Daylight's End zombie move. Releasing....????

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Daylight's End zombie move. Releasing....????

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Ok. This caught my attention because of the use of weapons, which generally seems better than in most movies. And it has some people I like. Oh, and it is apparently "made by gun guys." Which is always a plus in my book!

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Daylight's End zombie move. Releasing....????

Post by ODA 226 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 pm

OH BOY! A movie with James "Runaway" Yeager! :clownshoes: That's a don't watch under ANY circumstances for me!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 pm

ODA 226 wrote:OH BOY! A movie with James "Runaway" Yeager! :clownshoes: That's a don't watch under ANY circumstances for me!
I guess everyone has their own interpretation of events. The video of the event makes me pretty confident in the account I have heard from others. When the vehicle came under fire, he exited the vehicle to get to the other side of the road as the vehicle was a big target. Now, if a friend is on the other side of a road from me, I don't bother to call that "running away." I call that "30 ft to my side." Or back, or font, or wherever.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:20 am

woodsghost wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:OH BOY! A movie with James "Runaway" Yeager! :clownshoes: That's a don't watch under ANY circumstances for me!
I guess everyone has their own interpretation of events. The video of the event makes me pretty confident in the account I have heard from others. When the vehicle came under fire, he exited the vehicle to get to the other side of the road as the vehicle was a big target. Now, if a friend is on the other side of a road from me, I don't bother to call that "running away." I call that "30 ft to my side." Or back, or font, or wherever.
He left two critically wounded comrades to die in that car, ran across the road, jumped into a ditch and never attempted to extract those guys from the vehicle. I don't know anything about your background, but my priority in that situation would be to get my wounded teammates out of that vehicle and to safety.
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 pm

There is no "team" in "private military contractors".

Which is what it is.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:13 pm

My background is civilian, and taught me to 1) never turn 1 casualty into 2. And 2) Always assess the situation to ensure you follow rule #1. In the case of Yeager, my background would say "don't turn 2 casualties into 3. Wait till it cools down a bit then go in."

I won't try to say I'm "right" on that point. It is just a different view, and I honestly don't know which is the right one.

I'll also say that since I was not on the scene at the time, I"m reluctant to pass judgement. If the men who were with him at the time are willing to be angry with him, I can respect that. If it is other people, who were not in the situation, who are passing judgement, I have a harder time with that.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:27 am

Guns, Muscles, all that's missing is a chick in a bikini and it is a cinematic triple threat in my eyes. I'm gonna have to watch this.

And James Yeager's in a zombie movie?? They must want to turn "The Walking Dead" into the "Running Away Dead". I wonder if he will leave any survivors in a car after he forgets how to drive a stick shift??

Now, I am not saying I am better than him (even though I probably am) but my military career involved boats and water more than running and gunning. However, I know my best Recon buddy would beat him to death for running away and leaving 2 teammates in the firing line.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:43 am

Worth looking at.

http://mercenarymum.com/?cat=4

It gives you Yeager's report, the Edinburgh Risk and Security Management report, and if you want to buy her book, a 3rd perspective from a author who was part of the outfit at the time. Poke around her site, and you see where she comes down on the issue.

Just throwing out additional perspectives.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:37 am

ODA 226 wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
He left two critically wounded comrades to die in that car, ran across the road, jumped into a ditch and never attempted to extract those guys from the vehicle. I don't know anything about your background, but my priority in that situation would be to get my wounded teammates out of that vehicle and to safety.
You would be eaten by zombies.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:54 am

I'm not a Yeager fan but he was in a Daewoo shit box car that came under fire from a RPK or some other belt fed. I think I'd have popped out too and gone to find cover way better than a economy grade car, IDK like a ditch. One guy advancing on open ground vs. a unknown force with unknown capabilities is nothing but suicide. Once I heard his side of the story, I really don't get the dust up. PMCs don't train as a team, do security as a way to get money and are beholden to no one. PMCs are not backed up by anyone except the guys they're rolling with, generally guys they just met who are likewise interested in getting a check, not a ribbon. People bitch that he didn't return fire, really, everyone must have special vision that can find bad guys over 200 yds away while there behind cover without any support weapons like their own beltfed.

Come on, giving the guy shit is pedantic, he'd have only lost his life and not been able to assist anyone after the ambush was over. Since those two were critically wounded how much aid would have been given by an untrained medic without proper kit and back up that may have come 3 or 4 hours later since regular troops are the priority. They knew what they were getting into or should have.

Hence when asked to work convoy duties in the majestic rolling hills of Afghanistan as a civilian, I said, no thanks.

OT: I'll watch the movie. Lance Hendricks is cool. IT will probably suck just like all the other zombie movie though. :|
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:18 pm

On topic: I sure hope the movie does not suck! Watching the trailer, I did see some suckyness, but I saw way more cool action and great weapons handling than I have seen in a long time! I saw World War Z. I figure after that, nothing can be worse, so I will certainly enjoy this zombie pic!

On Yeager:

So.....I"m seeing the information and scenario we are working off of is a complete work of fiction and nobody has bothered to read the AARs. Instead, we have all been guilty of perpetuating internet myths that amount to bullshit.

Yeager never "left two wounded comrades in the vehicle to die." In fact, he was part of a 3 car convoy. There were 3 people in Yeager's car, including Yeager. ALL OF WHOM EXITED THE VEHICLE. One was wounded (Stef Surette), shot in the femoral artery in the initial burst of enemy fire. Stef Surette proceeded to dump mags from an M4 on automatic and exited the vehicle under his own power. Only the one guy from Yeager's vehicle was wounded and eventually died. In the convoy, there were 4 casualties, total. One was dead on the scene (headshot) and two were femoral artery shots who later died in treatment.

Neither Yeager's account nor the official company account offer any indication that Yeager was a coward, nor ran from battle. It is VERY clear he did not leave wounded comrades in a vehicle.

I really did not have a dog in this fight until I read the AARs earlier this morning. Now I do. I think he has been unjustly smeared.

Say what you like about his personality (which is hardly "charming"). His actions, under fire, were not "cowardly" nor "exemplary." They seem to be in line with most soldiers under fire. Making him just a man, not a myth, legend, or pariah.

Here are the AARs:

Yeager:

http://mercenarymum.com/wp-content/uplo ... Report.pdf

Edinburgh Risk and Security Management:

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:On topic: I sure hope the movie does not suck! Watching the trailer, I did see some suckyness, but I saw way more cool action and great weapons handling than I have seen in a long time! I saw World War Z. I figure after that, nothing can be worse, so I will certainly enjoy this zombie pic!

On Yeager:

So.....I"m seeing the information and scenario we are working off of is a complete work of fiction and nobody has bothered to read the AARs. Instead, we have all been guilty of perpetuating internet myths that amount to bullshit.

Yeager never "left two wounded comrades in the vehicle to die." In fact, he was part of a 3 car convoy. There were 3 people in Yeager's car, including Yeager. ALL OF WHOM EXITED THE VEHICLE. One was wounded (Stef Surette), shot in the femoral artery in the initial burst of enemy fire. Stef Surette proceeded to dump mags from an M4 on automatic and exited the vehicle under his own power. Only the one guy from Yeager's vehicle was wounded and eventually died. In the convoy, there were 4 casualties, total. One was dead on the scene (headshot) and two were femoral artery shots who later died in treatment.

Neither Yeager's account nor the official company account offer any indication that Yeager was a coward, nor ran from battle. It is VERY clear he did not leave wounded comrades in a vehicle.

I really did not have a dog in this fight until I read the AARs earlier this morning. Now I do. I think he has been unjustly smeared.

Say what you like about his personality (which is hardly "charming"). His actions, under fire, were not "cowardly" nor "exemplary." They seem to be in line with most soldiers under fire. Making him just a man, not a myth, legend, or pariah.

Here are the AARs:

Yeager:

Edinburgh Risk and Security Management:

Woodsghost,

I never called Yeager a coward. I was working PSD's in that very same area at the same time Yeager was. I ran Route Irish at least twice a week for two years. I know the spot where Edinburgh got hit intimately.

Here's a fact: Yeager became a pariah in the PSD community as a result of his actions and inactions that day. Nobody wanted to work with him again. Here's why:

1. His actions caused the vehicle to stall.
2. He panicked and bailed out of his vehicle less than five seconds into the contact.
3. He panic-fired IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.
4. He ran away from his vehicle 14 seconds into the contact, leaving 2 comrades (one critically wounded) exposed to enemy fire. (NOT in the vehicle. Thanks for the correction. It's been 9 years since this incident occurred.)
5. Never saw a target to engage because he was in a ditch in full defilade and never lifted his head up to look.
6. Waited a full THREE MINUTES after the last enemy round was fired before he came to Vehicle Three. (NOT Vehicle One).

IIRC, he also had padded his resume and did not have the skills and experience that he claimed.....and it showed during that contact.

I never called Yeager a coward. Men react differently when faced with life or death situations. Some rise to the occasion and others don't. Yeager simply didn't rise to the occasion and didn't have the experience that he claimed. Good men died that day. Was it Yeager's fault? No. Did Yeager do anything to help prevent their deaths? No.

Cheers!
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm

ODA 226 wrote: Cheers!
You are right. You never called him a coward. Sorry about that. That is my mistake. I was lumping you in with a lot of other people on other forums as well as this one who has thrown around a lot of what I"m finding out is garbage. On the other hand, as you have made clear, there is a truth that is worth knowing too, and that truth is not a flattering one. I should not have been putting words in your mouth or assuming you meant anything you did not make explicit. Sorry.

Cheers!

Thank you for the clarifications.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:28 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:There is no "team" in "private military contractors".

Which is what it is.
Absolute bullshit is spewing from your keyboard man, you may want to look into that.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:32 pm

On the film topic, I've seen this director's previous film "Sinners and Saints". It was a mediocre crime film starring, as in Daylight's End, Johnny Strong as the film's protagonist. This film seems the same kind of typical zombie film, but the director seems to be paying particular attention to firearms and their use. From what I've read, director William Kaufman, is something of a shooter himself and that is translated into his films.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:32 pm

SJNoftz wrote: From what I've read, director William Kaufman, is something of a shooter himself and that is translated into his films.
That is what caught my attention too, and why I actually posted this. A zombie movie with attention paid to the guns!!!!! Really, it looked to me from the trailer that the real star of this movie is the guns, rather than the humans. Which for me is the real point of any zombie movie. I am really hoping to love this movie!

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 pm

Me too, if I can find one zombie flick where people know how to at least make it look like they know what they're doing I'll be happy. Most of the time it's painfully obvious the actors and extras were given maybe the basics of pulling the trigger, but nothing on form, function, and ability. Every now and then you see someone who knows something, but for the most part I cringe at all the chicken winging I see. Here's to hoping for some epic headshots from a sweet M1A SOCOM.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 pm

I was certainly eyeballing that M1A SOCOM. This might be the first time that has been used in a zombie movie. Not sure, but I can't remember the SOCOM in any other zombie movie, and only rarely have I seen either the M14 or the M1A. In fact, I think I have only seen the M14 in one zombie movie. I'm really hoping for a breath of fresh air on this too!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:16 am

Gingerbread Man wrote:I'm not a Yeager fan but he was in a Daewoo shit box car that came under fire from a RPK or some other belt fed. I think I'd have popped out too and gone to find cover way better than a economy grade car, IDK like a ditch. One guy advancing on open ground vs. a unknown force with unknown capabilities is nothing but suicide. Once I heard his side of the story, I really don't get the dust up. PMCs don't train as a team, do security as a way to get money and are beholden to no one. PMCs are not backed up by anyone except the guys they're rolling with, generally guys they just met who are likewise interested in getting a check, not a ribbon. People bitch that he didn't return fire, really, everyone must have special vision that can find bad guys over 200 yds away while there behind cover without any support weapons like their own beltfed.

Come on, giving the guy shit is pedantic, he'd have only lost his life and not been able to assist anyone after the ambush was over. Since those two were critically wounded how much aid would have been given by an untrained medic without proper kit and back up that may have come 3 or 4 hours later since regular troops are the priority. They knew what they were getting into or should have.

Hence when asked to work convoy duties in the majestic rolling hills of Afghanistan as a civilian, I said, no thanks.

OT: I'll watch the movie. Lance Hendricks is cool. IT will probably suck just like all the other zombie movie though. :|
According to his report, 2 BMW's and an armored Mercedes, and their detail included 2 M249s and an RPK of their own.

It all happened real fast though, I don't judge him.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 am

SJNoftz wrote:On the film topic, I've seen this director's previous film "Sinners and Saints". It was a mediocre crime film starring, as in Daylight's End, Johnny Strong as the film's protagonist. This film seems the same kind of typical zombie film, but the director seems to be paying particular attention to firearms and their use. From what I've read, director William Kaufman, is something of a shooter himself and that is translated into his films.
I actually liked Sinners and Saints. Not for the story, but for the attention to detail on the weapons, tactics, and combatives techniques used. William Kaufman seems to have a habit of casting controversial figures from the firearms training community in his films since Sonny Puzikas was in Sinners and Saints.

I will have to check this one out when I get a chance.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 am

I believe Yeager's video said Sonny Puzika is involved in Daylight's End too. Which is why I posted Yeager's video in the first place. He gives details I found really interesting.

Anyway, it sounds like I need to watch Sinners and Saints now if the weapon's handling was good!

SJNoftz

Post by SJNoftz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:42 am

I actually liked Sinners and Saints. Not for the story, but for the attention to detail on the weapons, tactics, and combatives techniques used. William Kaufman seems to have a habit of casting controversial figures from the firearms training community in his films since Sonny Puzikas was in Sinners and Saints.

I will have to check this one out when I get a chance.[/quote]

I'd heard the same thing. I agree with Sinners and Saints, the tactics were sound and the weapons used were accurate for the antagonists as high-level mercenaries. Plus, Johnny Strong had a SA TRP Full Rail, a gun that I lust after even through my current SA 1911 Loaded is perfectly wonderful(and can fit standard holsters). The story's not terrible, just generic, I'd recommend checking it out, it's worth a couple hours.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:16 pm

. He ran away from his vehicle 14 seconds into the contact, leaving 2 comrades (one critically wounded) exposed to enemy fire. (NOT in the vehicle. Thanks for the correction. It's been 9 years since this incident occurred.)
Wait, I thought that you should move to cover as soon as possible. Aren't you? I am not trying to defend anyone, but I after reading the reports I think it seemed like the best thing to do. Never been in that kind of situation, and hopefully never will be. But It has been drilled into most Preppers heads that you should get behind cover as soon as possible.

I just watched the video on Mercenary Mum. I don't think anything cowardly was done by Yeager. I think he is a braying Jackass, but I can't see any thing wrong.

He moved to cover, returned fire, and tried to find the attacker. Then he tossed a smoke grenade. I don't think the title of "runaway Yeager is particularly deserved as it implies his actions were cowardly.

Where is the info about him padding his application?
. Never saw a target to engage because he was in a ditch in full defilade and never lifted his head up to look
I haven't been able to see anything on that either. There was a tissue in the way. Doubtlessly placed there by Yeager to cover his cowardly actions.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Apathy wrote:
. He ran away from his vehicle 14 seconds into the contact, leaving 2 comrades (one critically wounded) exposed to enemy fire. (NOT in the vehicle. Thanks for the correction. It's been 9 years since this incident occurred.)
Wait, I thought that you should move to cover as soon as possible. Aren't you? I am not trying to defend anyone, but I after reading the reports I think it seemed like the best thing to do. Never been in that kind of situation, and hopefully never will be. But It has been drilled into most Preppers heads that you should get behind cover as soon as possible.
Apathy, I never called him a coward. I did state that his actions caused the vehicle to stall. As a driver on a PSD, your primary job is to DRIVE the vehicle out of the kill zone, NOT to return fire and certainly NOT to jump out of the vehicle immediately upon taking fire. Doing so practically GUARANTEES that you'll never get out of the kill zone.

What is your background? Are you ex-military? Have you ever been on a PSD team?
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Return to “Zombie Training Films”