"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

HuntingBow96

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by HuntingBow96 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:08 am

RickOShea wrote:
ineffableone wrote:Who cares about the kid playing with a zombie. I want to know why someone was using a gas stove when they had a perfectly good wood cook stove? And where did they get the gas for the stove? At this point gas lines should not be working.
These are called "residential propane tanks":

Whenever you need more, you call your local propane provider and a dude or dudette in a truck like this will show up and refill your tank:

Yup, we have one on our farm, Costs a bomb to fill up though :gonk:

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:12 am

Finally watched the most recent episode last night. Also watched the sneak peak.

My thoughts on both: The writing in this show is getting sloppy. It's one thing to occasionally include a "tip of the hat," and recycle stylistic devices that've been done before, but on the TWD it's getting to be a bit much.

Collapsing at the crossroads. Old time music while a creepy scene plays out in the background. The tea pot boiling over.

C'mon, man. Some things get a pass in comics, like waking from a coma in the zombie apocalypse (Gee, that's never been done before!). But this is a big-time TV show and viewers deserve a bit more creativity.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Entertainment Weekly interview with Kirkmam. Saying Sundays episode is going to be one you "absolutely" have to watch.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/14/walki ... ?hpt=hp_t3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 pm

DJH wrote:Image

I saw that the other day. Sumdood named Park that makes custom Barbies.

Moar pics here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/this ... lking-dead
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:35 pm

74 or more wrote:Entertainment Weekly interview with Kirkmam. Saying Sundays episode is going to be one you "absolutely" have to watch.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/14/walki ... ?hpt=hp_t3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, I believe it will be the episode that Andrew Lincoln said would be "a bit shocking & controversial".

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:35 pm

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:58 pm

"Song by Brighton Sharbino (Lizzie Samuels) and Kyla Kenedy (Mika Samuels) inspired by 4x14 of The Walking Dead - 'The Grove'"

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:58 pm

I immediately imagined Terminus is indeed a trap. No one is that organized and well-meaning in this series, advertising a shelter seems like an ideal strategy to steal resources.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:19 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:I immediately imagined Terminus is indeed a trap. No one is that organized and well-meaning in this series, advertising a shelter seems like an ideal strategy to steal resources.
The big thing that makes me think it is either a trap, or over run and not still a safe place is that a group that organized and able to put up signs pretty much all over the state would likely have noticed big groups like Woodbury and the Prison. I would have thought if they were a safe well organized group they would have at least made attempts to contact either of these other large groups and either join together, or at least make trade partners with them.

I know this might be a bit too much logic for a fictional show. But it is pretty much my thinking on why Terminus is too good to be true. Real life something that big and organized would have been heard from sooner by other large groups.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:43 pm

ineffableone wrote:
KnifeStyle wrote:I immediately imagined Terminus is indeed a trap. No one is that organized and well-meaning in this series, advertising a shelter seems like an ideal strategy to steal resources.
The big thing that makes me think it is either a trap, or over run and not still a safe place is that a group that organized and able to put up signs pretty much all over the state would likely have noticed big groups like Woodbury and the Prison. I would have thought if they were a safe well organized group they would have at least made attempts to contact either of these other large groups and either join together, or at least make trade partners with them.

I know this might be a bit too much logic for a fictional show. But it is pretty much my thinking on why Terminus is too good to be true. Real life something that big and organized would have been heard from sooner by other large groups.
1. We have no idea how long those signs have been out there.

2. Macon/Terminus is supposed to be 70 miles away.

3. There was another time jump between seasons.

If those signs have only been there for a few months, then it could be after the Guv burned Woodbury to the ground. Seems to me that they (whoever "they" are) are just putting out signs on the railroad tracks and making weak radio broadcasts......Not actively going out and searching for people to round up, just sitting back and waiting for people to come to them.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

If those signs have only been there for a few months, then it could be after the Guv burned Woodbury to the ground. Seems to me that they (whoever "they" are) are just putting out signs on the railroad tracks and making weak radio broadcasts......Not actively going out and searching for people to round up, just sitting back and waiting for people to come to them.
Not actively picking people up when you have the ability to hang signs all around the state and just waiting for people to come to you stinks of trap.

Any group that had the ability to spread signs over such a large area as they show the routes on the sign maps (the entire state), had to have been active for quite awhile, that would be months of work to put up the signs all over. Pretty much every town has a railroad line going through it. So I would suspect they went through Woodbury at some point. Now the area that was "safe" was only a few blocks, but still seems like the scouts hanging signs would have noticed something. If they really are offering sanctuary to anyone who shows up at their place while not actively searching for survivors, one would think if they stumbled upon a large group of survivors they would at least make an attempt to contact them. I mean they want people to come to them, and are out advertising it, and they see some people, why hide from them?

Of course like I said the first time, I think the issue is more that all this is just too much logic to expect from a TV show. I think Terminus was not foreshadowed in early episodes because it had not existed, as it doesn't exist in the GN. While there is a lot of speculation of Terminus turning out to be a few different things from the GN, there was no signs leading survivors from the prison to some sanctuary. So I suspect while Woodbury and the prison were happening, they hadn't actually written in Terminus for the TV show. So little things like the Terminus scouts not contacting the other settlements would not have come up as there wasn't a Terminus at the time.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Not actively picking people up when you have the ability to hang signs all around the state and just waiting for people to come to you stinks of trap.

Any group that had the ability to spread signs over such a large area as they show the routes on the sign maps (the entire state), had to have been active for quite awhile, that would be months of work to put up the signs all over. Pretty much every town has a railroad line going through it. So I would suspect they went through Woodbury at some point. Now the area that was "safe" was only a few blocks, but still seems like the scouts hanging signs would have noticed something. If they really are offering sanctuary to anyone who shows up at their place while not actively searching for survivors, one would think if they stumbled upon a large group of survivors they would at least make an attempt to contact them. I mean they want people to come to them, and are out advertising it, and they see some people, why hide from them?

Of course like I said the first time, I think the issue is more that all this is just too much logic to expect from a TV show. I think Terminus was not foreshadowed in early episodes because it had not existed, as it doesn't exist in the GN. While there is a lot of speculation of Terminus turning out to be a few different things from the GN, there was no signs leading survivors from the prison to some sanctuary. So I suspect while Woodbury and the prison were happening, they hadn't actually written in Terminus for the TV show. So little things like the Terminus scouts not contacting the other settlements would not have come up as there wasn't a Terminus at the time.
And you know for a fact that these Terminus people have put up signs "all around the state", or are you just assuming that from some black lines traced on a map?

You can assume all you want, but like I said, we have no idea how long those signs have been there. How many people are at Terminus, 10, 50, 500? When did they start putting up the signs, last year or last month? Did they have enough people to start putting out signs in every direction, or did they go down one spur at a time? Was the spur the various groups are following now one of the first ones they posted signs on or one of the last ones?

We'll find out what the deal is eventually, and you may very well be correct, but until then your "logic" is full of assumptions.

ETA: What would really suck, and would be right up the Troll King's (Kirkman) alley, would be for them to focus all their attention on Terminus, walk all that way, and end-up finding a place overrun with walkers.

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:45 pm

WOW, Lizzie, WTF?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Damn, Carol killed a man and a woman with a knife.....and got away with it.

Her new nickname should be "O.J." :ooh:

----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by RickOShea on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Well, as a father of two little girls (about their age) this episode really was painful.

You can only imagine what this kind of stress could do to a child. How it would effect them.

My biggest fear in a crisis is how to protect my 3 children.
WWSD?

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:12 pm

I don't think I would have waited to deal with Lizzie.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Excellent episode. It tied up a lot of loose ends. That Brighton Sharbino is a great young actress. Very expressive eyes and those unique eyebrows will make her an actress to look for in 8-10 years from now.

Yes, Tyreese forgave Carol, but he just saw Carol put down an 11 year old girl and her sort of surrogate daughter. That is a living hell that Carol will carry for years.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:37 pm

I'm 1/2 and hour behind just watched it on DVR. All I got to say is "WOW!" Best episode this season and the darkest TWD has ever gone.

Oh and I also figured a house in the middle of nowhere would have propane.

RepoMan73
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RepoMan73 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Why oh why do they keep leaving kids alone during the zombie apoc?
My opinion...60% of the time, it's right every time!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:I'm 1/2 and hour behind just watched it on DVR. All I got to say is "WOW!" Best episode this season and the darkest TWD has ever gone.
Yeah, for me the best episode of the second half (so far). But still, it sucks that they started out with a bunch of kids at the beginning of the season, and now they're all gone (I don't know if we'll ever see Luke & Molly again).

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:21 am

The next episode looks awesome :clap:

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:03 am

ineffableone wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

I think y'all are assuming too much. First if you watched "The Talking Dead" after this week's show, they talk about how the burned walkers are probably from the fire Beth and Daryl set which means any Terminus signs those 2 see are the same ones Tyreese/Carol are going to follow. They talked about how all the groups appear to be in the same general area, but just seem to keep missing each other like last week when Daryl runs into the group that took over the house that Rick/Michone/Carl were in. You assume the people from Terminus put them at every intersection in every town on every rail line. Maybe, but I think they would start with main lines between major cities and not one that ends at a coal mine. You also don't know the timeline of the stories. For all we know they are happening 2 weeks apart or are all synchronized. Its not like they show a date each one is happening. Also if Terminus had hand pump rail carts or horses (yea, they still exist probably), they'd go a lot faster than those walking and could cover much more ground each day to hang their signs, so I doubt it would take months.

As to going out and seeking other groups to bring them to Terminus, how many people do you send in these groups? Two? Twenty? For all you know they already sent out these people who might have been to Woodbury and their heads were in the aquariums of the Governor. If I kept losing people when I send them out to find others, I'd stop it and just put up signs and let those willing to come to Terminus enter. Also maybe they did sent out groups. Maybe the group with Daryl is one of the "welcoming committees". Sure I don't think it's a Utopian Society at Terminus and if it was, it would be the end of the show. I also don't expect them to be a tribe of cannibals either.

Throw away your GN when you watch the show. They aren't following them, so don't expect them to do so.

Let the show run its course and we can see where it takes us.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:52 am

Great episode; easily the strongest since the mid season premier, perhaps of the entire season. Restores my faith in the show's ability to surprise and shock.

A nifty, soul-searing reminder that life in the zompoc would seriously, seriously suck.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 am

My only quibble is this: When Lizzie says, "I know what to do now," a tuned-in adult would have said: "Tell me," in order to be sure the kid really understands. Never assume when a kid says "I know" that they really know, or that when they make a vague statement of understanding that they mean what you want them to mean by it. Especially a kid with emotional or mental problems.
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”