HELIX

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lupus lefou
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fav Z Movie: zombieland,
Fav Z Real life experience: living in downtown Detroit for 12 years

HELIX

Post by lupus lefou » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 pm

The creator of modern Battlestar Galactica is making a zombie series: Starts tonight.

http://www.syfy.com/helix
Lefou
ZS4668
ZS 005 (PNW region)
Combat Vet - Desert Storm, 3/8 Cav, 3rd Armored Div, US Army, 19K, 19E
CERT team, Renton, WA

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."
- Bruce Lee

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Re: HELIX

Post by carolinafan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Not sure if it's really zombie related, just mutating virus. Looks like it could be an interesting series.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Caught it this afternoon, seems pretty neat so far, we'll see how realistic they can keep it (as far as public reaction goes).
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm

We watched it.

Found it fairly good. We will continue to watch...

Definitely looks grimdark.
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Like what I saw when it replayed at 11PM but I dozed off. Hey, I'm getting old.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 am

It's no battle star galactica, but I'll keep with it.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Reminds me more of Resident Evil so far than any zombie series.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:35 am

I have been enjoying this series so far. It will be interesting to see what direction they take it. Could turn into a viral apocalypse, or might go another direction. I would be surprised if the story moves out of the Arctic as the main setting before the end of the season.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

carolinafan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Zombieland

Post by carolinafan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:37 pm

raistlin wrote:I have been enjoying this series so far. It will be interesting to see what direction they take it. Could turn into a viral apocalypse, or might go another direction. I would be surprised if the story moves out of the Arctic as the main setting before the end of the season.
You almost think that one of the vectors has to escape, or the mad scientist gets out and continues his research elsewhere.

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:50 pm

carolinafan wrote:You almost think that one of the vectors has to escape, or the mad scientist gets out and continues his research elsewhere.
Did you see the latest episode? The virus may get out in a test tube. That's actually better for a long running narrative because they can run all kinds of plotlines about trying to get it back, and then finally let it loose whenever they want some point in the future even after the Arctic base has been abandoned (or destroyed) in the story.

I think Hatake is done with his mad scientist research. His interest in the research appears to have mainly been about Julia, and so his future actions will support her well-being. He already killed for her. He'll turn into one of the good guys. In fact, I wonder if he's not going to come up with some way to cure Jordan?

The big question right now seems to be whether or not Hitake, etc. are aliens or some kind of advanced human evolution? I'll vote for aliens because that, too, would seem better for developing a longer, ongoing series.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

carolinafan

Post by carolinafan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:07 pm

raistlin wrote:
carolinafan wrote:You almost think that one of the vectors has to escape, or the mad scientist gets out and continues his research elsewhere.
Did you see the latest episode? The virus may get out in a test tube. That's actually better for a long running narrative because they can run all kinds of plotlines about trying to get it back, and then finally let it loose whenever they want some point in the future even after the Arctic base has been abandoned (or destroyed) in the story.

I think Hatake is done with his mad scientist research. His interest in the research appears to have mainly been about Julia, and so his future actions will support her well-being. He already killed for her. He'll turn into one of the good guys. In fact, I wonder if he's not going to come up with some way to cure Jordan?

The big question right now seems to be whether or not Hitake, etc. are aliens or some kind of advanced human evolution? I'll vote for aliens because that, too, would seem better for developing a longer, ongoing series.

I'm actually catching up right now :)

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:44 am

carolinafan wrote:I'm actually catching up right now :)
Oppps. Sorry for the spoilers. Hope you didn't read everything I said :)

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm

I really wanted to like this show, but after X amount of suffering through episodes, I firmly believe it stinks

carolinafan

Post by carolinafan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 pm

raistlin wrote:
carolinafan wrote:I'm actually catching up right now :)
Oppps. Sorry for the spoilers. Hope you didn't read everything I said :)

Lol no worries. I'm sufficiently intrigued.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:35 pm

carolinafan wrote:Lol no worries. I'm sufficiently intrigued.
It's gotten even more interesting with last night's episode. What they revealed last night allows them to continue building a very interesting narrative with a much larger scope. With only three episodes left this season, I hope they got enough viewers for a 2nd season.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:03 pm

I keep watch hoping that one of the 'vectors' will finally get to the CDC doctor.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:31 pm

They're back...
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:57 am

I really liked season 1...from what I've read season 2 doesnt sound very good. We'll see.

Happy Go Lucky
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, I'll add more as they come to me.....

Post by Happy Go Lucky » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:39 pm

I watched the entire first season over the course of three weeks (God I love Netflix).

The whole thing started great and I really enjoyed it.

But after about mid-season it just kept developing with so many plot lines, unfathomable actions by characters, and weird concepts thrown out then not follow up or explained.

By the end of the season, I got the impression the script writers were just throwing anything they could think of on the screen hoping to be able to use it later.

It short, the show just flew off the rails, and I won't be watching the second season -well maybe, if I hear the got a new writer/show lead- because the show did have great promise.

It's deja vu "Lost" all over again.
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:34 pm

I saw most of season one. Season two premier has a lot of back and forth over a 30 year span, hard to follow if you aren't looking at the screen after the commercials, and miss the timeline message.
Image Image

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Davo wrote:I saw most of season one. Season two premier has a lot of back and forth over a 30 year span, hard to follow if you aren't looking at the screen after the commercials, and miss the timeline message.
Yep. Lots of things are hard to follow when you're not really paying attention and haven't seen all of the backstory that the plot builds on. Just givin ya a hard time! The timeline bouncing trick in the first episode that you point out (which is a bit of a spoiler you gave considering they build on the tension of a potential situation before they've shown the viewer that these things are happening at different times) was pretty neat, but I could see it as being hard to catch if you weren't really all there while watching it.

The first seasons started out very well. This network isn't really known for amazing shows, and I think this was a star in their line up. I think that as the first season progressed they added in a whole lot of complexity and intrigue in a very short time.

I think the complexity involved in the start of the second season is definitely ratcheted down from where things were at the end of season 1. They do intentionally start the viewer in a position where the viewer is playing catch up for a bit. This trick is pretty commonly used in thrillers because it's hard to let the viewer see things from the perspective of multiple people and still keep things interesting.

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Well, of course, I'm catching up on the ZS forums while the show is on... :)
Image Image

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by raistlin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:23 pm

So far I'm not liking Season 2 as much as Season 1.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:50 pm

I'd say I'm okay with season 2 so far. While it has all the usual plot device that lazy script writers resort to, it hasn't featured as much of the CDC doctor whose character I find so annoying - although every time he repeats the 'you must leave, you're in danger but I can't tell you why' I want to throw things at my TV.

Return to “Zombie Training Films”