Mutants, Zombies & The Apocalypse

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FIDO

Re: Mutants, Zombies & The Apocalypse

Post by FIDO » Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 am

[This has been vamped up and redone for all of you guys]

Chapter Eighteen

Getting a couple thousand zombies to follow is really easy, all you really need to do is know where to find them and when you know someone who can hack into satellites and give you horde movement updates via satellite phone, its about as easy as fishing in a barrel. Once the rest of the convoy raced ahead, I stayed back and got the attention of about twenty-six thousand zombies from what KJ was able to guess from the moving mass on the satellite picture following a LAV at ten miles an hour.

I had a stero wired up on the roof playing the longest song playlist in history the whole way there, took me fifteen days to drive the distance within ten miles of the prison, during that time Captain Simmeroff and his boys had effectively ambushed a large convoy of convicts before they even knew what hit them.

Once the order was given, thirty-five Marines began picking off the twenty-nine convicts milling around the parked convoy in the wee hours of the morning, in about five seconds it was all over, effectively wiping out all of the convicts in one swoop as they seized the convoy and beagn practicing the drill.

While I was playing Pied Piper with several thousand zombies, they had slipped into the role of the wandering convicts, searching for fuel, food and other sundry supplies, reporting on short and ham band radios at odd intervals back to the prison and the convicts back at the prison were none the wiser. While the rescue force played as the convicts, they also began pimping out each vehicle that used to be in the convict convoy and running drills.
Because the vehicles had been in such lousy mechanical condition, they were overhauled and made worthy of actually running, along with being turned into miniature fortresses. Each bus was installed with armor on the inside that would protect the vehicle crews from hostile fire, say anything smaller than .50 BMG, so the Marines and volunteers inside could fire from the safety of a bunker on wheels. Each bus would have eight men and a driver, plenty of ammunition and medical supplies, the smaller trucks would act as scouts and clear out an area large enough for the buses to manuver and create chaos, hence the reason why each smaller vehicle had a cartoon of hand grenades and tear gas canisters.

A fire base was erected three miles from the prison compound in a gully consisting of ten men with two 81mm mortars and the simple orders to open fire with every round they had, simply dropping every round they had on the convicts as fast as they could fire, hopefully enough to keep their heads down.

I arrived and took my happy followers in a clockwise rotation around the prison before racing off with some deadly cargo, say about five shipping containers loaded with zombies and another six empty ones hovering above my vehicle as our plan was getting ready to commence. We were half an hour before we kicked off our operation, I was sitting in the passenger seat of the Beast with Captain Simmeroff in the driver seat and Randy in the back, ready to pop up and use the mounted M2 Browning .50 heavy machine gun once we told him too as the “convict convoy” got ready to go.

“Worried sir?” I could feel the tension wafting off Captain Simmeroff like a cloud of steam as he fidgeted in his seat, triple checking the magazines for his silenced MP5, the non-lethal flashbang grenades he would use in areas where friendlies were around and then of course his collection of lethal goodies.

“Yes, I wonder if my wife and daughter are alive,” he reached into his pocket and pulled out a photograph that he handed to me, “after all of this I would die happy knowing they were alive, but now I wonder if they are better off dead.”

“Don’t worry sir,” I looked over at the shipping containers sitting next to the Beast and shuddered at the thought of the cargo inside half of them before looking over at the distance shape of the prison stretched out in the snow covered hills, “we’ll find them.”

“I hope so, because I have no idea what I’ll do knowing if they are dead,” he took a deep breath to calm himself as he looked at the picture, “I don’t know.”

Randy simply fingered the belts of ammunition for the .50 Browning as he sat hunkered in the gunner well, the hatch closed as he slowly went through the motions of grabbing another belt of ammunition because we didn’t have anyone to spare to act as his ammunition handler as he absentmindedly twisted his ring.

I learned a while ago he had gotten divorced about three weeks before the outbreak hit the US and was fighting for custody of his kids when the undead swarmed though his hometown and took the life of his children and is ex-wife, so he knew what it was like to lose those he had held dear, now we watch him for a case of break down, but so far he’d been a stronger person than we gave him credit for.

Hunter was crawling around on a bus, positioning the M249 SAW so he could swing the thing up and hose the convicts with enough fire to decimate them singlehandedly as he would be one of the first ones to dismounted off the vehicles once the barrage started to provide cover for the EOD tech to slap the entry charge onto the wall. It was a sheet of foam insulation 1 ¾” thick with strips of explosive shape charges tapped to the board so the only thing the EOD tech would have to do would be slapping some adhesive glue onto the board, slap in onto the wall, set the detonator and then blow the fucking thing, a lot easier than wiring up the explosives under hostile fire.

A bunch of Marines were dressed in convict outfits the members of the ill-fated convoy had been wearing to give them the split second advantage of surprise when they attacked, which would be with suppressed weaponry, hand grenades and hand-to-hand combat as they sorted what was going where and how they would get off the vehicles and such once everything started moving.

They fired up the vehicles one by one, knowing full well that nearly thirty thousand zombies were within six miles of where they were standing as they did a last minute vehicle inspection of everything, quickly rehearsed everything and got rolling towards the prison.

After the convict convoy left, pulling a fake trailer and each vehicle loaded with “baggage” that left our safe perimeter, making sure to play loud music and rev the engines like they were competing for NASCAR, mostly to lure every zombie in the area where to find lunch and to alert the convicts watching the convoy approach. The resason we decided to arrive so early in the morning was because the convicts didn’t like to camp out in the cold when they were less than five hours from the prison day or night and it would help that the sun was directly behind the convoy so it would be harder for the convicts high up the walls to recognize anyone if they had high-powered binocular or scopes.

While everyone was watching the convoy drive up to the prison, they never noticed Blink appear along the west wall, placing C4 and plastic explosive charges every so far, making sure the charges were tamped down properly and the detonators were hooked up before disappearing again. From where I sat in a grove of trees half a mile away watching with high-powered binoculars, nobody seemed to notice the malevolent grin on Blink’s face as he kissed the twenty-seven pound charge he slid into a culvert the size of his head before vanishing.

Captain Simmeroff started the Beast and eased the vehicle forward after the signal, the convoy making it inside the prison gates, was seen as I nodded at Blink who was sitting next to Randy with the great big yellow box in his lap, eyes shining in anticipation as he eagerly nodded his head.

“Let them have it Blink.” I said after double-checking to see that the entire convoy was behind another cell block, protected from any sort of firework show we were intending on giving the convicts.

He giggled and pushed the big red button and held it for several long seconds, lips moving as he watched through the front windshield.

Five. Four. Three. Two. One.

The stillness of the morning was shattered by the massive explosion that erupted in the early morning light, the base of the wall lifted upward in a cloud of flying derbies consisting of cement, dirt and steel, obliterating entire sections of the wall, about a hundred feet of it was blasted completely out of the ground as chunks began raining down over the prison and it wasn’t the only thing.

“Hear comes the rain! Get your heads down!” The voice over the radio came through loud and clear five seconds before the first mortar rounds exploded over the prison like a deathly shower of hail, even as the Beast was hauling ass towards the prison, all of the shipping containers hovering behind the vehicle as another loud explosion, this one being the controlled shape charge placed along the outside of the cell block containing all of the prisoners so our advance team could enter the building, say Hunter and a few other people who excel at killing things at close range.

The explosions were like a giant fucking bell going off because seventeen seconds after the first and second one went off, the satellite phone in my lap went bonkers, the text message KJ had sent that told us we were the focus of every single zombie within fifty miles.

Two mortar teams firing the 81mm mortars could let go with a round every three seconds, so while was firing the other one was loading up for another shot, each man dropping the stubby rounds down the tube and getting clear as it let out a loud boom and launched the round three and a half miles to the prison, about three men per mortar, each team in the back of a small truck so they could retain mobility as the crews took turns dropping four rounds apiece down the tubes, firing twenty-four rounds in a span of forty seconds before they ran out.

The convicts were unprepared for the mortar barrage to suddenly stop, meaning the gun crews were out and hauling ass back to the rally point as fast as possible as five shipping containers came flying into the prison compound where the west wall and most of the exercise yard used to be and spill open like rotten barrels, dumping out lots of zombies. The other shipping containers settled in a strange pattern in the middle of the prison, effectively blocking the view of the cell block containing the prisoners from the rest of the prison as the LAV roared by the scenes of chaos, Randy was up behind the .50 machine gun firing short bursts at anything that so much as moved as the zombies, freed from confinement, found themselves in a buffet line.
I made it to where the shape charge had blasted through the outer wall of the cell block and rushed in after I was given the go ahead and knocked down three more walls before I came into the main hallway of the cell block.

The stink, emotions and fear nearly knocked me on my ass as the Marines swarmed in, quickly dispatching the convicts acting as guards that were confused and surprised at the same time before I went along ripping off steel cell doors as fast as I went by, freeing anyone still locked in individual cells, the din created by the excited babble rose several decibel levels as Marines in full getup began walking into the cell block through the hole I had just made.

“People we are leaving, anyone who is not on the bus is getting left!” Captain Simmeroff appeared at my shoulder, pointing people in the right direction to go as I joined the Marines at the windows, who were holding their own against the convicts shooting back, but it seemed they had other problems to worry about.

Outside the initial bunch of zombies had surprised and nearly overwhelmed the convicts, many of them were bitten and crawled off inside to wherever they could hide as a mismatched collection of convicts began fighting back, of course whenever they opened fire they immediately found themselves targets to many assault rifle toting Marines as the cover provided by the shipping containers made things easier for us.

Women and young children were scrambling towards the hastily erected exit I had made to get inside the building so they could dash across the derbies filled courtyard and throw themselves into a bus of other vehicle being driven by any Marine or volunteer from Safe Haven as the first wave of zombies finally arrived.

They swarmed through the destroyed wall like a flood of driver ants that immediately went for anything human, say the wounded and dying convicts scattered all over the courtyard while we were busy loading prisoners onto the buses, knowing that we didn’t have very much time left before the zombies ran out of food and came after us.

It took somewhere around fifteen minutes to go around freeing people from cells, handcuffs and chains as they were busy collecting what few personal items they had and getting in line to get onto the buses as the second one pulled away from the hole, crammed with easily sixty people as the next one pulled up to the hole.

Hunter was covered in blood that wasn’t his, apparently he used his M249 at close range and reduced six convicts to little pieces before butt stroking another convict when he ran out of ammunition, sending a fresh splatter of blood all over himself as he proceeded to drop his weapon and resort to his knife for another convict, practically gutting the convict before calmly reloading his M249 and continuing his sweep with the rest of Marines.

“Is that everyone?” Hop yelled as he pushed people in the direction of the vehicles, suddenly finding himself without anyone to push as he looked back at me, as I was busy bringing up the rear, helping a couple of women who had been beaten and chained to wall along as Captain Simmeroff went from person to person, looking for him wife and daughter.

My gut told me that somebody else was in the building and that Captain Simmeroff would refuse to leave without his family, I slapped him on the shoulder and jerked my thumb over my shoulder to emphasize my point, “I’ll make another sweep of the place, get everyone back into the vehicles and get ready to go!”

He didn’t question, but I saw the pleading look in his eyes as I turned and raced for the stairs leading up into the higher sections of the cell block, pushing the door inward from fifty feet away as I shot up the stairs and began racing through the prison block. Doors and walls alike were ripped apart like they were nothing, I kept going and checking, ignoring the fear and screams of the dying convicts as I went, intent on finding anyone else still in the building that was a prisoner.

In a security office I found six people, five women and a little man with pants around his ankles fucking a small blonde woman laying on the floor, blood pouring from her lip as the handcuffs secured her to the floor, the rest of them gasped in surprise at the sight of me coming through a wall like it wasn’t there.

Before the convict could turn around and see what had just smashed through a brick wall, I reached out mentally and snapped his neck, hearing the crack and snapping of cartilage and bone from where I stood as his head twisted around three times before separating from his body, falling to the floor as blood pumped from the veins in the neck. The handcuffs and chains were gently pried open so as not to hurt any of them, in awe they watched as I spun around and pumped eight rounds through the steel door behind as it fell open, three convicts armed with assault rifles and shotguns were clutching chest wounds before they were mentally shoved farther down the hall and down the stairs.

“Can you all move?” I nearly slapped myself for asking such a dumb question and instead of waiting for an answer, I scooped them up and ran back towards the cell block, sensing that a lot of convicts were coming up the stairs.

I could count no less than thirty convicts coming up the stairs from the mind patterns, all of them angry and screaming for blood as I noticed one of the women was named Simmeroff as I quickly scanned them as I stopped short.

“Emily Simmeroff?” I asked as I used my powers to scrunch the steel door around so it would next to impossible to open as I reached out and shook her hand, “Where is your daughter?”

Emily was wary as she watched me tug at my radio, “Sir, I found your wife, incoming one minute.”

“My husband?” Emily broke out in tears as she fiddled with her hands, no doubt realizing she was naked and about to see her husband, “My daughter is… up in the north guard tower, please hurry!”

“No worries, just get your husband back to the vehicles, just let him know I’m going to get her.” I paused as I waved down at Hunter.

Once I was back at the stairs leading to the exit, I set all of them down, Emily of them racing off and jumping into the arms of Captain Simmeroff as the others followed while I stopped and turned around, heading back the way I was going before a voice stopped me.

“Make sure you find her Chris!” Captain Simmeroff was shrugging off his jacket to give to his wife as Hunter was herding everyone out to the awaiting vehicles, looking demonic with all of the blood covering him.

I nodded and took off running, finding my way along to the north guard tower from the route I pulled from Emily’s memory as I put several rounds into doors, my mind seeking out other people who were convicts as I blindly shot through the doors with my .357 Colt Python, scoring vital organs and headshots while collapsing entire doors to leave no stone unturned.

The fighting was really picking up as I passed through the quarters of the convicts, trying to block out the harsh things that would eat away my resolve, such as the dismembered bodies scattered along the hallway, this was where the Death Row Inmates lived and still enjoyed some pretty twisted things.
I found Elizabeth Simmeroff and six other convicts in the north guard tower, which was an enclosed building with a front row seat to the total devastation of the prison complete with spider webbed bullet resistant windows sporting large holes in them and a couple dead convicts.

Nobody was prepared for the middle of the floor to give away, dropping six convicts down eight flights of stairs and then fore someone to come up brandishing an revolver and an assault rifle, gunning down another nine convicts. I tossed the bodies off the tower after informing Randy that the north tower was secure so they wouldn’t light it up with an AT4 rocket if the fire got any worse before I went around reloading my weapons and freeing the sixteen captives from the chains and handcuffs.

Elizabeth Simmeroff was a mess, being the center of attention from no less than four convicts while the rest of the women were simply there waiting for their turn, I dropped down next to her still form and shook her shoulder.

Wham!

She had been laying on her side and struck when I rolled her over, had I not thrown a protective bubble around myself to avoid a direct hit, I would have sang soprano for the rest of my life as I heard the distinctive sound of bones breaking, her fist slamming into something that felt like a brick wall.
Luckily she passed out from the pain as I lifted her off the floor, snapping handcuff links and chains to free the rest of them and took off at a dead sprint back the way I had come to get back to the vehicles before all Hell came pouring down on the prison.

“Have found package and will be back in three minutes,” I panted into the microphone taking residence up my nose before sliding around another corner, the mental waves of some very pissed off convicts sounding like thunder in my head, “make that five.”

Footsteps, harsh breathing and weapons clanking together could be heard as I was faced with a decision, either take the convicts on right here and buy more time for the others to get going or else try fighting off the convicts as we were trying to make our escape.

Again I nearly hit myself for asking stupid questions as I drew back my fist and waited for the first convict to step into view. When he did he laughed at the sight of me standing thirty feet, weapon pointing at the floor and my fist cocked back to my shoulder like I was going to deck the first guy who stepped around the corner. What he probably didn’t find very funny was the fact he ceased to exist after I let go of that wave of raw energy that collapsed the ceiling and floor and pushed every convict back down the stairs, along with several tons of concrete broken off the walls, effectively entombing them in a pile of concrete.

My blast of energy had knocked out the wall so I could see the courtyard now, in awe I stepped forward to see a moving mass of zombies swarming over the courtyard like an army of ants that ripped apart the dead and dying convicts, getting inside the rest of the buildings like a wildfire and general chaos could be heard from here.

Many of the convicts had just been waking up for the morning and had come running out to see what was going on, surprised beyond belief when they ran into the arms of the dead, what little fight the convicts had left in them after the initial explosions, mortar fire and zombies was further nipped at the bud as the Marines and volunteers opened fire on anyone else toting weapons, cutting them down like wheat.

I quickly kept going and reached where Hunter was doing his best against a dozen convicts down in the cell block, he was easily holding his own and had already stacked up eight like cordwood before tossing several hand grenades.

“Clear the road!” I shouted into my mike as Hunter paled slightly and dove behind cover, the convicts thought they had achieved victory and came out from behind cover to advance on Hunter, thinking they had scared him off, when in fact he was running back to the entry point screaming for everyone to move because a heavy was about to be dropped.

I let go another blast that rocked me back on my heels, firing a blob of energy that started in the middle of my chest about three feet across and flew out into the middle of the cell block, blasting a hole eight feet deep into the floor after tearing through a whole cell block, sending concrete and steel flying. It destroyed the countless convicts hiding behind concrete as the ricochets careened around the inside of the cell block, bouncing off one hard surface before going off in another direction after hitting another, stopping only after they hit something soft, like the convicts.

Looking back through the hole I had blasted earlier, I made a decision and collected up the women, who were shivering due to the fact it was colder now and made my exit from the cell block.

The Beast was still parked below where Captain Simmeroff had left it, giving maximum fields of cover fire as I jumped out of the hole in the wall, I will admit that Randy was none too happy when I landed next to his shoulder with several naked women that I stuffed into the Beast, he was busy firing bursts into each window that had muzzle flashes or movement in them, effectively keeping the defensive fire down to a minimum while the zombies began pouring through doorways and holes created from the explosives.

I cocked my fist again and let another wave of energy, not one bit focused or controlled slam into the building, busting through several feet of cement like it was made of rice paper before someone driving the Beast threw the vehicle into gear and sped away from the prison, fishtailing around a corner to follow the rest of the escape convoy, but I wasn’t done yet.

A part of me knew deep down inside that once the convicts were able to secure parts of the prison again and then form a mob, they would come raining down on Safe Haven, bring death and destruction with them, there was no way all of the zombies would get them, there was always going to be some left, just like lice.

They say an effective to kill lice is to burn them and I think that would do the trick, if you happen to have enough fire to burn down an entire prison.
Or in a realistic case, say half a dozen semi fuel tanker trailers loaded with gasoline and diesel fuel still sitting along the south wall of the prison complex and you could lift them up over the rest of the buildings and rain down the fuel.

My walkie-talkie and satellite phone were going nuts, but I crushed each tanker in a giant fist, much like one would do to crush an apple or wring a sponge over a sink, one after another, making damn sure the fuel was spread out evenly over the entire prison before I plucked several of the hand grenades off my belt and simply hovered several hundred feet above the prison.

Below me a seething mass of zombies feasted on the unlucky souls, a slaughter really because they had superior numbers and such, the escape convoy of mismatched vehicles looked like toy cars speeding down a white shag carpet as I dropped the grenades, knowing full well that not every prisoner had been rescued, there was always going to be stragglers off in different parts of the prison, we all had known that before we had left Safe Haven, simply too many for such a small group of rescuers to handle, but at least we got most of them out.

We had gotten most of them out. It was like a mantra in my head as the grenades fell out of sight and vanished below me, seconds before detonating and setting off a fire that exploded like a hungry monster intent only on devouring everything in it’s path, it was a monster.

At least we had gotten most of them out.

The prison complex was consumed by the hungry flames that sought out anything that would burn, like watching a dragon slowly wake up as the fire grew, engulfing anything it touched and soon turned the whole complex into a tomb.

I simply hovered several hundred feet above the burning prison, listening to the inhuman screams and cries that rose up off the place, the zombies uncaringly walking into the flames as they tried to quench their hunger while the fire continued to grow.

[Anyone like the new material?]
Last edited by FIDO on Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hardest Thing About The Zombie Apocalypse Would Be Pretending That I'm Not Excited.

Fear Me Not, I Shall Create Peace... After Kicking Ass And Taking Names First

"let any man stand before the mast and show his iron, for I shall measure it with my own steel and cut him down

"You, you and you, panic."

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am

Wow, those energy bursts sound messy!

I do have one bit of constructive criticism.

Your writing style flows very fast, almost at a hectic pace, sometimes it pays to slow down a bit, be a bit more descriptive about his environment and whats happening, delve into his mind a bit to feel his mood or feelings about what's coming up (as he can kinda see round corners). and you can easily flesh out a chapter to MOAR :D

Thanks for the awesome read so far !
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Wow... Is all I can say, that is an Awesome story... I don't want to sound like the other MOAR zombies but yeah, I spent the entire evening reading this and its awesome.

Thanks and am looking forward to MOAR!
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.
Brownies/Star Crunch/AR15

FIDO

Post by FIDO » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 am

Okay everyone, last and final week of school, got 3 1/2 days left, so I need to finish six classes, get my shit together and then walk into graduation, I'll try getting another chapter posted, maybe as a cliffhanger for the rest of the story, like Part Two or something, but until then, I will not be around much and after graduation, it's off to work until I leave for the Marines July 25th, been the Delayed Entry Program since October, so I have a lot of work to do, no Internet at home and trips to the library are rare.
I promise to Chapter Nineteen up by no later than Thursday, if not, then my parents killed me and buried me because I didn't graduate, I have no fear of that happening if all of my teachers were not assigning three chapters and a final exam test even though we do not take semester tests.

Wish me luck
The Hardest Thing About The Zombie Apocalypse Would Be Pretending That I'm Not Excited.

"let any man stand before the mast and show his iron, for I shall measure it with my own steel and cut him down

golem3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by golem3 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:30 pm

Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing your stories with us.

FIDO

Post by FIDO » Mon May 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Heads up everyone, I edited Chapter Eighteen^^^ so have fun reading it.

You know, screw last minute homework, I just lit a fire under my ass and someone just threw on the gasoline.

Oh yeah, that was you guys...

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm

I just got done reading it nice work.

Now moar please!
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

FIDO

Post by FIDO » Thu May 12, 2011 9:27 am

Here is Chapter Nineteen.

Chapter Nineteen

While we drove away with vehicles crammed with people, the prison put up a pall of smoke high enough to be seen for three days as we raced back to Safe Haven before the next big snow storm blocked us in while I sat in the Beast with Randy, Hop, Captain Simmeroff, Emily Simmeroff, Elizabeth Simmeroff, six other naked women crammed up where ammunition for the .50 Browning used to sit, Hunter and Terri as we raced ahead of the convoy, I was busy shoving virgin snow aside while we raced through the morning light.

After telling Captain Simmeroff how his daughter had become hurt, he gave me a stern look and patched up his daughter himself before wrapping her in a blanket and setting both his wife and daughter into his lap and wrapping his arms around them both. Everyone else was given a blanket once we got everyone into a comfortable seat, I gave one woman my coat and another my sleeping bag to curl up in before cramming myself into the gunner turret with only a light jacket on to stay where I was needed.

Hunter was in the very back of the Beast discovering new injuries and trying to clean himself off while Randy and Terri began passing out food and water to everyone inside the vehicle as I shrugged off the idea of food after I tossed another glance back in the direction of the prison. Turns out Hop was driving the massive LAV as the convoy was moving at a moderate speed, I listened to the radio as each vehicle began reporting how many living and how many dead they had.

We lost three Marines and five volunteers, with another sixteen lightly wounded, eight of the captives had been killed as well and thirty of them were unaccounted for, apparently they had been off in other parts of the prison when we had arrived. One of the buses had taken fire and was casuing some grief as we got two Marines dressed in full winter gear riding on the roof of Beast and three children inside out of the cold after we stopped to rearrange people and gear. We scrapped the vehicle, placed the people in other vehicles where there was room to spare along with gear and kept going, Hop keeping in the front of the convoy while I kept the roads clear.

KJ sent me sixteen messages on my satellite phone, the first eight were warnings that every zombie within fifty miles of the prison was converging on that location, five were warnings during the time I had dribbled fuel all over the prison and three followed as we were on the road. Apparently we were in for one Hell of a blizzard, one that would drop record snow fall never seen in the last hundred years, so it was advised that we stop and set up some temporary quarters for at least a month because it was bad.

Captain Simmeroff concurred with that idea after looking at the mass of weather on the live satellite feed about to hit us in three hours, there was no way we could keep going after it hit and we couldn’t outrun the storm, so we quickly picked some place to hole up for awhile.
It ended up being a high school in some little town just outside of Memphis, the school was a three story affair with a chain link fence surrounding it and not many zombies in the area at all. After we checked the building and moved in, the storm had let loose with such a vengence that Captain Simmeroff had ordered the drivers to leave the vehicles running in the event they would freeze up on us we might still get them started.

I went around and got my hands on every tree within a mile of the school, snapping them off at ground level to haul back firewood and reduced everything to decent sized kindling after we whipped up several barrels into fire pits we could place inside the gym so the windows could be open and allow air to clear out the smoke. After hiding the vehicles in the old bus shed with two other school buses we started and got running, that would help with transporting everyone back to Safe Haven once the storm passed as we hunkered down and prepared for the worst. By worst I mean I had to go out and get every article of clothing from the local department store, mall and several private homes so we didn’t have a total of eighty-six naked women running around, along with forty-three naked children, ranging from ten to about fifteen.

We put our dead in coffins from the local funeral home and set them aside, they were going to get buried back at Safe Haven when we got back after we held a brief ceremony for them, every single person saluted them as a handful of Marines acted as honor guard and discharged several rounds in respect for the men who had died.

The storm really had it in for us as it slammed into the school with gusts of wind reaching sixty miles an hour for the next two days, dropping an estimated fifteen feet or so of snow in that time as the temperature hovered around twenty below zero without the factored wind chill. We had burn barrels and space heaters in the bus barn so the vehicles stayed warm enough so the fuel would not jel up, we had brought plently along with us to last at the rate we were burning it for a month, but we found several kerosene and oil heaters scattered around the town that really helped with keeping all of us warm.

Candles and electric heaters powered by several small generators used up most of the space on the second floor of the building as people were dressed in enough clothing to stay somewhat warm, finding decent shoes and boots was difficult to say the least, but we managed to avoid any cases of frostbite the whole time. The school kitchen only had what food wouldn’t spoil, which was little, but we ate it sparenly and rationed what we could.

I spent most of my time collecting firewood from the nearby hills, hauling in enough to put a lumberyard to shame before I stumbeled across the coal mine eight miles away in such a howling storm I nearly got lost with fifty tons of coal before stumbling back into the high school, running a high fever, but still alive. After getting fed soup broth filled with freshly killed pheasant and quail for the next three days and whatever cold medicene they could force down my throat, I was bundled up in a small classroom with my attending nurse sharing the same sleeping bag to provide extra body warmth and several other sick people who had picked up colds, coughs and whatnot. It took a full day for my fever to break, which wasn’t that bad, but I learned my attending nurses turned out to be no one other than Elizabeth Simmeroff and several other women we had rescued, in one memorable instance I learned I was cuddling with Hunter in my feverish state.

The coal was the winning factor for us to hold out through the storm, it burned hotter and longer than wood did, not needing time to let the snow melt and thaw first as the school was kept toaty warm in several rooms and we managed to prevent the vehicles from freezing up on us as well, another bonus in my book. We even managed to hunt deer from the roof of the school, a couple marksmen spotted the animals and shot them, then having to go out and retrieve the dead animals so we could later eat them, we didn’t get much, but we all got a little bit.

Captain Simmeroff and his famiy were the hub of all happiness I guess, they were lucky in having found each other even in the middle of all this, even after they had thought of each as dead, they still managed to pull through. We sent messages back to Safe Haven daily and Blink even made it back from Safe Haven with a few bottles of medicene and spare socks a couple times, along with all of the hand warmers he could get his hands on.

I spent most of my time, other than being sick of course, sitting in an old classroom thinking and talking about my past life with all my friends and people I accepted as family I guess, mostly it was the funny or odd things from our old lives, nothing that would bring back grief and misery. From what I had been able to discover from a little mind peeking, half of these women were from a prison meant for women that the convicts had simply cleared out in the early days, treated the same as the women they pulled out of hiding places and such before taking them all back to that prison. Only a selected few were allowed outside of the cell block when they had not been working in the fields or in the rooms where they were given clothes to mend, food to cook and whatever little menial job needed done and then there was the whole sex slave thing I didn’t want to think about a whole lot and what most of them wanted to forget about the most.

While we were waiting out the storm, Captain Simmeroff decided it was time to start teaching everyone how to use a weapon, such as a pistol, so the bottom hallway was alive with gunshots, cordite and spent brass everywhere as groups of women went down there to start learning how to shoot.
Because ammunition was limited, they were really just taught how to hold it properly, how to aim and were given about five shots at hitting a target twenty feet away, full size torso target where just hitting the black meant they could shoot.

The snow was both our ally and enemy, it got deep enough to deny zombies the movement they would need to follow us, mostly they just floundered in the snow deeper than ten feet and couldn’t go anywhere after they packed the snow so tight they couldn’t move. For some reason they didn’t freeze, it seemed that they slowed down a little bit and often had difficulty seeing anything because they never could wipe the snow off their faces, but they were for the most part no longer a problem. Walking in snow is not an easy thing without snowshoes, so you’re up to your thighs in about five minutes of struggling, an hour and you are buried, but we don’t wander outside of the school parking lot in fear of getting pulled down by a bunch of half frozen zombies trapped in the snow either, better safe than sorry.

Clearing the snow was also a hazard, as you dig away in the snow, you never can tell when a zombie is going to pop out and bite yu, so I did all of the snow removal when we began moving out, basically with another set of buses the Beast had a lot more room in it as I took my usual pack of henchmen and went ahead to clear a road ahead of everyone else.

KJ provided us with hourly satellite updates so we knew for sure we still on track, following key interstates and state highways along until we were in shallower snow, which was after two days of dogged stop and go. I was the guy moving hundreds of miles worth of snow in a span of several days, as we steadily progressed farther south, the snow became shallower, the temperature got warmer and things began going faster. Having not fully recovered from my cold, I had a hacking cough and snot running out of my nose like a river for the next two weeks as we arrived back at Safe Haven, often times having to wait for a vehicle to complete repairs or change tires while fighting off the zombies that were not buried in several feet of snow.

I found out that I picked up lice and fleas no less in the Check Station, couple that with a cold and you have a recipe for misery, so I spent a long time couped up in one of the Check Cells, getting food from the Center in great big servings and a steady stream of get well soon cards, but Doc Trebly had forbidden anyone from actually entering the same room as me because I also had bronchitis as well, more joy for me. Things were getting kinda of thin around here, with another hundred people, all of them women no less, food was rationed more strictly and we now had a surplus of bodies to put to work because nobody was going to ride for free.

Fifty-seven women and eleven teenage girls were pregnant that decided to go full term, four teenagers had to terminate the pregnancies because Doc Trebly knew it would kill them and the unborn child because they were so young. For a man with no heart, he became a grandfather figure to everyone from that prison, making sure they were alright, healthy and had what they needed, being one of the most important doctors we had, his word was God and everyone jumped through hoops to do as he told. He had another clinic of sorts built to help handle all of the future childbirths that would happen in a couple of months while I finally recovered enough to get out of the Check Cell and back to my old bunk, which had been occupied while I was gone, so I pitched a tent out in front of Mike’s house and got to work.

Mostly I had to make up all of the lost time with Anastaisa, so we spent several days working with heavy objects after morning workout, complete with a five mile run because I figured that vehicles were going to become scarce with the loss of spare parts and equipment as we celebrated a late New Year’s party, one without the need for my talents as I had Lisa gripping my arm tighten enough to require axle grease and a crowbar to break free of as she practically tossed me into Elizabeth Simmeroff.

She really wanted to play matchmaker as the Terrible Two watched in dismay as I hung around near Captain Simmeroff and his wife for the rest of the party, only drinking water from my canteen the whole time and shooting them death ray glares whenever they tried getting someone to hand me a drink. I took the drinks and dumped them out when nobody was looking so nobody got wasted on a little something that was meant for me, not that there was anything in them but lemonade and water, I was cautious.

Elizabeth was a nice partner, even with one hand in a cast as we danced to a polite tune, her father boring holes in the back of my head from fifty feet away as we remained stonic towards one another, she not entirely open and trusting and I was not wanting to make a big scene in front of her father, who I had seen make a headshot with a rifle from eleven hundred yards away just yesterday.

Mike was holding his daughter as Molly talked with several other ladies, she had to be the center of all social gossip around Safe Haven as I entertained the kid with a ride on my shoulders, careful to make sure she was spported just fine as she patted the top of my bald head and chooed at everyone.

“Been tearing apart engines and the guts of transmissions in the Shop for a month,” Mike snagged a refilled bottle of beer and took a swallow, grimacing at the taste, “I get to start teaching some kids tomorrow how to tear apart a motor and put it back together, so that will be fun.”

Our program was that anyone old enough who wanted to learn a job skill would start once they were old enough, say about twelve years old, so we had kids becoming mechanics, farmers and workers at such a young age, even though they still had to attend regular schooling. The School was where they learned math, writing, reading, history, PE and other things like saturation training, from there they still had hands on training and work to do, we were not in the middle of planting or harvest season so activity was mostly around the Factory, Shop, Motor Pool and Fuel Depot.

With such a large number of new people, Sergenant Payne asked me to help with shooting drills, mostly with pistols because we were going to use oddball calibers to get everyone up to snuff, so the .357, .44 and .38 revolvers were brought out of Storage and I was let loose with ten women to turn into crack shots because my limit of ammunition was two hundred rounds a person, mostly if they could shoot or not. We started out simple, dry firing the guns at targets ten feet away until it was almost muscle memory, if it was standing, prone, kneeling or crouching, we practiced for a week before we got to use real ammunition.

I admit, we didn’t have a lot of Annie Oakley reincarnations, but they got the hang of it after firing about half of the ammunition I was issued to give them and they were able to at least hit what they were aiming at. Not like some people here at Safe Haven could shoot, but I felt comfortable know they could at least plug holes in whatever they were going to shoot at, not very far away, but pistols are not meant for long range anyway.

Rifle training on the other hand, some of these women scare me the way they can happily punch holes in paper with three inch group shots from a hundred feet with iron sights, so quiet a few of them became Guards because they were becoming crack shots. Shotgun, submachine gun and grenade training was done by someone else, but the instructor reported they could at least operate everything without shooting themselves or blowing themselves up, a bonus in my book.

KJ had located a fairly large bunch of survivors somewhere out in the Florida Keys via satellite, apparently it was a large cruise liner that had shown up and parked sometime in the last month or so. He sent a satellite transmission and was rewarded by a response from the ship and was also disturbed when they reported to having some new kind of zombie onboard that was killing people at an alarming rate.

In the short fax paper, they said they had brought zombies onboard the ship in a converted science lab to try and find a cure of sorts and had no problem leaving them locked up away from everyone else, but something happened. It was like they had changed in some way, becoming stronger than before, moving faster and showing a sort of intelligence that most zombies didn’t. Like they could gather a group of weaker zombies and herd them along with grunts, howls, moans and screams so when they needed a lot of bodies, they had a bunch with them. Nobody was thrilled to hear that the new super zombies had escaped into the main population of the ship, infecting people who showed signs of being just like the escapees, stronger, faster and somewhat smarter. It was also explained that if one of these super zombies attacked and bit a regular infected zombie, that particular would behave much like the super that bit them in a few short days.

I think if we had a nuke, we would have fired it on the Florida Keys and hopefully wiped out this new menace before it became such a problem, but the ship had already made landfall and it was suspected that some zombies had disembarked with the passengers onto dry land. The bad news came when they sent a three-hour long video comprised of everything they knew about these super zombies and were calling for help.

What scared all of us was when the super zombies broke into the radio booth while the live feed was on the air and killed six people, watching the screen I felt something form in my stomach that was most certainly fear as a man armed with a shotgun blew one arm off a super and then the other. The zombie was able to rip his throat out with it’s teeth before tearing into the poor man as blood sprayed around the booth and covered the camera, throwing the whole picture into a crimson color lens before KJ terminated the signal connection.

Berserk. Those things were far more viscous than the regular zombies, they just kept hitting, clawing, biting, tearing and screaming in such a high pitch wail that it drove the other zombies nuts.

I called them Berserkers and decided to figure out what to do with the Safe Haven council on what course of action we were going to do.

Turned out to be nothing.

The majority vote was that such a rescue operation would not yield very many results and mean more loss, such as fuel, vehicles, ammunition, medical, food and not to mention the possibility of loosing people we could not replace. They voted six different times and still got the same results, it was not worth the risk to go and attempt a rescue overland, but they did decide to send a small recon team in to have a look around by boat from the coast of Texas.

Looks like I’m going on a long boat trip.

END OF PART ONE

golem3

Post by golem3 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 am

Great - you finished Part One, implying there will be more Parts and left us with a cliff-hanger. Thanks a load! :lol: Hope you get to work on it soon. Thanks again for all your work so far.

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm

It is monday why is there no MOAR?? :cry:
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

FIDO

Post by FIDO » Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Well, school is over and I have been working for my Dad for the last few days, right now I am sitting in a public library waiting for it too stop raining [NOT!] and decided to see what happened while I was gone.
Other than today, the last time I was on a computer when I made my last post here 3 days ago?
Fear not, for I have been working out Part Two in my head, all I need is an hour, which I do not have right now, and a computer with Microsoft Word and I'll have the next installment added, whenever that may be.

Anything you guys really want to see in Part Two? What did you all like the most in Part One? Some feedback is wanted....

Leave a opinon/comment here and I'll go over it when I can.

golem3

Post by golem3 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:15 am

Well, since you asked. I'd like to see what they do now that they have so many people. Do they start working on a plan for wiping out more of the zeds (at least around their Haven)? With that many people and that many mutants, they should work on a long-range plan for clearing out the infestation around them so they can expand a little more.

Maybe since there are mutants in the "live" population, there should be some zombie-mutants also. It seems like you were foreshadowing that some also.

Maybe some "political" stuff - does the remaining government want to take over their safe haven? Maybe a contingent of gov't types show up and start rocking the boat and people have to be reminded of what got them there in the first place.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

Freaking sweet addition... there are too many options to suggest, I kinda want the guy to get hooked up with someone be it the daughter or some other one, maybe another new surprise mutant on a rescue mission?

The Gov issue could be an interesting twist... There are several other ideas I have no clue it's your story and I am just along for the ride

Keep'em coming and thanks

-BTW thanks for getting the Don't fear the Reaper stuck into my playlist
Pastryfish wrote:"...After this incident, I don't give a f*** if the factory magazines are made in North Korea, Iran, or Mexico
by-the-throat wrote:The bo staff isn't mall ninja fare until you mount a picatinny rail on it.

jrswanson1

Post by jrswanson1 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:27 am

Good stuff! As for Word, if you can't find a Windows PC with Word, use Wordpad, unless you need to do special formatting.

Jim

FIDO

Post by FIDO » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Holy crap, has it really been that long since I've been on the Internet? (Counts on fingers, scans calender and slaps palm into face) Yep that I have.
Um, well I have been kicking ideas around, but the computer at home is currently taking a serious shit and I lost my flash drive, but I have been making some progress on this and hopefully in the next couple days I can post.
AKA, wait for the older siblings to leave the car keys unattended so I can race up to the library.

Curtai

Post by Curtai » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:12 am

Waiting patiently like the other MOAR zombies....

Thanks and looking forward to it.

m249saw

Post by m249saw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

fourpaws
ZS Member
ZS Member
Location: Worcester in the rolling green countryside.. or up to my eyes and ears in sand and dust..

Post by fourpaws » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:38 pm

FIDO wrote:Well, school is over and I have been working for my Dad for the last few days, right now I am sitting in a public library waiting for it too stop raining [NOT!] and decided to see what happened while I was gone.
Other than today, the last time I was on a computer when I made my last post here 3 days ago?
Fear not, for I have been working out Part Two in my head, all I need is an hour, which I do not have right now, and a computer with Microsoft Word and I'll have the next installment added, whenever that may be.

Anything you guys really want to see in Part Two? What did you all like the most in Part One? Some feedback is wanted....

Leave a opinon/comment here and I'll go over it when I can.

Think that we need to see whats going to happen with these ship-borne "mega-zombies" .... I can see them being a bit of a handful !!
Cracking read though... really enjoying it.. :D
Somewhere, somehow, someones going to be smashing zombies.....

Manliest
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland.

Post by Manliest » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 pm

MOAR. please.

golem3

Post by golem3 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:55 am

Sure would like some more.

FIDO

Post by FIDO » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Too long.....way too long since I've read this little peice of work, gonna have a long time of catching up again before I ever start on this bad boy again, going to have to start over from scratch.....

Still, it'll be fun to really work off and make the sequeal better. :clap:

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Yuss, awesome!
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

DAVE KI
Favorite Zombie Movies: WWZ though nowhere as good as the book.

Post by DAVE KI » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:06 am

Well we are still waiting. Now? would be a good time. OK tomorrow works? Still hanging in there. Really like the characters, and line the story is taking. :clap: :awesome:
"We'll Fight Them, Sir!, Until Hell Freezes Over, And Then We'll Fight Them On The Ice! Sir!

wminscoe7

Post by wminscoe7 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Another request for you to start story back up. Looking forward
To where it's going to go! Now is perfect time I think to post next chapter!

Return to “Fiction”