"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Rugger

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Rugger » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:33 am

ineffableone wrote:
Halfapint wrote:also am I the only one who thinks that Rick didn't actually kill the Pete (the wife beater), I personally think he killed Reg....... It would go with the above "mercy" theme. Just my thought
He definitely turned toward Pete and fired. So I don't think he gave Reg mercy. Though he should need to do that too. But I don't think the town was ready for that part yet.
The mayor, or whatever she is, needs to finish off her husband herself. It'll rip away the last bit of naivety she's holding onto, I think.

And I was certain somebody big was dying all night. Thought is was going to be Glenn for sure, then Daryl, then Sasha or the preacher, or some random member of the group getting attacked by a walker that leaps out of the shadows once we all let our guard down.

Gotta say, I would've been highly pissed if it'd been Daryl. Especially with him missing the obvious cans hanging on strings.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 am

ineffableone wrote:Something I don't understand is how Daryl was not alerted to the booby trap at the cannery. I saw cans hanging from string or something on the trailers as they were walking up between the trailers they passed right by them. Daryl who had used such cans on string to set up perimeter alarms should have at least recognized them and questioned what was going on there at the cannery.
Same here.... Saw them figured for sure it was a trap, also.... Also I don't think walkers would stand idly by with people walking outside. Oversight? Or Daryl losing his touch, and becoming more "human"??
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:08 am

Just watched the episode again.... and the other recruiter (can't remember his name) had his face 1/2" away from the trailer door. Zombies who can hear a knife tap on a fence at over 50' away couldn't hear him talk? Or is it that when they are in a dark spot they just don't make noise regardless?? Also you're telling me with hes mug right up against the door there he couldn't see the wires that open everything? And Daryl couldn't see the intricate wire system that opens up both the front and the rear of the shipping containers? This scene is killing me!!!!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:13 am

Go kung-fu Morgan! A man who clearly appreciates good staff work.

--------------------------------------
Of the Quarterstaff George Silver wrote…

“The Short staffe is the best weapon against all manner of weapons.”- From Paradoxes of Defence 1699

Zachary Wylde reflected this just over 100 years later in 1711 when he wrote the following…

“For a man that rightly understands it, may bid defiance and laugh at any other weapon.” – From English Master of Defence
-----------------------------------------

Did anyone else notice the 'machete to the zombie head' framing was exactly like the shot from the 1978 Dawn of the Dead? Nice homage.

Props to the Wolves for a trap based on exploiting zombie behavior.

Oh, and I win the Dead Pool!

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58215&start=10968#p2577431
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:01 am

This was not a great episode. It was all right. It wasn't particularly good.

I thought Rick took out Reg, not Porchdick. Porchdick doesn't require killing. Porchdick may be expelled as punishment. Reg absolutely needs to be finished. We've seen in the past that the person killing the friend who is about to turn is usually a pivotal moment (like Sophia). It's done as a way to show that killing people isn't as easy as the audience may think. It's easy to say "Oh, I'd kill that person right away!" They're pretty consistent about illustrating the idea that it's difficult to take life when there is no direct and immediate threat, and I respect that.

I'm very curious to learn more about the whole W thing. They're doing a great job of stretching that out. We've gotten a little more info. I'm curious to learn if any of this info is true and more about the other members.

I don't have an issue with them not going into a lot of depth showing Porchdick being a doctor. There are more important things I'd rather be watching as the audience. They've shown him drunk. They've shown him sober. They've mentioned him being a doctor. They've mentioned him working as a doctor. I'm pretty good with the work they've done with him. They do portray him as shallow, I don't think he's their most shallow character, or even the most shallow of the season.

I'm curious if they're going to try and turn Morgan into Jesus from the graphic novels. I'm not sure where Morgan is using martial arts from. I get it, time has passed, but it wasn't a skill he had before and he didn't appear to have it at the time of the Clear episode either. If he's learned how to really fight I'm going to want more than a little explanation. I'm also not going easily be happy with Lennie James as a martial artist because he as an actor doesn't know how to fight and his movements aren't going to be very good without a tremendous amount of training (more than I've seen any TV show go to the trouble of providing). There's some precedent with characters developing martial prowess spontaneously (Michonne), but I think it would be a lame crutch (they've already done it). Jesus should be an actor who has some sort of decent martial arts training so it isn't painful to watch. At any rate, Morgan appears to be less crazy, so he's undergone some big changes. I'm very much looking forward to learning more about Morgan! Maybe Jesus trained Morgan.

Yes, the walker trap in the trailers was poorly written.
* It was too much of a gotcha moment. There was noise outside (Darryl and Aaron talking) which likely would have alerted them. Once alert the zombies would have made noise and the surprise to the audience would have been impacted.
* When the doors opened and the guys immediately moved away from the loading area the zombies were too spread out way, way too quickly. That was lame. They could have shot the scene only slightly differently and fixed this.

Yes, Morgan helping the guys get out of the car was poorly written.
* It looked like the zombies were 2 or 3 deep trying to get into the car. As soon as they open the door Morgan is right there? I don't buy that at all.
* In close quarters like that Aaron should have switched to a shorter bladed knife. The machete was the wrong tool for confined spaces like that (I don't buy for a second that while out scouting he doesn't have a smallish knife on his person).

I'm not sure how I feel about Morgan's primary melee weapon. There is a lot of variance in how easy it is to destroy the skull of a zombie. The impression I've gotten is that this has to do with how long it's been since the zombie turned and the conditions in which the zombie existed. It would be a lot harder to destroy a fresh zombie with his jo staff. This makes me question the choice of the jo staff as a primary melee weapon. I think even if it was a really dense hardwood it would require too much force to be effective 100% of the time due to weight.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 am

Yeah this finale was kind of ho-hum.

I was kind of confused with Morgan. The last time Rick saw Morgan, he was stone cold crazy, living alone, and almost killed Rick. Somehow during that time Morgan became sane, peace loving (he went out of his way not to kill the Wolves kids) and wanted to re-unite with Rick....oh and somehow he got Bo Staff skills.

I found it almost comical when Morgan walks in on Rick shooting Pete (Unless Halfpint is right and Rick off'ed the Mayor's dying husband). I can see Morgan finally coming to terms with his son and wife's death, and wanting to reunite with his old buddy Rick. Hey this Alexandria is real nice. What Rick is over there by the firepit. I wonder if they are making smores. These people are so nice. Hey Rick its me Morgan what you been up to..............BLAM!!!... WTF Rick???

"The Wolves" seem to be just a few goofball teens, not this large scary horde of bad guys with an army of zombies.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:20 am

Halfapint wrote:also am I the only one who thinks that Rick didn't actually kill the Pete (the wife beater), I personally think he killed Reg....... It would go with the above "mercy" theme. Just my thought
I am positive he shot Reg and not the MD.

That is too good of a plot twist/complication to give away for the season premier. The drama of what do we do with Pete now vs. a mercy head shot for Reg. If you were the writer what would you hold out for the premier. That said can go either way if they cannot come up with a good dialog for the "what do we do with Pete?" thread.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 am

Mikeyboy wrote:I was kind of confused with Morgan. The last time Rick saw Morgan, he was stone cold crazy, living alone, and almost killed Rick. Somehow during that time Morgan became sane, peace loving (he went out of his way not to kill the Wolves kids) and wanted to re-unite with Rick....oh and somehow he got Bo Staff skills.
Well, on the Talking Dead, Lennie James said that something significant happened to Morgan since the last time Rick saw him (Clear)......so maybe he found a blind monk that taught him numchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills, etc., etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA: I think this was probably my favorite season finale so far:

- The return of Morgan
- Intro of some Natural Born Killer-types who appear to be really enjoying themselves in the ZPAW-WROL
- Mention of the ASZ Boogeyman, "Davidson"
- Glenn gets to show again that you should never underestimate him
- Abe & Eugene make amends
- Maggie, Sasha, & Father G seem to have found their faith again
- Rick admits he screwed-up, but still appears to have gotten the ASZ people to open their eyes
- Another Abe-ism, "There's a vast ocean of shit, that you don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit”
- Michonne realizing she can't be without her sword
- Undercover Carol still pulling strings

I hope they keep going with these 90 minute finales.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Who's gonna tend to Glenn's gunshot wound now???

Glen, "hey guy's i'm back can someone get me the doctor...."
"what do you mean Rick shot the doctor???"
"I'm fucked...."

But i guess they can take a trip back to Atlanta and get another doctor.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:24 pm

For a 90 minute episode, it still seemed like 45 minutes long...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm

raptor wrote:
I am positive he shot Reg and not the MD.

That is too good of a plot twist/complication to give away for the season premier. The drama of what do we do with Pete now vs. a mercy head shot for Reg. If you were the writer what would you hold out for the premier. That said can go either way if they cannot come up with a good dialog for the "what do we do with Pete?" thread.
If you watched the Talking Dead, when they do the death montage. Porch dick was shown for when Rick turned and fired. I don't think there is any chance he gave Reg Mercy with that shot.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Did anyone else note that Morgan had a Mors pot at his camp? Not only did he gain shaolin monk skills, but gained some bushcrafting gear.

Also something else I noticed, the main zombies this episode, all had saggy lower chins, and some even it seemed their lower jaws hung a bit low. Kinda weird, not sure if that was just something the special effects team was just sort of keen on this episode so included it a bunch of times. Or if there was some further meaning behind it. Like they are sloughing off their flesh? Or like the poll on TD maybe the start of zombie super mutians?
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:50 pm

At this point, I'd like to see most zombies being heavily degraded and a reduced threat while newly dead are considered an uncommonly more substantial threat. It's been a long while since we've seen a recently turned person do much damage, the typical walker is now waved off with a couple stabs while the characters have a casual conversation about the weather. I'd also love to see how the special effects guys would handle an incredibly, extremely decomposed walker who was beyond mobile. At what point do they just die on their own?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I liked it.
The number of sub-plots going on at different locations definitely used the extended time of the episode efficiently.

Morgan's use of a staff may just be the out come of a lot of practice- he's had weeks to work with it and obviously a wealth of roaming targets to practice striking on. I use one myself, and although it certainly takes practice, it is a very simple weapon.

I liked the trailer for the new Los Angeles spin-off mostly because it seems to suggest the outbreak will occur on-screen, as opposed to someone waking up and the initial outbreak has already occurred. More like the Dawn of the Dead films vs. 28 Days Later (which Walking Dead basically stole for Rick's opening scene).
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ausher » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:58 pm

The L.A. trailer, was that Alan Aldas voice on the radio?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:16 pm

ausher wrote:The L.A. trailer, was that Alan Aldas voice on the radio?
Kinda reminded me of Harry Shearer.....but probably just sumdood.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Finale is Highest Rated Finale in Series History, Garnering 15.8 Million Viewers

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/0 ... rs/381342/

The special 90-minute season five finale of “The Walking Dead” last night was the highest-rated finale in series history, delivering 15.8 million viewers and 10.4 million adults 18-49. The episode capped the show’s strong fifth season with all 16 episodes ranking in the top 20 entertainment telecasts across all of television this broadcast season among adults 18-49. When including sports and specials, all 16 episodes of “The Walking Dead” season five rank in the top 50 telecasts across all of television among adults 18-49 – the first time a series has achieved this in cable history. With time-shifted playback added in, this season finale of “The Walking Dead” should exceed more than 20 million viewers and 14 million adults 18-49.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

shooterm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by shooterm » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:42 am

The trailer looks awesome. Just about every Zombie story falls apart once people become accustom to Zombie Apoc. The fear of the unknown is something we all connect to. The season finale was good but I felt like it should be how normal episodes run.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 pm

zero11010 wrote:This was not a great episode. It was all right. It wasn't particularly good.

I thought Rick took out Reg, not Porchdick.

I'm very curious to learn more about the whole W thing. They're doing a great job of stretching that out. We've gotten a little more info. I'm curious to learn if any of this info is true and more about the other members.

I don't have an issue with them not going into a lot of depth showing Porchdick being a doctor. There are more important things I'd rather be watching as the audience.

I'm curious if they're going to try and turn Morgan into Jesus from the graphic novels.

Yes, the walker trap in the trailers was poorly written.

Yes, Morgan helping the guys get out of the car was poorly written.
I was going to share my take on the season finale, but you've covered almost everything I had to say, pretty much point for point. So, uh, +1, ^^^This and all that.

But I didn't make the connection between Morgan and the Jesus character from the GN, and that's brilliant. A very intriguing possibility.

The two best scenes in this episode for me were Sasha lying down in the open grave with the dead walkers: that was an arresting visual. And Carol verbally emasculating porchdick. And then literally daring him to do anything about it. God, I love Carol.

Finally: following the episode I was thinking about how Norman Reedus was such a jack*ss warning everybody to have tissue ready for this season finale. And how no one important [appears] to have died. But then I realized he wasn't lying at all. I wept profusely about the prospect of even one more episode where Gabriel is still not dead. How many more ways can that defrocked preacher screw up and betray everyone around him? The guy's not even competent enough to successfully off himself.

If the show's producers had a random anvil fall out of the sky and kill him, I'd consider it a brilliant bit of writing simply because it would finally put Gabriel out of our collective misery.

Seriously, Daryl needs to have a negligent discharge of his crossbow or something.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:09 pm

Daryl and Aaron never did find that pasta maker. :(

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 pm

Boondock wrote:Daryl and Aaron never did find that pasta maker. :(
We gotta leave something for the next season premiere.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 pm

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 am

Robert Pattinson confirmed as Negan in 'The Walking Dead':

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/04/01/ ... ad-2826855

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:30 am

So Pattinson has seen "some of" the Walking Dead and his favorite season is Season 2. Okay then.

ETA: I just remembered the date. Got me.
Mostly not here anymore.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:11 pm

Ok some screen shots are available now.

How could Daryl not have been alerted to this. As I mentioned Daryl had used cans on string lines, so would have known that they meant some some of perimeter alarm at the least.

Cans on strings dangling all over.

Most of the doors didn't have the lock handles on them either, only the one did, and that's the one that they opened that sprung the trap.

Loading dock - One trailer facing wrong direction

Loading dock trailer without a latch:

Another few of the missing door latch:

Other truck with missing latch:

Trap wire trigger plainly visible.

This entire trap should have been fairly easy for Daryl to avoid. Or at least have noticed something wrong ahead of time. The only reason he didn't was because the writers said he didn't. But he was not behind the walls long enough I think to have his senses dulled this much. While the trap thing bugs me, I am not going to hate the show for not giving the character the proper observation skills he would have had. Over all the trap was sort of cool. It was a nice show and tell of how organized and scary the Wolves are.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Zombie Training Films”