The Witcher

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

The Witcher

Post by Stercutus » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Binge watched this the other night.
Witchers are mutants, men subjected to gruelling training and flesh-altering experiments that prepare them for one purpose: to kill monsters. Geralt was forged at the elite School of the Wolf and is considered one of the deadliest witchers ever trained.
So Superman comes to Netflix and enters a Game of Thrones type universe. Almost like a Conan but with a conscience and classically trained and mutated instead of thrown in a pit for a few decades. Almost like Game of Thrones but with the boring politics toned way back and told from the perspective of the wizards... errr sorcerers. Like Beowulf but without the extra tragedy and instead some odd tribal lore.

Geralt does not give a rat's hindquarters for the politics. He simply runs around slaying monsters. He is very good at it. He just kind of rubs against the politics when things happen.

Geralt has an annoying, unlikeable bard follower, a witch who unfortunately is cured of her hunchback condition and few other camp followers and red shirts from time to time. But the story is all Geralt and his "surprise child".

Production value is high. Lots of CGI that is good to high quality. Not $200million dollar movie high but still very good for what it is. I enjoyed the sequence with the sword spider and the swamp monster. Actors are nicely layered and competent. One dimensional actors are red shirts and killed off right away. Cavill gives a solid performance through the whole series.

There is plenty of violence to go around. Most of it is monster slaying or people being killed with medieval style weapons and spell effects. Episode five is the dirty sex episode. There is a fair amount of nudity throughout the show but they really went for it in Ep5.

The story is told out of sequence with confusing flashbacks that require watching at least the first four episodes before it starts coming together. Really it does not full come together until the last episode. Some of the episodes wax Shakespearian from time to time, mostly when dealing with royalty and fate. I found these to be the better episodes.

I give it about 8 of 10 on the watchable index. I recommend if you are in to this kind of thing.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: The Witcher

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:55 pm

I plan to watch it. I have read a couple of the books in the series and they were pretty good. The guy who wrote it is Polish and was born in 1948. I don't know why I found that interesting but I did. I guess there aren't a lot of books I know of set in a mythical med-evil Polish like society.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Return to “Zombie Training Films”