Naked and Afraid

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Naked and Afraid

Post by Regulator » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Discovery's latest survival show. First episode's over, anyone watch? Thoughts?
Naked and Afraid takes "survival of the fittest" to the next level. Each week, a new pair of complete and total strangers - one man and one woman - will find themselves stranded in and, quite literally, exposed to some of the world's most extreme weather environments. Each duo will be left high and dry with no food, no water...and no clothes. They must survive on their own for a full 21 days, with nothing but one personal item each and the knowledge that the only prize is their pride and sense of accomplishment.
Naked and Afraid

TacAir

Re: Naked and Afraid

Post by TacAir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Media assisted suicide?

Just the trailers were enough for me to mark this as 'no show'. If, however, self-torture of strangers appeals to you, by all means, enjoy. I take a pass.

What did you think?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:21 pm

I have only gotten to see the clips on Discovery’s website as I don’t have TV. I’ll watch the show once it’s posted on their site. So far I think it’s your basic made for TV drama/(far from) reality type show with the “OMG they naked!” gimmick. Sad and lame, but I’ll watch more and hope it gets better.

I do like the premise of the show although I think the nudity was a very unnecessary handicap done just for ratings. Obviously people might find themselves stranded with nothing, but without even clothes is very improbable.

Putting two strangers in a survival situation without camera crews, no food or water or equipment for 21 days would be a tough challenge and make for an interesting show. This is what many of us had hoped the show Survivor would be. A real survival challenge in which people would have to rely on skills, improvise and adapt.

I think Discovery decided to cater to the shock crowd with the nudity gimmick and as a result lost the viewership of many people who otherwise would have watched this show. To bad, I remember when Discovery had a lot of really good shows.

I’ll watch a couple out of curiosity. Survival skills are an interest of mine.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I watched 2 minutes. In those two minutes they found a water vine and took a large drink making sure to get enough angles to blur out the woman's topside a few times, never coming close to blurring out the frontside below the waist of either, and making sure to show naked buttocks on more than 2 occasions. It cut to commercial after their drink and I fell asleep on the couch. :)

I really didn't watch enough to garner an opinion, but the guy had a machete to cut the vine and knew enough to find the vine. I can't see how they could send anyone but a trained professional into a situation like that, and I agree that the "naked" part is a gimmick.

I can say that I watched Naked Castaway and enjoyed it. He wasn't naked after the first few days, but the "show" was more like a 4 (maybe 5) part mini-series as it seems more than a few of his days were spent weaving his shelter and clothing and more that a few days only looking for food. Not very enthralling TV, so they cut weeks at a time. Although some of the items seemed a bit contrived (the goat), the emotional part of surviving alone for 60 days on a desert island was phenomenal. Not to spoil anything, but the raw emotion was intense.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Nutpantz

Post by Nutpantz » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I will watch the show...
Maybe...
no clothes...Really seems pointless.
Discovery has really lost my respect in recent years.
they once prided themselves on their programming
More drama than reality (big surprise) now.
And they play fast and loose with facts vs fiction.

But I may watch the show regardless...

written in your mud with my stick.
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:09 pm

I watched it...and enjoyed the "social experiment" aspect of it. It shows how weak the majority of our culture is...as I was watching it, I was telling my wife, indigenous peoples have been doing this for thousands of years...you put a suburban American "survivalist" in there, and there walls break down REAL quick. Which brings up a oft forgotten aspect of survival...mental fortitude.

The characters in this first episode were a bit wack-o if you ask me, but the others look promising. Hopefully the next few pairs have a little bit more survival skills. One thing the show does do good, is show how rough it really can be for the UNPREPARED. They were only allowed to bring one item each, the guy brought a ferossium rod and the chick brought a cheap machete...but it also brought to light how much a difference only having one or two tools can make.

Aside from the idiocy of the characters (at times), it brought some things to light for me...they get there shelter built, and then the rain sets in...and they have a hard time getting the fire wood to light. In a survival situation with the potential for rain, gather at least SOME fire wood first and protect it from the elements...your shelter can wait 5 minutes.

But this also falls under the pre-text of practicing in real conditions, which I myself am guilty of doing (soon to be remedied). We practice fire building, wood work, construction, etc., on bright sunny days...if you don't get out much, practice it on a sunny day first, then practice it in the rain, and even the snow if given the chance. Not just your process, but your gear/kits, etc. also need tested in different weather. Most survival scenarios aren't on a warm sunny day.

I'll watch a few more episodes...it's new and fresh, and with TWD off, it's the only thing on TV right now.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Lycosa
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland

Post by Lycosa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:46 pm

I watched the show. It was alright I guess. I really didn't care for the guy at all. I thought he was a bit over the top on his emotional issues and how he perceived young people and women. It was a good example of how to 'barely' survive more than anything else. I'm glad I've taken the time to learn what plants are edible. Plants might not give the protein kick that animals do, but they are sure easier to get and dependable if you know what you're doing. Watching them was a good reminder how starvation begets apathy and apathy begets starvation and can eventually kill you. The show was also a good example of bad survival psychology and how attitude can make or break you. I thought the woman did well at least with her attitude. She pretty much knew what she had to do to survive... both the experience and being placed with someone who was volatile.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Totally Pointless . I'll pass on this one.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 am

Ok, I watched the entire first episode last night.

This is a show about the psychology of "survival" and spent more time focusing on the peoples' mood than anything they did to make the 21 days better. Based upon the weight lost by both parties, there wasn't much surviving going on, just waiting out the 21 days knowing that they weren't going ot starve to death in 21 days.

There is no "how to" involved and that detracts from the experience, to me. Since there were small amounts of interaction/discussion with the camera men anyway, I wouldn't think it would be too hard for them to ask for explanations on how the people did what they did. There was one small tidbit about drinking water directly from a stream, but nothing on how they built their shelter or clothing (what I wanted to know). If nothing else, having them explain the why's and how's of what they were doing and why provides re-assurance that the people involved were actually versed in survivalism. Based upon the happenings, and the mistakes I saw (as someone who would never consider walking into a jungle naked with one tool, regardless of the payday), I just don't trust that either person had any knowledge greater than the average cub scout.

They also pick the pairings based upon possible volatility. The show I watched had a 40 year old guy who frankly said he does not like the "25 year old generation" before he even met his partner. Imagine that....she was 24 and a student. Next week is a former military man paired with what appears to be a middle aged hippy (think female Cody Lundin).

I will probably give this one more chance.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

pat

Post by pat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 am

I only watched the 3rd episode (Island from hell) and a few clips from the first two.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked ... m-hell.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The girl in episode 3 was actualy pretty cool and really seem to know her stuff. The army guy well
not what I would expect for a "special forces" guys or even a regular one!

Episode 4 seems to be in the same mold ie strong women and "goofy" guy.
I get the feeling the pairings were scued (spelling?) on purpose. Hopefully the laters ones
will be more even in the interest of fairness to both genders!

Doctor Zed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later (not strictly speaking a zombie movie)
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 am

pat wrote:I only watched the 3rd episode (Island from hell) and a few clips from the first two.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked ... m-hell.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The girl in episode 3 was actualy pretty cool and really seem to know her stuff. The army guy well
not what I would expect for a "special forces" guys or even a regular one!

Episode 4 seems to be in the same mold ie strong women and "goofy" guy.
I get the feeling the pairings were scued (spelling?) on purpose. Hopefully the laters ones
will be more even in the interest of fairness to both genders!

Just saw the fourth episode and the woman certainly came off looking a lot better than the guy, who frankly was portrayed as a complete idiot.

I mean, what sort of fool chooses to bring swimming goggles as their single permitted 'survival item' (instead of a fire starting aid - it took them something like 7 days to get a fire going) and then makes a big deal about not being into water and swimming and refusing to take part in any of the attempts to catch aquatic life? That must have been a set up by the producers.

It was also interesting that he was some kind of 'survival instructor' but seemed to not have the faintest idea about any survival techniques or at least, was unable to implement them properly and gave up too readily if something didn't instantly work out as planned.

That said, apparently in the first episode, the overly whiny guy in that one broke a number of toes very early on in the experience but the show failed to mention that to the viewers or show any reference made to it by the participants (plus the woman who got sick from eating the turtle received medical aid including IVs, again not shown or disclosed) so it looks like they just decide on a narrative for each episode which is designed to create drama and get viewers polarised and then edit to suit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -told.html

I'd certainly love to hear the participants' takes on what happened.
--
Who's laughing now, huh? Who's laughing now?

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 am

Doctor Zed wrote: Just saw the fourth episode and the woman certainly came off looking a lot better than the guy, who frankly was portrayed as a complete idiot.

I mean, what sort of fool chooses to bring swimming goggles as their single permitted 'survival item' (instead of a fire starting aid - it took them something like 7 days to get a fire going) and then makes a big deal about not being into water and swimming and refusing to take part in any of the attempts to catch aquatic life? That must have been a set up by the producers.

It was also interesting that he was some kind of 'survival instructor' but seemed to not have the faintest idea about any survival techniques or at least, was unable to implement them properly and gave up too readily if something didn't instantly work out as planned.

I'd certainly love to hear the participants' takes on what happened.
This^

My kids and I watched for pure entertainment/drama value. Most of the episodes were couples waiting out the 21 days, living off the fat they obviously put on for the show. Really not putting themselves out much, minimal survival mode.

Most of the men were whiny babies.

The Africa episode: The special forces trainer who commenced the march to their first 'checkpoint' without constructing some sort of foot protection.. I predicted a foot injury and later in episode he needs an med-evac due to a foot infection.

However Costa Rica island episode: the lovely young lady from New Hampshire was pure gold! Excluding her initial finger injury accident with her machete she was great.
With determination she got the bow fire going, kept a postive attitude, fabricated a lobster trap from sticks and caught two spiny lobsters. The girls showed moxy, I vote her the most qualified survival expert on show so far. Unfortunately the so called survival expert putz she was partnered with was total suckass. Like DZ mentioned the guy chooses swim googles and then it turns out he's scared of the water. That plus he bailed out on his partner like a coward...
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:09 am

So this show got me thinking.

If you could only have ONE thing, and you were naked and afraid, (well maybe not afraid), what would you take?

AND

How would you spend your first 24 hours?

Lets assume you are on the island episode.

I would personally take a BK9 and spend my first 24 hours making sandals and a nice very wide brim hat, to keep my feet safe and keep the sun off me, and then get a fire going and use some embers to hollow out a decent trough for water storage in a log or something.

Overall I agree though, the idea of the show is very silly, and a lot of people make a lot of very strange choices that seem to lack common sense.

Edit: Top question; how do the guys remain shaven, and the girls legs remain shaven, over 21 days, with no razors....?

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:59 am

I think my one personal item would be this:

But then again, if I ever find myself naked and afraid in a survival situation I have failed as a prepper on a grand scale. I will not be watching this show.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:00 am

I watched a couple episodes with my wife yesterday (not much else on). She brought up the point that maybe the producers of the show were looking to bond the two as a team with the naked aspect of it. Without clothes there's that social awkwardness and there's literally no barriers between you. Personally I thought it was a bit goofy, but whatever.

At least with clothes on you're guaranteed some protection from bugs and sunburn, some warmth, protection for your feet, and if clothed you could scrape lint from your pants and you could possibly make a bowdrill from your shoelaces and use both of those to start fire. Without clothes you have none of that. All of that goes right out the window. Seems like they could have given them at least 2 or 3 items for 21 days. Just one isn't enough.

You need at least a knife and some kind of container to boil water. Even if it's a discarded food or soda can at least that's something. I guess I'd take the knife, but lack of a container to boil water would suck. I could always use my glasses to start a fire.

The show should have taken more time to discuss some of the techniques used to build shelters, how to make sandals, how to gut and cook game and make friction fire. Otherwise it's just another social drama and what's the point?

-
As for hunting and food gathering it's tougher than it looks. Also one plan to produce food doesn't always pan out and you have to be prepared to look for alternate sources of food.

Story time :

I've always been more of a hunter and shooter. Not that much into fishing and I sure as fuck don't know what I'm looking for in regards to edible plants. Having said that though this one time my buddies and I went hunting and except for the beer, some ears of corn and a few cans of beans we swore that we weren't going to eat anything except what we got off the land.

To make a long story short if it hadn't been for what little food we did bring and some squirrels and mainly the bass and catfish we caught we would have all been a bunch of REALLY hungry guys. Didn't see a single hog that trip, it just didn't pan out. The only thing we did shoot of any size that trip was a coyote on the last day that we popped for that landowner (he had some cattle, so that was the arrangement for hunting on his land...shoot any coyote we saw on sight).

Kind of an eye opener as to what it would take to survive. It's easier to fish and get a meal then it is to hunt and find a meal. Shot a few squirrels that we added to the beans, but there weren't enough of them to feed 5 people. That guy with the goggles was onto something, but I think he chose the wrong item. Should have brought a rod and reel set up with fishing line and a few hooks if he was going to try to get food out of the ocean.

This is just some dumbass story about me and a few friends trying this kind of thing out and trying to live off the land. Wasn't anything resembling being stuck for 21 days somewhere.

We caught a whole bunch of catfish and bass and cooked them up with beans and corn flavored with some butter and seasoning. Pretty good meal, but it was the fishing that pulled us through (otherwise we would have all been 'cheating' and we would have ended up at the grocery store).

We were all pretty proud of the fact that we didn't puss out and go buy stuff at the grocery store.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm

This was on a mini-marathon last night. Saw parts of Africa, Borneo, Maldives and Costa Rica. I liked that most of the women had a good head on their shoulders. I thought the Maldives couple made good use of the flotsam that washed ashore.

I'm astonished that most of the people didn't try to fashion sandals or loincloths.

I wonder if I can see the full Monty on the DVD?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Regulator

Post by Regulator » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 pm

So if Discovery called you and wanted you to be on the show... anyone think it'd be a good idea? Reasons?

Omega Dog

Post by Omega Dog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 am

Caught the mini-marathon this past weekend. Like others, I was amazed how these so called "Survival Experts" seemed mostly clueless on the most basis task. Your walking barefoot in the Desert/forest/jungle, make some basic foot coverings. Next, Shelter, Water, and food should be their priorities.
What I liked about the show, you really get to see if even a so-called Expert, is stripped of all resources, can they survive in a hostile environment. Many of us believe we have great survival skills, with out fully loaded BOB's, EDC kits, and performance clothing. But what if you had to BO, with only the clothes on your back, and a decent knife?
Something to think about...

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:21 am

Omega Dog wrote:Caught the mini-marathon this past weekend. Like others, I was amazed how these so called "Survival Experts" seemed mostly clueless on the most basis task. Your walking barefoot in the Desert/forest/jungle, make some basic foot coverings. Next, Shelter, Water, and food should be their priorities.
What I liked about the show, you really get to see if even a so-called Expert, is stripped of all resources, can they survive in a hostile environment. Many of us believe we have great survival skills, with out fully loaded BOB's, EDC kits, and performance clothing. But what if you had to BO, with only the clothes on your back, and a decent knife?
This is something I'd want to watch. While the chance of maybe learning something useful while watching always exists, in some cases more than others, the entire idea of having people from the "first world" suddenly tromping about the wild buck naked seems overly ridiculous to me. Try to imagine a scenario that would have you suddenly in a survival situation naked. I can't think of a single one that doesn't also include some pretty serious injuries- like, all my clothing burned off of me. Somehow, I just can't see that happening where I'm somehow spared the third degree burns.
Suddenly being thrust into a life or death situation, while unlikely, is POSSIBLE, like surviving a plane crash or such, but no matter how rough the landing, you wouldn't end up naked- at worst, your clothes might end up badly torn, but they'd still be somewhat serviceable. While indigenous tribes do and have lived naked in the jungle for countless generations, they have the benefit of having been raised to do so by those who have already learned the skills, they have a tribe/clan/family as a support system, and are working with more than just one tool. While my own experience with ind. tribes is limited to things like National Geographic, I doubt that NG is staging their documentaries to give the impression that natives are managing to survive with only a handful of implements. Even the least encumbered natives I've seen on them carry firemaking tools of some sort, usually a gourd as a canteen, and either a handwoven basket of food items, or hunting implements, or both. They are what no reality TV character will ever be- in tune with their environment, and trained in how to co-exist with it, rather than some self-proclaimed expert who feels they must bend Nature to their will.

And, I'm still waiting for the day a TV show actually shows some fool trying to get water from the wrong type of vine, and drinking a mouthful or two of poisonous sap. Now, THERE would be a good lesson to learn!
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Omega Dog wrote:Caught the mini-marathon this past weekend. Like others, I was amazed how these so called "Survival Experts" seemed mostly clueless on the most basis task. Your walking barefoot in the Desert/forest/jungle, make some basic foot coverings. Next, Shelter, Water, and food should be their priorities.
So you're thinking that in order of importance it would go [with one being the highest and four the lowest]...
  • 1) Foot covering/sandals/shoes simply because you have to walk in order to get the other 3.
    2) Water
    3) Shelter
    4) Food
Just feel that water would be of more importance than shelter. Of course this changes if the AO you're in is extremely hot (desert) or extremely cold (Alaska, Canada, Himalayas or Siberia).

Or were they just in random order? Just curious if this is the case and if so the rationalization behind it.
Yeah, I agree. Pretty much the only reason I'm watching the show.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

GhostlyKarliion

Post by GhostlyKarliion » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:28 pm

I have watched a few episodes of this show. I really like the psychological bent of the show, that they explore the inherent weakness of the western constitution, you have to ignore the blatant ratings gimmicks.

But I can tell you this, if I were selected to go on the show, I would go in a heartbeat. If for no other reason than to test my own skills!
jamoni wrote:Gear is gear, but knowledge is priceless.
PlatonicPimp wrote:To the contrary, people are neither good nor evil. What people are is STUPID.

GhostlyKarliion

Post by GhostlyKarliion » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:40 pm

I'll be submitting my application soon, if anyone else is interested:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/casti ... h-form.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jamoni wrote:Gear is gear, but knowledge is priceless.
PlatonicPimp wrote:To the contrary, people are neither good nor evil. What people are is STUPID.

Mannlicher

Post by Mannlicher » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:08 pm

the show gives 'stupid waste of time' a whole new meaning.

Sins

Post by Sins » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 pm

I watched about 30 seconds of the show.
I turned it off when I realized the title wasn't "where in the fuck is Woodstock, New York and who stole my bong?"

Return to “Zombie Training Films”