Fear The Walking Dead

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:02 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:LONG LIVE TOBIAS

There is a betting pool at work that asks whether he makes it through the fall season, or not.
You could just look up the IMDB Fear the Walking Dead page and see how many episodes he was in. I have already seen, but will leave it to others to check if they want so I don't leave spoilers.
Ok that's interesting
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:22 pm

When the old guy dies in the next hospital bed. They only gave him two hits with the AED and no CPR Before wheeling him downstairs.

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:13 am

flybynight wrote:When the old guy dies in the next hospital bed. They only gave him two hits with the AED and no CPR Before wheeling him downstairs.
That is the CDC recommended treatment protocol for suspected Zombie outbreak.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:55 am

Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:When the old guy dies in the next hospital bed. They only gave him two hits with the AED and no CPR Before wheeling him downstairs.
Well, ever notice that the TV recommended time to give CPR is about one to two minutes max before calling someone dead. Have they never taken American Heart Association CPR classes? (lol)
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am

raistlin wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Well, ever notice that the TV recommended time to give CPR is about one to two minutes max before calling someone dead. Have they never taken American Heart Association CPR classes? (lol)
Yea that's the thing. Is it sloppy writing with no basis on real world trainings/treatments or a telling hint of possible government conspiracy.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:22 pm

flybynight wrote:
raistlin wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Yea that's the thing. Is it sloppy writing with no basis on real world trainings/treatments or a telling hint of possible government conspiracy.
The 1-2% of the population that knows what running a code looks like in real life have seen the movie/ TV version so many times they are numb to it. Kind of like nearly every military movie or cop show I have ever seen.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:12 pm

I think the doctors are in the "know" on what happeneds when people die then they come back as walkers which is why they wanted him down stairs so fast.
And it looks like the LAPD are in the know as to whats happening and are still trying to hold the city together but the general population doesn't know yet.
But liking the series so far..
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:25 am

kdalton

Post by kdalton » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:29 am

I thought the scene was pretty self explanatory. The medical staff knows something is happening when people die, and the protocol is that when someone codes they have 60 seconds to get them back or they go downstairs to a special containment ward.

I don't see any other way you could interpret that scene, unless you were just looking to nitpick something.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:57 am

I think it's pretty clear that the show's writers have taken some pains to sprinkle the first 2 episodes with multiple hints that the authorities know a lot more than what they've disclosed to the public. There's the near constant buzzing of helicopters overhead (not necessarily atypical in real life LA, but a conscious decision was made to feature it prominently in the show's sound design). The nurse's evasiveness when Madison and Travis questioned their response to Nick's escape. The knowing look from that cop loading his cruiser with drinking water. The school district's decision to abruptly cancel classes after too many students were staying home. I'm sure there are many others I'm forgetting or just plain missed.

I also think that particular line of dialog when Nick's hospital roommate coded was a little on the subtle side. It was aimed at particularly attentive viewers/those with some knowledge of treatment protocols. It went right over my head and people can be excused for misconstruing it. That's part of the reason why I enjoy these ZS threads; it fills in the gaps I have due to ignorance or just plain lack of attentiveness.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 pm

In one scene, Tobias and Madison are pushing a cart full of canned goods. But after the encounter with zombie Art, they're not pushing the cart anymore. I could see the two splitting up the cart's contents and Tobias putting (part of) his share in the backpack, but I didn't see Madison carrying anything to the car.

And how does the Wiki/IMDB pagae for the show have any background on Salazar when he's barely in the show, and none of what's on it has been mentioned?
It can always get worse.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:33 pm

DFWMTX wrote:And how does the Wiki/IMDB pagae for the show have any background on Salazar when he's barely in the show, and none of what's on it has been mentioned?
The Salazar's are some of the main characters. Even though they had just been introduced they will be part of the main group as the show continues. So Wiki/IMDB were likely given a decent write up on them as well as the other main characters by AMC.

Same as many shows and movies, you can see a long write up about plot and characters before release. Typically these are given by the production company so that people trying to figure out if they want to watch will have something to go by.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:46 pm

Frag out, Hooahs! New trailer for episode three:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:25 pm

DFWMTX wrote:And how does the Wiki/IMDB pagae for the show have any background on Salazar when he's barely in the show, and none of what's on it has been mentioned?
From the casting call for the "Daniel Salazar" character, which was:

[SALVADOR PENA] 60s. From El Salvador. Escaped the 80's civil war and moved to Los Angeles with his wife. Owns and operates a barber shop. Has raised an "American" daughter. A humble man who keeps to himself and shelters his family. SERIES REGULAR
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:34 am

majorhavoc wrote:I also think that particular line of dialog when Nick's hospital roommate coded was a little on the subtle side. It was aimed at particularly attentive viewers/those with some knowledge of treatment protocols. It went right over my head and people can be excused for misconstruing it. That's part of the reason why I enjoy these ZS threads; it fills in the gaps I have due to ignorance or just plain lack of attentiveness.
What struck me was not the actions taken, (hollywood always gets that wrong anyway) it was the paniced reactions of the staff. I work in an ER and have seen patients code before. The staff moves fast but they are controlled in their actions and how they talk. I thought the way the nurse started yellin gand people actually ran into the room was very telling that something was seriously wrong.

That was a great scene.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 pm

Under 10 minutes for the next episode! :awesome:
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

ShaneofReading
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead (series)

Post by ShaneofReading » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Interesting, attacks right in among everyone and no-one really notices...
"life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans"
- John Lennon

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:12 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Travis is a dead man. Salazar is right. He's weak.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:02 pm

flybynight wrote:Travis is a dead man. Salazar is right. He's weak.
Yep. Madison and Nick are the only ones in their family that have begun to adjust their reality.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 am

ineffableone wrote:
You could just look up the IMDB Fear the Walking Dead page and see how many episodes he was in. I have already seen, but will leave it to others to check if they want so I don't leave spoilers.

Don't rely on the IMDB listings. One of the regulars for Longmire was listed for every episode of season 4(which came out last Thursday). That was not the case.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:58 am

Better episode than previous ones. Still not overly attached to any characters yet. They are all sort of meh.

Difficult to watch Travis not understanding the way things are actually going yet, he should have seen enough by now to have some grasp that if he is going to protect his families he will have to get over aversion to violence and guns.

Also difficult to see the Salazar's wanting to go solo. That stubborn only trust family crap is just as dumb as Travis not liking guns.

I have to say the end was a surprise, to see the troops suddenly show up and take control was not expected. But I could see how in real ZPAW, there might be moments like that, where it seems they got control back for a bit. Then of course later it fails again.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

BadLands_Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead (1968, 1990)

Dawn of The Dead (1978, 2004)

Day of The Dead (1985)

The Dead Next Door (1989)

Post by BadLands_Shooter » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:21 am

Seriously loving this show so far. I think it's hilarious that Travis feels anything for guns at this point other than the urge to learn more about them.
Former Army Infantryman.

-K/N Frame/M&P Lover.

“Hey man, you’re playing some killer music this morning. I have an empty cop car sitting outside my place. It’s been sitting there all night with the light bar flashing”. - Random Radio Caller

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Fear The Walking Dead

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:18 am

I actually get AMC but not Fox so I got to watch the first two episodes of FTWD, they were aired one after another.
Tobias is a good character, and my favourite principle one is Travis. Travis at the very least seems to be able to think for himself and depend on his own judgement. So far all of the main female characters are annoying which is disappointing, although Madison did finally seem to be getting her wits about her at the end of Episode2 when she defended Tobias and wouldn't let Alicia dash out of their house to help squealing neighbours.
The pacing of the drama was slow but gripping enough to hold my interest.
I enjoyed watching it carefully to try to catch any early signs of the ZOMPOC that the main characters were blissfully unaware of, such as the relevance of the dialogue of the dying old mans Doctors.
Episode3 is on tonight and I'm intrigued.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Return to “Zombie Training Films”