"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Fletch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:26 am

Aye, but the governer was one bad dude with some hangers on in a community of vaguely normal people.

Negan's guys are basically all gonna be the bad kind of biker and outlaw.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 am

It's kinda unbelievable ( in a show about zombies haha ) that Maggie who's kinda bad ass and Carol who is become death, destroyer of worlds, could be captured without a rain of ruin and thunderous moan of anguish . Cut short.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:35 am

Yeah, it is, because as the rally point security force they should have stayed put and done their freaking jobs.

With no comms, they are lucky the assault team didn't shoot them by accident.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:01 am

kdalton wrote:Yeah, it is, because as the rally point security force they should have stayed put and done their freaking jobs.

With no comms, they are lucky the assault team didn't shoot them by accident.
I thought Maggie and Carol were the QRF, not RVS, and so when Maggie said lets go, they should have went, no time for talking or arguing when you're supposed to be on high alert. That's why they got captured. Carol.

One of my fav scenes of all time, I have no idea why.

You can always have more than one team making entry, you just have to make sure of your targets, comms or no comms. That's why I got a little worried when Glenn shot thru the closed armory door. I pictured Maggie coming up behind the other guys in the hallway and gettin' mowed down too.

IMO Rick's was the correct strategy and tactics for that target.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Fletch wrote:Aye, but the governor was one bad dude with some hangers on in a community of vaguely normal people.

Negan's guys are basically all gonna be the bad kind of biker and outlaw.

Look at the first Negan group team rick ran into. They had at least a minute of advanced warning that the tanker truck was coming down the road and instead of leaving two guys in the road to stop it and flanking the target they all just stayed bunched up and tight in one small group.

The Governors men did better than that.

Plus the gov would have had the guards in the roof instead of inside the doorway.

It looks like the worst thing Negans men have had to fight has been a few walkers.

Even the people at the Sanctuary, though untrained, were better organized and worked as a unit better.

I wish they would get off this motorcycle gang shit. 8 guys on hogs make far more noise than 8 guys in a school bus and the bus can carry far far more loot. As for saving fuel, 8 bikes burning1 gallon each for 40 miles is still burning 8 gallons per 40miles. The bus would equal that, if not better it, and still carry 2 tons of stuff.

As for the Hill Top being reduced to spears. Roman phalanx tactics and equipment would work great against masses of walkers.
Start making the equipment or finding its equivalent(riot shields and repointed machetes) and training the 'civilians' with it.
Between Abraham and Rosita they should be able to handle that.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:20 pm

I thought Maggie and Carol were the QRF, not RVS, and so when Maggie said lets go, they should have went, no time for talking or arguing when you're supposed to be on high alert. That's why they got captured. Carol.
The dialogue stated they were "guarding the perimeter" but from their stationing it looked more like they were guarding the rally point.

Same goes for Jesus when he went in. Sure, he saved Glenn and Health from the guy on the ground, but he was lucky he didn't take a bullet by accident. At least Gabriel and Tara remained outside on the perimeter until the end.

You can have more than one assault team, but I would argue that you work that out before hand so the initial entry team can be watching for them.

BTW, i just have to say, Gabriel is fast becoming one of my favorite characters now.
IMO Rick's was the correct strategy and tactics for that target.
Agreed.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm

MacAttack wrote:As for the Hill Top being reduced to spears. Roman phalanx tactics and equipment would work great against masses of walkers.
Start making the equipment or finding its equivalent(riot shields and repointed machetes) and training the 'civilians' with it.
I'll just quote myself from page 453. :crazy:

RickOShea wrote: I don't know.....those old Phalanx saw a lot of "battle pulses". The enemy would bang against them for a few minutes (or even just a few seconds) and then retreat, regroup, everyone would catch their breath, and then make another run at them.

The zombies are 100% "total war". They just keep coming and coming, no need to regroup or take a breather. And a walker doesn't care if you stab it in the neck or upper chest, much less if the spears or swords go under and hit its legs or crotch.....It's going to keep coming and coming, no let up. A decent sized herd would most likely tire them out and overwhelm them in short order.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:21 pm

This guy. :clap:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Tinderbox

Post by Tinderbox » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Has no one pondered the significance of the Polaroids Glenn was eyeing on the wall inside the Savior compound?

Kinda looked like a bunch of corpses with their heads completely bashed in by a...a baseball bat...or something.
"...the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire..."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:13 pm

Tinderbox wrote:Has no one pondered the significance of the Polaroids Glenn was eyeing on the wall inside the Savior compound?

Kinda looked like a bunch of corpses with their heads completely bashed in by a...a baseball bat...or something.
Welp, the comic readers know exactly what that's all about.

As for what has been said on the TV show so far, Jesus told #TeamShitMagnet: He killed one of us.....Rory.....He was sixteen years old. He beat him to death right in front of us.....He said we needed to understand, "right off the bat." :crazy:

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 am

RickOShea wrote:
MacAttack wrote:As for the Hill Top being reduced to spears. Roman phalanx tactics and equipment would work great against masses of walkers.

RickOShea wrote: I don't know.....those old Phalanx saw a lot of "battle pulses". The enemy would bang against them for a few minutes (or even just a few seconds) and then retreat, regroup, everyone would catch their breath, and then make another run at them.

The zombies are 100% "total war". They just keep coming and coming, no need to regroup or take a breather. And a walker doesn't care if you stab it in the neck or upper chest, much less if the spears or swords go under and hit its legs or crotch.....It's going to keep coming and coming, no let up. A decent sized herd would most likely tire them out and overwhelm them in short order.

Once they established the shield wall of the Phalanx why would they abandon the idea of hitting the walkers in the head?

The phalanx is a defensive formation that can be tailored to the situation and opponent. The phalanx is not just the square set you often see but that set can be reformed into a tight row that then encircles the walkers and then destroys them.

A bit over the top but... https://youtu.be/uREJILOby-c .
They will more than likely end up closer to these guys, https://youtu.be/tmKDQ4TWPC8

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:48 am

All well and good when fighting opponents who will see your phalanx and then see a bunch of their comrades die and then say 'well fuck that for a game of soldiers, I'm off'

Zombies? they tend to not give a crap.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:52 am

MacAttack wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Once they established the shield wall of the Phalanx why would they abandon the idea of hitting the walkers in the head?

The phalanx is a defensive formation that can be tailored to the situation and opponent. The phalanx is not just the square set you often see but that set can be reformed into a tight row that then encircles the walkers and then destroys them.

A bit over the top but... https://youtu.be/uREJILOby-c .
They will more than likely end up closer to these guys, https://youtu.be/tmKDQ4TWPC8
So which one are you going with, the first vid where it looked like there were twice as many "soldiers" as there were "zombies" (200 vs 100?) and they were running around everywhere.....or the second vid where they were all packed in tight and moving slowly so they could stay in that formation?

Remember, you were talking about Rosita & Abe training a couple dozen "civilians" to taken on "the masses"......so I'll just requote the most pertinent part of my previous quote:
RickOShea wrote: A decent sized herd would most likely tire them out and overwhelm them in short order.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:26 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. Excellent character development. As much as I would have liked Carol to go into avenging angle mode, I think it is logical for her, and every other member of team shit magnet, to be suffering from PTSD.

I was a big fan of Alicia Witt back in the day, great to see her give a fantastic performance.

This episode showed that the female Saviors were better organized and disciplined that what we've seen from the male members. I was also impressed with the Comm plan that Paula was working out on the drive to the abattoir. I got the impression that the guys were not on the same page as Paula.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:17 am

Wow not many comments for tonight's episode? Guess folks are processing what just happened.

I don't think Maggie will be leaving home base for awhile and Carol got broken. Intense episode, I liked it. The whole episode was powerful women in ZPAW, which I thought was rather awesome to see.

One question I have is was the woman interrogating Maggie actually asking for the location of their home because she wanted to raid it or join it? She was playing a "they are strict and mean to me here, just tell me where your from" thing on Maggie, could have been a ploy to get her to talk, or she really could have been trying to get away? Guess we wont know now.

I think the coffee grounds story effected Carol the most for some reason. The stuff before seemed just her typical pretend to be meek routine, but that coffee story seemed to surprise her.

What a bitter sweet way for Daryl to get his bike back.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:24 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:I was a big fan of Alicia Witt back in the day, great to see her give a fantastic performance.

This episode showed that the female Saviors were better organized and disciplined that what we've seen from the male members. I was also impressed with the Comm plan that Paula was working out on the drive to the abattoir. I got the impression that the guys were not on the same page as Paula.
Yes she did an awesome job in this episode.

For a while watching I entertained the crazy fantasy of the Team Shit Magnet women, and the Savior women saying fuck the dumb guys who always screw up and team up together to have a bad ass all girl team who actually does things smart and is organized as well as just being generally kick ass. But I knew that was not the route this episode would take. Too bad would have been a fun new direction.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:05 am

Seems like Morgan may have rubbed off on Carol...

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:08 am

Good episode. I also think Carol is going through PTSD or a crisis of conscience, maybe both, which has to make it all even more intense, frightening and exhausting for her.

Her strategy of holding back and presenting a fragile or weak front while she assesses the threat might be somewhat annoying to some (because she's used it several times), but it apparently works. I'm just not sure that was her intention this time. She seemed to be having a genuine panic attack and it helped boost the appearance of weakness to her captors. That was nicely acted, by the way.

When it was her life on the line versus killing, Carol held back, almost too late. But when Maggie was threatened, Carol barely hesitated before for pulling the trigger, which fits perfectly into what I imagine a group like theirs would do - protect their weak and vulnerable people, without mercy. From this point on, I agree that Maggie probably won't be making any runs and we'll probably see others doing the same thing as Carol did and unquestionably taking out anyone who presents a threat.

This episode definitely demonstrated how strong and determined, as well as brutal, Maggie and Carol have become, especially when things are critical. They're still willing to try and talk people down but when things go bad, they will do what they think needs to be done.

The Saviors did seem to have a well-planned communication strategy. Rick's team would do well to try and work out their own system, especially since they are going to be battling the other group for some time.

Peach

Peach

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 am

ineffableone wrote:
One question I have is was the woman interrogating Maggie actually asking for the location of their home because she wanted to raid it or join it? She was playing a "they are strict and mean to me here, just tell me where your from" thing on Maggie, could have been a ploy to get her to talk, or she really could have been trying to get away? Guess we wont know.
Welp, going by Chelle telling Maggie things like, "The way you survive is to produce for us.....You're not the good guys, you should know that.", the vibe I was getting was she wanted to get the location so that the Saviors could add more serfs to the Negandom. :ooh:

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:36 am

RickOShea wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
One question I have is was the woman interrogating Maggie actually asking for the location of their home because she wanted to raid it or join it? She was playing a "they are strict and mean to me here, just tell me where your from" thing on Maggie, could have been a ploy to get her to talk, or she really could have been trying to get away? Guess we wont know.
Welp, going by Chelle telling Maggie things like, "The way you survive is to produce for us.....You're not the good guys, you should know that.", the vibe I was getting was she wanted to get the location so that the Saviors could add more serfs to the Negandom. :ooh:
RickOShea, that's the way I interpreted Chelle's motives as well. Chelle may have allowed herself to feel some temporary pain at her own loss when she was talking to Maggie, but it seemed to me that she quickly snapped out of it and got to the business she was assigned, which was to extract information and make it clear that the only way Maggie's people would survive would be to work (produce) for Negan and the Saviors.

But, good or bad, Maggie's the one with the Carol. :crazy:

Peach

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 am

Irony Interlude

Lauren Cohan, a non-pregnant actress is playing Maggie a pregnant character, while the pregnant actress Alanna Masterson, had to be shot in baggy clothes and from peculiar angles (big platter in dish drain during the I love you scene) to play the non pregnant character Tara.

By the way Melissa McBride was looking fab on the couch. She cleans up real nice.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Irony Interlude

Lauren Cohan, a non-pregnant actress is playing Maggie a pregnant character, while the pregnant actress Alanna Masterson, had to be shot in baggy clothes and from peculiar angles (big platter in dish drain during the I love you scene) to play the non pregnant character Tara.
Sonequa Martin-Green was pegnant during all of the filming for season 5. But Bob's old BDU top and Tyreese's LC-1 gear hid it fairly well.

And now that her husband has a small reoccurring role on the show, it's becoming a regular ole family affair. :crazy:

Last edited by RickOShea on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CarolinaPeach

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Irony Interlude

By the way Melissa McBride was looking fab on the couch. She cleans up real nice.
Yes, she was really lovely.

Peach

Return to “Zombie Training Films”