Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Just watched episode 3, Señora Salazar seems to be coping unrealistically remarkably well with her broken limb :shock:
Beyond that point I thought Episode3 had plenty of tense moments, though I'm still waiting for the plot line to really get going...
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:33 pm

I guess this is the airliner for the upcoming "Zombies On A Plane" webisodes.Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

RickOShea wrote:I guess this is the airliner for the upcoming "Zombies On A Plane" webisodes.Image

Yes! I thought the same thing
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the sound effect of a pump-action shotgun being cycled, right before Daniel blasted zombie Peter in the face with the O/U shotty. :crazy:
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:26 pm

RickOShea wrote:I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the sound effect of a pump-action shotgun being cycled, right before Daniel blasted zombie Peter in the face with the O/U shotty. :crazy:
Not being familiar with that sound, I wouldn't know :D

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:34 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:
RickOShea wrote:I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the sound effect of a pump-action shotgun being cycled, right before Daniel blasted zombie Peter in the face with the O/U shotty. :crazy:
I guess the usual gaggle of nitpickers aren't participating in this thread. Image

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:40 pm

LowKey wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:Can anyone tell me what that 'maze of death' was between Madison and Susan's house? Very effective for setting up a dramatic escape, but what the hell? I've seen elaborate trellises before, but that one reminded me not so much of a garden but of Carcosa's twig maze from True Detective.

Maybe they were trying to grow grapes? :?
Thank you. Grapes: that works for me. I just needed something to latch on to. It doesn't even have to the right answer, just a plausible one. It allows me to let it go and move on to the important stuff, like what a certain type of shotgun is supposed to sound like.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm

:clap:

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:18 pm

majorhavoc wrote: Raistlin, Flybynight:

Do you see how you two are pretty much just quoting each other?
If I don't quote him, he might never be able to see why he is wrong?

LOL--sorry. I couldn't resist :)
majorhavoc wrote: It's obvious you two disagree on an addict's functionality in the zombie apocalypse. Time to either drop it or take it to PMs.
I think we probably exhausted the topic :)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 pm

raistlin wrote:
majorhavoc wrote: Raistlin, Flybynight:

Do you see how you two are pretty much just quoting each other?
If I don't quote him, he might never be able to see why he is wrong?

LOL--sorry. I couldn't resist :)
majorhavoc wrote: It's obvious you two disagree on an addict's functionality in the zombie apocalypse. Time to either drop it or take it to PMs.
I think we probably exhausted the topic :)
Nah We just exhausted everyone's patience . sed tu tamen iniuriam
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Red Tamarillo

Post by Red Tamarillo » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:06 am

So far the series hasn't gripped me, but I'll keep watching.

I understand the story will be an arc from civilian to veteran/survivor (or you end up undead), and we're at the civilian stage, but I think it's insulting and makes it more unbelievable that the arc starts sub zero rather than zero i.e. you know riots are happening and people are being attacked and you don't even grab a baseball bat (or other sporting equipment), or butcher knife (from your knife block that every suburban home has).

I didn't expect a sweet shop kind of scene with a closet full of guns, but come on, bat or kitchen knife, civilians choice 101.

The scriptwriters deserve to be punished, they've dumbed down their characters too much.

It's more insulting to our intelligence that the El Salvadorean vet (who's shown he's desensitised from his actions with the shotgun), didn't even have a cut throat razor in his pocket, or hasn't scavenged the baseball bat or butchers knife from his host family, to protect his family. Afterall they're not being used.
He's not a civilian. It's out of character, and stupid.

I didn't like Cliff visiting the church with a piddly flashlight rather than a big Maglite, he fixed the sink, he's also got some tools. We've already seen a ballpein hammer.

I don't think they're going to the desert, I think the sister will steer them to Mt Weather.

What's also insulting to the Maori people is Cliff's character. There's a link in this thread which quotes Cliff as saying he doesn't have to hide his traditional pattern tattoos for this show.
So we have a Maori character who identifies with his cultural roots enough to have (tribal) tattoos, but who is scripted as being weak. Doesn't fit with the character (I'm born in New Zealand, non Maori).
Maori people come from a warrior tradition, suffer/ed racism in New Zealand, and there's (full contact) rugby.
(Cliff's not going to say this in any interviews because he's sucking up and glad to be casted in a major US spinoff TV show).

In real life he's 47 born in 1968, which means his dad was at least 15 when he had him, at least born in 1953 or earlier. His character dad would have been born in New Zealand, as Maori people aren't numerous in the US. Maori dads (and mums and uncles and aunts) born 1953 or earlier aren't weak. So he had lots of non weak role models growing up.
The writers are stupid. Whoever signed off on the writers is stupid.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:58 am

While for someone like you ,myself or anybody who would be reading this on this board. These would be valid criticisms and no doubt there are people in southern CA who would be not only armed up but mentally prepared to fight . But I think the location for this story is picked to have characters with as you said a subzero level. It's LOS ANGELES. ( edited for content) Heck I remember one of my co workers was pulled over for a moving violation and the cop wanted to arrest him because there was a baseball bat behind the seat.
Last edited by flybynight on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:40 am

I count at least three participants in this discussion who appear to be doing their level best to get this thread locked and buried.

Can we please not flagrantly violate forum rules and just talk about a f*cking TV show?
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:57 am

Hey gang ... there is a no politics rule here.

If the political discussion continues, the thread will be locked.

Please limit the topic to the TV series and refrain from discussions of local politics in the local area where the TV series is located.

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:40 am

Red Tamarillo wrote:...

It's more insulting to our intelligence that "Salazar", didn't even have a cut throat razor in his pocket, or hasn't scavenged the baseball bat or butchers knife from his host family, to protect his family. Afterall they're not being used.
I'm hoping the razors show up again, one possibly in the hands of the addict/hustler Nick who was eyeballing 'em and may have palmed it.

And am thinking Salazar will end up with a nicely stocked neighbor's pickup, weapons and all.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:58 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Red Tamarillo wrote:...

It's more insulting to our intelligence that "Salazar", didn't even have a cut throat razor in his pocket, or hasn't scavenged the baseball bat or butchers knife from his host family, to protect his family. Afterall they're not being used.
I'm hoping the razors show up again, one possibly in the hands of the addict/hustler Nick who was eyeballing 'em and may have palmed it.
Are you referring to Chris.....He was the one fingering the straight razor at the barber shop:

Tinderbox

Post by Tinderbox » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:02 pm

RickOShea wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:
I guess the usual gaggle of nitpickers aren't participating in this thread. Image

I noticed it but I only nitpicked about it to my wife -- and then only until she gave me her special, patented "enough about it" look.

In addition to the racking of the over and under barreled shotgun, I thought I also heard a hammer being cocked.

It's....it's like the sound effects guys just can't help themselves! Either that or it's a running joke for them, like including the Wilhelm Scream at some point in every movie.

I am going along for the ride on this show, despite the usual things that make us yell "Oh, come on!" at the TV. :P Or at least until it fails to produce at least a few scenes showing the streets of the L.A. metro area choked with massive herds of zombies.
"...the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire..."

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:26 pm

RickOShea wrote: Are you referring to Chris.....He was the one fingering the straight razor at the barber shop:

Yes.

Thanks.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:22 pm

The show is good.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Just random comments:

Ditto to wondering if the airplane in that shot was the one with the mini-show.
Also ditto to thinking that perhaps the rickety maze was purposed for growing things.

I was thinking that if all the lady got out of getting smushed between a scaffolding and pavement was a severely broken foot, she was lucky because I kinda expected more serious injuries like a broken femur as well as a crushed pelvis, along with some possible organ damage and internal bleeding.

Also, I don't see Travis as being necessarily weak but he is very clearly having trouble adjusting to how he is going to have to act in order to survive and help his family survive. His character is in much the same position as that of Noah Wyle's Tom Mason in Falling Skies in that he's educated and knowledgeable but hasn't really had to step out of his comfort zone of being a husband/father/teacher but now that Things Are Happening and, Danger, he's going to have to adjust. I expect we'll see Travis's instincts and ingenuity stepping up the game.

I do wish that Nick had taken the opportunity to get a quick shower and change out of the old dude's clothes. And they need to stop delaying the truth of what is going on to the daughter. Not cool.

Peach

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:12 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:I do wish that Nick had taken the opportunity to get a quick shower and change out of the old dude's clothes. And they need to stop delaying the truth of what is going on to the daughter. Not cool.
I know it's only been around 36 - 48 hours, but it's still kind of amusing that Nick is still wearing the old man's clothes. I hope it's just that he doesn't live at his Mom's house anymore, and doesn't have any clothes at her place.....but if he ain't careful, with that haggard look and gammy leg limp, he could be confused with a walker. :rofl:

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 pm

RickOShea wrote:
CarolinaPeach wrote:I do wish that Nick had taken the opportunity to get a quick shower and change out of the old dude's clothes. And they need to stop delaying the truth of what is going on to the daughter. Not cool.
I know it's only been around 36 - 48 hours, but it's still kind of amusing that Nick is still wearing the old man's clothes. I hope it's just that he doesn't live at his Mom's house anymore, and doesn't have any clothes at her place.....but if he ain't careful, with that haggard look and gammy leg limp, he could be confused with a walker. :rofl:
That's exactly what I've been telling him but apparently he can't hear me in TVland! :crazy:

Peach

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:59 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:Also, I don't see Travis as being necessarily weak but he is very clearly having trouble adjusting to how he is going to have to act in order to survive and help his family survive. His character is in much the same position as that of Noah Wyle's Tom Mason in Falling Skies in that he's educated and knowledgeable but hasn't really had to step out of his comfort zone of being a husband/father/teacher but now that Things Are Happening and, Danger, he's going to have to adjust. I expect we'll see Travis's instincts and ingenuity stepping up the game.
Yep. I think maybe the writers are interested in showing him transform. Look at TWD. Carol obviously changed dramatically due to the apocalypse. She was an abused wife to begin with. During the flashbacks, Michonne definitely was a character who was shown to be more normal by societal standards prior to the tragedy that struck her.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Return to “Zombie Training Films”