Highschool of the Dead anime

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

yale

Re: Highschool of the Dead anime

Post by yale » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:19 am

I'm not a big aname fan so I would never have found this on my own. Thanks for posting it. I've only watched the first episode so far but it looks interesting and I'll watch more as time permits. <yeah, sure, like I have any time these days. I'm so far behind on tv shows but I'm just as behind on more important things like housework and yard stuff. Not enough hours in the day.>
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Einher

Post by Einher » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:58 am

yale wrote:I'm not a big aname fan so I would never have found this on my own. Thanks for posting it. I've only watched the first episode so far but it looks interesting and I'll watch more as time permits. <yeah, sure, like I have any time these days. I'm so far behind on tv shows but I'm just as behind on more important things like housework and yard stuff. Not enough hours in the day.>
I read the manga (comic) up to the most recent issue a few months ago after I found an online source;

Really helped me appreciate living in a society where I don't have to scrounge for things like firearms.
If I need weapons, I can simply scrounge my closet.

On the other hand, I'm hardly outnumbered by big chested and alarmingly air headed women like the characters in those comic books.

Oh, misogyny; where would foreign teenage publications be without you?
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 am

My brother is much more into anime than I am and pointed this show out to me. I must say I really like it so far with the exception of the random breast jiggles and panty shots. They just really snap me out of the show and into 'huh' land. Maybe if I watched more anime than I do it wouldn't strike me as so oddly placed within the show.

Overall though very much enjoying the story line and like most of the characters.

books

Post by books » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:33 pm

I've never really watched anime before, but it was on Netflix Instant Play, so I started watching it online. All the gratuitous panty shots are a little off-putting. :/
  • Software Developer
  • EMT-B/CPR/HAZMAT/IC
  • Ham radio ticket: General (L2)
  • PeaceCorps Africa (3 years)
  • Trilingual: Russian (fluent)/French (fluent)
  • BS: Math & Computer Science
  • BA: Liberal Arts (major)/Military History (minor)
  • MBA student (current)

Quick Shot xMLx

Post by Quick Shot xMLx » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Not bad at all. Kind if pissed there are only 12 episodes so far though. Now I have to go ahead and read the manga :o

Einher

Post by Einher » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:57 pm

books wrote:I've never really watched anime before, but it was on Netflix Instant Play, so I started watching it online. All the gratuitous panty shots are a little off-putting. :/
Yes, there seemed to be a lot of "fan-service" in the anime.

The manga (comic) is a little less gratuitous and more story driven, but it's still fairly gratuitous.
полиция wrote:Полицейский инструктировал меня, что если убьеш грабителя у себя дома то надо вложить ему в руку нож или иное орудие преступления до того как пришли полицейские, иначе могут самого хозяина дома посадить за убийство.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:14 am

I like the fan service. Good way to take out some of the darkness of the subject matter. I mean the hero beat his friend's head in with a baseball bat. That would be really depressing if it wasn't for the panty shots and all the almost naked boobs.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

White Bear

Post by White Bear » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:20 am

Einherjrar wrote: On the other hand, I'm hardly outnumbered by big chested and alarmingly air headed women
Yeah, Living in Japan can be pretty hard sometimes :lol:

It's funny since I started this thread, but I never actually watched more than the first episode. I guess I'll have to watch the rest, and maybe track down the manga to read too.
I'm a normal guy with nothing to hide.

jermzy
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of Them

Post by jermzy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 am

I love this animie, and the Manga, Theres an OVA for the first season and the manga is aperently gonna start again in December. I really hope they do. So few Zombie based animes out there. lol
-Jeremy

Ramen
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of the Dead (1978)
Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Post by Ramen » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm

Well I'm back after watching the anime on netflix and reading the scanlations and I have to say as with a lot of things the manga seems better then the anime but both are great. I guess I've watched to much anime because the fan service didn't faze me while watching.

One thing that struck me with both is instead of having a bleak hopeless overtone like a lot of zombie fiction instead there seemed to be mood of optimism and hope. That all you needed was the will to fight, to keep moving, and try to help as much as you can. I also liked the fact that they didn't just abandon their families and get out of dodge, they where trying to survive the apocalypse while trying to find and save those they cared about. It would be fairly similar for me, I'm sure I couldn't just leave town without making an attempt to make sure my family and maybe some friends where ok or going with me in a disaster.

yale

Post by yale » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:24 am

I had the weekend off and vegged by watching all 12 episodes of HOTD back to back. It was pretty enjoyable but I have to agree with several others here who mentioned that the many jiggly/panty shots were a bit offputting and distracting. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not a big anime fan and am not sure of the demographic that it is marketed to. I'm 43yo and I have to admit that at times I felt like one of those perverts that ends up on To Catch A Predator. I like jigglie bits and panty shots as much as the next red blooded American male but when the characters are mostly Sophmores and Juniors I found it a bit...dirty...to watch some scenes. Now if they were college coeds, sure, flash those upskirt shots and barely clothed scenes.

Einher

Post by Einher » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:58 am

yale wrote:I had the weekend off and vegged by watching all 12 episodes of HOTD back to back. It was pretty enjoyable but I have to agree with several others here who mentioned that the many jiggly/panty shots were a bit offputting and distracting. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not a big anime fan and am not sure of the demographic that it is marketed to. I'm 43yo and I have to admit that at times I felt like one of those perverts that ends up on To Catch A Predator. I like jigglie bits and panty shots as much as the next red blooded American male but when the characters are mostly Sophmores and Juniors I found it a bit...dirty...to watch some scenes. Now if they were college coeds, sure, flash those upskirt shots and barely clothed scenes.
Criteria of the target demographic likely includes:
Horny
Male
Likes Mild Erotica
Enjoys Fantasy Violence
Watches Japanese Cartoons

My guess is when you add that all together and you get anywhere from a third to half of the planets population.

Joking aside though, I usually attribute any dirty feelings when reading manga or watching anime to simple culture shock.

You really probably don't want to know what they cut from even the shows marketed to kids when they export them.
Sailor moon has her naked transformation scenes, Misty takes naked showers with her pokemon, etc.
Obviously, before those shows get aired outside japan the exported content receive a very liberal scrubbing of all those parts by the local studio doing the translations and voiceovers if it's marketed to a certain viewer age.
(There was actual concern expressed by a few parents I knew who didn't want their kids exposed to cartoons like pokemon because they had heard japanese animation was filled with objectionable things like this, so I took the time to research by asking a friend of mine who grew up in japan about it on behalf of their honest concern.)

I've come to understand that it's ultimately pretty innocent because I have to imagine their original audiences have become desensitized to seeing it, but when we see those things our brains tend to kerplode because it's definitely not something we're used to seeing. If these kinds of things were aired on general broadcast television here, there would in short order be mobs formed to lynch the network that aired them and burn the studio that produced them with fire and gasoline.
On the other hand, I grew up on Roadrunner blowing up the Coyote and Bugs Bunny being constantly shot at by the guns carried by Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam... so I figure if I can be desensitized to what amounts to mild cartoon violence, another culture can certainly become desensitized to what amounts to mild cartoon erotica.

You may rest assured that the male heros' are near totally sexually repressed limp-dicks who will never actually score any of that teenage booty. At most, the heros' will glimpse the hint of a thigh, blood will pour from their nose in buckets and they will sink to the ground after quite literally fainting, usually never getting to actually see the goods beyond maybe a bra strap or a very brief exposure of a panty.

Coming as it is from a culture where things like public baths exist and have actual patrons and are not just filled with perverts (a situation which is actually hard to envision since I grew up here in the US), I don't think it's so far outside the norm.

Try not to feel dirty, It's just culture shock; and it is after all just a cartoon.

ETA: (after some thought) ...Aaaand it is now a cartoon that I have posted too much about lately. I'll leave this here as food for thought and refrain from saying any more.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:26 am

Any news about a second season of the anime?
It can always get worse.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”