"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

feanor

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by feanor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

The timing completely ruined a quite good episode. They robbed us of the experience because they didn't know where to put it. I watched seasons 1-3 last week while wife and kid were at her parent's house. Comparing those episodes with season 6 it is clear it's peaked and likely it's all down hill from here.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:46 pm

I think this episode , after last weeks cliffhanger from a marketing standpoint is genius and probably about the only place they could have placed such a slow, no advance to the storyline episode.
I bet I'm the only one who thought Eastman should have been wearing a long cloak or robe and talked like Yoda. "Precious all life is"" Leave or Stay Kill me you cannot "
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:07 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
OATMEAL HAMBURGER RECIPIES!!
You, sir, are a dirty fighter.
I respect that.
But now that I do know they exist, I still don't want to eat an oatmeal burger.

Edited to add: I liked Eastman but clearly he was created to only pass through the story. He apparently was maintaining his body weight (even if it was with oatmeal burgers). Was it after he starved the murderer to death that he decided all life was precious? I wonder if that may actually qualify him somewhat as the Diet Coke of Yoda - "Precious, all life is, except for this one murderer..."?

Peach

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:52 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote: Was it after he starved the murderer to death that he decided all life was precious? I wonder if that may actually qualify him somewhat as the Diet Coke of Yoda - "Precious, all life is, except for this one murderer..."?
What I say you do, what I have done you do not, hmm? Learn this from a pamphlet, I have.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:22 pm

One good thing about the Morgan episode, it reminded me of the Art of Peace book. A little pocket sized version like the one in the show would make for some good BOB reading, though maybe tempered with the Art of War, and Zen in the Art of Archery. Some good literature that can be read again and again and have some good philosophical as well as practical knowledge can be quite a good idea to add to a BOB.

I will have to look for a pocket sized copy of Art of War and Art of Peace. I already have a pocket copy of Zen in the Art of Archery that I keep in my pack.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:12 am

ineffableone wrote:I will have to look for a pocket sized copy of Art of War and Art of Peace. I already have a pocket copy of Zen in the Art of Archery that I keep in my pack.
Probably going to be hard to fine the Art of Peace for a while after that episode. Already out of stock on Amazon.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:21 am

raistlin wrote:
ineffableone wrote:I will have to look for a pocket sized copy of Art of War and Art of Peace. I already have a pocket copy of Zen in the Art of Archery that I keep in my pack.
Probably going to be hard to fine the Art of Peace for a while after that episode. Already out of stock on Amazon.
Pocket size on your Android good enough?

http://www.aikidoseiki.com/doc/aikido_t ... ce_eng.pdf
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Toxoph

Post by Toxoph » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 am

Great episode! It makes me not as critical of Morgan as before whether I agree with what he does or not. I enjoy learning more about the characters because, afterall, that is why I watch the show, not to see zombie blood. I wonder if some of the unhappy people skip to the last page of a book they are reading.
I prep, therefore I am

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:45 am

Stercutus wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Why didn't Eastman think of that? He could have transferred a digital version to Morgan's smartphone ;)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

feanor

Post by feanor » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 am

flybynight wrote:I think this episode , after last weeks cliffhanger from a marketing standpoint is genius and probably about the only place they could have placed such a slow, no advance to the storyline episode.
I bet I'm the only one who thought Eastman should have been wearing a long cloak or robe and talked like Yoda. "Precious all life is"" Leave or Stay Kill me you cannot "
Seems to me it would only be genius marketing if the next episode will lose loads of viewers and this postponed it a week. Let's hope this isn't the case.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:12 am

Stercutus wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Thanks, that will get me by till I can pick up a hard copy.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:37 pm

raistlin wrote:
I am still trying to figure out where the Aikido was in that episode. I have done the art for over a decade now and I have never used a jo (the staff used in Aikido, shorter then a bo by a couple feet) in the manner they portray on the show.

I guess it is the same thing as making headshots with AR's with no rear sight and the governor shooting an Aug with an eye patch on his right eye.

This is how Aikido uses the jo, you will notice they weapon is held either like a sword or a rifle with a bayonet. Ueshiba apparently killed a lot of Russians with the bayonet during the Russo-Japanese war.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 am

I guess it is the same thing as making headshots with AR's with no rear sight and the governor shooting an Aug with an eye patch on his right eye.
In all fairness he said he could see perfectly fine through the patch.
You go over and under
I go through

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 am

Stercutus wrote: In all fairness he said he could see perfectly fine through the patch.
Yes! Perhaps the reason he failed to survive was because he was afraid to wear two patches.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Totally won the Internet, ausher. :clap:

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:59 pm

I have been laughing since I read "In all fairness..." this morning. There is some brilliant humor here.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:24 pm

flybynight wrote:I think this episode , after last weeks cliffhanger from a marketing standpoint is genius and probably about the only place they could have placed such a slow, no advance to the storyline episode.
I bet I'm the only one who thought Eastman should have been wearing a long cloak or robe .... "
He was wearing a bathrobe when he first bonked Morgan on the noggin.
Aikibiker wrote: I am still trying to figure out where the Aikido was in that episode. I have done the art for over a decade now and I have never used a jo (the staff used in Aikido, shorter then a bo by a couple feet) in the manner they portray on the show

This is how Aikido uses the jo, you will notice they weapon is held either like a sword or a rifle with a bayonet. Ueshiba apparently killed a lot of Russians with the bayonet during the Russo-Japanese
Very graceful, but why don't the three opponents attack at the same time and kick his ass. Is it some sort of Asian turn system based on height, with shortest going first?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:56 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
I bet I'm the only one who thought Eastman should have been wearing a long cloak or robe .... "
Aikibiker wrote: I am still trying to figure out where the Aikido was in that episode. I have done the art for over a decade now and I have never used a jo (the staff used in Aikido, shorter then a bo by a couple feet) in the manner they portray on the show

This is how Aikido uses the jo, you will notice they weapon is held either like a sword or a rifle with a bayonet. Ueshiba apparently killed a lot of Russians with the bayonet during the Russo-Japanese
Very graceful, but why don't the three opponents attack at the same time and kick his ass. Is it some sort of Asian turn system based on height, with shortest going first?

We actually practice with multiple attackers all at once. The plan for the defender is always to move so the attackers get in each other's way. It is easy to get over whelmed though.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:

They have to roll for initiative first. I believe Hobbits get a bonus.
You go over and under
I go through

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:03 am

I guess it is a testament to the popularity of Glenn that so many people cling to feeble reeds of hope. But I think it's pretty clear Glenn is dead. And he was completely consumed just like Lori was, meaning no trace left behind. So Maggie will never know whether Glenn is really dead or still alive somewhere.

That's a pretty horrible fate. What makes it even worse is Glenn died for the sake of that worthless Alexandrian. In fact if Glenn hadn't been babysitting that waste of space, I think Glenn could have escaped.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:41 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:I guess it is a testament to the popularity of Glenn that so many people cling to feeble reeds of hope. But I think it's pretty clear Glenn is dead.
While his popularity might have something to do with it, it is also that there is sufficient reason to question if he was indeed killed.

For example, the way Nicks body fell on top of his. The entrails the zombies were eating not accurate to the position of where they would be in Glenn. Glenn having escaped having zombies on top of him before. The WD having a reputation of making you think a character might have died, but having them escape.

The TD not posting Glenn on the "in memorium" list. Plus the actor who plays Glen being spotted on set in costume in latter filming as well as the actor just renewing his contract to continue on the WD.

Actually the likelihood of Glenn being dead is pretty low considering the weight of evidence against him being killed off. I have not even been actively searching for this info on why Glenn likely is not dead. It just is popping up everywhere. While behind the scenes stuff is not part of the story line, it is fairly overwhelming evidence to say Glenn is not dead.

Now should he have been ripped to shreds and eaten, yes. Though he also shouldn't have ended up in that situation, he is smarter than that. Even if he had ended up in that ally, he would have been smart enough to go up that fire escape rather than rattle the fence until he had no options left. That is a pretty hopeless situation he landed in but it was obvious it was a corner the writers painted him into rather than being true to Glenn's character. And while it seems he was down for the count, and getting gobbled up, the camera angles and set up were just too weird and off to be trusted as true.

It seems pretty obvious that the writers are going to have him get out of it somehow. Though I hope they actually explain it rather then what the did last time.

I sort of feel that they let him slip the clutches of death once already having him escape the zombies Nick left on top of him in the woods. Which was never explained how Glenn got out of that BTW, everyone thought he was dead then too. I feel a bit cheated that they never explained that. So this time they better do a decent job explaining how Glenn gets out of such a hopeless situation.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:19 pm

I think in fact the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of dead Glenn. And his earlier 'escape' is actually supporting proof.

His earlier escape from the two zombies after being shot was an enormous tease from the producers. And why were the producers teasing? Because Glenn was killed in the comic at a vaguely similar point in the story timeline.

Glenn still being on set means nothing about his survival. The tease from the Talking Dead was completely consistent with Glenn only showing up in flashbacks from this point on.

And there is the matter of breaking faith with the audience. The earlier tease of Glenn supposed demise had the camera cut away. The current scene showed Glenn screaming in pain as entrails are torn free, a long lingering death scene which is standard fare when a major character is killed in The Walking Dead.

If by some chance Glenn actually lives, it will be breaking faith with the audience, because survival after what they showed would be utterly unbelievable.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:44 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:I think in fact the evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of dead Glenn.
We will see soon, him on set in costume and signing a new contract is pretty convincing he is doing more than flashbacks. Only time will tell however.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Zombie Training Films”