The 100 on CW

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Abuhin

The 100 on CW

Post by Abuhin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Yes, it's a CW show.
Yes, it's geared towards teens.
Yes, it's got angst and annoying love triangles.
But if you make it past the 3rd episode, it has some interesting issues and plots. Some, not a lot.
The series is set 97 years after a devastating nuclear war wiped out almost all life on Earth. The only survivors are the residents of twelve space stations in Earth's orbit prior to the war, and the descendants of the people on earth who survived the war, called "grounders" by the 100. The space stations banded together to form a single massive station named "The Ark", where about 2,400 people live. Resources are scarce and all crimes no matter their nature or severity are punishable by death ("floating") unless the perpetrator is under 18 years of age. After the Ark's life support systems are found to be critically failing, one hundred juvenile prisoners are declared "expendable" and sent to the surface in a last ditch attempt to determine if Earth is habitable again.
Yeah, there's a lot of things they could've done better. Yeah, you'd probably find scientific inaccuracies and plot holes without even looking to hard. (Execution method comes to mind.) Oh, well.

But if anyone wants to discuss, cool. But can we not do the "why not just send a robot probe to earth?" thing here. I discussed that too much on imdb.

Main things I want to talk (spoilers for the whole first season) are the war with the "Grounder" clans and the realism of what they've found/salvaged intact.

Initially, in the pilot the Ark tries to drop the 100 on Mt. Weather, Virginia, hoping that the teens will find the government fallout shelter intact. Unfortunately, they miss and land in the middle of the territory of a tribe of surviving "Grounders." Inevitably, war brews, along with conflict with an even deadlier tribe called "Reapers" before the season finale introduces one more faction of Earth inhabitants.

Things they've found:
-A half buried truck that's only usable as a makeshift shelter.
I suppose they could try to salvaging engine and electronic components. Other than that, I can't see anything useful other than seat cushions.

-A privately owned fallout shelter.
One teen finds this and keeps it a secret from all but a few. Kind of a dick move looking back on the finale battle. But anyway, no weapons or usable food, but there were more electronics components (like a kid's toy car) and mattresses and blankets.

-A military bunker halfway through the season.
This is their personal game changer, when they find 25 AR-15 type rifles. I like the small amount of realism they had by stating most of the ammo degraded, forcing them to conserve. The refugee leaders actually order that all hunting is to be done by spear or trap, to save on ammo. By the season finale battle, they have about 500 rounds left. The rifles were stored in steel drums. I missed some dialogue, but I think it was filled with grease. Is that an ideal preservative for the metal or something?
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Re: The 100 on CW

Post by Honeypot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:40 pm

They're rebroadcasting it from the beginning starting TONIGHT (2014-Jun-18)!!!

Everyone in my Geek circle who has seen it, agrees it's the best new show of 2014. :)

Agreed about the irritating factors.
It's the CW, just null that part of your brain while watching it. ;)

Also agreed that after the first few shows, there's some "human factors" changes that are both believable and greatly increased my enjoyment.
Some of the character shifts/growths were reminescent of Babylon 5 (yup, almost that good - not the whole series, obviously).

Give it a try.
It's post-apoc, I'm certain you'll all enjoy it. :)

P.S. Abuhin, excellent summary!
Was wondering when someone would start a thread!
Maybe we should hold off on spoiler-y discussion, so new viewers can comment in real time?
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I actually only made it thru the first 3 episodes before I couldn't handle any of the incredibly annoying angsty problems anymore. Every episode made me hate just about all the characters except whoever the Mom of the main girl is.

I know CWs reputation, but they have broken the mold a few times with Smallville (technically not a cw shows, but they picked it up and gave it a proper last few seasons), Arrow, and of course Supernatural. I figured it was worth a shot. I watch all my shows streamed via the internet, so I'll see if I can find it. Now that most of my shows are currently on the off season, I'm kind of starved for something new.

I'm still not sold yet... I'll probably do that thing where I read the synopsis for the episodes and see it is worth looking at. I'd rather have spoilers but be intrigued, than keep watching not knowing if anything interesting is going to happen.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:35 am

I enjoyed it, the first season so far at least. I'm intrigued to know more about the "mountain men" at the least.

With all the problems it has, it's still more believable than Revolution, etc.

Also, if anyone is thinking to do so, take my advice and avoid the book. The story is almost completely different, and the book revolves around ridiculous teen drama ("oh my god she wore that to the party? She's with who?" type crap.)
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Does anybody have a link for back episodes?

Cw has the pilot and two others...that still leaves me short about ten episodes.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:15 pm

They're re-airing them all, started with the pilot last week.

Abuhin

Post by Abuhin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:33 am

Honeypot wrote:P.S. Abuhin, excellent summary!
Was wondering when someone would start a thread!
Maybe we should hold off on spoiler-y discussion, so new viewers can comment in real time?
Oops, sorry.

Who caught the season 2 premiere?

So Mountain Men, huh? Their leader has the classic bad-guy-evil-president vibe. What could he want?
One popular theory seems to be some sort of forced breeding program or transfusion/transplant experiments with the 100 so that they can gain their ability to withstand the outside radiation.

The adults landing is sure to make for interesting group dynamics. Like Kane arresting Bellamy. Some speculate there will soon be a day where Kane has to begrudgingly release Bellamy because his experience on Earth and bond with the 100 is too valuable for him to be just locked away.
Bellamy's officially pardoned for his old crimes, but how do you think you'd handle being Kane and deciding what to do with him?

Also, I read that peacemaker Finn is going to a dark place this season due to the missing.

And the *sound* Jaha hears at the end. How could that have been left behind!?
Sworbeyegib wrote:I actually only made it thru the first 3 episodes before I couldn't handle any of the incredibly annoying angsty problems anymore. Every episode made me hate just about all the characters except whoever the Mom of the main girl is.
Fair enough. No hard feelings. Sometimes I feel I should watch while using my tablet to web surf.
Disclaimer: For anonymity and security's sake, this poster may alter, omit, or fabricate details of his personal life and circumstances.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:40 am

I caught it. Wasn't disappointed with it.

Anybody else get a "Fallout" vibe off the mountain men?

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:11 pm

I started writing a reply for this show (that I'm probably posting to a couple different forums when I'm done), and realized that I'm three pages in and just started talking about the characters. :lol:

Spoilers ahead...

I like it. Wasn't sure if I would, but Netflix suggested it at 5 stars, so I got through the first couple of episodes. I was thinking Fallout, except instead of a vault dweller, the ark is the vault. The grounders are tribals/savages. And then the Mountain Men came along, and I realized...oh, those are the Vault Dwellers. Instead of being in roughly 20th century garb, if they had vault jumpsuits, my inner nerd would have gone nuts. FALLOUT: the tv show. The entire first season premise would have been ruined, and frankly it wouldn't have bothered me at all. If they said, "Clarke, welcome to Vault 101" at the end of the first season...oh man. :awesome:

Sigh. Since we're not going to get that, still a decent series. Could do without the relationships, or less focus on that, but since that's what the target demographic wants, that's what they get. At some point, when my long "review" is done, I'll post it.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm

dohnuts wrote:Could do without the relationships, or less focus on that, but since that's what the target demographic wants, that's what they get.
Yeah if you read the book this show is based on, you'll be thankful for the lack of relationships in the TV show. Trust me, it could be much much worse. The book was horrible. It was all "shes with who? she wore what? Shoes?" type reading.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:00 pm

DJH wrote:
dohnuts wrote:Could do without the relationships, or less focus on that, but since that's what the target demographic wants, that's what they get.
Yeah if you read the book this show is based on, you'll be thankful for the lack of relationships in the TV show. Trust me, it could be much much worse. The book was horrible. It was all "shes with who? she wore what? Shoes?" type reading.
Yeah, I went ahead and read the reviews on amazon after reading your post, so thanks for the heads up. I wasn't planning on reading the book, but the idea of reading a young adult romance novel with the fascinating setting as dressing isn't working for me. At least the show puts the world as a primary concern.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:10 pm

dohnuts wrote:
DJH wrote:
Yeah, I went ahead and read the reviews on amazon after reading your post, so thanks for the heads up. I wasn't planning on reading the book, but the idea of reading a young adult romance novel with the fascinating setting as dressing isn't working for me. At least the show puts the world as a primary concern.
Ticked me off because I usually find the books for things I see on film/tv much more interesting. Glad I could save you lol

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00 pm

Personally I like the show, it's got it's problems but it's no Terra Nova steaming pile of you-know-what. Season 2 isn't to bad either, let's see what happens.
Abuhin wrote: Yeah, there's a lot of things they could've done better. Yeah, you'd probably find scientific inaccuracies and plot holes without even looking to hard. (Execution method comes to mind.)
I agree, personally I think a space going race would cannibalize instead of throwing people out an air lock.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:10 am

Just started to watch it last night.... It's..... Meh. I watched the pilot and thought it wasn't bad at all. Until you have to add in some BS drama and blah blah blah.

It's also on netflix that's where I've watched it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:26 am

It definitely got a good bit better the last part of the first season and now the first part of this one. It moved away some from the teenage appeal strategies in the narrative. I'd say some of the character development is often now closer to the actual age of the actors (many are in their early to mid 20s) instead of the age of the characters (perhaps the actors are influencing the story development).

Although now the title doesn't really make sense any more. I was thinking last night they should have named it "Earthfall" or something that would continue to make some sense as a title given the new directions the narrative has headed.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. The show does have some cliche moments but is pretty good without the relationships. Partly because they are split up, I suppose. Even the Octavia and Lincoln arc isn't bad. The show also generally does well at not making the kids being too good for their age and the adults making choices that might not be great but that are based on their experiences.

Clarke has become really prone to violence, maybe understandably so. It does bother me that the show has a trend of teens slashing their wrists, though.

Also, that space walk, or jump, was nifty.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 pm

dohnuts wrote:Also, that space walk, or jump, was nifty.
Yeah. But he would have died from that in real life. You don't survive exposure to the cold vacuum of space if your helmet breaks open.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:10 pm

raistlin wrote:
Yeah. But he would have died from that in real life. You don't survive exposure to the cold vacuum of space if your helmet breaks open.
Yes, yes, but let's not let science get in the way here...there's a lot of other scientific issues on the show. :D

Also, assuming that is the Lincoln memorial, is 100 years enough time for that level of vegetation? I'm kinda thinking if a nuke laid waste to the surrounding buildings the monument itself would be gone.

Continuing the Fallout vibe, welcome to the capital wasteland, Octavia.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:49 pm

raistlin wrote:

Actually... that was one part of the last episode I was impressed by. They didn't go standard Hollywood "OMG vaccum ur ded instantly" BS. They were pretty realistic with it.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 70603.html

Excerpt:
How long can a human live unprotected in space?

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:29 am

So I finally got to the end of season 1. Now I'm trying to get the latest season 2. Thought it seems that S2E1 is...... Really fast forwarded. It doesn't seem to match up with the end of season 1 at all. can anyone confirm that S2E1 is actually that dis-conjoined without spoilers?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 am

DJH wrote:Actually... that was one part of the last episode I was impressed by. They didn't go standard Hollywood "OMG vaccum ur ded instantly" BS. They were pretty realistic with it.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 70603.html

Excerpt:
How long can a human live unprotected in space?

If you don't try to hold your breath, exposure to space for half a minute or so is unlikely to produce permanent injury. Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness.
That's interesting and good to know. I knew that one had to not hold their breath, but I always thought the cold was a major issue that could cause death--or at least permanent damage--rather quickly.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:56 am

Halfapint wrote:So I finally got to the end of season 1. Now I'm trying to get the latest season 2. Thought it seems that S2E1 is...... Really fast forwarded. It doesn't seem to match up with the end of season 1 at all. can anyone confirm that S2E1 is actually that dis-conjoined without spoilers?
I didn't see a big problem with episode S02E01. I think you should just watch it and judge for yourself. :)

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:58 pm

raistlin wrote:
Halfapint wrote:So I finally got to the end of season 1. Now I'm trying to get the latest season 2. Thought it seems that S2E1 is...... Really fast forwarded. It doesn't seem to match up with the end of season 1 at all. can anyone confirm that S2E1 is actually that dis-conjoined without spoilers?
I didn't see a big problem with episode S02E01. I think you should just watch it and judge for yourself. :)
I don't think it jumps to far forward, maybe a day at most. Again, don't focus to much on the details...
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

learntwoshoot
Favorite Zombie Movies: World War Z

Post by learntwoshoot » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:28 pm

Ok I found this thread, watched season 1 on netflix, not engrossed like the walking dead, but more intrigued as to what happens next on Season 2 do they have episodes on line?
Schlueter Firearms Instruction
"Surviving doesn't always happen by accident. No one wants to rely on their enemies lack of skill and preparedness to survive. If and when the moment comes, be skilled and prepared enough to win the fight no matter how good the enemy."
http://www.learntwoshoot.com
http://www.zwarriortraining.com

Return to “Zombie Training Films”