probe"? :lol:
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:17 am

Have I even watched this season's finale? I don't even remember. :roll: What happened? In less than 1 sentence, please.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am

They fight and just before they succeed, prof throws it all away for some implied threat about his son an gives up, letting the aliens take him away.

basm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Silent Hill, REC (the original version), Resident Evil, The Last Man On Earth, Dawn of the Dead (modern version).

Post by basm » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 pm

SeerSavant wrote:They fight and just before they succeed, prof throws it all away for some implied threat about his son an gives up, letting the aliens take him away.
GREAT! That sounds mildly interesting, guess I have to watch it now. :lol:

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 pm

Just watched "Battle for Los Angeles" during the hurricane and thought to myself how fucking ridiculously awesome it would be if FS followed the CGI and theme of Battle for LA.

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Ok, so who watched it and what do you think?
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Watched it. Other than the inescapable sentimental bits, eh, ok. I'm with Pope tho. Wouldn't trust him for a good long while, who knows what was done to him.

/side note, is it just me, or are the mechs easier to kill now? wtf? It's not like they made mech bullets for everything did they?
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I watched the premier last night and I loved the show!

The scary thing is... if you believe in aliens... something like what is depicted in Falling Skies could actually come to fruition. Scary.

But overall I thought it was a pretty good show. I need something to watch while I wait on Walking Dead's new season to come :clap:
Learning is an ongoing process.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I watched the first hour of the new season. I was unimpressed, don't think I will be watching it further. Unless I get really bored.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:59 pm

KentsOkay wrote:I watched the first hour of the new season. I was unimpressed, don't think I will be watching it further. Unless I get really bored.
Kind of how I felt, although I'll continue to watch it since I have nothing else going on most Sunday nights. And if anyone's paying attention, I want them to make more shows of this nature, so I want the ratings to be good and all.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:11 pm

tookieblueeyes wrote:I watched the premier last night and I loved the show!

The scary thing is... if you believe in aliens... something like what is depicted in Falling Skies could actually come to fruition. Scary.

But overall I thought it was a pretty good show. I need something to watch while I wait on Walking Dead's new season to come :clap:
I believe in aliens, and I honestly can't think of a good reason for an invasion outside of preemptive or religious reasons.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Rev wrote:
I believe in aliens, and I honestly can't think of a good reason for an invasion outside of preemptive or religious reasons.
You don't think so?
Well, I am sure that if aliens wanted to destroy us or take over Earth they would have done it by now, perhaps back when humans were still weilding swords and sheilds rather than now when we have rocket launchers, Ak's, grenades and nukes.
But you never know.
So preemptive or religious reasons huh?
Got a good point there :)
Learning is an ongoing process.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Most resources we have on earth are abundant in space. If you're already up there, it's easier to gather than entering a gravity well.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Return to “Zombie Training Films”