Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14408
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by dogbane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Congratulations! You win a _______!
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 2107
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Well, you should have waited until the contest started so you could get a T shirt.

Do you notice how its not possible to see the front of Susan's house from the main road Madison spotted her husband arriving from?

Looks like there is just a sidewalk and you have to walk thru to their house from that direction. Weird layout.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:Do you notice how its not possible to see the front of Susan's house from the main road Madison spotted her husband arriving from?

Looks like there is just a sidewalk and you have to walk thru to their house from that direction. Weird layout.
From Google Erf......


Image


Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:53 pm

from Wikipedia

Production of the pilot episode began in early 2015 and ended on February 6, 2015.[36][37] The pilot episode was filmed in Los Angeles; the remaining first season episodes were filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia.[
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Guess that means if we do see a million strong zombie horde, instead of Groowwwlll Esa, they will be saying Groowwwlll Ehh.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Stab74 wrote:The more I think about it the more pissed off I am at the decision the show creators made to skip ahead 9 days so we miss the whole fall of society. Instead we get family drama time. Where the hell are all the zombies?! I better see a million horde march on their safe zone in the finale. A good thread on this very topic on TWD subreddit:

FTWD already glossed over the part of the show I was most interested in seeing.
Did you say good thread and Reddit in the same sentence? Don't you know those two things are incompatible? :awesome: :rofl: :clownshoes:
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:53 pm

flybynight wrote:from Wikipedia

Production of the pilot episode began in early 2015 and ended on February 6, 2015.[36][37] The pilot episode was filmed in Los Angeles; the remaining first season episodes were filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia.[
http://www.seeing-stars.com/Locations/F ... Dead.shtml
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Mountainsquid
* * *
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland
Location: The Capital Wasteland

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:30 pm

RickOShea wrote: When Chris was making his little rooftop report, he mentioned that, "People outside the fence, they took the last of them four days ago. People just like us, run like cattle, piled into trucks, one suitcase a piece. Headed east. At least that's the rumor. Bakersfield, Vegas, who knows?"



:?

Doesn't sound like a reliable source, tbh. Maybe they did that with some people, but man, if I were the government in this situation you would have to know that shelter in place is a far better solution than several hundred thousand los angelenos moved into the desert.

Not to mention, where would you house them? FEMA Camp jokes aside, there's no place to put them even if you could get everyone out. Imagine what would happen if, say, you were the residents of someplace like Lone Pine and 10,000 Angelenos were dump off there. The civil disorder would just move to the relatively heavily armed rural areas.

Given that we know that 2 years after the collapse there are still massive herds of walkers wandering rural Georgia, I'm unconvinced that LA isn't packed with millions of walkers that for whatever the reason haven't made their way to the suburbs(maybe they're laying siege to a mall....).

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:
RickOShea wrote: When Chris was making his little rooftop report, he mentioned that, "People outside the fence, they took the last of them four days ago. People just like us, run like cattle, piled into trucks, one suitcase a piece. Headed east. At least that's the rumor. Bakersfield, Vegas, who knows?"



:?

Doesn't sound like a reliable source, tbh. Maybe they did that with some people, but man, if I were the government in this situation you would have to know that shelter in place is a far better solution than several hundred thousand los angelenos moved into the desert.

Not to mention, where would you house them? FEMA Camp jokes aside, there's no place to put them even if you could get everyone out. Imagine what would happen if, say, you were the residents of someplace like Lone Pine and 10,000 Angelenos were dump off there. The civil disorder would just move to the relatively heavily armed rural areas.

Given that we know that 2 years after the collapse there are still massive herds of walkers wandering rural Georgia, I'm unconvinced that LA isn't packed with millions of walkers that for whatever the reason haven't made their way to the suburbs(maybe they're laying siege to a mall....).

I don't know, but it seems like there could be something nefarious going on. Maybe something like a Redeker Plan to just save a small part of humanity and to consolidate remaining resources.

L.A. appears to have been depopulated except for the 12 protected areas. Almost like they are setting-up "Arks" to save a small, controllable portion of the population.....and then we see that they are now removing the "unhealthy/unstable" ones (like Hector, Doug, Griselda, and Nick) from the program.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Stab74
* * * *
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:54 am
Location: Lexington, KY

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Stab74 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Stab74 wrote:The more I think about it the more pissed off I am at the decision the show creators made to skip ahead 9 days so we miss the whole fall of society. Instead we get family drama time. Where the hell are all the zombies?! I better see a million horde march on their safe zone in the finale. A good thread on this very topic on TWD subreddit:

FTWD already glossed over the part of the show I was most interested in seeing.
Did you say good thread and Reddit in the same sentence? Don't you know those two things are incompatible? :awesome: :rofl: :clownshoes:
It's not the sub for survival discussions, I've learned the hard way, that's for sure. On the other hand there are some excellent discussions regarding the direction of the show. ZS isn't immune to asshatery either, btw.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by ineffableone » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:26 am

Stab74 wrote:It's not the sub for survival discussions, I've learned the hard way, that's for sure. On the other hand there are some excellent discussions regarding the direction of the show. ZS isn't immune to asshatery either, btw.
I was only teasing, Reddit does have a reputation of topics devolving rather fast though. While yes other forums including ZS that can happen, Reddit does seem to have it happen quicker.

That said, while not active on Reddit myself, on a few different occasions when searching topics of interest I have come across a Reddit thread that ended up being helpful. So yes Reddit can be benificial. As I said I was just teasing due to the rep Reddit has.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacAttack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:03 am

Here is another question.

Why are ALL the civilians and in someways the solders also so totally ignorant about what has happened in the outside world.

Lets assume LA was not ground Zero.
Where are all the news reports from outside the area for the preceding three or four days before the LA outbreak?
The power was still on in LA for several days after the rioting started.

And think about high school kids. They use cellphones more than alcoholics use booze. If some kid in Mumbai passes gas in class and its funny its the hit of the web that day, hell that hour.
Whats going to happen if kids start to see Z's in towns all over the world? Shamblers will be the number one hit on YouTube that day. Thats right, days before the power goes out in LA.
By the end of the first day people would be discussing the right ways to stop the undead and have video proof to boot.

The meme would be so large that the regular new organizations couldn't ignore it.

By all odds this safe zone should have a news crew in it from a local station at least. There must be more that one in all of LA.

And by the way, most if not all radio stations have back up generators and some even have backup transmitting studios. How else will people get the EMS reports after a disaster?
Most pre 2010 cars have analog AM radios. Are you telling me no one in the whole of the safe zone hasn't thought of that yet.


But no this crew is walking around in a dream.

User avatar
Mountainsquid
* * *
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland
Location: The Capital Wasteland

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:28 am

MacAttack wrote: Lets assume LA was not ground Zero.
Where are all the news reports from outside the area for the preceding three or four days before the LA outbreak?
The power was still on in LA for several days after the rioting started.
Obviously there were news reports out there, otherwise the kid from the HS wouldn't have strung it all together. The counselor just told him to "stay off the Internet".

Bath Salts was a big thing a few years back because, frankly, zombies are a thing. Without Zombies being the culture a crazy guy attacking someone is just a dude on drugs. There are no zombie mythos in TWD(except for one throwaway line in the comics). So people are probably chalking early walker attacks to someone on PCP or some new drug.

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road
Location: Crow, WV

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 am

O'Shea, Congrats on winning the _________!
MacAttack wrote:Here is another question.
Why are ALL the civilians and in someways the solders also so totally ignorant about what has happened in the outside world.
I read somewhere that kids that were graduated in May grew up with social media always being available; so, the drop from the internet would seemingly be a total loss of overall situational awareness for many. I also remember reading that a person that read the New York Times on Sunday would have, in that one newspaper, access to more information than the average man would see in his entire life in 1930.

Having lived remotely, I have seen daily printouts of world news that kept people informed, and I have seen several weeks where absolutely no information came in from the outside world. So, I have realized my world being reduced to a very small area where every single piece of information passed –fact, rumor, and innuendo- is analyzed for value. Panic can ensue quickly:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... res-nation

Out of personal interest I have been collecting predictions and quotes from “survival” fear sites for nearly two decades. One could look at the giant surge in “survival” buying these days and see that the prophets of doom have a good thing going in a growing market. The ‘expert’ that predicted that all computers will freeze when the year changes owns a small company that sells seeds, and his competitor predicting the financial meltdown sells gemstones and precious metals, coins. That it has greatly enhanced the interest in the outdoors and in self-sustainment among my younger relatives and the people in my area is a good thing in my thinking.

We could make a giant list of the discrepancies we find each week as we watch a new episode but one thing is certain: the Walking Dead programs are brilliant for their timing.

All of this will end, of course, as the Fourth Blood Moon appears. (Snarky looking smilie placeholder).
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacAttack » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:17 am

Mountainsquid wrote:
MacAttack wrote: Lets assume LA was not ground Zero.
Where are all the news reports from outside the area for the preceding three or four days before the LA outbreak?
The power was still on in LA for several days after the rioting started.
Obviously there were news reports out there, otherwise the kid from the HS wouldn't have strung it all together. The counselor just told him to "stay off the Internet".

Bath Salts was a big thing a few years back because, frankly, zombies are a thing. Without Zombies being the culture a crazy guy attacking someone is just a dude on drugs. There are no zombie mythos in TWD(except for one throwaway line in the comics). So people are probably chalking early walker attacks to someone on PCP or some new drug.



This isn't just a few random guys on bath salts biting people. This is old folks dying in their beds and rising. This is thousands of bodies in morgues around the world getting up and killing the medical examiners. This is every EMT squad running into the walking dead at accidents all over the world.

I'm not bitching about some minor thing like someones coat changed from one scene to the next. I am talking about the whole of every single human we see acting like this is nothing but a trivial bump in their week.
I can guess the writers are trying to get across the idea that LA people are just that jaded that a million zombies walking around are not that big a thing. But even the guy from Nicaragua seems to just blow it off and the best thing he can say is "this reminds me of the time a military junta squad came into my village and killed everyone. Watch out for that." Yep a million walking undead is just like that.
I am talking about the total lack of urgency, fear,worry, or even just curiosity among everyone. The closest we have is Mrs whats her name having a small outburst about doing the dishes. So far their biggest worry is about someone flashing a light 3miles away. Not about were their food is coming from and what happens when it runs out or what about the water or what about next week when the military goes away. They just skipped a week of tension and build up and jumped right to a calm military camp.

Not one person in the whole SZ is planning onanything. Not one boy scout in the bunch.

User avatar
wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 7:56 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies
Location: Northern Ireland (Deepest, Darkest North Antrim)

Fear The Walking Dead

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:23 pm

MacAttack wrote: I am talking about the total lack of urgency, fear,worry, or even just curiosity among everyone. The closest we have is Mrs whats her name having a small outburst about doing the dishes. So far their biggest worry is about someone flashing a light 3miles away. Not about were their food is coming from and what happens when it runs out or what about the water or what about next week when the military goes away. They just skipped a week of tension and build up.....
Yeah, I am enjoying FTWD but you're right, they have chosen to forfeit a the beginning of the end of days scenario for a kitchen sink drama. Which is a bit of a wasted opportunity. It's only got another 2 episodes. I'll be nonplussed if the next two are as mundane & walking dead free.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
Image
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Did anyone else facepalm when Madison cut the fence to go outside? That is how Team Sh!t Magnet West starts.

User avatar
dogbane
* * * * *
Posts: 14408
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones
Location: Dogbane Patch, Carolina Piedmont

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by dogbane » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:Did anyone else facepalm when Madison cut the fence to go outside?
Yes. I did this:

Image

And then this:

Image
Mostly not here anymore.

User avatar
DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 5502
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: central Texas metroplex

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by DFWMTX » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 pm

If zombies get inside the fence, she wins the Father Gabriel "Dumbass, You're Gonna Get Us All Killed" award.

And it amazes me how many times our protagonist family hasn't picked up any weapons laying around, save for the shotgun. They could be two pistols richer by now.
It can always get worse.

User avatar
Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road
Location: Crow, WV

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:58 pm

MacAttack wrote: I'm not bitching about some minor thing like...someones coat changed...a trivial bump in their week...LA people are just that jaded...this reminds me of the time
MacAttack wrote: I am talking about the total lack of...urgency...fear...worry...or even just curiosity...They just skipped a week of tension...Not one boy scout in the bunch
You’re right Mac. I paused #4 when it came on to look back and see if I had missed an episode or something.
It’s possible that I try to convince myself to go with it at times because it has less than one iota of influence on my life and because I doubt that any writers will see the complaint and go back to correct it. Yet you are insistent about the very thing that I thought upon the beginning and ending of the 4th episode, so I must agree. The other side of the fence is a large space that was occupied by a very large number of people. I see no outward signs of shock with the living and very little destruction outside and everything that took place we are left to wonder and guess. In my opinion, I would rather have 2 weeks stretched out into 2 seasons so that the complete unravelling could be seen. This was a big jump, and it avoided what I wanted to observe.

Or, we could start an internet rumor that Season 1, Episode 4 was pulled at the last minute because AMC censors thought it was too gruesome and violent for TV. S1, Episode 5 was run instead and labeled as Episode 4. This not only gives viewers hope, it also gives the writers and producers the opportunity to make good at a later date.

I may need help.
AMC Pulls S1: E4 of Fear The Walking Dead
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 2107
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:15 pm

DFWMTX wrote:If zombies get inside the fence, she wins the Father Gabriel "Dumbass, You're Gonna Get Us All Killed" award.

And it amazes me how many times our protagonist family hasn't picked up any weapons laying around, save for the shotgun. They could be two pistols richer by now.
She didn't pickup the 9mm either, there's not a whole lot going on up top there. So to hope that she zip tied it on the way back in is probably moot too.

But do we know yet if the Zombies in FTWD are smarter than a 5th grader and would actually be able to find and utilize a weakness in the fence like that. I haven't seen every Zombie movie but the ones I have seen, haven't had them randomly climbing thru an open window or thru/over any other semi obstacle to explore. They seemed to move in the path of least resistance if there isn't any food to go after. And if there is food, they may press their hordes up against the closed glass window 'till the cows come home and not notice the open doorway 3 feet to the right. Closed but not locked doors, [glass sliding doors] may even give them trouble. Who knows.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
HKTackDriver
* * *
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by HKTackDriver » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:20 pm

raistlin wrote:
Boondock wrote:I'm very confused about the military hunter-killer teams roaming the streets, gunning down uninfected civilians. Realistically, I can't see that happening, especially at such an early stage in the outbreak.
I agree. Nine days in and soldiers have been willing to take orders to murder uninfected Americans? You'd think there would be a mutiny.
Not for nothing, but you're presuming a lot. There is the potential that these people were firing at the NG or otherwise hostile. It's just set up to make us believe they were gunned down. Could have been a mugging/theft/whatever also. We're just lead to the conclusion that it was the NG, based on the patrol.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:O'Shea, Congrats on winning the _________!
MacAttack wrote:Here is another question.
Why are ALL the civilians and in someways the solders also so totally ignorant about what has happened in the outside world.
All of this will end, of course, as the Fourth Blood Moon appears. (Snarky looking smilie placeholder).
You mean the start of the biblical zombie apocalypse?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:34 pm

It just might be that they are not showing the unraveling of civilization from millions strong zombie hordes because it's just too expensive to hire, get costume and make up for that many extra's. Cgi might be beyond their budget also...
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Training Films”