Natalie Portman slaying zombies with what 1813 weapons?

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Natalie Portman slaying zombies with what 1813 weapons?

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:55 am

One of the characters in Sharpe's Rifles carries a 6 barreled musket I believe - the Irish guy.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:00 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:One of the characters in Sharpe's Rifles carries a 6 barreled musket I believe - the Irish guy.
him??

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:20 pm

Affirmative! :D He's kind of a bad-ass too, one with a golden heart.
President ZSC011

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:20 am

ninja-elbow wrote:Affirmative! :D He's kind of a bad-ass too, one with a golden heart.
well I hope he never tries to shoulder fire one of those in the show, because IRL it would probably break your shoulder.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:23 am

Patrick Harper, yeah, he has the Nock Gun.

And he's a big guy, thats why he has it.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:16 pm

How it is depicted in the show, I'm not sure how that gun operates. I have no clue if it fires all 6 or it revolves to fire one at a time.

Which reminds me, I need to start buying the DVDs. I checked them all out at the library a few years ago, that's how I watched them. Good show.
President ZSC011

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:02 pm

For crushing skulls the mace is probably the best weapon invented so far. However, swinging one for a few hours could be an interesting experience. Even the padded things the SCA uses can wear you out pretty fast if you're not conditioned to it. A cutlass could be a good choice. Especially if combined with a mace or cudgel to administer the coup de grace by crushing the skull.

Also consider the Girandoni air rifle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Lewis and Clark expediton used one (or a a copy of it) for foraging on their famous expedition. It was, by all reports, a very effective weapon out to 150 yards.

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by parabarbarian on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

Dingo McPhee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1985)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Days Later
Resident Evil: Extinction

Post by Dingo McPhee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:53 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:Pistols even came in a handy box of two:

This is of course the often-mentioned "brace of pistols."

Main Entry: brace
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, clasp, pair, from Anglo-French, pair of arms, pair, support, from Latin bracchia, plural of bracchium arm, from Greek brachiōn, from comparative of brachys short
Date: 14th century
1 : something (as a clasp) that connects or fastens
2 : two of a kind; a pair <several brace of quail>

MrAcheson

Post by MrAcheson » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:44 pm

Harper carries the Nocks Volley Gun. It has 7 ~.50 caliber smoothbore barrels, but only one flintlock firing mechanism. It fires them all roughly simultaneously.

In the book, the Bennets and Darcys were trained in Japan and carry katana not sabers. Lady Catherine was trained by the Shaolin in China (although she employs ninja) and this is a major source of friction between her and Elizabeth.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:16 pm

MrAcheson wrote:In the book, the Bennets and Darcys were trained in Japan and carry katana not sabers. Lady Catherine was trained by the Shaolin in China (although she employs ninja) and this is a major source of friction between her and Elizabeth.
Actually, the Bennets were trained in Shaolin; Lady Catherine and the Darcys are the same family, trained in Japan. They do all carry katanas, and tend to use their Brown Bess for the first round only before going all melee on them.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:38 pm

I really wish they would have picked someone else besides portman...I just can not stand her. :?

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:55 pm

gelgoog wrote:I really wish they would have picked someone else besides portman...I just can not stand her. :?
I'm fine with her playing Lizzie, I'm more worried about the tone and style of the movie. IMO the best way to play it is to actually make Pride and Prejudice, and make it with zombies. Know what I mean? Like a "real" period drama, with real-looking (not necessarily realistic) zombat scenes. Not like something that should have either a laugh track or heavy metal music.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:
gelgoog wrote:I really wish they would have picked someone else besides portman...I just can not stand her. :?
I'm fine with her playing Lizzie, I'm more worried about the tone and style of the movie. IMO the best way to play it is to actually make Pride and Prejudice, and make it with zombies. Know what I mean? Like a "real" period drama, with real-looking (not necessarily realistic) zombat scenes. Not like something that should have either a laugh track or heavy metal music.
Well I just watched Gingersnaps last week which was a werewolf movie during the same period and was actually fairly well done... So i guess anything is possible.

Howaido

Post by Howaido » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:57 pm

and my personal favorite and most useful in this circumstance.
the mace pistol

The most awesome thing I have seen in a long time. One of these, a blunderbus, and a sword would do me, 1813 style.
Run into the crowd as they're coming toward us and start punching the women...They're going to kill us anyway...At least you will steal their victory."

-Christopher McQuarrie

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

That mace pistol looks considerably earlier than 1813.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Mbelasko12

Post by Mbelasko12 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:11 am

Howaido wrote:
and my personal favorite and most useful in this circumstance.
the mace pistol

The most awesome thing I have seen in a long time. One of these, a blunderbus, and a sword would do me, 1813 style.
It has a wheel lock so 15 or 16th century

My personal pick:
Projectile
Long range~ Ferguson Rifle (breech loader from 1776) or the Baker Rifle...............hell at some point the crossbow might be handy
Mid/short~ brace of pistols and/or a brace of over/under pistols, plus some pocket pistols

Melee
-Falchion
-tomahawk
-steel mace or a warhammer

SPQR

Post by SPQR » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 am

One must recall that at this time the primary heat source was wood, so every household would have had an axe (usually several) as well as a ready supply of fairly handy clubs if nothing else. Gentlemen carried canes, many with heavy metal heads and some with swords inside.
Don't forget that a reversed flintlock makes an impressive skull smacker.
Also agriculture was hand done at this time, so plenty of farm implements (spades, shovels, hoes, scythes etc) would be available.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 pm

A pair of cavalry sabers sounds good to me, a tomahawk, a smokum-peace-pipe tomahawk, SEVERAL braces of pistol slung bandolier-pirate style, and a Kentucky long rifle.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Tireur

Post by Tireur » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:00 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:
+1
Lol I do wonder what moral soul searching there has to be for an ardent Vegan to take on the zombie hordes! :lol:

My bro is an 1812 reenactor so has all the cool shit like meter long bayonets to fit on the end of his Baker rifle replicator. Brown Bess does score points for long term viability though, anything you can shove down the barrel will do. I'd forgo the pistols since the odds of hitting a coconut sized object beyond a few inches past the muzzle are between jack and shit.

My choice, British Belt Axe. The bastard step child of a tomahawk and light forest axe.

I did not slap you in the face, I high fived your head and your hands did not get in the way.
Epicest th'd evah http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 29&t=29034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Zombie Training Films”