"Walking Dead" Cable Series

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Re: "Walking Dead" Cable Series

Post by dogbane » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 am

feedthedog wrote:Zombies or no zombies if this is South Georgia in summer, I'm wearing shorts and a cut off t-shirt.
In the ZPAW, there will be no indecency laws, so why not go au natural? :lol:

I used to be a field archaeologist, in the south, in the summertime. Briar thickets, barbed wire fences, venomous snakes, ticks, poison ivy, etc. Boots and BDUs for me.
Mostly not here anymore.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I will say that at least Rosita only uses one of her handguns at a time. When I first saw her I was afraid that she was going to go all Tomb Raider the first time she shot something. She does need to tie those things down though so the don't flop so much. In fact no one on the show seems to know anything about packing gear. They always got so much crap flopping around its a wonder they can run at all.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Finally watched the most recent episode. Not too impressed, especially in terms of Abraham's character (obviously I have an interest).

I think one of the problems facing the writers is that, in the GN, Abraham steps in as Rick's go-to guy and is for a long time. But the TV show's got Daryl, so if Ford starts acting like a badass, I fear a lot of folks will think he's just being a Dixon wannabe.

Tyreese's character shares the same dilemma.

Character motivation is a another hiccup at this point, also in terms of TV vs the GN, and it's a reason why some things don't add up.

For example, Rick's survivors don't link up with Abraham's army necessarily to help deliver Eugene. They do because the prison was lost and it was Ford who had supplies and the most zombie killing experience.

In the GN, Abraham was the only one who'd seen a herd of walkers. He'd spent most of the ZPAW fighting on the roads. Rick & Co. were either hunkered in a Hershel's or the prison.

I dunno. I could go on but won't since the survivors are still scattered. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I think the writer's have their work cut for them. And to keep the show moving, they'll need to address the mounting slew of issues real fast.

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:16 pm

Stab74 wrote:More exotic full auto foreign military small arms! Man this show must have a gold club members card at 1980's Discount Movie Guns Warehouse. Glad Rick got Chuck Norris's favorite smg, shouldn't have to reload it. That would explain why the bandit carrying it didn't have any extra mags I guess. :D

At least it appeared to be an actual semi-auto with the grooved bolt. :lol:
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

paladinm1911

Post by paladinm1911 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 pm

feedthedog wrote:
Stab74 wrote:More exotic full auto foreign military small arms! Man this show must have a gold club members card at 1980's Discount Movie Guns Warehouse. Glad Rick got Chuck Norris's favorite smg, shouldn't have to reload it. That would explain why the bandit carrying it didn't have any extra mags I guess. :D
I was just joking about that tonight. Great firearms line up going on this season. They must have raided Mr. T's van
I know Rick was a cop and all but would he know how to work an UZI? Most cops I know (not a lot but a few) are not gun people.
I'm not nit picking just adding to the conversation, love the show. But Rick needs to rack the bolt back on that UZI to make it work. :awesome:

Dave

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Kommander wrote:I want to thank Rosita for showing us all how a true survivor of a zombie apocalypse should dress. I have sold all my armor and will now greet the end times with nothing but daisy dukes and a crop top.

*sigh*

I had thought that this show was trying, at least by Hollywood standards, to be realistic. Then zombie apocalypse barbie showed up. She....she looks like a video game character. Perhaps she was doing some cosplay at Dragon Con when the shit hit the fan or somthing.
Actually, I did comment to my fellow watcher she is the first character in the series who actually looks exactly like someone out of a comic-- giving a nod to the source material.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
KnifeStyle wrote:The first time Eugene spoke, I instantly thought they were trying to portray Aspergers. His later statements seem to reflect that as well. They're using a very distinctive vocal pattern, movement style, and personality for him. The way he went for the rifle and how he was shooting seemed to imply he's not panicking or flinching, he just saw it as a problem to solve and it didn't pan out because of a variable factor. Combine that with the Sergeant who is definitely wishing to relive his glory days where he was in-control of his life, very intriguing group. Except for the Daisy Dukes girl. Really?
+1 on the Aspergers, but that could make him a legit doctor and genius. I know a few guys with Aspergers that are very, very smart but they are a bit clumsy (fumbling with the AR) and are socially awkward and say "inappropriate" things (I'm smarter than you).

In watching the Talking Dead, they said they tried to match the look to the comics and Rosita look and even the choice of guns is exact. I hope its just an homage to the Graphic novel fans and not a long term thing. Not that I don't mind seeing some skin, she is hot, but I hate for the TV show to get too campy and unrealistic.

Im glad im not the only one to think this.... I looked at the GF and said hes a genius, but that dudes got the biggest case of Aspergers I've ever seen. He honestly probably has the cure locked up inside that brain of his.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 am

paladinm1911 wrote:I know Rick was a cop and all but would he know how to work an UZI? Most cops I know (not a lot but a few) are not gun people.
I'm not nit picking just adding to the conversation, love the show. But Rick needs to rack the bolt back on that UZI to make it work. :awesome:

Dave
I noticed that as well. Not too many folks these days have spent time with open-bolt firearms. I was luck enough to have been a Canadian Army reservist in the eighties (lol) so I knew he wasn't in a position to fire.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Toothpick Jim

Post by Toothpick Jim » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:34 am

Speaking of guns....where are all the 10/22's and Marlin Model 60's???? There must be millions laying around somewhere. Also, where are the .22's (pistols & rifles) in general? You would think that a .22 would be one of the more common guns and easiest to supply/carry ammo. Instead they are walking around armed like they are in a video game.

Dale was one of the few with a bolt action or hunting gun...that does not seem right either.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:56 pm

Well it could be a closed bolt semi auto UZI that had the barrel shortened. He still should have checked chamber status. How about just pulling the mag to see if it was loaded. So far with the exceptional lack of 10/22s and 60s, the guns aren't too crazy. The Gov was is a special position to be able to aquire any esoteric gun to enter woodberry (sp?) so his AUG doesn't bother me to much. An occasional MP5 from some ex swat team or converted semi's are ok. The pervasive use of M16/M4s is quite accurate. Pristine AKs for low level hinchmen is odd. I would expect to see many more shotguns, both tactical and exhunting models, being used. Oh well it's Hollywood crazy gun misperception at work.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Toothpick Jim wrote:Speaking of guns....where are all the 10/22's and Marlin Model 60's???? There must be millions laying around somewhere. Also, where are the .22's (pistols & rifles) in general? You would think that a .22 would be one of the more common guns and easiest to supply/carry ammo. Instead they are walking around armed like they are in a video game.

Dale was one of the few with a bolt action or hunting gun...that does not seem right either.
Maybe the .22lr shortage has something to do with it :awesome:

It is a TV show. Its not that exciting to have a horde of zombies approaching and the hero whipping out a 10/22 and having that light "phew, phew, phew" sound and tiny .22lr casings flying out in dramatic slow mo. However at some point would you give the kids a .22, Crazy Lizzie and he sister has centerfire pistols.

The other thing that bugs me is Daryl and his crossbow. I get it for the sneaking around and taking out lone zombie stuff, but come on your fighting an army of people attacking the prison with a tank and assault rifles and you are still running around shooting people with a crossbow. Also when he got away he still has 4 bolts, he takes out a few zombies, even stabs one in the head with a bolt, yet those 4 bolts will never get lost or broken.
Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:Well it could be a closed bolt semi auto UZI that had the barrel shortened. He still should have checked chamber status. How about just pulling the mag to see if it was loaded. So far with the exceptional lack of 10/22s and 60s, the guns aren't too crazy. The Gov was is a special position to be able to aquire any esoteric gun to enter woodberry (sp?) so his AUG doesn't bother me to much. An occasional MP5 from some ex swat team or converted semi's are ok. The pervasive use of M16/M4s is quite accurate. Pristine AKs for low level hinchmen is odd. I would expect to see many more shotguns, both tactical and exhunting models, being used. Oh well it's Hollywood crazy gun misperception at work.
I agree, not only would finding a Class 3 Uzi in Georgia during a ZPAW be rare, but its not that great of a gun to use for zombies. What are you going to go for a head shot shooting from the hip with a short barreled, Stock folded UZI. The majority of guns should be scavenged police and military stuff like M4 & M9, and MP5, glocks and other service pistols mixed with typical higher end civilian gun stuff like ARs, AKs and pistols. At first playing the game of battlefield pickup during a ZPAW I guess you get what you get, but at this point I would think everyone would have a decent and "zombie practical" gun.
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Funny enough, I caught some of "Survival Alaska" and one of the guys has a Henry AR-7.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 pm

I can't find a screen shot of that uzi, but it appeared to have a grooved bolt to me. Which would make it a closed bolt semi auto.......hopefully the original owner had an SBR stamp. :ohdear:

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Which would make it a closed bolt semi auto.......hopefully the original owner had an SBR stamp. :ohdear:
Or a hacksaw after the ZPAW started.

Oh and the scene where Mullet Boy shoots up their only means of transport just pisses me off. I mean WTF? Even an idiot with zero training would have realized that shooting FA when you have no experience is stupid. And why would he have switched to FA anyhow? It isn't the the first stage from safe, so it is less than normal for a novice to go that extra step to giggle.
Last edited by Gun_Nut_2k1 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Gun_Nut_2k1 wrote:
Maverick299 wrote:Which would make it a closed bolt semi auto.......hopefully the original owner had an SBR stamp. :ohdear:
Or a hacksaw after the ZPAW started.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:46 pm

I looked into crossbows because of the show, hilariously enough the prop Darryl is using is actually a lightweight model designed for kids. You heard me, they actually make children's crossbows. Experts complain he'd need a severely heavier model to do what he does on the show. One rule of thumb that the producers should pay me for: Zombies have calcium depletion and have softer bones for whatever reason, thus these skull piercings scenes are so easy to do.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:20 pm

KnifeStyle wrote: Zombies have calcium depletion and have softer bones for whatever reason, thus these skull piercings scenes are so easy to do.
I know, right? Watermelons are harder to crack than zombie heads. It seems to be getting worse as the series goes on. At this rate, they'll be poking through mushy zombie heads with their index fingers by next season. :lol:
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Maverick299 wrote:I can't find a screen shot of that uzi, but it appeared to have a grooved bolt to me. Which would make it a closed bolt semi auto.......hopefully the original owner had an SBR stamp. :ohdear:
Best I could find:

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Armor76 wrote:
KnifeStyle wrote: Zombies have calcium depletion and have softer bones for whatever reason, thus these skull piercings scenes are so easy to do.
I know, right? Watermelons are harder to crack than zombie heads. It seems to be getting worse as the series goes on. At this rate, they'll be poking through mushy zombie heads with their index fingers by next season. :lol:
They do use the plastic stocks of their M4s to bust open a bunch of skulls. Not saying that it couldn't be done, but that thing isn't much of an impact weapon, especially over time, unless zombie heads are super squishy.

Apparently we already have a thread about crushing zombie skulls and the force required: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 20&t=81942

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:17 pm

I wondered about the zombies having the skulls the density of soft shell crabs at a sushi bar. Yes, it has been about 18 months since most of those folks were turned but skulls last buried in dirt, mud, etc. for thousands of years. Every time I see one of the characters slam a knife to the hilt right between the eyes of a zombie I cringe. That has got to be one of the toughest parts of the human skull. A hatchet or hammer would do it with one hand but a knife would have to be tough and the user pretty damn strong.

And those collapsible M-4 style AR stocks taking jaws off and crushing craniums have bothered me as well. A gun smith friend of mine repaired four or five of those when he ran his own shop for three years due to people trying to use them for a bludgeon.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:31 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote:I wondered about the zombies having the skulls the density of soft shell crabs at a sushi bar. Yes, it has been about 18 months since most of those folks were turned but skulls last buried in dirt, mud, etc. for thousands of years. Every time I see one of the characters slam a knife to the hilt right between the eyes of a zombie I cringe. That has got to be one of the toughest parts of the human skull. A hatchet or hammer would do it with one hand but a knife would have to be tough and the user pretty damn strong.

And those collapsible M-4 style AR stocks taking jaws off and crushing craniums have bothered me as well. A gun smith friend of mine repaired four or five of those when he ran his own shop for three years due to people trying to use them for a bludgeon.
Something to note is that there is a difference between live (green) bone and dead bone. Live bone is actually not that hard to cut pierce with the right tool, while dead bone becomes much harder but also more brittle.

Now not saying WD is accurate, far from it. Just pointing out that bone strength changes depending on if it is live or dead. This of course brings up, what would be the state of zombie bones?
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:44 pm

TheLastRifleMan wrote: And those collapsible M-4 style AR stocks taking jaws off and crushing craniums have bothered me as well. A gun smith friend of mine repaired four or five of those when he ran his own shop for three years due to people trying to use them for a bludgeon.
Even mortaring an AR stock against the ground to dislodge a stuck bolt gives me pause.

But when I'm watching this show, I let all that shit slide. Unrealistically stout AR stocks or ridiculously fragile zombie skulls; I don't care. There's something poetically beautiful about a spray of CGI blood from a bludgeoned zombie that just never gets old for me. Happy times. :crazy:

Return to “Zombie Training Films”