Cody fired from Dual Survival

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cody fired from Dual Survival

Post by Boondock » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:21 pm

Looks like Cody might be gone. I'll take a guess and say the show will be, too. Story's starting to trickle out via Cody's Facebook and other forums (BCUSA, AR15) and wikipedia. Here's the statement from Cody:
Dual Survival Update

Dear Campers,
Unfortunately, I have been fired by Discovery Channel for differences over safety and health concerns on the show and will no longer be a part of Dual Survival.

Although I’ll miss elements of the show, what I’ll miss the most are my fans and the opportunity to teach - on a global level – life saving skills, indigenous culture, and values of integrity and respect toward our natural world.

I have received numerous letters from viewers. Many are from kids, or their parents or grandparents, describing in detail how the show has changed their lives. It has brought families together, inspired kids to go outdoors, and motivated moms and dads around the world to take that family camping trip, many for the first time. If I can use a TV show to encourage people to turn off TV and turn on nature, I have done my job.

Thank you all very much for your support over the years. Be safe and prepared, and maybe I’ll train with you in the woods some day!

Stay classy,
Cody Lundin
That's all I know at the moment. I know a lot of people on ZS are fans of Cody and the show.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Cody fired from Dual Survival

Post by Halfapint » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:26 pm

That's unfortunate I really enjoyed the show, I liked it better with Dave and Cody but oh well. I can't say I'm surprised by it at all, shows have to keep pushing in order to make some stupid drama in order to get in the news, and better ratings. Cody was a great teacher, I have looked into doing one of his classes. Thanks for the heads up
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 pm

I never watched the show much, but I will always respect cody for writing the first survival book I'd read that wasn't just a re-hash of the army manual.
Stay classy indeed, i'm sure we'll see more of him.

I bet the show wanted him to do something silly and he told them were to stick it. He's a bit nutty but he's not dumb.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Doctor Zed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later (not strictly speaking a zombie movie)
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:39 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:I never watched the show much, but I will always respect cody for writing the first survival book I'd read that wasn't just a re-hash of the army manual.
Stay classy indeed, i'm sure we'll see more of him.

I bet the show wanted him to do something silly and he told them were to stick it. He's a bit nutty but he's not dumb.
I liked Cody on the show and his 98.4 Degree book was interesting and informative. However, it's kind of karma that he's now been kicked off the show after his snarky comments about Dave Canterbury in the wake of his sacking.

Thought that the Cody/Dave pairing was excellent. Cody/Teti less so. It will be interesting to see who the producers bring in to fill his position.
--
Who's laughing now, huh? Who's laughing now?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 pm

I think this thread might be a dupe.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 9&t=111370

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Yup. Thread beat the one I started by about 45 mins. My bad. Sorry. Didn't notice it in the Winchester. Maybe a mod can merge the two?

Doctor Zed
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Mon May 19, 2014 11:16 am

Well, they've just aired Cody's last episode.

Got to say, the production team are being somewhat naughty trying to milk suspense out of Cody's departure. They've been implying that tensions between the characters have been building up over the course of the season and culminated with the incident where he and Joe argued over where to pitch camp for the night on the mountain/glacier, presented as breaking point. They're even urging people to tune in next week to find out who goes and who stays. :roll:

I think I'd be rather miffed if I was Cody. Will be interesting to see how his replacement fares but with both original protagonists now fired by Discovery, it's difficult to see that the show is going to be able to keep the 'feel' that attracted the viewers in the first place. Definitely the partnership and interaction between Cody and Dave in S1 and S2 was what made the show great.
--

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon May 19, 2014 11:19 am

Cody is so bizarrely good at what he does you end up overlooking all the quirks and radical approaches because you know he can actually pull it off. He mentioned his site years back the problems with survival shows, him ending up on Dual Survival was initially seen as hypocritical but he seemed to play it straight nonetheless.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon May 19, 2014 3:33 pm

I was a huge fan of both Dave and Cody from before their stint on Dual Survivor. Dave from his Youtube channel, and Cody from his books. Discovery really dropped the ball letting them go.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 pm

I just watched the Norway episode and it was ridiculously funny. Joe talks about Cody being a risk, but at the beginning of the episode decided while hanging in a hole with his anchor points weakening that going deeper and swinging on the rope was ok to retrieve a back pack. Then the shelter incident he wants to build a shelter in a place no rational survival expert would ever build a shelter. All because he feels worried about Cody being able to handle the conditions in shorts and socks. Instead of asking Cody how he is holding up, Joe wants to make decisions for his partner.

Joe talks a good game but again and again has shown very faulty survival skills. From drinking his own pee, taking risks that shouldn't be done, to making horrible suggestions the guy was lucky he had an expert like Cody around to keep him alive. He is not as bad as Bear Gryls (though is a pee drinker too), but not as good as Dave Canterbury. Joe's biggest weakness though is his inability to work well with someone who has more knowledge than he does. Joe obviously does not understand or appreciate that Cody knows what he is doing. Joe seems unable to break out of his narrow ideas of how to endure a bad situation for survival. While Cody takes his time and really thinks shit out and takes advantage of his huge amounts of knowledge and experience. Cody also is very good and admitting when things are out of his knowledge.

Now with Cody gone, I feel really bad for who ever gets stuck with Joe. I can see Joe steam rolling pretty much anyone who ends up having to work with him. I am curious who Discovery thinks can fill Cody's bare feet. There is pretty much no one I can think of who would similarly have a knowledge base and skills along with mentality that would also ever consider doing the show.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Doctor Zed
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Tue May 20, 2014 4:44 am

ineffableone wrote:I just watched the Norway episode and it was ridiculously funny. Joe talks about Cody being a risk, but at the beginning of the episode decided while hanging in a hole with his anchor points weakening that going deeper and swinging on the rope was ok to retrieve a back pack. Then the shelter incident he wants to build a shelter in a place no rational survival expert would ever build a shelter. All because he feels worried about Cody being able to handle the conditions in shorts and socks. Instead of asking Cody how he is holding up, Joe wants to make decisions for his partner.

Joe talks a good game but again and again has shown very faulty survival skills. From drinking his own pee, taking risks that shouldn't be done, to making horrible suggestions the guy was lucky he had an expert like Cody around to keep him alive. He is not as bad as Bear Gryls (though is a pee drinker too), but not as good as Dave Canterbury. Joe's biggest weakness though is his inability to work well with someone who has more knowledge than he does. Joe obviously does not understand or appreciate that Cody knows what he is doing. Joe seems unable to break out of his narrow ideas of how to endure a bad situation for survival. While Cody takes his time and really thinks shit out and takes advantage of his huge amounts of knowledge and experience. Cody also is very good and admitting when things are out of his knowledge.

Now with Cody gone, I feel really bad for who ever gets stuck with Joe. I can see Joe steam rolling pretty much anyone who ends up having to work with him. I am curious who Discovery thinks can fill Cody's bare feet. There is pretty much no one I can think of who would similarly have a knowledge base and skills along with mentality that would also ever consider doing the show.
Cody is supposedly going to be replaced by Matt Graham from "Dude you're screwed".

I suspect Joe is following direction being given by the shows producers. They clearly wanted to have a dynamic of 'tree hugging outdoor survivalist vs hardcore military operator' and Joe was very much providing the gung-ho, high speed operator aspect to Cody's 'back to nature, easy going hippy' persona. I suspect that they didn't think that Joe's predecessor Dave was 'military' enough as he was very much an outdoorsman and actually played reasonably well with Cody as he clearly respected his abilities and had a good range of survival abilities and experience himself, gained outside the military.

In any case, I can see the show getting further and further away from any vestige of reality. Obviously, the show was 'produced' from day one but certainly in S1 and S2 it came across as reasonably authentic and not too far sensationalistic and scripted (aside from the gunpowder cauterisation incident).
--

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:59 am

I think the producers should hire my old friend Mykel Hawke (he really is an old teammate of mine) and let him and Joe "The Piss Drinker" Teti fight each each other to the death in a "Dual Thunderdome" scenario.

I'll put my money on Mykey!

http://scotty-stolenvaloroffendersexpos ... poser.html
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 am

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue May 20, 2014 10:45 am

Boondock wrote:
Holy @$&! :shock:
^ Ditto on that ^

It takes some real brass ones to not only lie on so many fronts about your background, but to assume that no one will eventually call you out on it when you apply for a TV gig.

Seriously, why couldn't he just be happy with saying "14 years of military experience, and experience as a security contractor in Iraq and Afghanistan", That is a respectable background, and I would be the first to admonish critics for nitpicking him too much that the majority the military experience was in the reserves during peacetime.

I instead he had to lie and say, "20 years military experience, Iraq and Afghan Combat Vet, Special Forces with both USMC Force Recon and the Green Berets, and CIA SAD/SOG."

If that is true then I won an Oscar and the Nobel Peace price, my wife is a supermodel, and I was voted one of the top 10 sexiest men alive ( I don't want to say I'm #1 because that would be bragging.)

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue May 20, 2014 12:22 pm

I do seem to recall JT, in one of his early episodes, mentioning that he attended SERE school. Kinda scratching my head now as to when he would've done that in the military. Not gonna hammer the guy any more though.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Too funny that they replace a resume padder with another resume padder. I have to say I feel bad for all the military guys out there as this is going to make all of them look bad having two in a row outed for similar reasons.

Now the big question? Will Dual Survival fire Joe like they did Dave? Or is it now just time to end the show and forget it?
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm

I never cared for potty mouth Joe and stopped watching.I want my kids to watch with me, so it is Les Stroud's Survivorman and Son or Ray Mears. Would love to see a Ray Mears Cody Lundeen mash up.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Tue May 20, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:I never cared for potty mouth Joe and stopped watching.I want my kids to watch me, so Les Stroud's Survivorman and Son or Ray Mears. Would love to see a Ray Mears Cody Lundeen mash up.
Ray and Cody would never be seen again, as they would likely wander off without the cameras and never return to civilization. :rofl:

OK seriously though Ray and Cody together would be interesting, though not so sure how well they would work together. I imagine though they could get a long pretty well. Hell if they tossed Les Ray and Cody together is would be a trifecta of awesome. I have often said I could see Les and Cody working together well.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Doctor Zed wrote:
ineffableone wrote:Now with Cody gone, I feel really bad for who ever gets stuck with Joe. I can see Joe steam rolling pretty much anyone who ends up having to work with him. I am curious who Discovery thinks can fill Cody's bare feet. There is pretty much no one I can think of who would similarly have a knowledge base and skills along with mentality that would also ever consider doing the show.
Cody is supposedly going to be replaced by Matt Graham from "Dude you're screwed".
Well he is used to the military guys as he is friends with the cast of Dude your Screwed, and is not anywhere near the "weird hippie" survival expert Cody is. Though he does seem to have some decent knowledge and skills. At this point I think it is time for Dual Survival to go off the air though, with reports of Joe padding his resume and Cody being fired. The show seems doomed at this point.

BTW folks might want to check Cody's website http://www.codylundin.com/wordpress/dua ... ification/ It looks like Cody is trying to not say what happened and why he was fired, but it also sounds like if the story actually comes out it will be in his favor not the Discovery Networks. Cody seems to be trying to walk the line of telling as little as he can while defending himself against the insinuations Discovery is making.

I found this article very funny from Cody's site http://www.codylundin.com/wordpress/dua ... al-skills/
As an example, going to a so-called survival instructor who doesn’t have a solid base in human physiology is like going to an auto mechanic who doesn’t understand how an engine runs. The human body, after all, is what you are trying to keep alive. The more your instructor knows about how your body functions, the better they will be in showing you how to keep it alive. That said, a physician is not an outdoor survival instructor.
LOL :lol:

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear Cody is off the show. Bought and read his books, LOVE the house he built and concur with his concept that survival is hinges on maintaining auto-thermoregulation. Plus the dude is just plain natural and charismatic. His fire making skills is phenomenal.

Didn't care much for JT's attitude, and lacks Cody's natural charisma.

The one negative thing I will say about Cody
I understand his semi-religious commitment to bare footedness and shorts however, his choice of just socks and shorts in Norway was plain ridiculous. Absolutely no excuse not to be panted (sp?) and shoed in that environment.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Cockroach wrote:The one negative thing I will say about Cody
I understand his semi-religious commitment to bare footedness and shorts however, his choice of just socks and shorts in Norway was plain ridiculous. Absolutely no excuse not to be panted (sp?) and shoed in that environment.
While I would never do it, Cody has already proved he can do it in earlier Dual Survival episodes.

Season 1 episode 2 "Failed Ascent"
In this episode, Canterbury’s alpine experience becomes crucial as he and Lundin are stranded in New Zealand atop a mountain with limited supplies. Lundin always walks around barefoot, but given the environment and freezing conditions, he is forced to improvise by donning socks as he and Canterbury navigate across 8,000-foot (2,400 m) glacial peaks, cross deadly crevasses and traverse deep rocky canyons.
Season 2 episode 2 "Buried Alive"
Lundin and Canterbury travel to Wyoming's Rocky Mountains and encounter snow, frozen waterfalls and steep cliffs.
Season 2 episode 5 "Frozen Plains"
This episode takes Lundin and Canterbury back to the Western US to face below-freezing temperatures in the Great Plains of Montana.
As Cody mentioned he teaches winter survival, he knows if he can handle it, and he is able.

I do think that it would be smarter to wear some pants, and to wear some muklucks or something but I have to give props to Cody for being a bad ass who can go through harsh winter temps in shorts and wool socks.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:34 am

Boondock wrote:I do seem to recall JT, in one of his early episodes, mentioning that he attended SERE school. Kinda scratching my head now as to when he would've done that in the military. Not gonna hammer the guy any more though.
All SF Qualified personnel have to go through High-Risk SERE now at Ft. Bragg. NOT a "fun" school.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed May 21, 2014 8:46 am

ODA 226 wrote:All SF Qualified personnel have to go through High-Risk SERE now at Ft. Bragg. NOT a "fun" school.
I'm aware of that, I asked to attend a few times when I was at Bragg. I'm just having trouble pinning down the timeline of WHEN that would've happened during JT's active military career.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed May 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Boondock wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:All SF Qualified personnel have to go through High-Risk SERE now at Ft. Bragg. NOT a "fun" school.
I'm aware of that, I asked to attend a few times when I was at Bragg. I'm just having trouble pinning down the timeline of WHEN that would've happened during JT's active military career.
OK. I went back to check the posted copies of his records. Highly possible he could've attended SERE.

Which begs a new question: Why isn't SERE school listed in his MPRJ or on his own civilian resume?

I may have overlooked it (I am juggling a toddler at the moment) or that blog post doesn't show the entire story.

I dunno. All these Dual Survival casting dramas have gotten me a bit perplexed. :roll:

Return to “Zombie Training Films”