New Series "The Last Ship"

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

New Series "The Last Ship"

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun May 25, 2014 9:31 am

I just saw an ad for TNT's "The Last Ship" starting 22 June. Starring an Arleigh Burke DDG and what I expect to be an inter-changeable cast of sailors and villains.Eric Dane plays the CO, Firefly alum Adam Baldwin as the XO and tough as nails PAW hottie Rhona Mitra as a Brit who somehow got on the ship.

The premise is the ship was at sea when a global pandemic wipes out most of the population. The uninfected crew must now find a cure.

The bad news: Michael Bay is behind this, so I expect high explosives and low IQs.

This already has lots of plot holes. The DDG is a gas turbine ship. It needs regular refueling. So does the crew, I wonder where they will get provisions. Although heavily armed and very capable, there isn't the kind of interior space they have shown in the previews. A battle group would have had a better mix of ship platforms and capabilities to support the idea of survivors at sea trying to save the world.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Re: New Series "The Last Ship"

Post by Bubba Enfield » Sun May 25, 2014 10:46 am

I read the book a few years ago. Haven't seen any promo for the show, but it could make an interesting series. Of course, it could be completely changed, wouldn't be the first time.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun May 25, 2014 11:17 am

I've seen the previews. I'll give it a whirl since this sort of thing is right up my alley. It's been my experience that these kinds of high concept quasi sci-fi, post-apocalyptic yarns don't often translate well to a long running series (Revolution, Terra Nova, to name a recent few). I think they'd work better as a mini series. At least the quest for a cure to the pandemic is something that might sustain this latest series.

As far as the lack of realism of a lone, unsupported ship making this quest? Meh. I've made my peace with that in all these kinds of shows. A battle group with support ships would make more sense, but it would detract from the narrative simplicity and well, there is the show's title, after all. Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, at least) dealt with the logistics of a long, unsupported mission about as well as any show in recent memory, and even that series took a lot of liberties. At least they had the good sense to portray poor Galactica as a shot out, creaking shadow of its former self by the series finale.

No, I prefer my "lone ship/vessel of humanity" shows to maybe pay a little initial lip service to supply/maintenance issues and then after the 3rd of 4th episode, just say f*ck it.

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sun May 25, 2014 4:18 pm

just hoping that the crew is not totally stupid. Bet they will bring a 'tame' Zombie on board to experiment on :crazy:

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sun May 25, 2014 5:37 pm

The virus has already killed most of the population. Survivors are either immune, or have remained isolated. If the infected areas are safe for the ships crew to enter, then the virus must be gone, so why a search for a "cure"?

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun May 25, 2014 6:03 pm

fred.greek wrote:The virus has already killed most of the population. Survivors are either immune, or have remained isolated. If the infected areas are safe for the ships crew to enter, then the virus must be gone, so why a search for a "cure"?
The trailer might help answer that.

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon May 26, 2014 9:13 pm

The pandemic story is a departure from the novel, it was a nuclear war. They weren't trying to save the world, just find food and make babies. Looks interesting though, too bad about the captain's hairdo.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Mon May 26, 2014 11:20 pm

So they're looking for the components of Cosmo DNA on Earth to save Humanity before a year runs out.

I guess Season 2 we find out who created the pandemic and the USS Nathan James will fight a protracted war to find and destroy the villain's hidden base.

Season 3 and they fit warp engines to the ship in search of a new homeworld.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Tue May 27, 2014 5:02 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:The pandemic story is a departure from the novel, it was a nuclear war. They weren't trying to save the world, just find food and make babies. Looks interesting though, too bad about the captain's hairdo.
The book was long. It was a tough read at times, but that was a long time ago that I read it. I'm interested to see just how they have reimagined the nuclear story line. In truth, why didn't they just make the story they wanted instead of trashing the premise of the original and stealing the title?
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 pm

doc66 wrote:In truth, why didn't they just make the story they wanted instead of trashing the premise of the original and stealing the title?
The book title brings with it a built in audience.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:48 am

First episode wasn't too bad. I'll give it a few of watching :)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:11 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:... too bad about the captain's hairdo.
Oh, absolutely.

Witchdoctor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original George Romero movies, 28 Days Later

Post by Witchdoctor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:43 pm

They really need science and US Navy advisers.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:56 am

The virus was weaponized by unknown agents, and could still be active. In episode 01, they really haven't gone into any areas w/o NBC gear.

If this is meant to be a Battlestar Galactica, there is already a Gaius Baltar.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 am

I was wondering about their decontamination procedures when they pulled all the food off the plague ship.
They're going to have to find a way to inoculate the crew very quickly, or the cast is going to drop dramatically.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 am

Having served on one of these ships I will say they got the interior looks pretty close. The passageways are about as narrow as the real thing and the terminology and equipment are fairly realistic.

The plot and dialogue on the other hand could be it's undoing in my opinion. Feels like they threw so much in the pilot.

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:00 am

Keith B wrote:I was wondering about their decontamination procedures when they pulled all the food off the plague ship.
They're going to have to find a way to inoculate the crew very quickly, or the cast is going to drop dramatically.
It looked like they stuck with cans and packages of food. I would assume a dunk into some alcohol and/or boiling water would kill the nasties.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Watched the 1st episode and wasn't all that impressed. Not a very well written show in my opinion.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:Having served on one of these ships I will say they got the interior looks pretty close. The passageways are about as narrow as the real thing and the terminology and equipment are fairly realistic.
One should hope, considering that the USS Halsey stands in for the USS Nathan James. Source
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Ditto on the science and hairdo points!

All that not withstanding...

Did anyone else have a Browncoat orgasm when Adam said "chain of command" (in ep #2)?!? :) :)

Even better is when the Adam "boom" commercial plays. ;)

Of course, Adam's haircut is perfect-o-mundo!

I'm just hoping Cap'n Hairdo dies and Adam takes over.
I'm also hoping TNT adds a Roku channel so we can watch this at home (no cable, fortunately I'm on an extended offsite gig for most of July).
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

Night Fox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead remake, Diary of the dead

Post by Night Fox » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:10 pm

I had my doubts ill be the first to admit about this series after hearing about it but thought id give it a whirl and checked out the first episode and gotta admit its got me hooked. Ive only seen the first two episodes of the show so far and by the second episode this has gotten me really really hooked onto this series.

Michael Bay you have done this justice in my opinion

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Oh.
Grandpa.

Guess what happens next week?!?

According to one (terrible) online TV listings:
Two Sailors Walk Into a Bar ...
NEW Sun 8/10
S01, E08
Slattery must step into the role of commanding officer
Shiny, eh?!? :)
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 pm

I've been pretty impressed with the show thus far. I'm always one day behind on the episodes though as I don't have cable. Interwebz only.

Wish they still had Marines on every Navy ship :)

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 am

Witchdoctor wrote:They really need science and US Navy advisers.
They probably have them, and they probably do what just about every production does with such advisors:

Advisor "that wouldn't work that way, this is how it would work - etc etc."

Director or Producers "**** that, we like how what we're doing looks. shoot it anyway."

I was put off a bit by a few of the derps in the first episode, but I gave it a couple more before deciding and now I'm hooked. It's not the greatest but it's a fun ride still.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”