Cody fired from Dual Survival

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctor Zed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later (not strictly speaking a zombie movie)
The Walking Dead (TV)

Re: Cody fired from Dual Survival

Post by Doctor Zed » Thu May 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Just viewed the 'special' they did ...

Wow - spin, spin, spin ... they did a real number on Cody.

Would be interesting to see a full account from his side (he's implied that there was a lot more going on but not elaborated) but I guess he has to hold his tongue and keep some sort of half decent relationship with the channel if he doesn't want to compromise his chances of doing more TV in the future.
--
Who's laughing now, huh? Who's laughing now?

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Doctor Zed wrote:Just viewed the 'special' they did ...

Wow - spin, spin, spin ... they did a real number on Cody.

Would be interesting to see a full account from his side (he's implied that there was a lot more going on but not elaborated) but I guess he has to hold his tongue and keep some sort of half decent relationship with the channel if he doesn't want to compromise his chances of doing more TV in the future.
He said on his site that he was trying to not speak out, and let it be. But if they continued to try and make him look bad that he would speak out. So after that "special" he might speak about the real story. They did do as much as they could to make him look bad, was it enough for him to respond? Not sure, I guess it will depend on if he feels they did enough to make an impact on his business. The funny part I thought from the "special" was how they hyped Joe while bashing Cody. Especially the boar killing incident. The other part I found funny, was Joe talking about his new partner, and how he better keep up and prove himself. LOL Joe, you came on the show after Cody had already done multi seasons and expected to be the boss. Now you get a replacement and don't want to give him the respect you expected Cody to give you. Too funny. I think that right there shows why the show failed, Joe is not a team player it seems unless your willing to only do what he wants.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctor Zed
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Thu May 22, 2014 2:07 pm

I thought that the first half of the show was reasonable and an interesting peek behind the scenes into how the show was produced - then in the second they seemed to try to address the main things with Joe that people on the internet forums had taken issue with whilst also starting to put Cody in a bad light.

To be fair, he should not have thrown the temper tantrum in Hawaii but I guess if you are under pressure stuff like that can happen. He should have apologised - then again, maybe at some stage he did but we didn't get to see that. Also the bit sometime afterwards where he was telling the production crew that he didn't want it shown on the episode which was captured by a camera 'accidentally' left on - sure it was accidentally left on :roll: Of course he wasn't going to want that bit broadcast as he was acting somewhat unprofessionally. But then the director (or whoever) spun it that as a result they had to 'not tell that piece of the story' and had to work around it ... BS. Any show is going to be highly edited and there will be many hours of footage never shown. No big deal to simply cut that part, the viewers weren't being cheated any more than normal.

The other stuff, it was abundantly clear why he was laughing at Joe and the snake. The 'I'm looking for rubies' bit ... they must really have been casting about for negative stuff to find. The part where he snapped at Joe putting on the sunglasses? I'm guessing there might have been some product placement going on there that was hacking him off but who knows? Nowhere near enough context.

Looking back, Dave got really lucky when he got kicked off between seasons as they didn't do a hatchet job on him, just brought Joe straight in for Season 3 and didn't really mention him again. I wonder was he watching last night's episode with a wry grin on his face? Cody did fire a bit of snark his way when the news came out (of Dave's sacking) which sounded almost like it may have been scripted by the production company.
--

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 22, 2014 3:01 pm

The whole hunting for rubies thing from what I saw was Cody keeping busy while waiting for the production team to set up a shot. Which I thought was a funny look into the behind the scenes. That instead of being able to just do what they need to do, they have to sit around and wait for the crew to set up for a shot of them acting natural. LOL

I agree the Hawaii scene had to have more going on. But I did notice, Cody says, "this bundle needs to stay dry, Joe are your hands dry?" Joe responds "No not really" Cody tries to get Joe to move to the dry land, but Joe just moves to a slightly shallower spot. And says this is good enough.

What I don't understand about that entire scene, was it did not even look like they had to throw stuff down. It looks like it would have been easy enough to climb down and step into the water, which Cody seems to have done after tossing everything into the pool, notice how Joe had jumped into the water and was soaked head to toe but Cody inches down then walks past Joe completely dry. To me it looks like the entire thing was a dumb ass set up from the production crew to make it seem like there was drama in keeping the gear safe, when the reality is none of it was necessary. I could be wrong but it seemed pretty contrived which might have been what got Cody so ticked off to start then on top having Joe not cooperate.

Something I found interesting, was Joe immediately telling the production crew he wanted to hunt boar after hearing they were on the island. So he just "happens to find a coldsteel boars spear head" and broken shaft. The spear head has no rust on the ground edge, really? In hot humid Hawaii that would have been rusted after just a day left out. It was so obvious that the crew set that out for him, that they left it so he could use it because they wanted to see him hunt a boar. It was an obvious set up, and after hearing the behind the scenes mention that Joe wanted to hunt a boar as soon as he heard they were on the island it seems to prove that it was a set up. And while I have no issue with hunting for food, or killing animals. Both the boar and the rattle snake incidents Joe's after kill look and actions were comical to an extreme. The rattle snake knife flick and visual "hunt for another enemy" and the boar again "hunt for another enemy" looking back and forth while crouched over his kill and even sort of alpha wolf seeming growling and claiming the kill with his body language. It looked more like a Hollywood movie scene than a reality show.

Over all I feel bad for the new guy Matt Graham who seems like a decent guy skilled knowledgeable and interesting, but teamed up with Joe and seeing what some of the behind the scene are like I see the show devolving horribly. I think Matt and Joe will likely work better together, but I think that in the end is a bad thing. I don't think Matt will call BS on Joe's BS nearly as much or as well as Cody did.

I think Cody is in the long run better off not being on the show anymore. And with Dave Canterbury's continued success in the survival scene outside the show after his dismissal and controversy, except being banned from mention on BCUSA, I don't see Cody having much problems with continuing on after the show. In fact he will likely get more "street cred" for not being on the show anymore.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctor Zed
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Thu May 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Apparently, looks like Cody is going to take legal action.

From the front page of RockyMountainBushcraft http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.co.uk/
Dual Survival star Cody Lundin pulled no punches in a Facebook post he wrote today titled "Dual Survival Defamation." In the post, Lundin accused the Discovery Channel of defaming his character, and said that his lawyers had already sent cease and desist letters to the Discovery Channel prior to the airing of "Journey's End to a New Beginning" to try and stop it from being aired.
Should be 'interesting' :shock: ... Sad to see things end up in a rancorous legal battle though.
--

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Doctor Zed wrote:... Sad to see things end up in a rancorous legal battle though.
I agree, it is sad. And I would say Cody would be better off just letting it go and moving on. Maybe giving his own side in interviews or on his site, but the legal action will do little for him. If he wins then it will not change that the episode "defaming" him was already watched. The only positive I can see of the lawsuit is possible precedent for future reality shows. Though I imagine the reality show legal teams will make sure to put as many legal restraints on future stars to prevent any actions after a show. So in the long run again it will do little to nothing to improve the situation.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri May 23, 2014 10:23 am

He couldn't prevent any previous airings, but they could stop future ones and demand all copies.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sat May 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Why did the let Dave go? I understand the issue with his resume, but his skills are legitimate.
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:17 pm

In the modern, profit-and-marketing driven entertainment industry, anything that would event HINT of pissing off a huge segment of your target audience (active and retired military and supporters) won't last long.

mystic_1
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sun May 25, 2014 11:43 pm

D-Train wrote:Why did the let Dave go? I understand the issue with his resume, but his skills are legitimate.
Better question is why did Discovery get suckered again by another resume padding guy when replacing him? You would think ok they got fooled once, but next time they will make sure to check they guy's credentials before putting him on. But no, Joe did the same type of BS as before and even worse, he has a terrible inflated ego that makes him difficult for Cody to work with and for the audience to like.

Instead they fire the guy who was exactly what he claimed, Cody has the skills and knowledge he said he did. Cody is way better off not being on the show, and Discovery is run by idiots.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:52 am

Thought I'd share this update. More drama. Doesn't look too good for the future of the struggling show.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201410 ... membership

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:24 am

Boondock wrote:Thought I'd share this update. More drama. Doesn't look too good for the future of the struggling show.

Well this means the show should be firing Teti, like they did Dave. Though for some reason I think they will try and keep him around.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 am

Boondock wrote:Thought I'd share this update. More drama. Doesn't look too good for the future of the struggling show.

Man what a mess. Boondock you did call it, there was no way he could of took SERE at Ft. Bragg just based on his career military time line.

This part also gave me a chuckle
“Never have I said that I served in the military in Iraq or Afghanistan,” he said at the time. “I want to clear the record right now. I was in a government counterterrorism unit doing direct action missions right alongside Tier 1 assets.”

He insisted the government unit in which he served was so secret that he was barred from even discussing it. “Don’t even guess about it because that will get you in big trouble. Don’t even take liberties at guessing because you’re actually crossing a legal line right there. ... I am not at liberty to discuss — ethically, legally, morally — who I worked for,” he said.
Yet he put it on his website, his resume, and threw it out to anyone at Discovery Channel to get the job.

That statement is almost as lame as the line "Don't tell anyone but I work for the CIA. If I told you what I do there, I would have to kill you."

So what makes this weird is he says he was a private contractor the one minute, and that he was a direct CIA employee the next. Which is it? Was he hired directly through the CIA and work in the Special Activities Division, or did he work for a private security contractor like GK Sierra or MVM, Inc. and was contracted out to the CIA? His Resume says one thing but his statement say something else.

Something tells me there are a few people at the CIA who would LOVE to make a statement that this guy is full of crap. I'm thinking if this CIA/contractor stuff is BS too it will eventually piss off enough people where the truth will be leaked out in one way or another.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 pm

I am so over this show in any way, shape or form. I'm just happy Dave is doing stuff on youtube again. An it isn't the same rehashed discovery channel doo doo that we've seen a thousand times before.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:53 pm

I can just see the new show Solo Survival with Matt Graham.

Matt finds a nice location builds a kick ass shelter gets plenty of food, and lounges around. A month later he is still there just chillin and enjoying life. The camera crew leaves and returns 6 mths later to find Matt set up better than Swiss Family Robinson. And Matt just happy as can be. Discovery producer gets mad and waves Matt's contract around saying he has to return or they will sue him for every cent he has. Matt refuses saying "I don't care I have everything I need here"

Thus ends the Solo Survival show with Matt. :rofl:

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:

Man what a mess. Boondock you did call it, there was no way he could of took SERE at Ft. Bragg just based on his career military time line.

Sure he could have. We already established that on page 1 of this thread...but that's not important.

This part also gave me a chuckle Me too! LOL!
“Never have I said that I served in the military in Iraq or Afghanistan,” he said at the time. “I want to clear the record right now. I was in a government counterterrorism unit doing direct action missions right alongside Tier 1 assets.”

He insisted the government unit in which he served was so secret that he was barred from even discussing it. “Don’t even guess about it because that will get you in big trouble. Don’t even take liberties at guessing because you’re actually crossing a legal line right there. ... I am not at liberty to discuss — ethically, legally, morally — who I worked for,” he said.
What Teti DOESN'T want anyone to know is that he was PNG'd OUT OF THAT UNIT!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:16 pm

I was hoping you'd chime in, ODA 226. You're insight in these and other matters always is appreciated. Thanks.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”