High Ground: House of Adair - discussion thread

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Re: High Ground: House of Adair

Post by dogbane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:21 pm

High Ground now has a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/HighGroundHouseOfAdair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[/shamelessselfpromotion]
Mostly not here anymore.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:50 pm

dogbane wrote:We should note that Chloe's initial hostility to James was due to his failure to responsibly restrict Nate's actions. Not that Chloe has held Nate back much, but he never came back injured before.

Her only real shortcoming ATM is that she is a teenage girl with trust issues. She's fit (a swimmer), isn't afraid of guns, was willing and able to lock her zombified parents in the cellar, is willing to assert her point of view, and is concerned for Nate's well-being. And she likes babies. But she is skeptical of James Adair.
I look at locking her parents in a room as a negative. To me, it says she doesn't have the stomach to do what is necessary.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Postby Towanda » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am
I don't blame Chloe for being skeptical of James. He's too slick by half and I keep wondering just what kind of con game or betrayal he has up his sleeve.
I don't think there is a con game on his part as much as Chloe will get a crush and Cindy may dash it.Yeah I think I see that coming.James and Cindy.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

Towanda

Re: Re: High Ground: House of Adair

Post by Towanda » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Bearcat wrote: I look at locking her parents in a room as a negative. To me, it says she doesn't have the stomach to do what is necessary.
I'm not sure many 15-year-olds of either gender would be able to shoot their parents under those circumstances.

Heck, I'm not confident many adults would be able to shoot their loved ones under those circumstances.

Oh, and James and Cindy getting busy is too obvious. I'd be disappointed if the story went that way.

Sent via messenger owl.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Yup. James and Cindy.
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by dogbane on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly not here anymore.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 am

Yet another good thing about being in Afghanistan...first!

Great story, DB. I thought you might have jumped the shark introducing the ZS characters, but, as usual, I was wrong.

Can't wait to see where this is going.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:38 am

Wow, the tension is mounting even though I just know it is Mr. McReady and the ZS team. But why travel at night? Does he just want to get home that badly? Is a large swarm following them so they need the refuge of high ground? Thanks for the story time!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am

KYZHunters wrote:Yet another good thing about being in Afghanistan...first!

Great story, DB. I thought you might have jumped the shark introducing the ZS characters, but, as usual, I was wrong.

Can't wait to see where this is going.
I was having fun with those chapters, thinking I might rewrite them and knowing that there was some "over-the-topness" to them, but now I have to deal with the fact that they are part of the story. :lol: And there is a third vehicle. When we left Rob, there was just him in the Ford and the two who joined him driving the Soob. Also, we don't know what Rob has had to deal with while he was gone, or what his mood would be on his return.
FlashDaddy wrote:Wow, the tension is mounting even though I just know it is Mr. McReady and the ZS team. But why travel at night? Does he just want to get home that badly? Is a large swarm following them so they need the refuge of high ground? Thanks for the story time!
There has to be a good reason to travel at night through the ZPAW? :shock: :oops: :lol:
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Just a heads-up that the next part will take some time to write and get right, so it will be a few days before the next installment. In the meantime, feel free to backread and nitpick, or to check out some of the other great stories on this forum.
Mostly not here anymore.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 pm

I hate flying but I had to fly to Florida recently. I took High Ground with me, reading it slowly and enjoying the writing. These are some of my favorite story quotes, imagine a lot more space between them:

You would hear no horns or sirens, no susurration of cars on the highways sounding like water flowing over rocks. 

Can’t get there from here, he thought, and the old tune began to play in his mind: When the world is a monster that swallows you whole/Kick the clay that holds the teeth in...
I've been there, I know the way (Can't get there from here). I've been there, I know the way (Can't get there from here). His footsteps fell in the leaf litter in time with the song.

Don’t break what you have, he thought. Build on it.

We gotta get to a higher place and I hope we all arrive together. We gotta get to a higher place if we’re gonna survive the we-eather.

(Jimmy, it takes a stronger man to build something than to break something.)

He took a pencil from his bag and scribbled all over the key and scraped the lead with the key edge until the key was coated with pencil dust. He slid the key into the lock with a rapid series of smooth ticks. He turned gently clockwise.

Caleb and Janey argued half-heartedly over the rules of checkers, played with plastic bottle caps on a board drawn with sharpie on some cardboard.

[“Who is it, mama?” “Is it Daddy?”] she heard through the cotton of panic in her ears.

All day I face the barren waste without a taste of water, cool water…

Down in the horse corral standing alone/Was an old caballo, a strawberry roan

Cindy was silent for a while, her face red-orange, flames in her eyes

Rob stood in the parking lot. His bat was in his hand. The ghouls rattled the cage—his cage. They were too numerous to get a good head count. No way could he open the gate now. His heart was drumming his ribcage. He should have left before dawn.

The path led into a wooded hollow and forked, and he ran unhesitatingly to the left and up a hill through the trees to a power line right of way overgrown with sumac and dogbane.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Shellyann36

Post by Shellyann36 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:25 am

Good post!
Wife to Keith, Mom to Michael (22) David (21) & Anthony (18) Lil Keith (2), Adam & Elijah (8 months)

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:15 pm

Deleted by author.
Last edited by dogbane on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly not here anymore.

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:28 am

Yeaaaaaaaa Daddies comming home. :clap:

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:41 am

And Daddy's got a shiny new badge and an army to flash at the rich hippie who moved his wife into the Big House.

I love this story :clap:
Boldly going nowhere

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:23 am

Zimmy wrote:And Daddy's got a shiny new badge and an army to flash at the rich hippie who moved his wife into the Big House.

I love this story :clap:
:lol:

I think your comment sets in stone the person I want to play James Adair in the movie.

Still looking for a younger Holly Hunter type for Cindy and a clean-cut Chris Evans (Captain America) type for Rob.
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Is there a symbolic meaning to the key motif that runs through this story? And what does "high ground" mean to you?
Mostly not here anymore.

DAVE KI

Post by DAVE KI » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Got a feeling James and Rob are gonna less than get along.

Diesel2
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them with the slow runners 8-)

Post by Diesel2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:56 pm

DAVE KI wrote:Got a feeling James and Rob are gonna less than get along.

Well let's hope they don't get all buddy-buddy on us. I figure this'll be a tale of morals and tactics...and the high ground will be more than geographic. I read this awesome installment with Big Hard Sun playing in the back ground. This led to a 'mind movie', yep I'm enjoying this story.

Oh...yeah. Moar, eh.
Nth90 wrote: "If you look at much of the data posted here things could get bumpy but not eat the household cat bumpy."

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:20 am

I got nuthin' on the keys except the Mrs seems to hold all of them regularly. Maybe she is the key to repopulating the race. I bet not. Lol

High Ground has four immediate meanings to me.

A superior defensive position against an attacker (they shot the zombies that didn't fall down the hill by themselves)

A morally or rationally superior stand in an argument. (I'm alive and you're a stupid bad zombie so neener-neener-boo-boo)

A place of higher altitude for greater visibility of surroundings. (stay away from all the zombies on Hall st.)

A place to go to avoid a flood (of zombies).
Boldly going nowhere

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 am

Deleted by author.
Last edited by dogbane on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly not here anymore.

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 am

If anyone sees any real head-scratchers, let me know. I'll be editing this when it's finished and I want to smooth out inconsistencies and contradictions.

I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far and not getting frustrated by the pace. It's hard to believe I've been writing for two months and have only covered a few days of "real time" action (of course, there are narrative flashbacks, etc.).
Mostly not here anymore.

GotMak

Post by GotMak » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Lovin' the "Wire" reference!
"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of Democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell

dogbane

Post by dogbane » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Some of the songs mentioned in the story have been Strawberry Roan, Cool Water, Can't Get There From Here, A Higher Place, and Way Down in the Hole.
Mostly not here anymore.

Return to “Fiction”