Highschool of the Dead anime

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

White Bear

Highschool of the Dead anime

Post by White Bear » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:31 pm

From Director Tetsuro Araki (Deathnote, Black Lagoon), and adapted from the highly successful manga of the same name by Daisuke Sato, comes one of the hottest new shows of the Summer, High School of the Dead. A deadly new disease is ravaging the world, turning the populace into mindless zombies, and the number of infected is skyrocketing by the second. As their fellow classmates and teachers succumb to the infection around them, a small group of students at Fujimi High School are fighting for their lives after surviving the initial outbreak. It is up to Takashi Komuro to unite the group of weary survivors and try to escape the horrors that surround them. In this new world of the living dead...will they escape?

Is anyone else watching this show? I just watched the first episode and it was pretty good. Pretty standard first day of the zombie apocalypse episode with people panicking, being clueless, and turning on each other to survive (plus a load of gratuitous fan service, if you like that like of thing).

It's being licensed and webcasted by Sentai filmworks and Anime Nation so you can watch it online at your convenience(although anime nation make you register for a free account)
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Hi ... dead/Watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm a normal guy with nothing to hide.

Fenris

Re: Highschool of the Dead anime

Post by Fenris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:57 pm

So it's Battle Royale with zombies?

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

Fu Shen
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '78
DotD '84
Shaun of the Dead
Night of the Living Dorks
Among others

Post by Fu Shen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't hold out any hope for any anime, but something decent pops up from time to time. After watching the first couple minutes, I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised. I'll be finishing the episode and following along if it stays good.

And I can certainly vouch for loads of fan service, even after just a couple minutes. :o

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Meh, my wife likes fan-service, such as in Witchblade and Ichi Tousen, so I bet she'll agree to us watching it together, lolz.

In any case, this should be a pretty good anime, from the maker of Black Lagoon and DeathNote... It may even get loads of hype because of that fact.

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

Lodewijk

Post by Lodewijk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:07 pm

I read the first few chapters a long time ago, this seems to walk a decent line between being faithful and peppering in new things. Not horrible, for anime.
Fenris wrote:wife likes fan-service
holy cow lol

Raktus

Post by Raktus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:05 pm

If theres one thing I want you to know about me from my posts, aside from the love of military strategy literature, it is my love of Zombies and Anime. Well, I just recently came across a new series that combines both of my loves into one very jiggly gel.

Did I mention jiggly? Becuase if I didn't, this anime has jiggly up the wazzo. From bouncing breasts to upskirt shots to wet t-shirts, this anime encompases both aspects of the sex sells industries of hentai (without the nudity so far) and B-rated Zombie flicks. I say this as a warning to those that don't appreciate either, but not as a disclaimer to keep you from sampling.

Aside from the bouncing of things and the exposure of panties, this anime has a graphic design on par with today's best long running animes (Think Naruto or Bleach style). In fact the characters and opening remind me a lot of Bleach, only in their actions as no one has any special abilities you couldn't apparently learn from a Japanese High School.

Generally, it features everything you'd find in a Romeroesque zombie film with some things you might find described in a Brooks book. The first episode was released on the 5Th of this month so I can only review it based on the merit of its first episode, but so far I highly recommend giving this anime a try.
What do we want!?
Brainzzzz
When do we want it!?
Brainzzzz

Night Fox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead remake, Diary of the dead

Post by Night Fox » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:49 pm

lol i just made a post about this. SWEET ANIME!!!

Grant

Post by Grant » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Eh...not my thing, really, and I actually LIKE anime in general. Even so, this comes as close as you probably can to being a hentai without actually being one. It has some great parts, but they're sort of muddled in with a lot of '?????'. It doesn't work for me. I imagine quite a few people will enjoy it, though. Definitely very true to the GR school of zombie flicks.
"Headshots...headshots...Do you know how to do anything else?!"

"Hey, you'd be surprised how many things that works on!"
“Yes, that IS a thousand rounds in my pocket, AND I’m happy to see you!”: The advantage of the .22lr

Nofoa

Post by Nofoa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:01 pm

I have only one problem with the anime.... Its in japan. Guns are akin to zombie apocolypse, like cheerleaders are to football. Yet its in japan, land of gun-phobia. Nuff said.
"What do you do?"
"I draw naked women."

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:02 pm

I watched all seven episodes last night that are english subbed. I'm lovin' it.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Nofoa wrote:I have only one problem with the anime.... Its in japan. Guns are akin to zombie apocolypse, like cheerleaders are to football. Yet its in japan, land of gun-phobia. Nuff said.
They eventually get guns. It is sort of a big point of the series. In the manga they go through a lot of effort to keep the guns after they get them too.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:45 pm

I like it. I was rather surprised when I first started watching it how pretty it was. I'm going to have to start watching new anime more. It has a shit load of fan service but like normal I am eventually able to tune it out and just watch the show. I am fairly OK with the initial weapons, other than the modified nail gun anyway. Stuck in Japan AND a High School? Baseball bat would probably be the best you could do.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Episode 8 has just been subbed and posted. Just sayin'.

dangerkrue

Post by dangerkrue » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:04 pm

Nofoa wrote:I have only one problem with the anime.... Its in japan. Guns are akin to zombie apocolypse, like cheerleaders are to football. Yet its in japan, land of gun-phobia. Nuff said.

You shouldnt be so close minded. As Aikibiker said, they eventually get firearms, and the show is rather pro-gun as well as throws in safety tips. It is funny to watch the American stereotypes they portray as I find it interesting to watch different cultures views of different societies and the biases associated with it. Sort of like saying an entire country is hoplophobic :wink:

I never really got into anime, but I love this show.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:45 am

You know, I have noticed something about manga and anime recently. There has been more and more portrayal of legal civilian gun ownership by Japanese citizens. Kenichi's dad in World's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is shown to own several firearms. There are a couple scenes during the initial outbreak in High School of the Dead showing ordinary Japanese citizens with hunting firearms.

It is legal to own (certain) guns in Japan. I understand it is harder to acquire the licenses then in England, but it is legal and their popular culture is starting to recognize that and show it to others. Hopefully that will inspire at least one Japanese to get their own zombie slaying tools.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Raiden

Post by Raiden » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:00 pm

As for me, not that i'm a big anime fan, but this anime has a lot of action and includes one of my favourite topics of films and books - dealing with zombies.
but there's no such problem as getting food, drinks and ammo highlighted in the Highschool Of Dead. maybe there will be some in future.
so i'm looking forward to watch new episodes

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Watched the first episode the other day, and damn, does Takashi get straight to the point with his ex or what *slap*

-fenris-

Spaghetti Monster

Post by Spaghetti Monster » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 am

Just thought I'd add that this series is on Netflix now. Oh and Japanese are a bunch of pervs (episode 5) funny how they make fun of Palin the NRA and interget naked chicks and zombies in the middle of it. It is intertaining if nothing else.

SamuraiBobX26
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive

Post by SamuraiBobX26 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:23 am

The Manga is quite old and great to read. I have seen the entire first season and it is awsome. I hope that season 2 gets underway so I can watch so more zombie killing goodness.
A Sword may be sharp, but a keen mind is sharper.

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

Foxen

Post by Foxen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:18 am

Spaghetti Monster wrote:Just thought I'd add that this series is on Netflix now. Oh and Japanese are a bunch of pervs (episode 5) funny how they make fun of Palin the NRA and interget naked chicks and zombies in the middle of it. It is intertaining if nothing else.
Unfortunately my second time through High School of the Dead was on Netflix, and "dubbed". In the original subtitled version they don't make comments about Palin, nor the NRA I think. Leave that to the American anime companies... ah well.

Night Fox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead remake, Diary of the dead

Post by Night Fox » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:23 am

theres a dubbed version out? First time I heard about it. The thing i didnt like was when they left it on such a cliffhanger and havent made any more eps yet. Has anyone heard of a season 2 of it being made yet?

Foxen

Post by Foxen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Night Fox wrote:theres a dubbed version out? First time I heard about it. The thing i didnt like was when they left it on such a cliffhanger and havent made any more eps yet. Has anyone heard of a season 2 of it being made yet?
The Netflix version is dubbed. Hence, the inclusion of substance such as NRA and Sarah Palin...which I don't believe were in the original subbed.

Ramen
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of the Dead (1978)
Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Post by Ramen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 am

I just watched the series on netflix and I have to say its one of the best new anime I've seen. Of course that's because it combines zombies, anime, jiggley bits, a good story.

It also made me think about a few things while watching it. For instance thinking about the companions you would be traveling with in a disaster situation, how you need to care about the living and try to help people both physically and mentally. The incident with the Emp pulse taking out anything with an integrated circuit making red dot sights useless. Also a new rule for zombie survival if your reloading shells by hand in a shotgun or revolver and drop some don't recover them just start shooting what you've loaded or pull some more from your pouches, pockets, or loops and load.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:21 pm

It is very doubtful an EMP would take out an Aimpoint or any orther RDS made out of metal. It is also very unlikely that an EMP would disable most vehicles, although I think that a prius would not fair well.

Either way that is what backup ironsights and bicycles are for. I was kind of wondering why they never removed the Aimpoint from Takeshi's Ithaca or Rei's M1A when they both clearly have iron sights, although I noticed his new M1014 he got in the manga had a Trijicon Reflex which uses fiber optics and tritium to power the dot. It was also never said whether or not the Aimpoint on the suppressed MP5 that Saya acquired works or not. After they found a working flashlight and figured out that not all electronics were destroyed by the EMP.

Joel

Return to “Zombie Training Films”