"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
CarolinaPeach
* * *
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.
Location: The South, y'all

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by CarolinaPeach » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Cherokee John wrote:I'm enjoying reading the phalanx and "testudo" style offense theories-but did you guys ever think who the hell you would get to man this phalanx?

The average cubicle clown doesn't pick up anything heavier than a 32oz drink all day. Who's to train them how to move as a unit and strike and slash?

You can't drop out of the phalanx line in mid combat because you have a cramp or uniform adjustment...
Personally, when faced with a one of the giant swarms/herds/whatevers, I wouldn't think the phalanx/shield line would be the best bet in the long run for reasons already mentioned. But, it would be a handy maneuver to be able to use when traveling on foot for longer distances and a smaller group was encountered. If there was no way to evade then being able to effectively defend, protect someone who was sick or injured, and destroy with the stabby shield line (sorry, I like that term) and then be able to move on would be helpful.

Besides, I think at this point in TWD universe, those average cubicle clowns have either hardened up and learned to survive (or told a big ol' lie to join up with a group), or they're batting for the other team, so to speak. :clownshoes:

Peach

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ineffableone » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:
Cherokee John wrote:I'm enjoying reading the phalanx and "testudo" style offense theories-but did you guys ever think who the hell you would get to man this phalanx?

The average cubicle clown doesn't pick up anything heavier than a 32oz drink all day. Who's to train them how to move as a unit and strike and slash?

You can't drop out of the phalanx line in mid combat because you have a cramp or uniform adjustment...
Personally, when faced with a one of the giant swarms/herds/whatevers, I wouldn't think the phalanx/shield line would be the best bet in the long run for reasons already mentioned. But, it would be a handy maneuver to be able to use when traveling on foot for longer distances and a smaller group was encountered. If there was no way to evade then being able to effectively defend, protect someone who was sick or injured, and destroy with the stabby shield line (sorry, I like that term) and then be able to move on would be helpful.

Besides, I think at this point in TWD universe, those average cubicle clowns have either hardened up and learned to survive (or told a big ol' lie to join up with a group), or they're batting for the other team, so to speak. :clownshoes:

Peach
1,000's of walkers, or even just 100's and a phalanx shield wall isn't going to do much good. Just the shear weight of the zombies will defeat you if you try and make a stand against that. 10 to 40 walkers, it could be doable and would likely be a good strategy to use when dealing with medium/large groups of walkers under 50. 50 to 100 might be doable with multiple groups in separate phalanx formations.

Here are some images of shield and spear battle formations

Image

Image

You don't even need super sophisticated shields since walkers aren't using weapons. Some plywood with handles could create a decent barrier and a few folks with spear like poles behind the shield wall to poke zombie brains could really be effective. Add in some archers behind the shield wall to get some distance and you have a pretty effective defense.

But as always when asking why the WD team doesn't do the things we think would be smart, the answer comes back to "if things were too easy it would make for a boring show".
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
gunsandrockets
* * *
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead
Location: Southern California

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Maeklos wrote:
RickOShea wrote: A decent sized herd would most likely tire them out and overwhelm them in short order.
True, which is why it's all about picking your battles. Fronting a shield wall would be a lot more effective than just having a bunch of guys with knives trying to stab moving targets through the skull bone while they're trying to bite you. Of course, both skull and flesh in TWD seem to have the resistance of paper. If a zombie so much as touches someone with its teeth, that person explodes like an overfilled water balloon full of blood. And people can shove a knife, stake, or even blunt object through the skull of a zombie despite the fact that the skull is the thickest, hardest bone in the body, and in most cases is at least as hard as steel.
Me personally, I'd want to stay light & nimble, and evade most of the time. The ratio is 5000 zombies per human, so I'd only go hands-on only when there was no other option.....and try to survive long enough for the hoards to eventually rot away.

Besides a good carbine and a pistol, I'd probably run with an aluminum bat and something like an updated Rondel dagger.


Image

Image
A bayonet is not only fairly a common weapon in America, but also a very practical weapon for the world of TWD. Whether it is some more elderly form like a spike bayonet or more a more modern form of bayonet such as a general purpose combat knife.

A Chinese SKS with its folding mount spike bayonet is an excellent weapon for this situation.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

User avatar
Maeklos
* * * * *
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Maeklos » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:28 pm

gunsandrockets wrote: A bayonet is not only fairly a common weapon in America, but also a very practical weapon for the world of TWD. Whether it is some more elderly form like a spike bayonet or more a more modern form of bayonet such as a general purpose combat knife.

A Chinese SKS with its folding mount spike bayonet is an excellent weapon for this situation.
Makes me wonder why TWD folks only seem to use military-grade weapons for their longarms. Don't see any SKS's, Mosin-Nagants, M1 Garands, and so on. Lots of folks in real life have various sorts of older milsurp weapons, as well as hunting rifles, shotguns, etc, even if they're sitting somewhere gathering dust.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9128
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:58 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:A bayonet is not only fairly a common weapon in America, but also a very practical weapon for the world of TWD. Whether it is some more elderly form like a spike bayonet or more a more modern form of bayonet such as a general purpose combat knife.

A Chinese SKS with its folding mount spike bayonet is an excellent weapon for this situation.
A while back, I saw where sumdood on ebay was selling Rondel-type daggers that he'd made from SKS spike bayonets:



Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
CarolinaPeach
* * *
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.
Location: The South, y'all

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by CarolinaPeach » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:19 pm

ineffableone wrote:
CarolinaPeach wrote:
Cherokee John wrote:I'm enjoying reading the phalanx and "testudo" style offense theories-but did you guys ever think who the hell you would get to man this phalanx?

The average cubicle clown doesn't pick up anything heavier than a 32oz drink all day. Who's to train them how to move as a unit and strike and slash?

You can't drop out of the phalanx line in mid combat because you have a cramp or uniform adjustment...
Personally, when faced with a one of the giant swarms/herds/whatevers, I wouldn't think the phalanx/shield line would be the best bet in the long run for reasons already mentioned. But, it would be a handy maneuver to be able to use when traveling on foot for longer distances and a smaller group was encountered. If there was no way to evade then being able to effectively defend, protect someone who was sick or injured, and destroy with the stabby shield line (sorry, I like that term) and then be able to move on would be helpful.

Besides, I think at this point in TWD universe, those average cubicle clowns have either hardened up and learned to survive (or told a big ol' lie to join up with a group), or they're batting for the other team, so to speak. :clownshoes:

Peach
1,000's of walkers, or even just 100's and a phalanx shield wall isn't going to do much good. Just the shear weight of the zombies will defeat you if you try and make a stand against that. 10 to 40 walkers, it could be doable and would likely be a good strategy to use when dealing with medium/large groups of walkers under 50. 50 to 100 might be doable with multiple groups in separate phalanx formations.

You don't even need super sophisticated shields since walkers aren't using weapons. Some plywood with handles could create a decent barrier and a few folks with spear like poles behind the shield wall to poke zombie brains could really be effective. Add in some archers behind the shield wall to get some distance and you have a pretty effective defense.

But as always when asking why the WD team doesn't do the things we think would be smart, the answer comes back to "if things were too easy it would make for a boring show".
Yep, definitely agree.

Peach

User avatar
DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 1649
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:25 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero
Location: Rio Rancho, NM

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by DJH » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Maeklos wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote:Makes me wonder why TWD folks only seem to use military-grade weapons for their longarms. Don't see any SKS's, Mosin-Nagants, M1 Garands, and so on. Lots of folks in real life have various sorts of older milsurp weapons, as well as hunting rifles, shotguns, etc, even if they're sitting somewhere gathering dust.
Oh we've had a Mosin moment. lol

Image
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Fletch
* * * *
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:12 am
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:44 am

Maeklos wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote: A bayonet is not only fairly a common weapon in America, but also a very practical weapon for the world of TWD. Whether it is some more elderly form like a spike bayonet or more a more modern form of bayonet such as a general purpose combat knife.

A Chinese SKS with its folding mount spike bayonet is an excellent weapon for this situation.
Makes me wonder why TWD folks only seem to use military-grade weapons for their longarms. Don't see any SKS's, Mosin-Nagants, M1 Garands, and so on. Lots of folks in real life have various sorts of older milsurp weapons, as well as hunting rifles, shotguns, etc, even if they're sitting somewhere gathering dust.

Perhaps it's easier to carry one type of ammunition instead of several? I dunno I don't firearm
Image
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

User avatar
Maeklos
* * * * *
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Maeklos » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Easier to carry one type of ammunition for a person, but across a group it means that you're having to share one type of ammunition among everyone. A broader range of weapons means you have more potential ammunition to use.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

User avatar
jor-el
* * * * *
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Watching over Metropolis

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by jor-el » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:31 pm

DJH wrote:
Maeklos wrote:
gunsandrockets wrote:Makes me wonder why TWD folks only seem to use military-grade weapons for their longarms. Don't see any SKS's, Mosin-Nagants, M1 Garands, and so on. Lots of folks in real life have various sorts of older milsurp weapons, as well as hunting rifles, shotguns, etc, even if they're sitting somewhere gathering dust.
Oh we've had a Mosin moment. lol

Image
More than one. S05E05 "Self Help".
Image
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

User avatar
SeerSavant
* * * * *
Posts: 3607
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Just got caught back up....

Two things I think are going to reflect the rest of the season....

Rick's last line of Sunday's Ep and Carol's sudden change in behavior...
Image

I was very worried that the Alexandria storyline would kinda flatten out into a kind of series rut (kinda like much of Hershel's Farm did) but I am probably (happily) going to be mistaken.

I feel like I'm going to be seeing Carol making maps/weak points, Carl/Sasha/Glenn etc making tentative allies while Daryl draws as much attention to himself as possible...

I wouldn't be surprised if this was something put into play from the first night inside the walls...
Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9128
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:21 pm

SeerSavant wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this was something put into play from the first night inside the walls...
I don't think the whole group is involved, but I definitely think that Rick, Carol, and Daryl may be cooking something up......Maybe we'll get the "dinner party" this next episode.



Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Maeklos
* * * * *
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Maeklos » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:03 am

I think Rick & Co. are setting up a counter for whatever might come their way. They're willing to give Alexandria a shot, but they're definitely not trusting yet. So they're laying plans as a "just in case" measure. We'll see what happens in two more days!
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

User avatar
SeerSavant
* * * * *
Posts: 3607
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by SeerSavant » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:11 am

For the moment (and it's been a while since I read the graphic novels) I think I'm most excited to see how they portray Jesus.


Image
Image

User avatar
jor-el
* * * * *
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Watching over Metropolis

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by jor-el » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:08 pm

SeerSavant wrote:For the moment (and it's been a while since I read the graphic novels) I think I'm most excited to see how they portray Jesus.


Image
They found Alexandria before meeting Jesus, right?
I'm curious if Deanna makes the reveal about other survivor communities not running "Lord of the flies" rules.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9128
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:37 pm

I think Aaron and Daryl will become the Walking Dead's version of Felix Unger and Oscar Madison....and they will eventually get their own show. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
CarolinaPeach
* * *
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:49 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.
Location: The South, y'all

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:15 pm

RickOShea wrote:I think Aaron and Daryl will become the Walking Dead's version of Felix Unger and Oscar Madison....and they will eventually get their own show. Image
The first time Aaron makes that nasal sinus honk noise, Darryl's liable to oops-shoot him with the crossbow. :crazy:

Peach

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9128
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:24 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:
RickOShea wrote:I think Aaron and Daryl will become the Walking Dead's version of Felix Unger and Oscar Madison....and they will eventually get their own show. Image
The first time Aaron makes that nasal sinus honk noise, Darryl's liable to oops-shoot him with the crossbow. :crazy:

Peach
Image









:rofl:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Akin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:38 pm

SeerSavant wrote:For the moment (and it's been a while since I read the graphic novels) I think I'm most excited to see how they portray Jesus.


Image
Wasn't Jesus the one who recruited them? I was thinking he'd been replaced by Aaron...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

User avatar
jor-el
* * * * *
Posts: 5208
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Watching over Metropolis

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by jor-el » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Double-checked the Wiki. Jesus is from Hilltop. Haven't met yet.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

User avatar
Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1191
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:54 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Akin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm

jor-el wrote:Double-checked the Wiki. Jesus is from Hilltop. Haven't met yet.
Ahh.

Hard to keep track sometimes...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

User avatar
SeerSavant
* * * * *
Posts: 3607
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by SeerSavant » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Big cast intros coming up (to me..) Jesus, Negan, and Ezekial (and his pet cat), but I'd really like to see a few more "off the books" characters make appearances, or perhaps have characters give different portrayals from their GN characters... Like Dwight perhaps...

As long as they don't pull a damned "Otis" again...

Spoilers ahead.... for graphic, not tv show...



Also... I don't really think Glenn and "Lucille" will meet as in the comic... Something tells me that someone else will take that meeting...

Unless something changes, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Abraham gets it instead of Glenn... I mean, in the GN, it came across as a brutal and pointless death, but there was also a completely pointless (and sudden) end of Abraham's character... Seems like one would be enough... but who knows...


Edit... I may be completely off... part of me hates the idea of Glenn off the show, but if Maggie witnesses it... In the GN she kinda disappears at Hilltop, but the tv version would probably go a bit batshit... And Hilltop always needed better leadership... who knows....
Image

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3603
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ineffableone » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 pm

SeerSavant, you should really consider editing your comment to make the spoilers in a smaller size and white so it is easier for folks who don't want to read it to pass over without seeing too much.

example if you don't want someone to see something write it like this while still visible, it is harder to accidentally read it.

I don't have a problem with your comment as I have already read GN stuff your mentioning. But some folks might not take kindly to stumbling onto some of the spoilers.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
Paladin1
* * * * *
Posts: 4451
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:18 pm

I, for one, would appreciate leaving the spoilers out. The last 10 posts or so are getting too close. I haven't read the comics and am not planning too. I believe that there is already a thread for those who wish to talk about the comics and all the things to come. Perhaps there would be a better place to discuss what characters are going to die and how, or post pics and descriptions of characters not introduced yet.

Insofar as tonight's episode, I think while Team Rick may be trying to adjust, some are doing much better than others. And I think some have no intention of fitting in.

I think Sasha is on her way out, thought she might be going down tonight and would be the 'surprise' guest on TD.

Carol is awesome-that is all I have to say about that.

Not sure I understand the stealing guns part. If SHTF can't they just go get their guns? I mean even if they need them for the residents, Rick is armed, and they could just take them back? Why steal others?
WWSD?

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Training Films”