Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:Suit Man seems to understand how to pick at the weakest part of people and get to what he needs. Sounds like he's setting himself up as either a very profitable entrepreneur or a warlord, maybe both.
Well considering he is the only black character right now, we know he wont last all that long considering the longevity of male black characters in the WD universe.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:41 pm

ineffableone wrote:
CarolinaPeach wrote:Suit Man seems to understand how to pick at the weakest part of people and get to what he needs. Sounds like he's setting himself up as either a very profitable entrepreneur or a warlord, maybe both.
Well considering he is the only black character right now, we know he wont last all that long considering the longevity of male black characters in the WD universe.
Ain't it the truth! He'd better pay the writers to cut down on his dialogue before it's everlasting too late. 8-)

Peach

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:47 pm

I asked my barber ....
...to recommend a dentist.
This is who he suggested...Image
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Damn zombies.
So many issues…

“You know how I feel about guns” is just a wasted cliché once a man’s head has been shot off in the next room. The lack of seasonal change does not bother me now that we are in SoCal and I realize that only Tobias has seen the first five seasons like the rest of us. This suspension of reality, on top of already suspended reality, makes this series more difficult to sell and much more susceptible to the critic in all of us. After all, we are 5 seasons ahead of all of these characters.

Let’s tackle the selling first. When I was a younger man I was taught that when researching human events and getting nowhere I could try to follow the money. Years have passed; I do that first now. TWD is a combination of wildly successful ideas. Like the Canterbury Tales (and so many others), a group of wildly different people join efforts to…determine the meaning of life…learn or impose restraints upon themselves and others with no leviathan to provide commonwealth…only to remind us:

“In such condition there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain, and consequently, not culture of the earth, no navigation, nor the use of commodities that may be imported by sea, no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force, no knowledge of the face of the earth, no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society, and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.” ~T.H.

AMC owns the rights. It continues to make a ton of cash. I work in a secure building full of secure people who have temporarily secured lots of space in their lifetimes. At least 3 of them have Sherriff Rick dolls on their desk and at least one has a full size poster of Darryl. Are there PEZ dispensers yet? NERF crossbows? Trading cards? Are other industries making money off it, like Zombie green knives and specialty ammo? I don’t know about everyone else but I think that I would try a few spinoffs about living one day at a time against all odds especially since pessimism seems so easy to arrive at in the present day. Go back to the beginning with a series in L.A.? Maybe try a short episode about experience on a plane? A new series as seen from the view of a dentist? A special Price is Right Zombie episode? Maybe Eddie Grylls in a documentary about how he would approach each situation. If it sells, and people are buying, the market will continue to expand. It works, right?

In a society where people are actually afraid to use words with actual meaning as a qualifier, why wouldn’t a term borrowed from West A-----n and H-----n folklore suffice? Think of it. Websites devoted to discussions, outdoor supplies, decals, patches, target materials, and hobby collectibles would all sell very well without anyone being offended since the opponent is already dead. No real feelings are hurt. It’s like Guinness. Brilliant.

I think the “waste of time” comments would appear from someone no matter what I decide to watch on TV since most of what I am doing while sitting down and turning on the TV is wasting time. Add to this the efforts I take to avoid all commercials and the amount of time being wasted grows. Now, throw in the time it takes to actually log in to a website and write that a program lacks plot, has horrible acting and that the special effects are bad.

It is likely that tens of thousands of people are writing today about the other bits of fantasy they watched yesterday. Having zero to do with their actual life, they cheered for or against large men in tights whose minimum wage is greater than a union welder working all overtime could make in 5 years. They know that 4 – 15 minute quarters equals one hour yet they willingly sacrifice at least 3.70 hours each week to watch grown men fight over a ball. On Monday morning, an ‘expert’ wraps it all up for you if you have an hour to read. His name is Peter King. You couldn’t make this up.

Few people know with any degree of certainty what they would do in a situation that they have never been situated in to begin with; so, I tend to only push my critical analysis up to a point. At that point, I find that it is better to relax and think where I would take the story based upon the info I have been given. If the writers/producers track somewhat with me should I think more highly of them? Or should I just allow myself to be entertained with the knowledge that more people and especially the younger demographic are becoming interested in topics that essentially are covered in the Foxfire series on my shelves?

How does one get potentially thousands of dead/undead to stay together in a stadium if none of them will follow instructions? Were they all located there at once, before turning? Who locked all of the doors? Was that a Barrett .50? Was there no blast when it was fired…did no one…with no hearing protection flinch?

What a waste. Could I do better with the show? With my time?

Or should I just laugh? Did they jump the shark? Do I actually enjoy watching people jump sharks? Would I watch a man torture another to find the meaning of a word? How many other people in this world actually know the word “kayfabe” anyway?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:29 pm

:shock:

uhh,

They were all already in the stadium as a relocation [aka Katrina fiasco = stay away from stadiums], then one turned, then it progressed like wildfire and the NG locked the doors.

and Tobias hasn't seen anything except his own conclusions based on newscasts and his own conspiracy theories.

The rest went over my head. :roll:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:37 pm

My reference to Tobias was sarcastic by nature in that we are watching FTWD having already watched 5 seasons of TWD. Since the characters, except Tobias, are so very slow to catch up with us I found it a humorous premise. It's like taking a moment in my suspension of belief to suspend belief about belief suspension.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:My reference to Tobias was sarcastic by nature in that we are watching FTWD having already watched 5 seasons of TWD. Since the characters, except Tobias, are so very slow to catch up with us I found it a humorous premise. It's like taking a moment in my suspension of belief to suspend belief about belief suspension.
Me too. :clap:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:47 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:They were all already in the stadium as a relocation [aka Katrina fiasco = stay away from stadiums], then one turned, then it progressed like wildfire and the NG locked the doors.
Maybe it was just the season ticket holders.....or they had a Comic Con going on. :clownshoes:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Did anyone else catch the Dr. saying "They turn when they die... We all do" or have I lost my mind?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

SCBrian wrote:Did anyone else catch the Dr. saying "They turn when they die... We all do" or have I lost my mind?
Yup. Now to see if Liza keeps it to herself for a while, like Rick, or if she shares the info.....that is, if she survives long enough to be reunited with her people (somebody has gotta die in the finale, and right now my money is on her). Image

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Damn zombies.
So many issues…

-snip to save space
Last edited by Stab74 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:33 pm

LowKey wrote:
RickOShea wrote:The title of tonight's episode is "Cobalt"........which was also the working title of the series during preproduction. So maybe something super cereal will take place, and/or some of these "mysteries" will have some light shed on them. Image
Hopefully any "light shed" on them won't be due to the cobalt in reference being used in a Cobalt Bomb producing lots of gamma rays.....although I could see a misguided attempt to use something like tactical* neutron bombs** in an attempt to "kill" large concentrations of walkers in places like downtown L.A., N.Y.C, ect. and the attempt just making things worse as is kills the live humans in those areas and thereby creating more walkers which would ironically be the actual reason things collapse....with the additional "recruits" the walkers outnumber organized human responders and they can't hold back the tide.

That, or maybe it's just the lovely shade of blue in a vase Nick finds when he's breaking into an old lady's home for drugs. :rofl:

So far the episode title have been fairly literal....so cobalt makes me wonder just a bit.
Color or isotope? Hmmmm...

* Tactical Nukes were/are designed to have a much smaller area of effect than strategic nukes. Think multiple city blocks vs entire cities. Some were/are small enough to be fired from canons on the battlefield.

** IIRC Doesn't do much in the way of physical damage, primarily kills through neutron radiation and the area is essentially ok afterwards...just no animal life. "Dream weapon" of the Cold War, kill the enemy but leaves the buildings and infrastructure intact.
I'm watching season 5 of walking dead on Netflix. One of the characters used " the night they bombed Atlanta" as a time reference .
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:11 pm

It was mentioned that the hospital staff and soldiers were being evac'd to Edwards Air Force base, which isn't too far north of LA. Looky what we got here!

Same spot but from Bing imagery. Yep, Wonder Woman's B-1 is there too.

"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:41 pm

I wonder, when Cpl. Adams said "humane termination", was he talking about the whole L.A. area?

The way Madison said, "Go on. Our people. Tell him. Tell him what happens to them.", kinda leads me to think that they were only talkin' about the ones at command post/clinic.

I guess I can understand them dropping napalm on Atlanta, since (according to Morgan) the Gub'mint was telling people to go there for protection, food, & medical aid.....so when the city fell it was populated with hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of reanimated locals & refugees.

But L.A. seems to be the opposite. The area seems like it was depopulated except for the few safe zones, and (so far) there doesn't appear to be that many walkers. So would the already strained Military use resources & manpower to take-out a few thousand survivors and walkers?

I guess we'll find out next week. :ooh:

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:28 pm

My review is up:

http://couchpotatoprepper.blogspot.c...alking_28.html

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:45 pm

RickOShea wrote:I guess I can understand them dropping napalm on Atlanta, since (according to Morgan) the Gub'mint was telling people to go there for protection, food, & medical aid.....so when the city fell it was populated with hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of reanimated locals & refugees.

But L.A. seems to be the opposite. The area seems like it was depopulated except for the few safe zones, and (so far) there doesn't appear to be that many walkers. So would the already strained Military use resources & manpower to take-out a few thousand survivors and walkers?
And where do you take that many million people from LA? Right now in the FWD universe, there are a bunch of pissed off survivalists in eastern CA and north of LA due to all the evacuees encouraged to do so by the government. :lol:
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Not going to comment too far but I will say that it's never a good sign when I put on a show, and find myself ignoring it and reading a book while it's on.

FTWD is like watching a family soap opera that incidentally happens to be set during an alleged apocalypse.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:45 pm

raistlin wrote:And where do you take that many million people from LA? Right now in the FWD universe, there are a bunch of pissed off survivalists in eastern CA and north of LA due to all the evacuees encouraged to do so by the government. :lol:
I was thinking you ship them off to the Mojave....that way, if they did have to bomb several million newly turned walkers, they wouldn't damage any infrastructure.Image

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:47 pm

I think they may have anandoned downtown to the dead and evacuated the outskirts to create a firebreak against the spread. Then they realized everyone who dies reanimates. So it didn't matter.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:44 pm

raistlin wrote:
And where do you take that many million people from LA? Right now in the FWD universe, there are a bunch of pissed off survivalists in eastern CA and north of LA due to all the evacuees encouraged to do so by the government. :lol:

Like I said earlier:

I remain unconvinced that LA is anywhere near evacuated. Rex84 notwithstanding, evacuating millions of people to camps over a week isn't possible. Especially when the Military is repeating this in at least two other major metro areas(Atlanta, the DC Area).

We saw on the first day people were bugging out all over the place, but we also know that by day 10 or so major military installations like Edwards are operational and are flying people in and out. This reduces the chance of evacuation, because if millions of people are bugging out at once, the army and NG are probably also providing base security at places like Edwards. Hell, you think the DOD is gonna want someplace like China Lake(the Navy's Area 51) crawling with thousands of refugees? The DOD simply doesn't have the manpower to perform an orderly evacuation. As weird as it sounds, this is way less realistic than "plague turns people into zombies".

So, I think that LA still has thousands of locals in it outside of the SZs. In fact, I think the SZs were set up so they know where they can bomb with impunity. I think that there are probably thousands of walkers out there as well, but for various reasons(locked in stadium, laying siege to mall, stuck in apartment buildings) we just haven't seen too many.

It would be interesting to see something like a refugee column arrive some place like Lone Pine and the locals try to turn them away.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Like I said earlier:

I remain unconvinced that LA is anywhere near evacuated. Rex84 notwithstanding, evacuating millions of people to camps over a week isn't possible. Especially when the Military is repeating this in at least two other major metro areas(Atlanta, the DC Area).

We saw on the first day people were bugging out all over the place, but we also know that by day 10 or so major military installations like Edwards are operational and are flying people in and out. This reduces the chance of evacuation, because if millions of people are bugging out at once, the army and NG are probably also providing base security at places like Edwards. Hell, you think the DOD is gonna want someplace like China Lake(the Navy's Area 51) crawling with thousands of refugees? The DOD simply doesn't have the manpower to perform an orderly evacuation. As weird as it sounds, this is way less realistic than "plague turns people into zombies".

So, I think that LA still has thousands of locals in it outside of the SZs. In fact, I think the SZs were set up so they know where they can bomb with impunity. I think that there are probably thousands of walkers out there as well, but for various reasons(locked in stadium, laying siege to mall, stuck in apartment buildings) we just haven't seen too many.

It would be interesting to see something like a refugee column arrive some place like Lone Pine and the locals try to turn them away.
No doubt. Somehow police and national guard would be able to direct traffic for millions of people to leave in a city that has freeways that turn into parking lots from a single accident in a normal day, all the while they are also fighing undead? It's not like some of the hurricane evacuations we have seen in the US where smaller (but somewhat large) populations have vacated a city. Everyone knows when the hurricane is coming. No panic. But zombies? "Please exit the city in an orderly fashion" just does not work in that situation. LOL

It's just a big flaw in the plot. I guess that's why we got that 8 days or so jump forward in time. Because their story wasn't realistic.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:15 am

One thing that really got me from this past episode was when Travis asked the NG how he got the black eye, the response was "nothing sir; momentary lapse of patriotism". To me, this really underscored how badly the situation had devolved.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:27 am

I will say that FTWD has not lived up to my expectations. If this show was originally developed under the name "Cobalt", then the current military-storyline isn't just a mistaken detour like I originally thought, instead the TV show was fatally flawed from its original conception.

With FTWD, I had hoped to see the collapse and chaos of the fall of civilization under the pressure of the zombie apocalypse. Like an exaggerated series-long version of the first 30 minutes of the 1978 movie Dawn of the Dead. Yet this was not to be. Instead we get Operation Cobalt. Ugh. Cobalt reminds me of the exaggerated and extreme anti-military theme of the 1985 film Day of the Dead.

I find the entire premise of Cobalt offensive and insulting to anyone who served in the US Military or anyone who respects the US Military. It's one thing for a small isolated military unit to break down under pressure and commit an atrocity. It one hell of another thing for a high level plan to commit genocide. Ugh.

What I expect the "humane termination" plan for 'Cobalt' is not nuking, not gassing, not burning or shooting. Why create even more zombies to fight? What I expect is gathering all the civilians for a 'final meal', a meal which is spiked with narcotics to knock them unconscious. The bodies would then be collected, and run down an assembly-line using the cattle punch to kill each person.

Of course with the National Guard now bugging out in open mutiny of orders, I doubt Cobalt takes place. Though we might see Cobalt in action in miniature at the medical base set up at the Community College.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:49 am

CarolinaPeach wrote:
It wasn't a big deal to me that Travis couldn't or wouldn't shoot Kimberley the walker, but it did confirm that the commanding officer is a sadistic jerk who was riding a power wave at the moment.

Peach
The officer is a combat vet. As opposed to the poor grunts who are 'just scared boys separated from their family'. Because according to Hollywood, the only thing more evil than a professional military officer is a combat veteran.

You would think that after the last 14 years Hollywood would change. But they just can't let go of the poison that took hold during the Vietnam War.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”