Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:53 am

ineffableone wrote:Better episode than previous ones. Still not overly attached to any characters yet. They are all sort of meh.

Difficult to watch Travis not understanding the way things are actually going yet, he should have seen enough by now to have some grasp that if he is going to protect his families he will have to get over aversion to violence and guns.

Also difficult to see the Salazar's wanting to go solo. That stubborn only trust family crap is just as dumb as Travis not liking guns.

I have to say the end was a surprise, to see the troops suddenly show up and take control was not expected. But I could see how in real ZPAW, there might be moments like that, where it seems they got control back for a bit. Then of course later it fails again.
I wonder if Salazar's wanting to go solo is not more wanting to get away from the zombie chow that Travis and Madison's family seem to be. Salazar is a survivor from pre zombie apocalypse. Willing and able to do the wet work to stay alive and protect his wife and daughter, and not spend an instant questioning if he did the right thing. When Travis was trying to talk to zombie neighbor ,Salazar walks into room takes shotgun from Madison and blasts zombie. When that wasn't enough he went to near contact range and blew it's head off. No hesitation, no remorse, just stone cold killer expression. There's more to him than a inner city barber .
I think the troops showing up is not so much the Calvary arrives as Sanitation crews have arrived and everybody they meet is a target. Would not be surprised to see them start shooting everything that moves..... by orders from above.
Anybody else find it ironic that the first weapon they get is a over under 12 gauge? Usually one of the first wall guns in COD zombies.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 am

THE LEARNING CURVES:

S1:E1
Shooting galleries can be deadly.
When you think they're dead, it may only be a flesh wound.

S1:E2
Schools have contraband cabinets with contraband in them, and they are an alternate food stockpile.
Fire extinguishers take some practice swings to wield properly.
Bites make you sick.
Its probably better to close doors behind you.

S1:E3
FREAKIN' CLOSE DOORS BEHIND YOU!
If you've got nuthin', know your neighbors and their equipment inventory.
00 buck is better than #8 bird, but the #8 still works at a range of < 6".
You can park your vehicle in the middle of a riot with the back window open; no worries mate, not a scratch.
The 'infected' eat dog meat.
Head shots work well. x3
The 'infected' may be dead already.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road
Location: Crow, WV

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 am

It’s just a TV Show, but I have a minute. It was nice to sit for an hour last night after a long day outdoors enjoying a beautiful and sunny afternoon. I spent most of the day scouting and cutting sign in my hunting areas, and installing cameras. I tried to send a few choice pictures to some of my friends who waste an entire day watching the very fat men in tights who only play half of a one-hour game which is televised for 4.15 hours while brainwashing you to buy beer or a new pickup truck.

I think I like the usage of fanciful thinking, or the inability of so many people to accept that things are going bad quickly. Additionally, there is the idea that so many would join the dregs of society and just turn it into a giant chaos party which will allow them to do things they have never done before…like turn over cars or rob a store and wear 4 Rolex watches…and this makes sense. If you have been in a college town after a major NCAA win, or supported in a disaster area, or landed in the middle of a major peacekeeping mission or observed a riot, you have witnessed the hooligan mindset that can take over.

I am glad that FTWD is staying focused on the unraveling. The characters are interesting and the actors chosen for their roles are spot on, IMHO. The tough mom, a widower, is about to go Sheriff Rick it would seem. The HS daughter, focused upon her boyfriend and self; the injured mother, able to see sunshine in a sewer, and the devoted daughter caring for her parents all work for me.

I like that Travis is anti-gun for two reasons: 1) it goes against the stereotypical macho-image of the Latino male and 2) it maintains my image of an inner-city educator. Others have already made remarks about Salazar’s experience with society unravelling but it is important to point out that the character is from El Salvador, one of the most densely populated places in Central America and host of a civil war from the late 70’s to the early 90’s. There was also an earthquake there in the mid 80’s that left 100,000 homeless. He’s been around, you know.

There is no explanation as of yet why I like the junkie. It just works. That he accepts that his world has just turned into a sandwich of foul excrement but he remains focused instead upon any elixir that chemically balances him is quite telling. That the survival of his addiction stands above the survival of his life in his mental hierarchy is a good message for many viewers that will allow it to pass mindlessly over their heads.

The introduction of uniformed people adds to the story. Help is on the way might bring about the scenario where you have to question what you ask for…. Oversimplified, a mentality of we are uniformed and you are not complicates in a way unseen during a decade of a long war against the non-uniformed and in which local law enforcement have done their best to dress like soldiers. There is also Title 10 of the U.S. Code.

The zombies have always been a sideshow for me. Like disappearing underarm and leg hair on the survival reality women, I kind of don’t see it. Hair works for me as an image in this age of polarizing extremes. A mass of unruliness stands out like the hipster beard whereas the occasional outlier whisker can be plucked in an instant. I notice the zombies only when they have the numbers.

I don’t know that there is any way to accurately portray the numbers in a city the size of L.A. since the sample size of extras would have to be immense. Some good examples have been captured by the L.A. Times here: http://framework.latimes.com/2012/04/19 ... riots/#/0. It is only about politics if you say it is so.

The zombies themselves symbolize any obstacle to a civilized society. Observed acting willy-nilly and sometimes in a coagulated scrum, they are the personification of those that would get in the way of life as we know it. I doubt a virus would cause it. Eugenics perhaps, or starvation; a Lebensraum in the age of the Anthropocene building so very slowly that one never notices that is has arrived.

Having seen a few of the producers in an interview or two, especially Greg “Dude, This Is Fun” Nicotero, I like the average man approach they seem to apply to the show. I have not had this much fun since they took “Gunsmoke” off the air. (With apologies to Denny Crane).
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Asymetryczna wrote: I like that Travis is anti-gun for two reasons: 1) it goes against the stereotypical macho-image of the Latino Māori male and 2) it maintains my image of an inner-city educator.
FTFY. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies
Location: Northern Ireland (Deepest, Darkest North Antrim)

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:45 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote: I like that Travis is anti-gun for two reasons: 1) it goes against the stereotypical macho-image of the Latino Māori male and 2) it maintains my image of an inner-city educator.
FTFY. Image
Yeah I didn't consider Travis to be anything other than Māori (albeit a transplant into L.A.) His surname Manawa seems to be a deliberate nod to this heritage. Though to be fair I already knew that the actor Cliff Curtis was Māori, having seen him in other stuff.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
Image
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road
Location: Crow, WV

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks. I was wrong.
I should have paid more attention as an All Black fan.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:41 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Thanks. I was wrong.
I should have paid more attention as an All Black fan.

Image
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.
Location: Michigan

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by raistlin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:42 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:There is no explanation as of yet why I like the junkie. It just works. That he accepts that his world has just turned into a sandwich of foul excrement but he remains focused instead upon any elixir that chemically balances him is quite telling. That the survival of his addiction stands above the survival of his life in his mental hierarchy is a good message for many viewers that will allow it to pass mindlessly over their heads.
Also, I don't want to applaud addiction, but in a sense, a street junkie has been practicing a form of urban survival that is far removed from the living of suburbia. I think that's some of what we are seeing here: a type of survivalist mentality.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:16 pm

raistlin wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:There is no explanation as of yet why I like the junkie. It just works. That he accepts that his world has just turned into a sandwich of foul excrement but he remains focused instead upon any elixir that chemically balances him is quite telling. That the survival of his addiction stands above the survival of his life in his mental hierarchy is a good message for many viewers that will allow it to pass mindlessly over their heads.
Also, I don't want to applaud addiction, but in a sense, a street junkie has been practicing a form of urban survival that is far removed from the living of suburbia. I think that's some of what we are seeing here: a type of survivalist mentality.
Nah, it's just a succession. of bad choices. The only thing going for him til he overcomes his addiction is he already lives in a nightmare. By Choice
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:29 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote: I like that Travis is anti-gun for two reasons: 1) it goes against the stereotypical macho-image of the Latino Māori male and 2) it maintains my image of an inner-city educator.
FTFY. Image
Yeah I didn't consider Travis to be anything other than Māori (albeit a transplant into L.A.) His surname Manawa seems to be a deliberate nod to this heritage. Though to be fair I already knew that the actor Cliff Curtis was Māori, having seen him in other stuff.
Here's an article where Cliff Curtis talks a bit about his character: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/n ... d=11496126


He may be back on US television playing a guy who lives and works in Los Angeles at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. But at least Cliff Curtis isn't having an identity crisis. His character in The Walking Dead prequel, Fear the Walking Dead, is Maori. He's Travis Manawa, high school English teacher of Maori descent.

"It's not made a big deal of," Curtis tells TimeOut in Los Angeles. "But it is pretty cool knowing that. I'm playing an American primarily, so there's nothing obviously Maori about him. Apart from, well, we'll see what happens. It's the first time I've not been asked to cover up my moko, my body art."
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.
Location: Michigan

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by raistlin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:35 pm

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:There is no explanation as of yet why I like the junkie. It just works. That he accepts that his world has just turned into a sandwich of foul excrement but he remains focused instead upon any elixir that chemically balances him is quite telling. That the survival of his addiction stands above the survival of his life in his mental hierarchy is a good message for many viewers that will allow it to pass mindlessly over their heads.
Also, I don't want to applaud addiction, but in a sense, a street junkie has been practicing a form of urban survival that is far removed from the living of suburbia. I think that's some of what we are seeing here: a type of survivalist mentality.
Nah, it's just a succession. of bad choices. The only thing going for him til he overcomes his addiction is he already lives in a nightmare. By Choice
I think it's naive to assume that someone with a drug addiction can only make bad choices, as if they are only capable of crazed, useless acts. We were presented with evidence early on that is not the case with Nick when, instead of running out of the hospital in his gown like some stereotyped drug crazed individual, he had sense enough to take the old man's clothes and wallet.

No doubt that heroin addiction is a bad path to choose. But once that choice is made, living on the streets requires a daily survival attitude and focus on primary needs that is quite different from the middle class suburbia daily choices of easy living, which is not about survival at all. So while Nick is undoubtedly handicapped by his drug addiction, he's already had to make that essential mental shift in his life that survival requires that the rest of the family has not: focusing each day on the basics like food, water, shelter, and safety. For example, in the last episode, note how he is the one who has to tell his mother and sister to get away from the windows (how dumb was that to point flashlights at the windows?). He is the one that suggests that they get the shotgun from the neighbors. He is the first to voice the fact that the infected are dead. In fact, repeatedly he has made better choices and offered better advice than other characters.

Of course, what makes him interesting is exactly that he has this drug addiction handicap. A regular person with some basic survival instincts would be much less interesting, IMO. Nick is not reliable because of the drug addiction. Will he make the right choices to help the group that he is capable of? Or will he choose to let the drugs lead him at times to serve only himself?
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."


User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road
Location: Crow, WV

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:03 pm

[quote="raistlin"] I think it's naive to assume that someone with a drug addiction can only make bad choices[quote]

I tend to agree. My point was more directed toward forks in the road when, physically and mentally, the addiction makes the choice for him. I offer no judgment and I do not know where the story goes. Perhaps, as someone pointed out, his survival instincts developed upon the streets and amidst chaos will keep him alive until there is no more crutch to lean upon and his body and mind adjust. I tend to cheer for the broken children.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:54 pm

raistlin wrote:
flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:There is no explanation as of yet why I like the junkie. It just works. That he accepts that his world has just turned into a sandwich of foul excrement but he remains focused instead upon any elixir that chemically balances him is quite telling. That the survival of his addiction stands above the survival of his life in his mental hierarchy is a good message for many viewers that will allow it to pass mindlessly over their heads.
Also, I don't want to applaud addiction, but in a sense, a street junkie has been practicing a form of urban survival that is far removed from the living of suburbia. I think that's some of what we are seeing here: a type of survivalist mentality.
Nah, it's just a succession. of bad choices. The only thing going for him til he overcomes his addiction is he already lives in a nightmare. By Choice
I think it's naive to assume that someone with a drug addiction can only make bad choices, as if they are only capable of crazed, useless acts. We were presented with evidence early on that is not the case with Nick when, instead of running out of the hospital in his gown like some stereotyped drug crazed individual, he had sense enough to take the old man's clothes and wallet.

No doubt that heroin addiction is a bad path to choose. But once that choice is made, living on the streets requires a daily survival attitude and focus on primary needs that is quite different from the middle class suburbia daily choices of easy living, which is not about survival at all. So while Nick is undoubtedly handicapped by his drug addiction, he's already had to make that essential mental shift in his life that survival requires that the rest of the family has not: focusing each day on the basics like food, water, shelter, and safety. For example, in the last episode, note how he is the one who has to tell his mother and sister to get away from the windows (how dumb was that to point flashlights at the windows?). He is the one that suggests that they get the shotgun from the neighbors. He is the first to voice the fact that the infected are dead. In fact, repeatedly he has made better choices and offered better advice than other characters.

Of course, what makes him interesting is exactly that he has this drug addiction handicap. A regular person with some basic survival instincts would be much less interesting, IMO. Nick is not reliable because of the drug addiction. Will he make the right choices to help the group that he is capable of? Or will he choose to let the drugs lead him at times to serve only himself?
Well I never said he wasn't interesting. But face the facts. He is addicted to one of the most addictive drugs there is. Everything he does is geared towards feeding his addiction. Yea go next door and get the shotgun ( and look for drugs) next day looking to break in to another house til he see's he is spotted by the little girl. Plus the fact that his withdrawal has not really started to hit yet. Once he is in full withdrawal he would gladly throw his mom, sister, and everyone else to the zombies if the choice is them or a high. And if he is high, what good will he be. He's interesting because he is the slow train wreck at the zombie crossing.
In order to survive in this situation you have to be both physically and mentally fit. He is neither .
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.
Location: Michigan

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by raistlin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 pm

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
flybynight wrote: Nah, it's just a succession. of bad choices. The only thing going for him til he overcomes his addiction is he already lives in a nightmare. By Choice
I think it's naive to assume that someone with a drug addiction can only make bad choices, as if they are only capable of crazed, useless acts. We were presented with evidence early on that is not the case with Nick when, instead of running out of the hospital in his gown like some stereotyped drug crazed individual, he had sense enough to take the old man's clothes and wallet.

No doubt that heroin addiction is a bad path to choose. But once that choice is made, living on the streets requires a daily survival attitude and focus on primary needs that is quite different from the middle class suburbia daily choices of easy living, which is not about survival at all. So while Nick is undoubtedly handicapped by his drug addiction, he's already had to make that essential mental shift in his life that survival requires that the rest of the family has not: focusing each day on the basics like food, water, shelter, and safety. For example, in the last episode, note how he is the one who has to tell his mother and sister to get away from the windows (how dumb was that to point flashlights at the windows?). He is the one that suggests that they get the shotgun from the neighbors. He is the first to voice the fact that the infected are dead. In fact, repeatedly he has made better choices and offered better advice than other characters.

Of course, what makes him interesting is exactly that he has this drug addiction handicap. A regular person with some basic survival instincts would be much less interesting, IMO. Nick is not reliable because of the drug addiction. Will he make the right choices to help the group that he is capable of? Or will he choose to let the drugs lead him at times to serve only himself?


Well I never said he wasn't interesting. But face the facts. He is addicted to one of the most addictive drugs there is. Everything he does is geared towards feeding his addiction. Yea go next door and get the shotgun ( and look for drugs) next day looking to break in to another house til he see's he is spotted by the little girl.
Yes. Telling his mother and sister to move away from the windows was to feed his drug addiction. :roll: You seem to have a rather un-nuanced point of view.
flybynight wrote:Plus the fact that his withdrawal has not really started to hit yet. Once he is in full withdrawal he would gladly throw his mom, sister, and everyone else to the zombies if the choice is them or a high. And if he is high, what good will he be. He's interesting because he is the slow train wreck at the zombie crossing.
In order to survive in this situation you have to be both physically and mentally fit. He is neither .
I guessed you missed the part where he already started to go through withdrawal, so Madison went and stole him some opiate derivatives and now is weaning him off his addiction.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7387
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 pm

So, how about those Mets?

Can anyone tell me what that 'maze of death' was between Madison and Susan's house? Very effective for setting up a dramatic escape, but what the hell? I've seen elaborate trellises before, but that one reminded me not so much of a garden but of Carcosa's twig maze from True Detective.

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:45 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Can anyone tell me what that 'maze of death' was between Madison and Susan's house? Very effective for setting up a dramatic escape, but what the hell? I've seen elaborate trellises before, but that one reminded me not so much of a garden but of Carcosa's twig maze from True Detective.
I had similar thoughts, and can only come up with that they had to up the drama a bit so made the trellis into some sort of maze. I don't think any rational backyard garden trellis system would ever be designed like that.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:06 pm

raistlin wrote:
flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
flybynight wrote: Nah, it's just a succession. of bad choices. The only thing going for him til he overcomes his addiction is he already lives in a nightmare. By Choice
I think it's naive to assume that someone with a drug addiction can only make bad choices, as if they are only capable of crazed, useless acts. We were presented with evidence early on that is not the case with Nick when, instead of running out of the hospital in his gown like some stereotyped drug crazed individual, he had sense enough to take the old man's clothes and wallet.

No doubt that heroin addiction is a bad path to choose. But once that choice is made, living on the streets requires a daily survival attitude and focus on primary needs that is quite different from the middle class suburbia daily choices of easy living, which is not about survival at all. So while Nick is undoubtedly handicapped by his drug addiction, he's already had to make that essential mental shift in his life that survival requires that the rest of the family has not: focusing each day on the basics like food, water, shelter, and safety. For example, in the last episode, note how he is the one who has to tell his mother and sister to get away from the windows (how dumb was that to point flashlights at the windows?). He is the one that suggests that they get the shotgun from the neighbors. He is the first to voice the fact that the infected are dead. In fact, repeatedly he has made better choices and offered better advice than other characters.

Of course, what makes him interesting is exactly that he has this drug addiction handicap. A regular person with some basic survival instincts would be much less interesting, IMO. Nick is not reliable because of the drug addiction. Will he make the right choices to help the group that he is capable of? Or will he choose to let the drugs lead him at times to serve only himself?


Well I never said he wasn't interesting. But face the facts. He is addicted to one of the most addictive drugs there is. Everything he does is geared towards feeding his addiction. Yea go next door and get the shotgun ( and look for drugs) next day looking to break in to another house til he see's he is spotted by the little girl.
Yes. Telling his mother and sister to move away from the windows was to feed his drug addiction. :roll: You seem to have a rather un-nuanced point of view.
flybynight wrote:Plus the fact that his withdrawal has not really started to hit yet. Once he is in full withdrawal he would gladly throw his mom, sister, and everyone else to the zombies if the choice is them or a high. And if he is high, what good will he be. He's interesting because he is the slow train wreck at the zombie crossing.
In order to survive in this situation you have to be both physically and mentally fit. He is neither .
I guessed you missed the part where he already started to go through withdrawal, so Madison went and stole him some opiate derivatives and now is weaning him off his addiction.
How long til he remembers that Calvin must have a stash of drugs at his house, or in the trunk of the car left in the L A river ? Madison didn't get near enough
OxyContin to wean him off Heroin. Just enough to get him out to the desert.
Where they won't be going to now .
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:23 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.
Location: Michigan

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by raistlin » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
Yes. Telling his mother and sister to move away from the windows was to feed his drug addiction. :roll: You seem to have a rather un-nuanced point of view.
flybynight wrote:Plus the fact that his withdrawal has not really started to hit yet. Once he is in full withdrawal he would gladly throw his mom, sister, and everyone else to the zombies if the choice is them or a high. And if he is high, what good will he be. He's interesting because he is the slow train wreck at the zombie crossing.
In order to survive in this situation you have to be both physically and mentally fit. He is neither .
I guessed you missed the part where he already started to go through withdrawal, so Madison went and stole him some opiate derivatives and now is weaning him off his addiction.
How long til he remembers that Calvin must have a stash of drugs at his house, or in the trunk of the car left in the L A river ?
I don't know. How long?
flybynight wrote:Madison didn't get near enough
OxyContin to wean him off Heroin. Just enough to get him out to the desert.
Why? How much is enough?
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacAttack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:52 am

Ok here is a question.

Since they obviously have no morals and in the first day or two of the outbreak decided that breaking into a school and their own neighbors house and stealing things was fine....... Why didn't they walk across the street and take the neighbors obviously better truck and what looks like a load of provisions he left behind.

Instead they are driving that crappy truck with almost nothing but a few canned goods and a shotgun.

If you have reduced yourself to scavenging from the dead or steeling then why not get the best you can find?

And I hope, no I pray that this group since it has resorted to theft stops passing up every obviously dead cop and solder out there and starts to grab some equipment off of them.


Good gracious just how much military equipment has the WD crew passed up in the last few years?

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7387
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:54 am

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
:words:
:words:
flybynight wrote: :words:

:words:
Raistlin, Flybynight:

Do you see how you two are pretty much just quoting each other? It's obvious you two disagree on an addict's functionality in the zombie apocalypse. Time to either drop it or take it to PMs.

User avatar
MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am

ineffableone wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:Can anyone tell me what that 'maze of death' was between Madison and Susan's house? Very effective for setting up a dramatic escape, but what the hell? I've seen elaborate trellises before, but that one reminded me not so much of a garden but of Carcosa's twig maze from True Detective.
I had similar thoughts, and can only come up with that they had to up the drama a bit so made the trellis into some sort of maze. I don't think any rational backyard garden trellis system would ever be designed like that.
Me too, when I first saw that when they jumped over the fence I was thinking, 'what the hell, who has that and why?'. Then my rationalization was that they must make a killer Halloween Haunted House each year for the neighborhood kids. 'Cause they seemed to be able to navigate straight thru it like they'd been there before.
MacAttack wrote:Ok here is a question.

Since they obviously have no morals and in the first day or two of the outbreak decided that breaking into a school and their own neighbors house and stealing things was fine....... Why didn't they walk across the street and take the neighbors obviously better truck and what looks like a load of provisions he left behind.

Instead they are driving that crappy truck with almost nothing but a few canned goods and a shotgun.

If you have reduced yourself to scavenging from the dead or steeling then why not get the best you can find?

And I hope, no I pray that this group since it has resorted to theft stops passing up every obviously dead cop and solder out there and starts to grab some equipment off of them.


Good gracious just how much military equipment has the WD crew passed up in the last few years?
It may not be a great idea to be driving a 'borrowed' vehicle when there are military/police check points going up and Law and Order may still be in existence. In other words it'd be too soon to start commandeering stuff, give it another week. Plus Salazar may need something to bug out with in the next episode.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:12 am

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
:words:
:words:
flybynight wrote: :words:

Raistlin, Flybynight:

Do you see how you two are pretty much just quoting each other? It's obvious you two disagree on an addict's functionality in the zombie apocalypse. Time to either drop it or take it to PMs.
Hey I resemble that remark
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

LowKey
* * * * *
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by LowKey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:54 pm

ineffableone wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:Can anyone tell me what that 'maze of death' was between Madison and Susan's house? Very effective for setting up a dramatic escape, but what the hell? I've seen elaborate trellises before, but that one reminded me not so much of a garden but of Carcosa's twig maze from True Detective.
I had similar thoughts, and can only come up with that they had to up the drama a bit so made the trellis into some sort of maze. I don't think any rational backyard garden trellis system would ever be designed like that.
Maybe they were trying to grow grapes? :?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Training Films”