World War Z movie - Brad Pitt and Paramount! W000T!

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: World War Z movie - Brad Pitt and Paramount! W000T!

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 am

Not saying I like or dislike it, but the tidal wave, barrel monkey zombie horde is similar to an ant column trying to cross/climb an obstacle.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:44 am

In the book, the zombies pile up at walls and eventually overtop the barrier--a slow but irresistable mass of zombies. I guess it has to be sped up to fit into a 90-minute action film, but I can't imagine humans being able to dispatch them easily with a shovel as they appear in the film.
Mostly not here anymore.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 am

These zombie remind me of the squids in the Matrix. Just a large fluid mass the you just have to keep shooting. Not sure if I can suspend logic for the zombie motion in this one but I'll watch the movie anyway. Humans just can't move that way.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Dead Zed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series
28 Days/ 28 weeks later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by Dead Zed » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 am

Hey Hollywoood! Thanks for nothing!
T.E. Lawrence wrote:All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Regular Guy wrote:These zombie remind me of the squids in the Matrix. Just a large fluid mass the you just have to keep shooting. Not sure if I can suspend logic for the zombie motion in this one but I'll watch the movie anyway. Humans just can't move that way.
Oh really?

[YouTubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHTOTFNRfo][/YouTube]

And you've obviously never heard of "Buck-Buck"... :D

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/e7q-Sh-Qmz4[/YouTube]
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

akhilleus514
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead (B&W), Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini), Dance of the Dead

Post by akhilleus514 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Thermobaric Zombies- so now there's that.

Frosty709
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them

Post by Frosty709 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:29 pm

I never read the book (shame on me, I know), but it looks like it'll be at least decent, even if I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

firerat

Post by firerat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:14 pm

akhilleus514 wrote:Thermobaric Zombies- so now there's that.
If THAT is what the ZPAW looks like, I'm not even gonna try.... :shock:
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:17 pm

angelofwar wrote:

FTFY
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

colemoge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days & Weeks Later

Post by colemoge » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:34 pm

I kinda dig the World War Z trailer!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those fighters with no losses on thier records are obviously fighting the wrong opponents.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 am

for all the folks saying "I think it will suck, but I will go anyway", then that's why so many movies suck. If they can count on a $500M box no matter how good/bad the movie is, they won't bother with making it good.

I'm not calling for a boycott, but don't spend your hard earned money on something you see as crap.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 am

angelofwar wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:These zombie remind me of the squids in the Matrix. Just a large fluid mass the you just have to keep shooting. Not sure if I can suspend logic for the zombie motion in this one but I'll watch the movie anyway. Humans just can't move that way.
Oh really?
[YouTubehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHTOTFNRfo][/YouTube]
And you've obviously never heard of "Buck-Buck"... :D
[YouTube]http://youtu.be/e7q-Sh-Qmz4[/YouTube]
And I'm sure infected person with some disease can match the YEARS of practice it took to do that. What is this Michael Jackson Zombie plague? I know you're just funnin' and so am I but yeah, humans don't get diseases and begin break dancing or running in herds that act like water.

Edit: Welp, if getting bit makes me dance like that, yeah, I'm getting bit. I'd be straight ruinin' the street.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for fixing those links for me O'shea.

I guess if you're prepared for these types of Zombies, slow zombies are a walk in the park. Looks like I need to the Survival Guide and WWZ...both seem to be rather good books, and right down my alley. I like the geo/political view-point also, something a lot of zombie flicks tend to skip.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

superduder
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie, the LD trilogy, return of the living dead pt I & II,The Battery

Post by superduder » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:25 pm

I won't be watching it.
Max Brooks should've stuck with the "shambling hordes" he describes Zombies as in the survival guide.
Instead, He went with the (2008) day of the dead spider-man/parkour master/gravity defying zombies.
The survival guide would be more of a pamphlet, or fortune cookie insert, if these were the zombies he was writing about.
"I've stared Azreal in the face enough that we should be pretty good friends."

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 pm

From the trailers it looks like waaay too many zombies in one place at one time... even if its the initial outbreak.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:02 pm

I finally watched the trailer and it doesn't look like a movie I'll go see. It looks like a typical Hollywood action movie that isn't going to be as good as the book. And I thought the book was pretty mediocre so that's saying something.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 pm

I"m gonna have to re-read it. I don't remember picturing the zombies that fast. I remember the description of the military picking a place and shooting out from all sides, well supplied and having reloaders etc in the middle, but I didn't picture them coming that fast. I figured human speed at a maximum, but just the sheer amount of zombies was more the issue (climbing up on the mass of dead really dead in front of them)

Either way, I'm not paying 18$ to see anything in a theater. I can wait for $1.29 at redbox and see it at home.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 pm

TheLastOne wrote:I"m gonna have to re-read it. I don't remember picturing the zombies that fast. I remember the description of the military picking a place and shooting out from all sides, well supplied and having reloaders etc in the middle, but I didn't picture them coming that fast. I figured human speed at a maximum, but just the sheer amount of zombies was more the issue (climbing up on the mass of dead really dead in front of them)

Either way, I'm not paying 18$ to see anything in a theater. I can wait for $1.29 at redbox and see it at home.
They don't move that fast in the book. In the book, they move as fast as Brooks mapped out in The Zombie Survival Guide. I don't remember exact numbers, but I believe he wrote that the fastest zombies were still slower than a decent walking pace.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm

World War Z in name only. :vmad:

Griffworks
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero Dead Movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Griffworks » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:01 am

I have a problem with the "like a wave of water" scenes we get in what appears to be Israel (based solely on the shape of the helmets of the soldiers firing at that group of Zombies) for the bus and somewhere in the Middle East w/the enclosed street scene. One of the scenes is clearly in Jerusalem (check out The Dome of the Rock in the background). While I don't have a real problem with Zack being portrayed as being able to do some few feats that a normal human could, those are more about pain receptors likely not working as opposed to shear physical impossibilities. The human body just can't locomote as fast as they're shown in those scenes, as well as traveling that fast and impacting the bus and wall as hard as shown - particularly to knock the bus over - , they'd literally be torn apart.

I have no problem with the Dogpile Ladder at the wall, however. That actually seems like it's realistically done, IMNSHO. Not unlike with ants, if the Zombies aren't feeling any real pain, they'd just be crushed underneath the weight of others, becoming incapacitated - or pulp.

Regardless, I'll be seeing this, as I'm still intrigued. I like Brad Pitt's acting and choices of roles in his movies, so anticipate a good romp. For me, it's more about the story. It'll bug me some about these Scary Fast ZedHeads, but I think I'll live. After all, I managed to live thru Dawn of the Dead (2004). :wink:
BullOnParade wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:I"m gonna have to re-read it. I don't remember picturing the zombies that fast. I remember the description of the military picking a place and shooting out from all sides, well supplied and having reloaders etc in the middle, but I didn't picture them coming that fast. I figured human speed at a maximum, but just the sheer amount of zombies was more the issue (climbing up on the mass of dead really dead in front of them)

They don't move that fast in the book. In the book, they move as fast as Brooks mapped out in The Zombie Survival Guide. I don't remember exact numbers, but I believe he wrote that the fastest zombies were still slower than a decent walking pace.
Exactly so. I want to say there was mention of some who could move at a fast walking pace, but I'd imagine those were still "fresh". That's about the only thing that makes any real sense, anyhow.

Regardless, the main issue with Zack wasn't so much his speed, as the fact he didn't tire. You could sprint half a mile or more and get pretty decently far ahead, but most of us would likely need to rest for a while after such exertion. Let's face it, the average person in the U.S. isn't in very good physical shape. Most of us would likely need to become immobile for at least a short time. It's this point at which the pursuing horde would catch up with you.
"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:16 am

BullOnParade wrote:They don't move that fast in the book. In the book, they move as fast as Brooks mapped out in The Zombie Survival Guide. I don't remember exact numbers, but I believe he wrote that the fastest zombies were still slower than a decent walking pace.
IIRC, the fastest recorded was 1.5 feet per second....?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 am

Griffworks wrote:I have a problem with the "like a wave of water" scenes we get in what appears to be Israel (based solely on the shape of the helmets of the soldiers firing at that group of Zombies) for the bus and somewhere in the Middle East w/the enclosed street scene. One of the scenes is clearly in Jerusalem (check out The Dome of the Rock in the background). While I don't have a real problem with Zack being portrayed as being able to do some few feats that a normal human could, those are more about pain receptors likely not working as opposed to shear physical impossibilities. The human body just can't locomote as fast as they're shown in those scenes, as well as traveling that fast and impacting the bus and wall as hard as shown - particularly to knock the bus over - , they'd literally be torn apart.
I have no problem with the Dogpile Ladder at the wall, however. That actually seems like it's realistically done, IMNSHO. Not unlike with ants, if the Zombies aren't feeling any real pain, they'd just be crushed underneath the weight of others, becoming incapacitated - or pulp.

Regardless, I'll be seeing this, as I'm still intrigued. I like Brad Pitt's acting and choices of roles in his movies, so anticipate a good romp. For me, it's more about the story. It'll bug me some about these Scary Fast ZedHeads, but I think I'll live. After all, I managed to live thru Dawn of the Dead (2004). :wink:
BullOnParade wrote:

Exactly so. I want to say there was mention of some who could move at a fast walking pace, but I'd imagine those were still "fresh". That's about the only thing that makes any real sense, anyhow.

Regardless, the main issue with Zack wasn't so much his speed, as the fact he didn't tire. You could sprint half a mile or more and get pretty decently far ahead, but most of us would likely need to rest for a while after such exertion. Let's face it, the average person in the U.S. isn't in very good physical shape. Most of us would likely need to become immobile for at least a short time. It's this point at which the pursuing horde would catch up with you.
That is the problem I had with the book. How in the heck can zombies survive deep underwater and roam the bottom of the sea. Their heads would crush under the pressure and that would be the end of them.Also the whole military defense of NYC when the army dropped bombs and shells on the horde of zombies and could not stop them, like somehow shuffling zombies would have intack heads after getting hit with 155 artillery shells and 2000lb JDAM bombs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2-Yr7iaKI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYfaGtA ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The book was not very realistic either and honestly Max Brooks was a comedy writer for SNL and a fan of zombies, not a PHd in physics. I think the movie wanted to showcase "newer 28 days later type zombies" to make it more exciting. I never understood how a shuffing zombies disease can get to worldwide epidemic proportions.

If there is a outbreak of shuffling zombies in Phildelphia, the mayor would just have all the trash trucks drive around with snow plows attached like it was a bad snow storm, and crush them all in an hour or two.

firerat

Post by firerat » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am

phil_in_cs wrote:for all the folks saying "I think it will suck, but I will go anyway", then that's why so many movies suck. If they can count on a $500M box no matter how good/bad the movie is, they won't bother with making it good.

I'm not calling for a boycott, but don't spend your hard earned money on something you see as crap.
Exactly.

I wait for movies to come on TV or maybe make it a Blockbuster night. But rarely (can't say never) do I ever go near a theater.
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Also the whole military defense of NYC when the army dropped bombs and shells on the horde of zombies and could not stop them, like somehow shuffling zombies would have intack heads after getting hit with 155 artillery shells and 2000lb JDAM bombs.
The battle of Yonkers wasn't lost entirely because the ordinance didn't work, rather, because most of the troops ran out of ammo as command and control broke down. In the book, the soldier interviewed makes it clear they would've held the line with more shells.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”