Humanity Forgotten

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Humanity Forgotten

Post by AS556 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:41 am

Hey guys I've wasn't able to sleep last night so I started to write a short story for you all, hope you enjoy.I haven't written since high school (5 years) and I've never written for fun before so cut me some slack :) Constructive criticism is always appreciated.Hope you like it.

He awoke with a start.The events from the night prior still haunted his memory, and he could not stop the tears from welling in his eyes as he thought about what he had done.It had to be done, he couldn't let her die...no, not like that.Eaten alive?The horrors he had witnessed in the past 24 hours are things he could never have invisioned in his worst nightmares.He walked to her room slowly, the sound of his own footsteps surreal.His own grandmother, the woman who had raised and nurtured him from childhood, dead at his own hands.He could see where the blood had trickled down her arm at the injection site.It was better this way.

He heard the fast patter of running bare feet on concrete outside her bedroom window, and saw a shadow flash behind the curtains.He quietly lay prone and listened with all his might, praying the sound of breaking glass would not follow.He tried to barricade all the windows yesterday but there simply wasn't enough plywood in the garage to do so.Screaming.From where?It's so loud.It sounds like the neighbors house but there's no way to tell, does it even matter anymore?More death.More suffering.The world turns.

Hours passed, he lay there shivering yet pouring sweat all the same.He was all too familiar with the feeling.He had given his grandmother his final dose of the drug that had ravaged his body for the better part of 6 years, heroin.It was more than enough to be fatal for an elderly woman.When he had approached her with this idea the sadness in her eyes and face was immeasurable, but she quietly agreed with a resolute nod.She knew what was out there.My grandfather still lay in front of our house, the upper right portion of his skull missing.She had seen the carnage.He couldn't help but wonder as he looked at her tired eyes that night if she had known how long he had been doing drugs, but he was too ashamed to ask.Call it murder, call it assisted suicide, she agreed and he obliged.Neither could bear the thought of her being ripped apart by these things.It was over.

The withdrawls are bad enough without all this bullshit going on, he thought.Oh well.Won't be anymore of that stuff coming, cold turkey it is.About time anyway.He had been an addict for what seemed like forever, and looking himself in the mirror he looked much older than the 28 years he had spent on the earth.Luckily he has been clean for several months and recently relapsed, so he prayed the withdrawls would be over within a few days.He drifted into a dreamless sleep.

CRASH.

He leapt to his feet.Someone is inside.He grabbed his pistol from his holster and slowly crept to the living room where what he saw nearly made him vomit.A man had been trying to break in to the house through the plywood covering the window when one of those...things..had pulled him down to ground.He watched briefly through a crack in the wood as the creature tore into the mans neck, grotesquely pulling his esophagus out into plain view.The man gurgled softly, and his left foot twitched uncontrollably.Deep, crimson blood slowly pooled under the body while the monster rose to its feet and sprinted off to find it's next meal.Damn they're fast.

He slowly crawled back to his bedroom, it was time to leave this place.But first he had to take a shit.He crept to the bathroom and sat on the toilet, contemplating where he could even go.This was all happening so fast.He finished up and poured a bucket of water from the tub into the toilet to make it flush.Thank God he'd saw that on T.V. once.Looking in the mirror he was surpised at how run down he looked.A once handsome face had been sunken in by years of hard living.Jonathan Marcelo, 28 years old, looking like Mickey Rourke.Ain't that a bitch.

Jon walked to his grandparents room one final time, not only to say goodbye to his grandmother but to grab his grandfathers firearms from the cabinet.A Mini 14 with 2 magazines, a 10/22 and a rusty old S&W Model 10.Combined with Jon's Glock there was actually a decent little arsenal.Ammunition was the real problem, he only had 100 rounds for the Mini, 50 for each pistol and a couple hundred .22 LR.Several hundred rounds did little to comfort him about the 19,000 dead cannibals waiting outside his door.He slung the 10/22 on his back, holstered the 9mm and shoved the revolver in the small of his back tucked in his jeans.Jon took one final look at the woman who raised him, grabbed the rifle, and shut the door.He prepared a backpack with some basic supplies, it really wasn't much.He'd raided his grandfathers camping supplies and gotten a sleeping bag, some water purification tablets, and a few bags of freeze dried food.He had also found a steel water bottle and a fishing rod and tackle.Jon opened the tackle box and found a small knife which he shoved in the left front pocket of his jeans.Time to go.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: Humanity Forgotten

Post by AS556 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am

He waited til dusk, utilizing the cover of darkness to mask his movement.He didn't know exactly what these things were, but if they were anything like humans still they couldn't see for shit in the dark.He set out at a brisk pace, trying to escape the mobile home park unseen.He passed by his grandfather, laying in the street, blood coagulating beneath him.There were figures moving behind the other trailers, howls penetrating the darkness as if made by animals.The home across from his grandmother's, once filled with a young couple and their two daughters, now lay silent.Blood was smeared on the inside of the windows.He could only imagine the terror that had taken place inside for those young girls.So many dead, so many dead..

He had parked his Jeep Grand Cherokee in his usual spot, on the street outside the trailer park.His grandparents' cars occupied the two parking spots allotted for their home, so he parked on the street most days.He was about to make a dash for his vehicle when he saw a pair of feet shuffling behind it.Why was it moving so slow?The others were fast.This one seemed to be in a more advanced state of decomposition, too.Could he have died before the outbreak and been reanimated?Who knows.Who cares?Jon grabbed a rock the size of a soccer ball and crept toward the monster.He attempted to sneak up behind it, but it seemed to sense him and immediately turned to attack.Jon raised the rock above his head and brought it down onto the things skull with a sickening thud, the blow knocking it to the ground.It writhed and howled a howl so savage it made his hair stand on end.He got on his knees next to it and bashed it three more times, the thick blackish blood oozing out of it's ears.He stood and looked at it's face.Through the blood and the distortion, he could see it was the father of the two girls across the street.He had always been nice to Jon.Another future shattered.

Jon opened the door to his Jeep as quietly as possible and slid inside.The dome light popped on and he frantically shut it off, then waited.Several minutes passed.It didn't appear he had been seen.He turned the key in the ignition and the V6 engine roared to life.He flipped on his headlights and was surprised to see two of the creatures 100 meters ahead of him, they turned and sprinted for his car but he hit the gas and was on the road before they could close the distance.He drove.And drove.Where to go?The lake his grandfather had taken him fishing at as a child, it would have to do for now.The woods in rural SW Washington State would be a great place to get away from people, apocalypse or not.Now they seemed all the more inviting.Jon turned and began heading north on I5.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am

A cracking good start!

AS556

Post by AS556 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:50 pm

He drove for many miles, observing the horrors on the freeway as he went.Blood, smoke, fire, bodies...it looked like a war zone, but this was much worse.His grandfather had served in the Pacific during WWII, and the stories he had told Jon as a boy echoed the destruction he was seeing now.Combat is the most chaotic activity organized society can take part in, but this...this was different.How far had it spread?He reflected on the friends and family he would never see again, then slowly the realization came that this could be affecting the whole country, even the world.This could be our extinction event.Humanity was so small in the grand scheme of things, really.We will all be gone, and the earth will not care.Life goes on.

Jon drove through the night and began nearing his destination at dawn just as the sun was coming over the horizon.He would try and move only at night if possible.Now to find a place to hunker down for the day.He pulled out his pack of Marlboros and his lighter and lit a cigarette, at least he still had those.13 left.Old habits die hard.His jeep only had 1/4 of a tank left, he had set out from his grandparents with 3/4, and with only a fraction of that left his options were frighteningly limited.He set out to gather some kindling, first things first get a fire going.He hadn't eaten in a few days and his stomach felt as though it was devouring itself.After getting a small cooking fire going he filled his water bottle with lake water, dropped a few iodine tablets in, and set it in the fire to boil.As he sat watching the water begin to percolate,Jon thought he'd seen movement in the treeline on the other side of the lake.It didn't look like an animal.

The water was at a rolling boil now, he grabbed it with his T-shirt to avoid burning himself and poured the water into the bag of freeze dried food, zipped it and allowed it to cook.Mountain House or some shit...it was surprisingly pretty tasty.Plus it packed almost half a days calories into one meal, which was good because this would be Jon's only meal for the day.He'd have to ration all his supplies, at least long enough to ride out the initial outbreak for a few weeks.He quietly thanked God that he wasn't in the city for this.Jon had moved in with his grandparents after a rough break up he had with his ex-fiance in Baltimore about 2 years ago, there surely would be tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of these things in the city by now.He wondered how anybody could survive it.

Leaving the .22 and old Smith in his car,he laid out his sleeping bag with the Mini next to it in the dirt.His Glock was in his holster on his hip, he wouldn't be taking that off again anytime soon.Jon laid down and although the sun was rising his weary eyes eagerly shut and he drifted off to sleep.

Twigs cracking.Moans in the distance.They drew near.

Jon could see them in the distance, a small group of the creatures that were once men.There were maybe 5 of them.He grabbed his rifle and skirted the treeline, crouched, watching them intently.Firing could draw more of them, but they were getting too close to the campsite for comfort, only about 50 meters away now.Had they smelled or seen his fire?He made the decision to take them out.He'd been in the scouts as a boy, and had grown up shooting and hunting in Eastern Oregon, it should be a routine shot.20 rounds in the magazine, it's go time.He braced his rifle against a tree and took aim at the first, center mass.Jon took a deep breath, exhaled, and squeezed the trigger slowly.The rifle's report was deafening.The 55 grain projectile whistled through the air and closed the distance instantaneously, causing a dark mist to appear momentarily behind the thing's torso.Nothing happened.The group immediately began it's savage war cry and began sprinting towards him.It still amazed him at the speed these things possessed, much more than any normal human.He realized he was wasting precious time contemplating this, and immediately took aim.The thing he killed by his jeep had gone down permanently when he crushed its skull, you must need to destoy the brain stem to put them out of commission.Jon fired twice in quick succession.His first shot missed wide left, but the second .223 caliber bullet entered just below the adams apple and it crumpled instantly under its own weight, he must have hit the spinal cord.Movies and games like Call of Duty had made head shots seem easy, but in reality it was damn near impossible.He fired 6 more shots, dropping 2 more of these...abominations.The two remaining were only feet away now, and Jon let loose with a short burst of fire that peppered the female's face, evacuating her crainium of it's mushy brain.He took aim at the last and squeezed the trigger again.FUCK.Nothing.The rifle had failed to feed the next round in the mag.He attempted to use the stock to buttstroke it in the face but the momentum of it toppled him over and they both tumbled to the dirt.Jon landed with a rock square in his spine and knocked the wind out of himself, he gasped and fought for air but there was none.The man on top of him was strong, well over 6 foot tall and at least 250 lbs.Jon, after years of drug abuse, was a measley 145 pounds, and he was losing the battle quickly.Time seemed to slow to a crawl and he had what seemed like an eternity to stare into the monster's gaping maw, snapping open and shut violently as if it were an animal.The humanity in it's eyes was gone.Mucous and blood dripped from its teeth, pattering on Jon's face like an annoying leaky faucet drips in the bathroom when you are so desperately trying to sleep.All this must have happened in a matter of seconds, but the adrenaline seemed to slow it to minutes.He grabbed his G19 from his holster and pressed the muzzle under the snapping chin of his opponent and pulled the trigger.Reddish black mist permeated the air and the back of it's skull flew several meters in the air, along with clumped hair and brain fragments.Jon pushed it off him to his right and rolled to his left, desperate for air.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 pm

majorhavoc wrote:A cracking good start!
Thanks!I've read your work in the fiction section too and it's some of my favorite so I appreciate the kind words.

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Good start! Keep it up!

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Yay, new moar!

Griffworks
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero Dead Movies, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Griffworks » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Awesome story, thus far.

Nit pick on my part, but you're not hitting the space bar after your punctiln, which puts the first letter of the next sentence right on top of last. There would be at least one space. Otherwise, I got no complaints and am really enjoying the story & style.

MOARPLZ! :clownshoes:
"Zombies. Man, they freak me out."

AS556

Post by AS556 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks for the feedback 8-) I'll edit it.I haven't written in years so I guess I'm a bit rusty on some points.Glad you guys are enjoying it, I'm enjoying writing it a lot.I should have the next chapter up tomorrow.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 pm

AK47Heaven wrote: ...edit it.I haven't...points.Glad...it a lot.I should...
See? You keep doing it! Quit it!

JOKE! Please continue, in whatever writting style you like! My story has about 17 different styles, no biggie :lol:

deathstalkertwo

Post by deathstalkertwo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Hot damn, another good, new story for us to read. I like new, I like good, and I like MOAR.
Thank you for your time and effort to write this.

Return to “Fiction”