Videos to convert non-preppers

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Videos to convert non-preppers

Post by Maeklos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:42 am

I thought it might be a good idea to come up with a list of videos to show non-preppers/non-survivalists/etc in order to get them to take the ideas of preparedness a bit more seriously. 'Edutainment' is probably a better bet than strictly educational, but anything that's interesting and might possibly get people to at least take a little more thought about things that might happen would be good.

First up is good ol' Rob Dyke. His show reminds me of those shows from the 80's and 90's with a narrator standing in some vague location and talking in a serious voice about strange things, like Unsolved Mysteries (with good ol' Robert Stack) or that show with Jonathan Frakes from the 90's. Um...Fact or Fiction?

Anyway, here's a video about 5 devastating natural disasters that could happen at any time:

Next on to Dark5 which does 5-item lists of some pretty interesting/insane/strange things. I like it because there's no voiceover, just text. Here's their video on the 5 Strangest Man-Made Disasters:

So, if folks have any videos about things that could happen or have happen and might be worth showing to people outside of the survival community, let's see 'em.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Re: Videos to convert non-preppers

Post by Maeklos » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 am

Another fun one from Dark5: 5 Times the United States Almost Nuked Itself.

Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:01 am

I strongly recommend "Contagion" all-star cast, credible scenario, easily relatable issues that address food storage, sheltering in place, PPE and a realistic need for fire arms without looking like Rambo
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:31 am

Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:23 am

I just watched this The Blackout a 2014 film. Set in a small Massachusetts town, it follows three story lines during a national blackout of unknown origin. One line is a yuppie couple, one is a group of backpackers, and the last line is a man who is well prepared.

It doesn't look at the big picture, but unfolds slowly across the three story arcs. The descent into desperation is pretty credible. I'm sure there are plenty of technical errors. I wondered where is the AM band Emergency broadcast Service. Generators should have kept that running for several days.

I think this is a movie that would make several conversions.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Not trying to piss on the thread, but I have problems getting people to even start to consider prepping, much less taking it more seriously.

For example, my family and I (parents and siblings) all survived the '94 Northridge 6.7 earthquake together just a mile away from the epicenter, with no preps. We got by with the kindness of strangers. My take away from it is to start prepping and I am confident that my now family (wife and kids) can survive a major earthquake with little hardship. But I can't get my siblings to do any preparation whatsoever. I got one to store some cases of bottled water, but I found out later that they drank it all!

I got my wife more on board with preps by gently asking "what should we do if..." after watching movies that had protagonists experiencing some hardships (not necessarily doom-and-gloom disaster movies). I've found that jumping straight into OMG END OF THE WORLD is counterproductive if the person is not even interested at all. Starting with smaller stuff like 'what would you do if you were stuck on the side of the road with no cell phone reception?' is more immediate and a better start in broaching the subject.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm

norcalprep wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Not trying to piss on the thread, but I have problems getting people to even start to consider prepping, much less taking it more seriously.

For example, my family and I (parents and siblings) all survived the '94 Northridge 6.7 earthquake together just a mile away from the epicenter, with no preps. We got by with the kindness of strangers. My take away from it is to start prepping and I am confident that my now family (wife and kids) can survive a major earthquake with little hardship. But I can't get my siblings to do any preparation whatsoever. I got one to store some cases of bottled water, but I found out later that they drank it all!

I got my wife more on board with preps by gently asking "what should we do if..." after watching movies that had protagonists experiencing some hardships (not necessarily doom-and-gloom disaster movies). I've found that jumping straight into OMG END OF THE WORLD is counterproductive if the person is not even interested at all. Starting with smaller stuff like 'what would you do if you were stuck on the side of the road with no cell phone reception?' is more immediate and a better start in broaching the subject.
Great advice. This has been my experience as well.

EDIT:

I've said before, my wife approaches prepping differently. She wants a reliable car and money in the bank. I want a pile of gear. We don't quite "compromise," but rather I work hard towards the reliable car and money in the bank, and a little goes towards bullets, beans, and bandaids. We try to prioritize according to the likelihood of any particular events. And honestly, I'm prepped for anything remotely likely, but we would not be as comfortable as I would like. But we would not die. Probably. So prepping in our house is full of compromises. And we are working on going camping more often. For my brother....and his wife....I think experiencing flooding in Los Angeles in 2017(?) woke them up, but I don't know how awake they are. My dad is looking around and is a bit concerned. He has a pistol now, and a good garden, but no real supplies of anything. First steps are good though.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:50 pm
Great advice. This has been my experience as well.

EDIT:

I've said before, my wife approaches prepping differently. She wants a reliable car and money in the bank. I want a pile of gear. We don't quite "compromise," but rather I work hard towards the reliable car and money in the bank, and a little goes towards bullets, beans, and bandaids. We try to prioritize according to the likelihood of any particular events. And honestly, I'm prepped for anything remotely likely, but we would not be as comfortable as I would like. But we would not die. Probably. So prepping in our house is full of compromises. And we are working on going camping more often. For my brother....and his wife....I think experiencing flooding in Los Angeles in 2017(?) woke them up, but I don't know how awake they are. My dad is looking around and is a bit concerned. He has a pistol now, and a good garden, but no real supplies of anything. First steps are good though.
Thanks, woodsghost.

But these videos still are pretty useful, Maeklos, so thank you for compiling this. I'm sure that while there are people in our lives (family and close friends) that we would be willing to take the time to slowly bring them into prepping, the majority of others (coworkers? neighbors?) we are not emotionally invested enough to make the effort over months to years it takes to *maybe* bring them around. For those, videos such as these are worth a try. Then, if these coworkers and neighbors are actually interested, to sit down with them and ease them in.

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:20 am

I totally agree that you can’t say “we need to prepare for civil unrest, watch this video honey”

That’s why I recommended a movie like Contagion. Matt Damon plays an Everyman in a highly lethal pandemic.

Afterwards is a great idea to say, “wow remember when there were those Ebola cases in Houston, i guess we are all interconnected. What would we do if that happened here?”

I also enrolled all my kids in Scouting. Not only is it a great program, but it gave me excuse for good sleeping bags and packs for all my sons and daughter as well as water filters, compact stoves and hammocks.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:57 pm

My friends/family and I will sometimes discuss movies after we've watched them, but I sort of keep it to a light touch on the topic, since none of them are really "preppers".

I've had more luck with sort of "stealth prepping" them via gifts for birthdays and such. Flashlights, knives, waterproof blankets (for the car), and other useful stuff. Because it's generally useful and not just end-of-the-world-useful, they don't realize the reason I did it. I even built emergency kits for some of my friends a couple of years ago, which were just cheap backpacks (one for each of their cars) with basic tools, first aid, toiletries, etc. in them. Interestingly, I've been told several times that things in the bag have come in useful - so they do appreciate having the stuff!

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:04 pm

make ahead meals that can be frozen is a good place to start with whoever is the cook of the household. Especially if it doesn't require specialized equipment like a dehydrator or canning equipment. There is The Homesteading Family on YouTube. I watch them and they are more into how to grow a garden and prep and store food properly.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Return to “Zombie Training Films”