Containment on CW

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stab74

Containment on CW

Post by Stab74 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Didn't know about this series until today when somebody on the Fear The Walking Dead subreddit clued me in to it. Watched the first episode a few hours ago. It's not perfect but I already like it better than FTWD. Looking forward to finding out if there are any relevant survival lessons to be learned in this one or is it going to be another "what not to do" survival series like most I end up watching. :lol: Description:
When a mysterious epidemic breaks out in Atlanta, an urban quarantine is enforced, leaving those inside to fight for their lives as local and federal officials search for a cure. Police officer Lex Carnahan works to keep the peace, but the situation becomes personal when he learns his girlfriend Jana and his best friend Jake are both stuck in the cordoned area. Also trapped with the infected are 17-year-old Teresa, who is very pregnant and separated from her boyfriend, elementary teacher Katie Frank, who is on lockdown with her entire class, and CDC researcher Dr. Victor Cannerts. Public trust deteriorates as a journalist, Leo, begins chasing down a conspiracy that unravels the official story.
Watch to pilot on CW for free here.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Containment on CW

Post by ineffableone » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm

So far I have been pleasantly surprised by this series. I didn't expect much being a CW show, but so far it has been fairly decently done. I like that they are taking their time, and not just skipping through things. This is the sort of thing I had wished FTWD had done, shown the actual chaos of the initial outbreak, show attempts to contain it, show the chaos in a big epic manor. I had to force myself to finish watching the 1st season of FTWD after getting fed up with the show 2 episodes from the end of the season. I have been ignoring it this season of FTWD as I don't see it as being worth following. After the season is over I will likely give it a binge watch, if I can even make it though that is.

Funny part is Containment is in Atlanta GA, so one could almost make believe this is what was going on while Rick was in a coma in WD.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:06 am

Yeah the second episode was pretty good as well. I was impressed when they reinforced the temporary fence perimeter with shipping containers stacked 3 high when they extended the quarantine indefinitely. Someone's put some thought into this show.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 am

Stab74 wrote:Yeah the second episode was pretty good as well. I was impressed when they reinforced the temporary fence perimeter with shipping containers stacked 3 high when they extended the quarantine indefinitely. Someone's put some thought into this show.
Yep the shipping container wall was pretty impressive. Notice one that is turned 90 degrees to the others and sticks in that looks like it can be used as a gated door to enter and leave the area.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon May 02, 2016 6:12 am

I honestly don't know how many times I've pointed at people in this show and said 'Dead, dead, going to be dead."

Apparently the virus is stupidity.

Good show to show people what NOT to do.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 02, 2016 4:48 pm

NamelessStain wrote:I honestly don't know how many times I've pointed at people in this show and said 'Dead, dead, going to be dead."

Apparently the virus is stupidity.

Good show to show people what NOT to do.
These days, that is pretty much any show dealing with some sort of catastrophe. They almost never show intelligent choices made by main characters. It tends to instead be one horrible choice after the next, even when the characters have survived long enough they should have learned better. Like in Walking Dead. Team Shit Magnet should be make much better choices than they end up making, but they fall into the same dumb decision making expected by the target audience to make better drama for the show.

So as someone ahead of the curve compared to the normal viewing audience, I don't let myself get too worked up over the whole poor choices. I notice them and like you mentioned, use them as teaching examples of what not to do for nonprepper friends.

Something I do think was a smart decision on this show, though it is part of the basic set up and premise, is the immediate set up of a quarantine zone. A 100% fatal virus breaks out and rather than stupid people letting it escape into a wider population, they actually contained it fast and efficiently. Something we tend to complain about a lot is how often this is not done in movies and TV.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Well episode 3 wasn't too bad, still a lot of setting up the world.

Something I would have liked to see in this episode is a propaganda war against the fearmongering conspiracy journalist. There were several opportunities to show positive team work, or people making the best of the quarantine that could have been filmed and posted. I would have liked it if they had actually used this as a way to show the flip side of the fearmongering. For example the kids playing ball on the roof, making due with a bad situation yet still able to play and have fun. Giving the world a view of something other than conspiracy theory and devastation as a mental image of what is happening inside the quarantine would have been a wise move. Instead they let the fearmonger go unchallenged, other than ordering the nice cop to "shut him down" then blaming the nice cop for not doing so. If the woman in charge had the power to cut phone and internet, she should have done so to stop the fearmonger rather than order the nice cop to shut him down. She had to know that would go nowhere, he wouldn't disappear the guy or blackmail him or anything underhanded. There was nothing but asking nicely that the cop could do going by his decent morality. But the woman in charge could have circumvented the whole showing dead bodies issue by unplugging the zone, and she didn't until after the fact. her morality compass is obviously much looser than the nice cop.

I have the feeling there will be a lot more moments where I will wish they did something differently like the above example. Like most shows, this one is not made for thinking people but mindless masses. So the standard tropes will come into effect more than not. But I do like that there is some differences, like the cops actually being generally decent. Are there bad cops, sure, but not every cop is a bad person. So nice to see them show some decent cops for a change, who are stuck in crappy situations and just doing their best. Also the nice cop's girlfriend leaving the guys who went for food in the air lock, I loved it. Super smart to have a bit of rational decision making happening.

Over all still say I prefer this to FTWD. While not perfect the characters in Containment have some relatability that FTWD just didn't do for me. And so far Containment isn't speeding up the clock and skipping the important chaos of the outbreak. Something FTWD really screwed up doing. I would say the majority of people were excited to see the chaos of the outbreak unfold and that was why they tuned into FTWD, when the show just fast forwarded from outbreak to military safe zone, it lost a lot of viewers. Then to cap it they fudged the massive herd skimping on showing how big the herd was and the overtaking of the hospital.

I hope Containment doesn't make similar mistakes. And so far while not being an amazing show, has been decent enough to keep me watching.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm

ineffableone wrote:Something I do think was a smart decision on this show, though it is part of the basic set up and premise, is the immediate set up of a quarantine zone. A 100% fatal virus breaks out and rather than stupid people letting it escape into a wider population, they actually contained it fast and efficiently. Something we tend to complain about a lot is how often this is not done in movies and TV.
Agreed. While there's always going to be stupid individuals in shows like this it does seem the government is behaving rationally and is open with the public about what they know. I believe in TWD universe the government tried to suppress knowledge of zombies until it was too late. If I recall the government behaved the same way with the super flu outbreak in The Stand, going so far as to shoot a radio host and sending in helicopters to take out someone else who was trying to warn the public.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Well this show still has my attention. I liked how Mr Nice Cop, Aex AKA Lex, (I need to start using people's names when talking about the show rather than my nicknames for them) is getting sick of the Feds using him as a mouthpiece and he is starting to rebel from them. The "reporter" guy, Leo, still annoys the crap out of me and I had wished they had combated his fear mongering with positive images. Him helping the kid, Xander, break into the quarantine zone was just stupidity. Especially since despite all his so called lofty morals, he didn't do it to get to the truth but to find out about his sick friends. Xander, while sort of annoying at times, is still relatable. The guy is completely driven to protect his girl and baby. I think any parent can understand that.

Something I think would actually be done in Real Life version of this is Lex's idea of using the containers as quarantine slews gates. I actually love they seem to make points to bring up these sort of "in RL this might be done" concepts, but shoot them down for the sake of the show and drama. But bringing a small group of survivors to the gate containers, have them stay inside for 48 hrs, bring them out, rinse repeat. Sure it would take awhile and there is a possibility of loosing an entire container of people, but it would show the world you are actively trying to save the uninfected inside the zone. You could even take the people to a secure 2nde quarintine after the container to be extra safe, so each person has to spend a solitary 48 hrs symptom free. Doing something like this would bringing the tensions and security issues down greatly on the outside. As well as it would give the people inside some hope. Of course you would have to be careful of not causing a flood of people trying to be chosen to go into the the containers, but I imagine there would be some good practical ways to do it. Of course if they did this the show would be pretty short and not have the conflict and crisis to make it fun to watch so understandable the idea isn't used in the show. As I mentioned I like how this show sort of gives us these ideas that would be practical in the real world, sort of heading off the disbelief and internet quarterbacks. As well as just giving us ideas of better ways to handle the situation if it wasn't a TV show.

I have a feeling the show might be picking up the pace here soon, they have done a lot of slower sort of character building and I think they will jump into some action and excitement here soon. Though being CW, I don't think they will ever stray too much from character and emotional plot. That is just something to expect from that network.

Still not an amazing Wow this is great TV show, but still a solid show that delivers a story I don't have to ask WTF every few minutes. Worth watching and also material for a good convo starter with nonpreppers about virus and pandemic issues of prepping.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Looks like Containment got the axe, according to Yahoo.

http://www.yahoo.com/tv/tv-canceled-sho ... 40336.html
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat May 14, 2016 1:35 am

Maeklos wrote:Looks like Containment got the axe, according to Yahoo.

http://www.yahoo.com/tv/tv-canceled-sho ... 40336.html
Yep the containment wiki page says "The CW canceled the series on May 12, 2016" Though looks like they will at least be airing the rest of the season.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Wed May 18, 2016 11:08 am

Because of this thread I just binge-watched the 5 available episodes on Hulu. This definately has my interest more than FTWD, even with no Nick the Junkie character.
It can always get worse.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Those cancel happy bastids..... Same ones that killed Star Trek I'll bet :lol:

I am watching an episode a day when I can. On #3 today
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Yes it is rather sad this got the axe, as it is a decent show. But then that seems the TV formula. Cancel anything worth watching, but keep renewing the worst crap and promote the hell out of it if it struggles. If a good show is doing well, move it's time slot to confuse fans and make it difficult for them and make the advertising confusing and unrepresentative of the show. If they keep watching move it again and pull all advertising for it until the ratings drop enough to justify canceling it.

A little surprising too how the cancellation was announced mid season. Sort of takes the wind out of the sails for the show knowing it is on borrowed time.

Still loving how the show is busting tropes, and showing some intelligence. Teacher discovers a conspiracy and cover up, finds the cop and tries to tell him, he complains about having a bad day and wants to post pone the convo. And she gives no sympathy and makes him listen as this is dire and important info.

Love it. Any other movie or TV would have had them part without discussing what she uncovered, and then she mysteriously gets killed or kidnapped etc to prevent her info from being shared. Now not only did she share with him but then he shared the info with Lex passing the info up the chain and outside of the quarantine.

It is this kind of stuff that makes this show so enjoyable to watch. Character actions that make sense and are understandable.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Wed May 18, 2016 3:16 pm

These days, cancellation is not necessarily the death of a show. Could be a company like Netflix might pick it up if it's got a good enough fan base and the original studio will let go of the rights.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Well this show is losing me. Feels like they are trying to out drama twd now. The cop love story, the cop commander love story, the cop commander coming to grips with his job. The pregnant couple and the teen who doesn't get along with her mom. The incredibly unlikely endless tweaker attack. I thought I was watching Aliens for a second with them coming out of the floor! And the mom gets bit? I think I've got to go back to books to find good prepper fiction, I can't take all this garbage which keeps ending up on tv.

Maeklos

Post by Maeklos » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:06 am

To be fair, they probably had to smash a bunch of stuff together after they found out their show got cancelled.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:13 pm

Maeklos wrote:To be fair, they probably had to smash a bunch of stuff together after they found out their show got cancelled.
Agree! With cancellation comes the freedom to kill off anyone rather than protect them through enactment of ridiculous plot twists.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 am

How many episodes are there supposed to be? Hulu has 9, finished them all last night.

...wondering if they're just gonna end the whole thing with a bunch of napalm.
It can always get worse.

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:17 pm

Someone call for Napalm? :clap:
Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

Angry Sapper
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, but not 28 weeks.

More of a reader than a watcher.
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland. Where the best chippie in the world is.

Post by Angry Sapper » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:30 am

This started airing in the UK last night. What more can you ask for.

1. Uncontrollable Virus
2. Them evil people from the Middle East.
3. Bio-Terrorism
4. Claudia Black.

Had a thing for her since Farscape.
Follow the Sapper, we're the ones with the explosives, and usually have the best bar set up before anyone else gets here.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:31 pm

Angry Sapper wrote:This started airing in the UK last night. What more can you ask for.

1. Uncontrollable Virus
2. Them evil people from the Middle East.
3. Bio-Terrorism
4. Claudia Black.

Had a thing for her since Farscape.
Well could ask for a 2nd season. But yes, the show had a lot going for it. Even some interesting plot twists I wont spoil for you since your just starting.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Zombie Training Films”