Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:21 pm

raistlin wrote:
CarolinaPeach wrote:Hmm, Madison as the main character? I'll allow that but it would be more enjoyable for me to see both her and Travis rising to the challenge being an effective team ( :awesome: ) and pulling everyone together. I'm sure there is a lot more coming that will bring out the grit in both of them.

The dynamics with the ex-wife being in the group might cause issues but that may be handled with an unfortunate event and her subsequent death that will cause even more tension between Chris and his dad.

Peach
Might not be good to kill her off. Liza is a nurse. She might be more useful to the "team" over the long run than Travis, whose main demonstrated "skill" so far has been pickup truck driving. (lol)
So far, I'm not really wanting to see any main character get killed off especially since we've barely had time to get to know any of them. Nursing skills would definitely be of use but I was pondering whether the possible death of his mother would be used to amp up the already evident tension between Chris and Travis, since deteriorating interpersonal relationships always make a bad situation worse.

I'm still reserving judgment on whether Travis is as useless as some think. He may not be jumping into things as physically as we'd like, but I do think his character's learning curve is going to increase dramatically, particularly as he realizes that this is all real, no one is coming to help, and they are going to be on their own. Things are clicking, maybe not as fast as we experienced viewers of such things would prefer, but they are clicking.

Peach

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:03 pm

I want to know why Travis feels the way he does about guns? He seems like the government will take care of us kinda guy.

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Maybe this is going to be one of those situations where a character may not like guns but it doesn't mean that the character can't use them efficiently when all else fails.

Peach

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:40 pm

ausher wrote:I want to know why Travis feels the way he does about guns? He seems like the government will take care of us kinda guy.
Not sure. I don't want to delve into the political, but growing up in California as I did, there was a stigma attached to them there. I don't know that his character is a native Californian or not, but I do know that there's a lot of that attitude there. Having his character act and feel as he does fits with the location.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:24 am

Re character, I'm a big fan of Lonnie Athens criminal personality making idea applied to non criminals as well- role models to the max.

Re accumulating weapons, so far a junkie in the church (stabbing another with a kitchen knife), and a school kid with a steak knife have done better than most of the cast.

So the soldiers were searching every house and marking on doors. When an epidemic is on, wouldn't this involve a basic physical exam on everyone they meet?
What happened when they got to the bedroom with Griselda with her injured ankle? I didn't see her being stretchered out, or anyone (including her family or new friends) asking to get an army medic/dr.

Since I've read they won't be going to the woods (or in their case desert) if that's true they'll have to stay either suburban (those people with the rendered brick/concrete houses with barred windows that Nick was trying to break into are going to have some advantage. Nick get yourself a screwdriver from you stepdads toolbox, dump that little thing you were using.), or find a large building- school, multistorey etc...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Red Tamarillo wrote: Nick get yourself a screwdriver from you stepdads toolbox, dump that little thing you were using.
Looks like he's already one step ahead of you.....unless you actually meant to say "get a pry bar". Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Red Tamarillo wrote: Nick get yourself a screwdriver from you stepdads toolbox, dump that little thing you were using.
Looks like he's already one step ahead of you.....unless you actually meant to say "get a pry bar". Image

He can't. His mom left that at the school when she went to break in to steal drugs. :lol:
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Going by the previews, I believe tonight's episode is where Nick gets buttstroked in the face by the Soldier. Or, in other words......

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:58 pm

Looks like our LT is in the 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team judging by the unit patch in the pic below. That's actually a California National Guard unit so good on the show for being accurate. His combat patch on the other shoulder is for 10th Mountain Division. I imagine he's seen time in Iraq or Afghanistan. I think Captain would have been a better rank for a guy leading the number of men he has but hey, maybe their old company commander got eaten.

"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:06 am

I was just looking at the patches myself....

Lt. Moyers with what looks like a 10th Mountain patch:

That Private that Ofelia was fraternizing with looks like he has a 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team patch:

And the first soldiers that came to the neighborhood look like they have 40th Infantry Division patches:

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:40 am

Didn't notice the 40th ID patch before. Good catch. All these soldiers should have the same unit patch. Guys attached from division HQ would just have the 40th ID patch so that makes sense.

EDIT: For anyone who doesn't know Army unit patches are on the left shoulder. Everyone has one. The right shoulder is for the combat patch. These aren't necessarily the same as unit patch and if the soldier had never deployed to a combat zone there won't be a patch.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:06 am

ausher wrote:I want to know why Travis feels the way he does about guns? He seems like the government will take care of us kinda guy.
Lotta teachers in urban areas don't like them, and their experience with them has often been negative. Not saying I agree with Travis, because I don't, but often it's only one or two steps away from wondering why Gabby Giffords is anti gun.

I went to HS in San Francisco in the 90s, and the AP History teacher there was a army vet and generally pro-gun(although I think he would have a been a Fudd). My Scoutmaster there was pro-gun(Vietnam vet). Essentially every other adult I met was anti-gun though.

nolongpork

Post by nolongpork » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:14 am

One strong reinforcement from this episode is: Don't rely on others to handle your business.

There are only two basic types of people:
ones that desire to control others and, those that do not.

If you do not control you and yours... you will be controlled by others.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:03 am

Well this episode went about like I expected. Slowly learning that the soldiers are not actually good guys protecting them, but actually bad guys imprisoning them.

I am a little annoyed Madison didn't pick that pistol up when it was just laying there for her. I would have been collecting as much guns and ammo as I could carry to bring back and arm my family, but then I am a lot different than her. I am guessing now they kidnapped her son she is wishing she had picked that gun up.

Which makes me wonder, what happened to that shotgun they took from the neighbor's house? Did the soldiers confiscate it? Or is it hiding in some closet somewhere?

At least Travis is finally waking up, seeing the signalling people get gunned down after the soldier lied saying no one was out there.

Wonder how many more episodes it will take for them to escape the soldiers? And then what?

That is the one good thing about FtWD, no comic to have already read to know what direction the story is going.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:21 am

And again someone walks past the only gun they have seen that could even be available.

And no one has organized a neighborhood committee. They are just relying on the military to set the leaders.

No community scrounge group organized to go through all the now empty homes and gather up the food and other perishables. Plus to gather up the firearms just for safety. We don't want any curious teens to get a hold of them and cause trouble.

And I am a bit surprised that the military units have not begun to commandeer more fuel efficient vehicles for standard transportation. At least for inside the fence work.

And again no one has a battery powered shortwave or even a simple AM radio to get news from outside the local area. Now that there are so few radio transmitters operating those that are still functioning should be able to be picked very faraway.
Even today I can pickup a broadcast almost 800 miles away at night.

And why is the addict swimming in the water supply?

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:12 am

They all still think it's a temporary thing, which is why they are acting the way they are.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:30 am

Mountainsquid wrote:They all still think it's a temporary thing, which is why they are acting the way they are.
Don't forget they are normal folks in an urban area...they tend to rely on the "system" for needs and protection in their everyday lives. Its a habit that's hard to break.

Rick Shaw
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rick Shaw » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 am

ineffableone wrote:
At least Travis is finally waking up, seeing the signalling people get gunned down after the soldier lied saying no one was out there.
I was unclear about this point.
Was there people actually signaling from this building or was it a kill house for the army?
Were the light flashes muzzle fire the entire time?

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:46 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
Was there people actually signaling from this building or was it a kill house for the army?
I believe it was survivors trying to signal for help. Since the concept of survivors outside of the so-called "safe zone" doesn't seem to fit into Lt. Carl Spackler's mission profile, he sent out some soldiers to tidy up the the inconvenience.

That man's clearly leadership material.

:roll:

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 am

Rick Shaw wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
What Chris saw was definitely mirror flashes. Then Madison saw flashlight flashes when there was no sun. So it was some sort of survivor trying to signal. Then when Travis was looking it was not just muzzle flashes but you could hear muffled gunfire. As already mentioned seems Travis mentioning the signalling, got the signaler killed as it did not fit in with the narrative the Lieutenant was pitching the captives...I mean citizens inside the prison...I mean safe zone.

I wonder if the signalling was actual Morris Code? Or just random flashes. I didn't have to take that to get my Ham and while I do want to learn it, I haven't yet. They never really held a shot of it long enough for me to tell if there was a pattern. But now that we know the soldiers are killing survivors outside the fence, it could have been someone trying to warn the folks in the fence? These soldiers have been going around killing anything outside the fence. I could see it as a warning possibly rather than a plea for help.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:24 am

Mountainsquid wrote:
Lotta teachers in urban areas don't like them, and their experience with them has often been negative. Not saying I agree with Travis, because I don't, but often it's only one or two steps away from wondering why Gabby Giffords is anti gun.

I went to HS in San Francisco in the 90s, and the AP History teacher there was a army vet and generally pro-gun(although I think he would have a been a Fudd). My Scoutmaster there was pro-gun(Vietnam vet). Essentially every other adult I met was anti-gun though.
Yep. Whether or not it's realistic, it's certainly a common movie/tv theme--even to the point of being a cliche--that the idealistic urban teacher is against fighting and guns due to gang and teen violence.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 am

Did the Lt. seem a bit old for an Lt.?
Mostly not here anymore.

Grit

Post by Grit » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:57 am

I am hoping the person trying to signal them is the kid from the high school

Return to “Zombie Training Films”