EOTW & Dystopian Movies that Actually Helped Your Prepping

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JoeGrayman

EOTW & Dystopian Movies that Actually Helped Your Prepping

Post by JoeGrayman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:03 pm

New member, old prepper here.

I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead. Not so much for the zombie factor but for the little tips here and there that you pickup from scenarios you may not have thought about. I actually keep a notebook for those ideas so that I can include those contingencies in my daily preps. I also use a type of Threat Probability Matrix and assess the likelihood of the scenario and and the level of impact that it would have to my BOL, preps, family, etc.

I love these types of movies that you can actually learn from throughout the movie, not just an isolated scene here or there. I've looked through the boards and see a lot of horror/zombie links, but do you have a list of movies that are actually worth watching? Not just for the lessons but also entertaining enough to sit through 2 hours?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: EOTW & Dystopian Movies that Actually Helped Your Prepping

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:20 pm

JoeGrayman wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:03 pm
New member, old prepper here.

I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead. Not so much for the zombie factor but for the little tips here and there that you pickup from scenarios you may not have thought about. I actually keep a notebook for those ideas so that I can include those contingencies in my daily preps. I also use a type of Threat Probability Matrix and assess the likelihood of the scenario and the level of impact that it would have to my BOL, preps, family, etc.

I love these types of movies that you can actually learn from throughout the movie, not just an isolated scene here or there. I've looked through the boards and see a lot of horror/zombie links, but do you have a list of movies that are actually worth watching? Not just for the lessons but also entertaining enough to sit through 2 hours?
Hmmm. Well, in my case it was a book, not a movie, though the book was eventually made into a movie later one. The book was My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. I fell in love with the book as a young child and that sparked a lifelong interest in self-sufficiency that continues to this day. This has enabled me to survive a winter in NY's Adirondack National Park and two years living homeless on the streets of NY. When my kids were younger I often spoke to them about the book and the lessons it taught. My youngest daughter found me a copy of it one year and gave it to me as a birthday gift. It then made the rounds through all the kids in our building (about 20) before being lost in the fire that left me homeless. Years later, my darling wife bought me a copy of the trilogy and wrote to the author seeking an autograph and explaining my history with the book. She wrote back, enclosing a signed and inscribed bookplate for the inside cover of the book.

Though written for young adults the trilogy of books are still an enjoyable read for many adults. I've not seen the movie but if it stayed true to the book it would be quite interesting.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Welcome to Zombie Squad and I must say; a very intriguing question for your first post. Well done!

This is probably more abstract than you were looking for, the movie Take Shelter helped me understand importance of keeping my preps on the down low. No so much because it'll make you a potential target in a SHTF situation (although it most certainly will), but because the average person's "normalcy bias" will make it difficult for them to understand what I'm doing; perhaps make me seem a little crazy to those who don't get it. A little less of an issue in 2020, but most people still aren't ready to accept the possibility of a near or total societal collapse, even to this day.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:16 pm

Like N23po, my books have become movies, but reading Alas Babylon and Z for Zachariah in middle school struck chords with me. Pile on that I was mostly a sci-fi reader (Heinlein, et al) and it kinda stuck. I dont prep super deep, but I have enough to make a run at it, and my preps get deeper every day...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 pm

For movies I have to say Dawn of the Dead (2004). It showed how a group is only as good as the people in it, a weak link or two and you're all screwed. It also got me thinking about geographic areas that are better to ride out a total collapse, which is a good mental exercise.

And it may seem odd, but Escape From New York, Total Recall and Judge Dredd got me thinking about how societies will organize in a collapse scenario or scarcity situation. All the movies are over the top, of course, but shows that organized subcultures, like criminal organizations, will likely rule areas if existing law no longer does.

In my youth is was Mad Max and Red Dawn that got me interested in being prepared in general- just having a few skills and goods can make such a difference in a disaster scenario like that, and outlook and a support group are key.

10 Cloverfield Lane is a great look at survival in a bunker, I was thoughtful about the approaches taken in that movie. It was really well done, I thought.

If we go into books the top of my list is Lights Out by David Crawford (HalfFast). It really showcased the difference between community and buying stuff.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

JoeGrayman

Post by JoeGrayman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:46 pm
Welcome to Zombie Squad and I must say; a very intriguing question for your first post. Well done!

This is probably more abstract than you were looking for, the movie Take Shelter helped me understand importance of keeping my preps on the down low. No so much because it'll make you a potential target in a SHTF situation (although it most certainly will), but because the average person's "normalcy bias" will make it difficult for them to understand what I'm doing; perhaps make me seem a little crazy to those who don't get it. A little less of an issue in 2020, but most people still aren't ready to accept the possibility of a near or total societal collapse, even to this day.

So I went out and found the movie "Take Shelter". The first hour or so I thought the guy was crazy, and was just watching it while I worked on the computer at home - but by the time they were in the shelter --- holy @@@@. Couldn't peel me away. You are spot on with your takeaway from the movie. I live in farm country where we give people directions to our house like "turn off the paved road and drive till you hear banjos". And, even out here I wouldn't dare talk about my preps. OPSEC is still vital here. Rural America today isn't like it was 50 years ago. Today the city has moved in and taken over the under 40 crowd. They are as oblivious as are most urban dwellers. We moved here from Houston, TX just 2 years ago and it seemed that the Houstonians were more in tune with the need to prep than are the people where we moved. So, yes - I definitely agree with your takeaway. And MANY thanks for the movie suggestion. Loved it!

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:08 pm

I've never seen the movie The Postman, but the book had a line that really impacted me. Something to the effect how everyone had so much ammo stocked that everyone was still shooting at one another 20 years after the collapse, but nobody had ever stocked enough water purification or medical supplies to last more than a few months.

I should probably buy more water purification and medical supplies. Cause I might have enough ammo for a decade or two if I was real careful. :lol:

I honestly can't think of much a movie taught me other than don't do what most movie characters do.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:32 am

I grew up with duck & cover drills. We watched movies like this in class.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogiYqRF ... AtomicWolf

This coupled with the lectures from our teachers on the subject (They were ww2 veterans) were quite sobering about the need to prepare.
One lecture about the aftermath of the Occupation of Japan and what that teacher witnessed first hand left quite an impression on me. He said that firearms and ammo were basically worthless as weapons of war, even nukes were only useful to facilitate main weapons of war which were starvation and disease.

The lesson taught that was that surviving an event is easy. The hard part would be the long term outcome and depended upon mundane things like sanitation, clean water and a steady food supply.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:05 am

raptor2 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:32 am

This coupled with the lectures from our teachers on the subject (They were ww2 veterans) were quite sobering about the need to prepare. One lecture about the aftermath of the Occupation of Japan and what that teacher witnessed first hand left quite an impression on me. He said that firearms and ammo were basically worthless as weapons of war, even nukes were only useful to facilitate main weapons of war which were starvation and disease. The lesson taught was that surviving an event is easy. The hard part would be the long term outcome and depended upon mundane things like sanitation, clean water and a steady food supply.
Thank you for this link. I really, really get into this part of history :D

You know about CONELRAD, yeah?

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:59 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:05 am
raptor2 wrote:

This coupled with the lectures from our teachers on the subject (They were ww2 veterans) were quite sobering about the need to prepare. One lecture about the aftermath of the Occupation of Japan and what that teacher witnessed first hand left quite an impression on me. He said that firearms and ammo were basically worthless as weapons of war, even nukes were only useful to facilitate main weapons of war which were starvation and disease. The lesson taught was that surviving an event is easy. The hard part would be the long term outcome and depended upon mundane things like sanitation, clean water and a steady food supply.

Yes.
We were also instructed in the use of CD geiger counters & dosage meters.
That lesson was interesting as child. Being told that basically if you need this you will likely die from radiation is kind of sobering.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:57 am

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:59 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:05 am
raptor2 wrote:

Yes. We were also instructed in the use of CD geiger counters & dosage meters.
That lesson was interesting as child. Being told that basically if you need this you will likely die from radiation is kind of sobering.
I love sites like these, the view back into that period in time. It's kitshy, but also informative :D

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm

My first foray into prepping was Hatchet by Brian Paulsen... Read it as a kid. What a rush
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:08 pm
I've never seen the movie The Postman, but the book had a line that really impacted me. Something to the effect how everyone had so much ammo stocked that everyone was still shooting at one another 20 years after the collapse, but nobody had ever stocked enough water purification or medical supplies to last more than a few months.

I should probably buy more water purification and medical supplies. Cause I might have enough ammo for a decade or two if I was real careful. :lol:

I honestly can't think of much a movie taught me other than don't do what most movie characters do.
The postman is also my pick, and also for a line VERY early on: it was the one about how so many of his friends died from horrible oral infections. I read the book young enough to probably save my parents thousands in dental bills.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 pm

WillyWinchester wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm
My first foray into prepping was Hatchet by Brian Paulsen... Read it as a kid. What a rush
Same here. Hatchet was my first foray into those kind of books. Loved it. Actually still have it believe it or not. As far as books a few that stuck with me since then was "Alas, Babylon", "One Second After", "Lucifer's Hammer", "The Postman", "The Road" and "Tomorrow War 1 & 2". All of them show what can/will happen in extreme versions of different PAW's, and what will happen if you don't prepare...

As far as movies "Red Dawn", "The Night Eats the World", "28 Days Later", 12 Monkey's" "Contagion " and "Quiet Place" are all good movies that helped me. All of these were movies that made me think what could I do to improve these my families chances to survive this, How to implement it, and that all plans will fail, better have plans A-Z lined up...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:47 pm

My side of the Mountain, the cub scout magazine, Boy's Life and Hatchet by Gary Paulsen were the very beginning. Along with tales of Daniel Boone. As far as movies, I found Panic in Year Zero right about the same time I found ZS
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:48 pm

Brekar wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:56 pm
WillyWinchester wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:10 pm
Same here. Hatchet was my first foray into those kind of books. Loved it. Actually still have it believe it or not. As far as books a few that stuck with me since then was "Alas, Babylon", "One Second After", "Lucifer's Hammer", "The Postman", "The Road" and "Tomorrow War 1 & 2". All of them show what can/will happen in extreme versions of different PAW's, and what will happen if you don't prepare...

As far as movies "Red Dawn", "The Night Eats the World", "28 Days Later", 12 Monkey's" "Contagion " and "Quiet Place" are all good movies that helped me. All of these were movies that made me think what could I do to improve these my families chances to survive this, How to implement it, and that all plans will fail, better have plans A-Z lined up...
Hatchet still gets to me to be honest, and when my kid's old enough to read it... You bet he's gonna.
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:10 pm

My 10 year old has read Hatchet from cover to cover several times now. As well as Call of the Wild and White Fang. All great books.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”