The Postman

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Postman

Post by teotwaki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Moderately flawed movie but I find myself still watching it :mrgreen:

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: The Postman

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Yea, it's watchable but dang it's so long and not in a good way. I think maybe Kostner should have let the editors do the editing. As he got older all his movies seemed to get longer and longer.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 am

The Twizzler wrote:Yea, it's watchable but dang it's so long and not in a good way. I think maybe Kostner should have let the editors do the editing. As he got older all his movies seemed to get longer and longer.

At least these days we can efficiently fast forward through movies on disc or DVRs!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:15 pm

I've always viewed this movie as "Fallout: New Vegas the movie", but the similarities are pretty minimal considering Kevin Costner doesn't begin the film getting shot in the head and he doesn't end up chasing Matthew Perry throughout the wastelands. :lol:

Still, it's a pretty good movie despite the 9 hour (or so it seems) run time.

Hell, even Costner's western flick "Open Range" tops out at around 3 hours with the last hour or so being the best part.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 pm

It is is long and the whole outcome depends upon a group of brigands honoring their rules. :roll: The epilogue is as banal as the movie is long.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:32 pm

As much as I hate to be that guy, the books is pretty darn good. I was always curious about the movie, but ended up reading the book before seeing the movie and was very confused when I finally saw it. I can't say I blame the movie makers, the book wouldn't translate all that well.

Still, either made Oregon cool before Dies the Fire...
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:30 am

The Postman and Waterworld were two devastating blows to Kevin Coster's career. It took the brilliant Open Range to restore credibility as a director.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:As much as I hate to be that guy, the books is pretty darn good. I was always curious about the movie, but ended up reading the book before seeing the movie and was very confused when I finally saw it. I can't say I blame the movie makers, the book wouldn't translate all that well.

Still, either made Oregon cool before Dies the Fire...
Yep the book was a lot better. Though the author did get a bit of grief for the whole militia portrayal, he was cool enough to make an apology and explanation. Saying if he had it to do over he would have done it differently and he understands not all militia and survivalists are like that.

Funny thing about book vs movie for Costner stuff is Dances with Wolves. The movie is actually 500% better. The book was cheep pulp that was obvious the author had never spoken to an actual Native American and had done no research on them. The book barely has any resemblance to the movie other than the general premise and set up. I suspect Costner read the book as a kid, and thought it was the most amazing thing ever because he was just a kid. As an adult he reread it and realized just how bad the book was so made the movie to make the story fit his childhood imagining of what the book had been.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:06 am

I would still like to see Lucifers hammer or The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress would scare the hell out of some people and they would never want anyone on the moon again. There goes any idea of a Moon colony.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:20 pm

I think this one's better.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 am

jor-el wrote:I think this one's better.

Um, o-k.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 pm

I thought that The Postman & Waterworld were decent movies. I also didn't mind Battlefield Earth. BE had no basis in reality, but it wasn't a bad story.

grennels

Post by grennels » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 pm

MacAttack wrote:I would still like to see Lucifers hammer or The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress would scare the hell out of some people and they would never want anyone on the moon again. There goes any idea of a Moon colony.

YES!
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Return to “Zombie Training Films”