"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14379
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by dogbane » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am

Jaeger wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rail_vehicle

Image

Forget a hand-car. At a major rail junction there are bound to be plenty of road-rail maintenance trucks. It would pretty much be the perfect vehicle for the ZPAW. You could drive down rail lines free of pile-ups of cars, and if you encountered rail cars on the track you raise the steel wheels and drive like a regular 4WD truck... I've talked about it with my buddy, who is a train controller in Omaha for UP, and if you want to get from point A to point B when everything is down there is really no better way than to take a rail line in a road-rail vehicle. With no trains running you're also much less likely to get ambushed driving down a rail line than you would be on a road. People just don't think about it.

With two or three road-rail trucks you could put those signs up along all major lines in days.
That is cool. I'm going to work that into my novel.
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2691
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:41 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:Anyone else face/palm on the "Of Mice and Men" moment?
Yup. That was almost straight out of the Steinbeck playbook.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9072
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 am

ausher wrote:Yet no one Woodbury had any problems with lizzie.....
Apparently being in Ricks group is traumatizing for kids... Carl was on the path of being screwed up in the head....
I can't remember which, but the Samuels family were part of either the "Decatur" group or the "Jacksonville" group that were allowed into the prison.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Bearcat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:11 am

dogbane wrote:Is not watching The Talking Dead like some kind of hipster-cool thing? :wink:

Or is it more of an "It's past my bedtime because I'm old" kind of thing?
No, I just don't need the equivalent of an after action report or book club discussion to tell me how to interpret the episode or messages conveyed. That's what I have you guys for!
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Bearcat wrote: I don't watch the talking dead. I don't see a point to it. No other show on television has an after thought analysis of each episode. The premise seems a little pompous in nature to me.
What about Falling Skies? Wil Wheaton hosted that show.
I didn't know there was one, but I'm not really a fan of falling skies either.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...
Location: neia

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ausher » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:22 am

RickOShea wrote:
ausher wrote:Yet no one Woodbury had any problems with lizzie.....
Apparently being in Ricks group is traumatizing for kids... Carl was on the path of being screwed up in the head....
I can't remember which, but the Samuels family were part of either the "Decatur" group or the "Jacksonville" group that were allowed into the prison.
Oops. My mistake. .. wherever her and sis,and dad was from. She obviously wasn't messed up till the arrival of the prison other wise her dad probably would of kept closer tabs on her and sister. Or at least let the rest of the group know his daughter has trouble distinguishing walkers and people. .. the trip they had to make to get to the prison had to be rough and her dad and group had to let the kids know walkers are bad and need to be killed.


The mice and men may be a rip off, but im sure carol either saw the movie or read the book and probably used that to justify doing what she had to do. Unless of mice and men didn't exist in this world. .. but fictional things in our world and theirs did exist, the game portal glen mentioned to maggie, boondock saints poster ect....

Done ramblimg nonsense. ....

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9072
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 am

Meh, everything had been done over and over again, ad nauseam.

I'll rewatch a movie sometimes with the "Director's commentary" turned on. You always hear stuff like "here's the Jaws moment in our movie, where our protagonist finally gets a good look at his nemesis". Or, "Here's our Highlander moment where our Hero just strides through the battlefield looking for the biggest, baddest foe to fight". Joss Weedon's commentary on The Avengers was almost a constant stream of how he took "this scene" from "this movie", and so on.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 am

Boondock wrote:
Gingerbread Man wrote:Anyone else face/palm on the "Of Mice and Men" moment?
Yup. That was almost straight out of the Steinbeck playbook.
Yeah, taking someone out back has been done and done and done but it was almost verbatium. Bugged me. Even the you're mad aren't you and I did a bad thing. I was thinking, at least, change the wording. Then look at the flowers? It was just like look at the farm and the rabbits.

"Of Mice and Men" was awesome, don't delude it with cheapness. ***Pours out a 40 for Lenny***
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 8001
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Location: Watching the Border in Flint, Mich.
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:54 am

dogbane wrote:
Jaeger wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rail_vehicle

Image

Forget a hand-car. At a major rail junction there are bound to be plenty of road-rail maintenance trucks. It would pretty much be the perfect vehicle for the ZPAW. You could drive down rail lines free of pile-ups of cars, and if you encountered rail cars on the track you raise the steel wheels and drive like a regular 4WD truck... I've talked about it with my buddy, who is a train controller in Omaha for UP, and if you want to get from point A to point B when everything is down there is really no better way than to take a rail line in a road-rail vehicle. With no trains running you're also much less likely to get ambushed driving down a rail line than you would be on a road. People just don't think about it.

With two or three road-rail trucks you could put those signs up along all major lines in days.
That is cool. I'm going to work that into my novel.
I see these quite a bit by me. We have a major rail hub in a town about 12 miles from here, so we have a lot of rail lines crossing the streets. I thought about using these once as an idea years ago but it slipped my mind, really, for travelling throughout the PAW.

Also, walking railroad tracks is work. Stepping onto or over the ties wears you out.
Image

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

User avatar
ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...
Location: neia

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ausher » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:00 pm

Heck you cant even watch loony toons without a of mice and men reference lol.... my theory is the character Carol knows that. ..

What can be done has been done... that's probably why all these movies from my childhood are being remade now... its tough to be original in this day and age...

One of my buddies told me a long time ago think of a new life form that isnt a variation of something that already exists..... it cant be done. ..

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm

ausher wrote:Heck you cant even watch loony toons without a of mice and men reference lol.... my theory is the character Carol knows that.
Yes, I know. I think you may think I'm up in arms about it. I'm not. It's not a big deal, just pointing it out.

In "Looney Toons" they referenced Lenny, not the scene. Which was very funny.

In TWD they re-did the scene with very little variation. The whole episode was "Of Mice and Men" and thinly veiled. I expect more from them. It's not Carol playing out the scene alone, even if Carol "knew" about the book there is no way the little girl did.

Just to state it again, it's not a big deal. Everything after Shakespeare is just a re-write. :o
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14379
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by dogbane » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:25 pm

TV borrows from literature all the time. Example: I remember as a kid watching Bill Bixby in The Incredible Hulk act out the plot of Richard Connell's short story "The Most Dangerous Game" in the episode "The Snare." That story has been done dozens of times over.
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 pm

So y'all are trying to tell me TV is a lie?

The horror, the horror.....* :ohdear:

*Stolen from "Apocalypse Now" which was stolen from Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness".

It's a vicious cycle. :lol:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2691
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 pm

RickOShea wrote:Meh, everything had been done over and over again, ad nauseam.
I agree. But wait, allow me to adjust my monocle (cue Masterpiece Theatre soundtrack). Ah, that's better.

Cormac McCarthy, in one of his rare interviews, noted that all books are based in some way on other books. And most writers understand that elements of craft are recycled because they work, meaning they're satisfying to the audience.

For example in McCarthy's Blood Meridian, the scene in which the character Toadvine doesn't shoot Judge Holden essentially is no different than in Moby Dick, where Starbuck doesn't kill Captain Ahab.

The action, or lack thereof, spells doom for the group.

However, as I posted last week:
The writing in this show is getting sloppy. It's one thing to occasionally include a "tip of the hat," and recycle stylistic devices that've been done before, but on the TWD it's getting to be a bit much.

Collapsing at the crossroads. Old time music while a creepy scene plays out in the background. The tea pot boiling over.

C'mon, man. Some things get a pass in comics, like waking from a coma in the zombie apocalypse (Gee, that's never been done before!). But this is a big-time TV show and viewers deserve a bit more creativity.
The climax of this episode could've been as effective, if not more, if it'd been filmed with the camera focused only on Tyreese in the window, hearing the gunshot, allowing the emotional impact to stem from the sound and Tyreese's reaction.

True. That's also been done before but the reference might have been less obvious.

Instead, here we go again: another installment of TWD with dramatic imagery and dialogue plucked from elsewhere. It's worth discussing because those type of gimmicks didn't take place as often in the first two seasons.

It's a concern. I like TWD (TV and the GN) and I'd hate to see the series spin off the rails.

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14379
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by dogbane » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Gingerbread Man wrote:So y'all are trying to tell me TV is a lie?

The horror, the horror.....* :ohdear:

*Stolen from "Apocalypse Now" which was stolen from Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness".

It's a vicious cycle. :lol:
:lol:
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
firerat
* * *
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:54 am
Location: South Florida

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by firerat » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:40 pm

ausher wrote:
The mice and men may be a rip off, but im sure carol either saw the movie or read the book and probably used that to justify doing what she had to do. Unless of mice and men didn't exist in this world. .. but fictional things in our world and theirs did exist, the game portal glen mentioned to maggie, boondock saints poster ect....
That makes a lot of sense actually.

Remember, Carol did read to the kids a lot.

In this episode, they even made mention of carol reading Huck Finn to the girls when they were walking down the tracks.
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9072
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:57 pm

ausher wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Boondock wrote:Starting to wonder if this Terminus will be a version of one of the D.C. communities in the GN.
I have a feeling that whatever this "Terminus" place is, it just ain't gonna work-out for our survivors
It won't work out... Rick just cant get along with other authority figures in new groups.... even when glen saved his ass in the tank, he screwed up that good thing.... wherever Rick goes people will die....
No, I'm talking about the place either being deserted (except for walkers), or populated by ne'er-do-wells.

I'm reminded of Nebraska back in season 2. One of the rumors Dave talked about was people going to a railhead in Montgomery, AL and being put on trains heading to the Midwest. This "Terminus" may have been something like that, but has long since ceased operating. The radio broadcast just being a solar-powered deal on a loop.

And possibly any people that inhabit the place now are just sitting back waiting on stragglers to line up like a "hot lunch". :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...
Location: neia

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ausher » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:09 pm

RickOShea wrote:
ausher wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Boondock wrote:Starting to wonder if this Terminus will be a version of one of the D.C. communities in the GN.
I have a feeling that whatever this "Terminus" place is, it just ain't gonna work-out for our survivors
It won't work out... Rick just cant get along with other authority figures in new groups.... even when glen saved his ass in the tank, he screwed up that good thing.... wherever Rick goes people will die....
No, I'm talking about the place either being deserted (except for walkers), or populated by ne'er-do-wells.

I'm reminded of Nebraska back in season 2. One of the rumors Dave talked about was people going to a railhead in Montgomery, AL and being put on trains heading to the Midwest. This "Terminus" may have been something like that, but has long since ceased operating.

And possibly any people that inhabit the place now are just sitting back waiting on stragglers to line up like a "hot lunch". :crazy:
My post should of been blue, but i agree with your post on what terminus might be. Im going with terminus is where the "hunters" come into play....



Seems like everything happening in the tv show happened in the comic, but in a different contex.
Possible comic spoiler..Like what lizzie did and when carl shot the boy running away. He shot him because his mind he was doing what needed to be done. In the comic he killed the little boy(lizzie) because it needed to be done...

User avatar
Mikeyboy
* * * * *
Posts: 2265
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:49 pm

dogbane wrote:Is not watching The Talking Dead like some kind of hipster-cool thing? :wink:

Or is it more of an "It's past my bedtime because I'm old" kind of thing?
I usually DVR it and watch it the next day because its on late and I'm old :ohdear:

I actually like the host, Chris Hardwick. He is funny and quick on his feet (the show is live). I like the show because a lot of funny things do come up.

User avatar
Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:
dogbane wrote:Is not watching The Talking Dead like some kind of hipster-cool thing? :wink:

Or is it more of an "It's past my bedtime because I'm old" kind of thing?
I usually DVR it and watch it the next day because its on late and I'm old :ohdear:

I actually like the host, Chris Hardwick. He is funny and quick on his feet (the show is live). I like the show because a lot of funny things do come up.
I love when they have guest who are not on the show.
I like hearing fans goof on the show and talking about there reaction to the show.

when you have the actors they just talk about the characters inner feeling

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:10 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
dogbane wrote:
Jaeger wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road-rail_vehicle

Image

Forget a hand-car. At a major rail junction there are bound to be plenty of road-rail maintenance trucks. It would pretty much be the perfect vehicle for the ZPAW. You could drive down rail lines free of pile-ups of cars, and if you encountered rail cars on the track you raise the steel wheels and drive like a regular 4WD truck... I've talked about it with my buddy, who is a train controller in Omaha for UP, and if you want to get from point A to point B when everything is down there is really no better way than to take a rail line in a road-rail vehicle. With no trains running you're also much less likely to get ambushed driving down a rail line than you would be on a road. People just don't think about it.

With two or three road-rail trucks you could put those signs up along all major lines in days.
That is cool. I'm going to work that into my novel.
I see these quite a bit by me. We have a major rail hub in a town about 12 miles from here, so we have a lot of rail lines crossing the streets. I thought about using these once as an idea years ago but it slipped my mind, really, for travelling throughout the PAW.

Also, walking railroad tracks is work. Stepping onto or over the ties wears you out.
It's also a great place to be killed in an ambush.

Personally, I'd never walk down railroad tracks, day or night. (See my signature)
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9072
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:46 pm

ausher wrote:
RickOShea wrote: No, I'm talking about the place either being deserted (except for walkers), or populated by ne'er-do-wells.

I'm reminded of Nebraska back in season 2. One of the rumors Dave talked about was people going to a railhead in Montgomery, AL and being put on trains heading to the Midwest. This "Terminus" may have been something like that, but has long since ceased operating.

And possibly any people that inhabit the place now are just sitting back waiting on stragglers to line up like a "hot lunch". :crazy:
My post should of been blue, but i agree with your post on what terminus might be. Im going with terminus is where the "hunters" come into play....
Yeah, I was just trying to work in a Jaws reference. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
UndeadInfidel
* * * * *
Posts: 2342
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by UndeadInfidel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:40 pm

dogbane wrote:Is not watching The Talking Dead like some kind of hipster-cool thing? :wink:

Or is it more of an "It's past my bedtime because I'm old" kind of thing?
It's more of an "I don't pay for cable and download this shit" type of thing.
Image

User avatar
ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...
Location: neia

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ausher » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:57 pm

RickOShea wrote:
ausher wrote:
RickOShea wrote: No, I'm talking about the place either being deserted (except for walkers), or populated by ne'er-do-wells.

I'm reminded of Nebraska back in season 2. One of the rumors Dave talked about was people going to a railhead in Montgomery, AL and being put on trains heading to the Midwest. This "Terminus" may have been something like that, but has long since ceased operating.

And possibly any people that inhabit the place now are just sitting back waiting on stragglers to line up like a "hot lunch". :crazy:
My post should of been blue, but i agree with your post on what terminus might be. Im going with terminus is where the "hunters" come into play....
Yeah, I was just trying to work in a Jaws reference. :crazy:
Then you're gonna need a bigger boat. :mrgreen:

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14379
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by dogbane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 pm

UndeadInfidel wrote:
dogbane wrote:Is not watching The Talking Dead like some kind of hipster-cool thing? :wink:

Or is it more of an "It's past my bedtime because I'm old" kind of thing?
It's more of an "I don't pay for cable and download this shit" type of thing.
I have to go to my mom's to watch because I don't have cable, either. I also don't have internet at home, so downloading isn't an option. Truthfully, I only stick around until the "In Memoriam" montage, because it's a school night.
Mostly not here anymore.

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Training Films”