Standard zombie movie plot-devices

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZomBiomics
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28d

Standard zombie movie plot-devices

Post by ZomBiomics » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Help me with this fun game... We have to try and list all the standard zombie plot-devices. For example, I will start:

1) The Hidden Bite: A cowardly character is hiding a bite from the other characters, and is destined to turn just at the wrong moment...
2) One of the Hero's family has been bitten, and they are faced with a stark moral dilemma... will they make the brave choice, or risk endangering themselves and others?
...etc...

feanor

Re: Standard zombie movie plot-devices

Post by feanor » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:25 am

The hidden bite also works for vampire flicks.
Only one I can think of right now transcends to all horror/thriller: I'll be back in a minute...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:33 am

The disbelieving character who dies early on after refusing to heed the main characters' warnings that their friend/family member isn't a human anymore.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:37 pm

A lot of them are built around character set ups and go to many horror films:

- The racist/ misogynist is forced to accept/ respect the person of a different race/ gender to survive
- The quiet geeky guy outlasts the loud, proud, fit athletes who don't listen to him
- People who decide to have inappropriate sex during the ZPAW get turned into zombie chow mid coitus
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

ZomBiomics

Post by ZomBiomics » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:A lot of them are built around character set ups and go to many horror films:

- The racist/ misogynist is forced to accept/ respect the person of a different race/ gender to survive
- The quiet geeky guy outlasts the loud, proud, fit athletes who don't listen to him
- People who decide to have inappropriate sex during the ZPAW get turned into zombie chow mid coitus
Nice post, there is almost a sub-game in here (i.e. character set-ups / conflicts). The Walking Dead is basically a master class in this, and it goes to show how great zombies are for setting up conflicts either between characters or within a single character... e.g.
The boy who has to grow up to fast.
The cop who has to kill in cold blood.
The loner who realizes he needs other people.
The man who decides that all remaining life is sacred is put into conflict with.... just about everyone who is left alive.
Those who are not mentally robust cause problems for those who are coping OK (either through stupidity or madness)

etc... please, more examples the better!

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:48 pm

The tyrannical group leader
The mysterious safe place everyone keeps hearing about
The always same expression news caster reporting that people are "coming back to life"

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:11 pm

"Scared girl runs, trips, and falls". I hate that one.
It can always get worse.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:56 pm

DFWMTX wrote:"Scared girl runs, trips, and falls". I hate that one.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Great topic. This should be a contest.
I love the introduction of an old mine.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:19 am

Going alone to investigate a noise,even when they know many others have been wasted that way.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:44 am

There's almost always one character that wants to sit tight and wait for the Gub'mint to come and rescue them, which leads to filler drama between themselves and the ones that want to GTFO.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:31 am

ManInBlack316 wrote:The tyrannical group leader
The mysterious safe place everyone keeps hearing about
The always same expression news caster reporting that people are "coming back to life"

Nailed it, especially with the reporter.

The angsty lone-wolf spouting "get out of my way if you wanna stay alive" lines that generally comes around and sacrifices his own life for a stupid character later on.

The treacherous individual that will go out of his way to throw someone under the bus in order to seize power or take advantage of a situation even when it nets him a very minimal gain.

The "weapons-expert" that preaches ammo conservation but ends up closing the distance with Zeds and hipfiring or dual-wielding into a crowd (Although I find it completely acceptable when Tallahassee did this).

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:07 pm

The under-appreciated war veteran or kung fu fighter that must first suffer punishment from the omnipresent local law enforcement authority before escaping into the urban or rural wilderness where he uses his 36 inch custom knife to defeat everyone except for the secret person that invites him to join the secret group that can save the world. Ooops. Wrong genre.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

DesertGator33

Post by DesertGator33 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:The under-appreciated war veteran or kung fu fighter that must first suffer punishment from the omnipresent local law enforcement authority before escaping into the urban or rural wilderness where he uses his 36 inch custom knife to defeat everyone except for the secret person that invites him to join the secret group that can save the world. Ooops. Wrong genre.

ZomBiomics

Post by ZomBiomics » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:42 am

DFWMTX wrote:"Scared girl runs, trips, and falls". I hate that one.
I dunno - personally I kind of like this.... there is something about the schadenfreude that is especially enjoyable when the person is pretty, vain, stupid and arrogant. But then again, I am a misanthrope :-)

The one that I always hate is when people are escaping from a horde over a fence/wall, and then they have to scramble as the Z's are grabbing at their ankle/shoes.

Walls and barriers also are great for macro-level plotting. Will the wall survive the relentless pressure of the amassing horde?

Storm Crow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead re-make

Post by Storm Crow » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Individual or group belief that the zombies are either just like us/misunderstood/just sick/holy that will either sacrifice the living to protect the ravenous dead, or actively seek to turn them into the ravenous dead. Could be one crazy kid feeding mice to zombies through the fence on up to a cult that seeks to add to the ranks of the blessed revenants.
Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

Forged blades: http://www.helmforge.com

Stock removal blades: http://www.helmgrind.com

The Wasteland Crow Project: http://wastelandcrow.blogspot.com

Return to “Zombie Training Films”