"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Caenus wrote:Hey, I was blonde until I was 7. Now I'm brown haired (like mom) and dad has (had...now it's shaved because he's grey...hair).

I liked this episode. It was my wife's favorite (Dixon fan). She also thought the comedian on TD was hilarious. It's the after show folks! What do you expect. I especially liked the bird tributes the audience members got to give. I rather think that in syndication this episode will be either overlooked and underplayed, or showcased. I hope showcased because I thought it was a great episode.
Yep me too. They call us "Towheads" :lol:

I had blond hair until I was three years old. Then a darker shade of blonde with a hint of red and by the time I was seven it was brown.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Tracking on an asphalt road is nearly impossible unless you have the same sense of smell as a hunting dog and they're on foot. Cars don't leave tread marks everywhere they go like man/animals do in the dirt or the mud. Skid marks are only likely to point the way towards which way they went if the car is sitting in a smoking heap 30 yards from where he's standing.

I know movies have made tracking into some mystical art where the tracker can summon his eagle/wolf spirit through touching the medicine bag around his neck and tell what the persons eye color and bank balance is, but it doesn't really work that way. There's a limit to it just like anything else.

On a road or across rock you can forget about it unless you're following a blood trail or have a decent dog and when what you're tracking is in a vehicle you can forget about it altogether.

If the car was leaking oil or the chick was tossing breadcrumbs out like Hansel and Gretel he might have something to work with. That doesn't appear to be the case.
^^^ All Truth. Pretty much impossible to track over paved road except for very few circumstances.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Daryl might be going the Jake Spoon route (character from Lonesome Dove).

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about:
Lonesome dove is a western.
Google The character of Jake Spoon.

I see the marauders being brought to justice in Terminus and Daryl is with them.
The survivors from the prison will be present at the execution.

Frontier justice baby

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 pm

It just hit me why the Dead keep moving. Its so they don't get eaten by fireants.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Holy crap, has TWD gotten boring ....

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Rugger wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:Tracking on an asphalt road is nearly impossible unless you have the same sense of smell as a hunting dog and they're on foot. Cars don't leave tread marks everywhere they go like man/animals do in the dirt or the mud. Skid marks are only likely to point the way towards which way they went if the car is sitting in a smoking heap 30 yards from where he's standing.

I know movies have made tracking into some mystical art where the tracker can summon his eagle/wolf spirit through touching the medicine bag around his neck and tell what the persons eye color and bank balance is, but it doesn't really work that way. There's a limit to it just like anything else.

On a road or across rock you can forget about it unless you're following a blood trail or have a decent dog and when what you're tracking is in a vehicle you can forget about it altogether.

If the car was leaking oil or the chick was tossing breadcrumbs out like Hansel and Gretel he might have something to work with. That doesn't appear to be the case.
^^^ All Truth. Pretty much impossible to track over paved road except for very few circumstances.
My thought was that there were leaves all over the road and very few, if any cars other than that one. Might be possible to follow the disrupted leaves. In the show it just looked like he was following the road until the road split. Then he sat down and had a man cry. (Internal, looks a lot like anger or constipation)
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:07 pm

Well I'm officially frustrated. This show is drifting badly and if the producers/writers know where they want to take the story next, they're taking waaay too long getting us there.

The Sasha-Bob-Maggie edition of Survivor is getting tedious. Who will get voted out of the group? Where do the contestant's loyalties lie? Will two form an alliance against the third? The only part that I found even remotely interesting was the flashback revealing a thin slice of Bob's back story.

The funeral home was definitely a trap. Well kept, clean, open and inviting. The real kicker was that single cabinet neatly snacked with not quite enough food to be a huge loss if it all gets taken by a visiting group. But just enough to maybe entice them to stick around for a night or two. The "stray" dog paying a visit accomplished two things:

1) Tests a visiting group's capabilities/response to unexpected events.
2) Lulls them into a false sense of security. So they'll believe the next "visit" is the same harmless dog instead of a horde purposely drawn to the house to flush the group out into the open.

Daryl played that situation at the crossroads about as well as he could given the hand he was dealt. He's nothing if not a survivor; so he did what he needed to do in order to live to see another day. The only thing he did wrong came before that: he didn't leave Beth for dead when he had the chance.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Caenus wrote:
Rugger wrote:

My thought was that there were leaves all over the road and very few, if any cars other than that one. Might be possible to follow the disrupted leaves. In the show it just looked like he was following the road until the road split. Then he sat down and had a man cry. (Internal, looks a lot like anger or constipation)
It would be reasonable to assume that two years into the apocalypse that there would be leaves, dirt, trash from refugees/locals/soldiers, dead branches, overgrown branches and other debris over the road. The roads here are jacked up normally without all that going on, but that wasn't what was shown.

Check it out next week when it does the re-cap. He has his frustrated man-cry sitting down on the railroad dirt gravel section of what looks like at least 4 different roads and the railroad tracks, the actual roads are clear and pretty clean (road sweeper?). If the producers wanted him to have a clue where the car went they would have thrown some dirt on the road, but they didn't want that...so no dirt and now he could be forced to meet the mauraders.

Those roads should be dirty 2 years in...but they weren't. Just going off the limits of tracking and what the road actually looked like. :Shrug
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Here's a couple of screencaps. Do with them what you will.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Ground looks different in pics 1-2 vs. 3.

More leaves than I remember though
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 am

RickOShea wrote:Here's a couple of screencaps. Do with them what you will.
Wait, did you just really basically say "Here are pics. Take it or leaf it"??? :words:
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33 am

Caenus wrote:
Rugger wrote:

Could be the road was just a straight on going road, and he was just following the road, and stopped where he did because of the two different ways.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:
Wait, did you just really basically say "Here are pics. Take it or leaf it"??? :words:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

---------------------------

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:49 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

---------------------------

it was mentioned in the talking dead that the dog lost its eye protecting its owner from a car jacker.
Not sure if its neutered, but the mutt has balls

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:58 pm

You know, I wonder if Norman has a clause in his contract to not hook up with anyone in WD. Because they had him heading toward hooking up with Carol, but then she was kicked out. Michonne seemed to start to open up with him and take a shine to him, then the prison is over run and they go separate ways. Beth and Daryl start to bond, and right at the moment where it looks like he might say "I have changed because of you Beth", or something even more sappy, the zombies show up and Beth is kidnapped. Seems like Daryl has been so close to hooking up with 3 different women but never gets there. Or maybe this is done to tease all the female fans who have crushes on him?

As for the tracking the car that took Beth. After rewatching the episode, I think the cross roads was not Daryl loosing the trail, but him emotionally and physically exhausted. He had been jogging how far to get to that point? Just before getting there they had showed him stop for a moment and he looked beat and tired and really not able to keep going, but he summoned up a reserve and forced himself into a jog again.

So I think he reached the cross roads and just collapsed because he was past his endurance. I think if he had not been interrupted by the new guys he would have eventually gotten up, started scanning around to see if he could have picked up a trail in the leaves. He just didn't get that opportunity.

While I see people complaining these episodes are boring, I don't agree. I like the slower paced episodes that tell a story, that build background, that make you invest in characters, that give foreshadowing to what might be coming, and give a breather between all the heavy big action. Because seriously no story is all action. People even in ZPAW would have periods of dull and boring. While these episodes have been a lot of character filling out, back story, and bonding of friendships there has still been plenty of fighting with zombies and action. Just not huge battles. Maybe it is just me, but I like substance and dialog. I like knowing the characters. For me it is not all about action and drama.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Ok dude. I need to see your man card. You know better than admitting emotional content in public. :mrgreen:
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Ok dude. I need to see your man card. You know better than admitting emotional content in public. :mrgreen:
it is possible to be manly and emotionally in tuned.
Hard as shit to pull off....but possible

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Ok dude. I need to see your man card. You know better than admitting emotional content in public. :mrgreen:
Hey if Daryl can cry, and admit emotion I think guys are now allowed to admit emotional content.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:52 pm

What's up with everyone thinking these episodes have been boring?

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Ryder358 wrote:What's up with everyone thinking these episodes have been boring?
Yeah, I've kinda been digging it.

Funny how zombies are not a problem anymore. Maggie killed a dozen with a street sign...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Ryder358 wrote:What's up with everyone thinking these episodes have been boring?

This review of Sunday's episode captures my feeling about the last two or three:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... iew-alone/
This was a more action-packed episode than last week, and we had more characters onscreen. But the show is still having difficulty creating a sense of momentum. We have great, tense moments like the zombies coming out of the fog, or the funeral home being overrun, but they’re almost ad hoc at this point. There isn’t much in the way of rising tension from beginning to middle to end.

Season 4 needs to feel like we’re building toward something.

Meanwhile, the action feels a little repetitive at this point. Like we’ve seen these same fight scenes play out over and over. Even the fog, which was neat, ended up just being yet another zombie smashing scene.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:28 pm

feedthedog wrote:Funny how zombies are not a problem anymore. Maggie killed a dozen with a street sign...

I think now the shock of zombies has worn off, and this is now just reality of life for the people. As long as it isn't a huge herd of zombies, they aren't a huge issue. Maggie killing them like crazy with a sign, Daryl leading them down to the basement killing a bunch and blocking them in with the gurney and just walking out taking a moment to even retrieve an arrow as he heads up the stairs. Even the earlier episode of Carl leading them away from the house, no big deal until he was surprised by one coming out of the bushes.

At this point everyone who is alive has had plenty of encounters with the zombies, unless your injured or swarmed they aren't a huge problem. Everyone knows, destroy the brain, everyone knows don't get bit, everyone knows don't get trapped. The zombies have become routine as crossing a street at this point.

I do think that after a year of ZPAW, people would either adapt or die and I think the biggest weapon zombies have is the freak out factor, and people's stigma against killing other people. Once people accept the zombies as not people, their survival rate rises. When the sight of a zombie no longer makes the person crap their pants in fear and scream like a little girl, survival rate rises.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:48 pm

majorhavoc wrote:

This review of Sunday's episode captures my feeling about the last two or three:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... iew-alone/
This was a more action-packed episode than last week, and we had more characters onscreen. But the show is still having difficulty creating a sense of momentum. We have great, tense moments like the zombies coming out of the fog, or the funeral home being overrun, but they’re almost ad hoc at this point. There isn’t much in the way of rising tension from beginning to middle to end.

Season 4 needs to feel like we’re building toward something.

Meanwhile, the action feels a little repetitive at this point. Like we’ve seen these same fight scenes play out over and over. Even the fog, which was neat, ended up just being yet another zombie smashing scene.
Seems like Forbes already forgot the giant battle of the prison and is only talking about since the mid season break. The episodes since the mid season break have been slower, but I personally like it. It has been a lot of character development. Especially for characters who were mostly background previously.

Michonne has gone from 1 dimensional to someone very interesting with a background and smiles.

Tyreese has shown he is more than a big burly angry fighter, but has a soft loving side for little kids.

Even the two girls had a little development, with Lizzie being show to be a budding psychopath, and Mika a sensitive but also smart little girl.

Sasha has been developed better, though I still think there is more to her. It has been a good start of her being more than background.

Tara has been given more also, with her sticking by Glenn and trying to help him. Though like Sasha I think she still has a lot further to go.

Bob is now more than the alcoholic guy now, but someone who cares and does not want to ever be alone but will go alone to prevent others from being alone. We also see him before prison and find he is resourceful and intelligent. Quite capable of survival alone, who would have known given what we saw of him at the prison.

Beth a character I found annoying all the way back to the farm, has finally been developed into an interesting person.

Daryl has actually gotten some more dialog and back story and we understand him a lot more. Which just makes him a lot more interesting and much more my fav character with all his development.

I really like that the people who were background characters have finally gotten time to be filled in. That we learn a bit more about these people and what has gotten them this far, and even what sort of people they are. Remember folks this has not been the entire season, just since the midseason break. Where we had a huge battle and lots of drama. All this slower moving stuff is leading us to something big as everyone converges at Terminus.
Last edited by ineffableone on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:55 pm

I am enjoying this season. I like the character development and the suspense of what terminus is all about. My hunch it leads unsuspecting victims to a group of cannabals... the map leading to it looks like a spiders web. Enticing and trapping prey....

Return to “Zombie Training Films”