Doomsday Preppers

Zombie and/or other Post-Apocalyptic related movies for us to study and know what not to do.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

liquid_lexicon
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (both)

Doomsday Preppers

Post by liquid_lexicon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:18 am

I just saw an commercial for a show called Doomsday Preppers. The new season starts on Nov. 13 but apparently there has been a season or two already. I'm surprised not to see any mention of it here but maybe there's something further down the forum that I missed. Anyway, it looks like something we'd find interesting. I've set the DVR to record some and will give it a try. Anyone see any of these before?

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... -preppers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Re: Doomsday Preppers

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:02 am

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... y+Preppers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... s#p1993653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... y+Preppers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... s#p1966520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... s#p1893239" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:12 am

Yes we have. Be prepared for elevated blood pressure from the stupidity. But its like a train wreck, I cant help but look.

ctbarb
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Day of the Dead

Post by ctbarb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:54 am

I actually got one or two ideas from that show. But it was mainly just good for a laugh!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 pm

I have been interviewed twice for the show. I was not silly enough nor do I believe in polar shifts or real-live zombies. I was like this:
"How much food do you stockpile?"
"Stockpile? I have a pantry and freezer that, depending on the time of the month, can feed me and my family for 2-4 weeks."
"Do you have an escape plan?"
"Escape plan? If we need to stay somewhere else due to an evacuation or something we can stay at a few freinds or family's house for a few days. I can afford a motel room for a night or 2 also."
"What do you think is the most likely disaster you think will happen in your lifetime?"
"House fire, job loss. Maybe a small local flood or earthquake."

The second producer I met and was interviewed by later came to the ZS table we had set up (it was at a prep fair this summer) and told me she did not have a 72 hour kit and I showed her how to make one up real easy and why it was not "nuts". The Red Cross display recommended my table for kit details.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:51 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I have been interviewed twice for the show. I was not silly enough nor do I believe in polar shifts or real-live zombies. I was like this:
"Stockpile? I have a pantry and freezer that, depending on the time of the month, can feed me and my family for 2-4 weeks."
"Escape plan? If we need to stay somewhere else due to an evacuation or something we can stay at a few freinds or family's house for a few days. I can afford a motel room for a night or 2 also."
"What do you think is the most likely disaster you think will happen in your lifetime?"

The second producer I met and was interviewed by later came to the ZS table we had set up (it was at a prep fair this summer) and told me she did not have a 72 hour kit and I showed her how to make one up real easy and why it was not "nuts". The Red Cross display recommended my table for kit details.
Does she live in the NYC area? If so she might be having some second thoughts these days...
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 pm

I saw an episode or two, seemed everyone featured on it had an extra $150k to spend on a BOL. Prep show for the rich? Maybe I missed the Joe the plumber episodes.
I didn't watch Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous either.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Blacksmith wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:I have been interviewed twice for the show. I was not silly enough nor do I believe in polar shifts or real-live zombies. I was like this:

Does she live in the NYC area? If so she might be having some second thoughts these days...
Naw... lives in Portland, OR and contracted by .... whatever production company puts this show out. I asked her.
President ZSC011

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 pm

After I saw one of the "prepers" shoot his thumb of with a 380 snubby on a family outing... I stopped watching.
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

vawilderness wrote:After I saw one of the "prepers" shoot his thumb of with a 380 snubby on a family outing... I stopped watching.
That one had me rolling on the floor - almost as good as the "mobile prepper" trucker couple who had a limited budget but were blowing it on what had to be the world's most expensive camo nets and large buckets of freeze dried celery as their food store. Celery , famed for requiring more energy to eat and digest than it provides in calories, as a fecking survival food store.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 pm

vawilderness wrote:After I saw one of the "prepers" shoot his thumb of with a 380 snubby on a family outing... I stopped watching.
Valuable lesson in there somewheres....
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Griffworks
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero Dead Movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Griffworks » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 am

MacWa77ace wrote:I saw an episode or two, seemed everyone featured on it had an extra $150k to spend on a BOL. Prep show for the rich? Maybe I missed the Joe the plumber episodes.
I didn't watch Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous either.
They've had a couple of "not rich" families they've interviewed. One of them was part of a MAG somewhere in Texas, I believe it was. Over time, they built a compound made up of shipping containers. They didn't have tons o' money, but budgeted most of their income on what they had built up.

One of the dumbest reasons given by any of the Preppers, IMNSHO, was the guy in NYC who was prepping for the super volcano in the MidWest. He acted like the cloud of ash would be on the city in just a couple of hours.

Anyhow, I find it interesting and I've found one or two good bits of information, so will keep watching. It amuses me.
"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 am

Ryder358 wrote:Yes we have. Be prepared for elevated blood pressure from the stupidity. But its like a train wreck, I cant help but look.
I don't understand why most of the human population has such a morbid curiousity with accidents, if I have no reason to be there (train wreck or such) I walk along and don't give it a second thought. More people should practice this and get out of first responders way.
As for the TV show, it is amusing on occasion at best.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

liquid_lexicon
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead (both)

Post by liquid_lexicon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Sorry, I should have searched a little better to see this topic has been covered in detail. I agree tho, that it looks a like the majority of these people have a shit ton of money to spend on this stuff. I have a hard time buying some extra canned goods when they go on sale to add to the emergency pantry. While I'm probably prepared more than a good deal of people I don't have supplies to last months or anything. Certainly not years. At best tho, we're good for most any natural disaster scenario where we might be without services for a few days or a week.
I've just recorded a few eps so I'll give it a watch and see how much I can take. Thanks for the input everyone.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Which episode was that? I'd like to see it (I have only seen about half ofthem I suppose).
President ZSC011

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:52 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
Which episode was that? I'd like to see it (I have only seen about half ofthem I suppose).
They guy who invented the “crovel” shot his thumb off with a 10/22. Still pretty baffled on how that happened. Was there another thumb shooting?

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 pm

The Crovel inventor was on Doomsday Preppers too? Man, I've missed quite a few episodes. :lol:
President ZSC011

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:06 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
They guy who invented the “crovel” shot his thumb off with a 10/22. Still pretty baffled on how that happened. Was there another thumb shooting?
It was funny....he was all dressed up as this mall ninja character complete with tactical vest, next thing his pops himself in the thumb and passes out on the ground while the show medics were helping him. He ened up losing a good chink of the thumb in the process.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:08 pm

JustAnotherSnakeCult wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:
Yeah, it was a .22. He called it a "misfire", but then later admitted that he put his thumb in front of the barrel. :roll:
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

ccracing176

Post by ccracing176 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:21 pm

His exact words were, and I quote "it was a type of misfire where your hand falls infront of the barrel"

JustAnotherSnakeCult

Post by JustAnotherSnakeCult » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:51 pm

ccracing176 wrote:His exact words were, and I quote "it was a type of misfire where your hand falls infront of the barrel"
Is that a misfire of the brain?

Doctor Zed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)
28 Days Later (not strictly speaking a zombie movie)
The Walking Dead (TV)

Post by Doctor Zed » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Griffworks wrote:
One of the dumbest reasons given by any of the Preppers, IMNSHO, was the guy in NYC who was prepping for the super volcano in the MidWest. He acted like the cloud of ash would be on the city in just a couple of hours.
I get the impression that the formula of the show is to portray the preppers as being obsessed with some kind of doomsday event - adds the 'crazy factor' that they reckon is going to attract curious viewers. Hence they are probably told to pick from a list of supplied 'TEOTWAWKI' events and make like that is the aim of their prepping (a few did genuinely come across as fixated on a specific even though).

In reality, most people prepare in order to be as self-reliant as possible in order to be ready for a wide spectrum of contingencies, most of them considerably below doomsday level. But a show that showed people taking commonsense steps to deal with common emergencies and happenings wouldn't have the same appeal as one that uses the participants as entertainment and features massive bunkers or extreme situations.

I'd guess the NYC guy was more focused on another 9/11 event that might spread toxic dust over the city (proven to be a real concern) but the producers wanted him to be saying that he was prepping for more of a massive extinction type event.

IMO this show does major damage to public perception of prepping - the producers and editors are clearly focusing on getting the featured preppers to come across as 'over the top' as possible.
--
Who's laughing now, huh? Who's laughing now?

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm

For those who don't watch the show, enjoy!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Break the rules pay the price.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Return to “Zombie Training Films”