"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:29 pm

:lol:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:58 pm

majorhavoc wrote:It's metaphorical. They want to show Rick is becoming less and less civilized as he crosses one moral boundary after another.

Does a unkempt, out of control beard strictly speaking make sense? No.

Does it further the narrative requirements of the show? Yes.

If you look at early production stills from season one and compare it to his appearance now, it's pretty shocking.

They have done a good job with that. Last week I loaded up S1EP1 just to check the differences.

Don't just look at the stills though. Not just appearances have changed. The haunted look in the eyes, the hunched over posture, the almost shambling walk, the lack of clear purpose of action all would indicate deep psychological trauma. At this point I would say they are well beyond displaying combat PTSD symptoms and more towards concentration camp survivors. They aren't there yet but it is moving that way.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:30 pm

Stercutus wrote: ... all would indicate deep psychological trauma.
Excellent insight.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:50 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:03 pm

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Welp, according to the interwebz, the name of the spin-off/companion series will be "Fear The Walking Dead". :v: :v: :v:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s135/the-w ... inoff.html

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Fear the Walking Dead?

Sorry, it's just... blah....

Why does Walking Dead even have to be in the title... This kinda makes it feel like a bit of a Romero film, and with the Walking Dead's name (especially by GN's definition) refers to the survivors, it makes the title even more... wrong.

Also, it marks this show as a definite spin off...

Torchwood... Millennium...Frasier... Pinky and the Brain... Hell, Laverne and Shirley... ALL able to stand on their own away from the show they spun off of... and their names reflect this...

It's like they don't think this show will stand on it's own...

I'm not gonna beat up the show before I've had a dozen episodes in but I hope this is only a working title...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:14 pm

In a word: branding.

Not that I don't agree.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:27 pm

It could be worse. If it was on CBS, we probably get 'The Walking Dead:LA'.

Maybe it's just me, but if we're going to get a spin off, I'd like to see it set outside of the US.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:25 pm

The First 2 Minutes of the Mid-Season Premiere: The Walking Dead: Season 5:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 pm

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:52 pm

SeerSavant wrote:Also, it marks this show as a definite spin off...

Torchwood... Millennium...Frasier... Pinky and the Brain... Hell, Laverne and Shirley... ALL able to stand on their own away from the show they spun off of... and their names reflect this...
What did Millennium spin off from?

Man, I haven't thought about that show in YEARS and none of the torrent sites have it :(

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Must ... resist ... O'Shea's preview videos ...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:09 pm

williaty wrote:
SeerSavant wrote:Also, it marks this show as a definite spin off...

What did Millennium spin off from?

Man, I haven't thought about that show in YEARS and none of the torrent sites have it :(
It was a spin off from X-Files.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:23 pm

ineffableone wrote:It was a spin off from X-Files.
Huh, didn't really feel like it. X-files wasn't quite as Illuminati/NWO as Millenium felt.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:02 pm

williaty wrote:
ineffableone wrote:It was a spin off from X-Files.
Huh, didn't really feel like it. X-files wasn't quite as Illuminati/NWO as Millenium felt.
It occupied the same universe and the Millennium final episode was actually the X files episode titled Millennium.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

SeerSavant
28 Days Later

Post by SeerSavant » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Millennium had a distinct "feel" that borrowed heavily from the XFiles musical and visual clues, but the show had a VERY dark mood attached to it...

One reviewer said that the show was among the best he had seen that season but had the distinct impression that the show wanted to "hurt him"... That always stuck with me...

The show is very dark at times, but other times it hits a level that even the X Files struggled to achieve...

I mean, i loved the X Files, but rewatch Millenium almost yearly and if I had to chose, Millenium would win, hands down.

Two episodes stand out to me, Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense (same guy from X Files Jose Chung's from Outer Space episode) which gave the same surreal outside look at the characters but ended on a far more serious note,

and Somehow Satan Got Behind Me... which is actually unusual in that it discards the normal non supernatural format (I love the fact that Millenium tends to leave the majority of it's episodes rooted firmly in psychosis and emotional/mental disease instead of supernatural monsters and curses that XFiles constantly used) and for once, Millenium decided to simply drop in an episode that matter of factly showed four demons "talking shop" in a late night donut shop...

In fact, let me just leave a synopsis on Somehow Satan Got Behind Me;

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Synopsis from Wiki, comments in italics are mine.

Four elderly men meet for coffee late at night. The fourth to arrive is hostile to the waiter, who secretly urinates in the man's coffee. The man, Abum (Dick Bakalyan), realizes this, and the group share a laugh over it, during which they are revealed to actually be demons. One of them, Blurk (Bill Macy), complains that there are no strong personalities in this century. He tells a story of Perry, a man he met hitch-hiking, who he molded into a serial killer over encouraging conversations. Perry sought to emulate Johnny Mack Potter, the country's most prolific killer, and to break his record number of murders. As Perry drew level with Potter's figure, Blurk grew bored accompanying him on the "mundane" murders of prostitutes and vagrants. Blurk gave an anonymous tip to the police that leads to Perry's arrest; one of the men present at the arrest—offender profiler Frank Black (Lance Henriksen)—seems to see through Blurk's human disguise. In prison, Perry is murdered by his cellmate Johnny Mack Potter, reclaiming his record.

At one point, Blurk convinces Perry to kidnap a satanist... who, black goth clothes is screaming "SAVE ME SATAN!!!" Transition to the four guys/demons laughing... I couldn't stop laughing both at the situation, and the show's self awareness at the same time..

Abum tells another story, which he believes shows that mankind no longer needs demonic temptation to be damned. Abum followed an everyman figure called Brock, watching his grindingly repetitive life. Brock visited a strip club often but without joy, which led Abum to believe he no longer took pleasure from sinning. One day, Abum added an additional irritation to Brock's life, posing as a traffic warden and giving him a ticket. This was enough to drive Brock to suicide. However, during this time, Abum also encountered Black, who again saw his demonic nature.

This one was pretty brilliant, the everyday routine deadening this guy's life, and the philisophical arguments the demons had hold very real debate potential, and it's not like the guy gives up on life and jumps... He just realizes that he gave up on life a long long time ago and finally ends it... Should be depressing (and it is) but in a rather whimsical way...

Greb (Alex Diakun) shares his tale, of a television censor called Waylon Figgleif. Figgleif's overzealous approach to censorship leads Greb to try pushing his limits. Greb assumed the form of a small demonic baby and reveals himself to Figgleif, who breaks down and starts attempting to censor everyday life. Greb repeats this trick, and encourages Figgleif to go on a killing spree—Figgleif takes a gun, bursts onto the taping of a science-fiction show about alien abduction, and kills several actors. Greb's methods and effectiveness are dismissed until he reveals the story's epigram. Figgleif's spree was caught on camera, and broadcast by another network as a found footage special. However, Greb also notes that he too was spotted by Black during this.

This one was played mostly for laughs, as well as a very strong dig at the censors (which gave Millenium a lot of headaches for the overall tone of many of the episodes, kinda like a big F U to the standards and practices attempts to censor the show) and also gives a nice spoof of the X files in the "sci fi show" that they show, down to the Mulder and Skully look alikes who the Censor brutally shoots down during his breakdown...

The fourth devil, Toby (Wally Dalton), is convinced that Black really does know that they are demons. Toby also recounts his story, in which he begins to feel ennui at his failure to damn humans for some time. He meets and courts an aging stripper, Sally, who falls in love with him. Their relationship blossomed, despite her having seen his true demonic form. One day Toby leads her to believe he is about to propose to her, before instead curtly insulting and breaking up with her. He later visited her home to find police investigating her suicide—a successful damnation. However, he also encounters Black, who sees his true nature. Instead of recoiling or reacting, Black simply tells Toby that he sees how lonely he must be. Toby's story affects all the gathered demons, who realize how lonely they really are. As they get up to leave, Abum praises the shop's coffee and briefly reveals his true form to the waiter.

Overall, this is one of the more lightweight episodes in tone, but is one example of the ways they tried to experiment with the format... the supernatural element was a departure from the normal element as the show (disturbing imagery aside) stayed pretty far away from the monster of the week format and set it's horrors firmly in the human mental and psychological condition... which made the show far more disturbing for me.

Millennium is one of those shows that I simply decided to buy (only 3 seasons, IMHO, worth the cash)... But then again, I'm a HUGE fan of Lance Henrickson as well, and Millenium stands (for me) as some of the best work that he has done in his career...

Love it and totally recommend.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:11 pm

Shirewilt..... :crazy:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:26 pm

That damn "Highlander" rule with black men on the show is an ass kicker.
You go over and under
I go through

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:08 pm

Oh No! Poor Tyrese!
Not only seeing dead people but he is hearing Beth is singing!!!
Worse than that, I am hearing Beth sing!

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Two things:

1.) Stop killing all the black dudes.

2.) Don't like the "I see dead people" crap. He got bit, he's not doing acid.

I really hope the show doesn't start getting weird and jump the shark.
WWSD?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Paladin1 wrote:Two things:

1.) Stop killing all the black dudes.

2.) Don't like the "I see dead people" crap. He got bit, he's not doing acid.

I really hope the show doesn't start getting weird and jump the shark.
:rofl:

It is a show about the ZPAW they jumped the shark in the first ten minutes.
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:24 pm

Last edited by RickOShea on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 am

Clues & foreshadowing....... Or random stuff-n-thangs?

- Glenn and the baseball bat
- "Wolves not far" graffiti on the wall in the subdivision
- The armless torsos in the back of the truck that looked like they had a "W" carved into their foreheads

:ooh:

Return to “Zombie Training Films”