Two for the Road

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wrecking Ball
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Dawn of the Dead.

Re: Two for the Road

Post by Wrecking Ball » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:21 pm

MOARRRRR please!@!@!@!@!@!@
Finch wrote:i sometimes hope zombies come so i dont have to go to work
Finch wrote:i don't keep sharp things near me when my wiener is out of my pants
-Finch, you are a funny man.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:59 pm

yeah, moar!! :mrgreen:

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:16 am

"The sun will come out, tomorrow,
Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, there'll be sun..."

from Tomorrow from the Annie Soundtrack

Ryan, as well as those interested in helping him, began taking stock of what the camp still had at its disposal, since they would have to depart before they got too close to running out of essentials. They needed to have at least some supplies on hand while on the road, since no one knew where their next source would be. Living on the move was a terrifying prospect, and more so for those who had been with Ike at the beginning, since it had cost them too many friends, but for the most part, this would be almost a new thing for Ryan and Daphne, and totally new for Aaron and Kristin.

Ryan, Daphne, Aaron, Kristin, Ike, and Boyd began attempting to calculate how much they would need and how much they could carry, but none were experts as making calculations. They would not have as many vehicles at their disposal as when they had arrived, as some of their previous drivers were dead. This was much more complicated as any of them had imagined, and they quickly agreed that no one person had the right answers.

Ryan, after spending much of the day with his friends, trying to determine how much longer they would be staying, finally said, “Okay, I think we can all agree on one thing: we need to hit the road the moment that the ice melts. Once the roads are passable, we need to start using them. The longer we stay here, the less we’ll have to get us to the next possible source of supplies.”

Ike said, “The others aren’t going to like this. They’re going to want to stay here as long as they can. You know how people are. They think that as long as that fence is in between them and the rest of the world, they’re safe.”

“Yeah, I know. But safety doesn’t mean shit when the food runs out. We need to get moving fast. And we need to remind everyone that when we do, those things are probably going to be on their feet again. Despite all the bullshit that went down, we’ve had it easier here than we would out there. The good life is about to come to a screeching halt.”

It was that night at dinner that Ryan made his announcement. He stood up and raised his hand, and everyone else subsequently fell silent. “Everyone, listen up. You’ve all been wondering when we’re leaving this place, and I can finally answer that. I know that some of you would like to stick around for as long as possible, and truth be told, I’m not exactly eager to go back out there and see what those things did to our world, but the fact remains that we can’t stay here much longer. We don’t how much in the way of supplies we can get on the move, so we need to carry as much as we can. That means leaving as soon as we’re able. The snow has already melted to the point that our snowmobiles are pretty much useless, unless we can get them to run on mush. Once the snow melts to the point that we can drive safely, we need to go. By the look of it, that might be inside of a week.”

Yolanda was clearly not thrilled by this news. “A week? You want us to go back out there in a week? Are you kidding us?”

Ryan replied, “If go in two weeks, it won’t be any easier, and we’ll have a week’s less food with us. I know you don’t want to leave so soon and neither do I, but things are what they are. We need to take as much as possible and leave as soon as we can. There’s no other way to give ourselves a chance out there.”

Manny got involved. “But we’re not safe out there. In here we are. We should stay as safe as we can for as long as we can. That’s what we ought to do. Screw that noise about going out there the moment we’re able. That’s just going to get us killed sooner, and that’s a load of crap.”

“I’ve explained our position already, and I’m not going to take the rest of the goddamned day trying to justify it. Let me spell it out for you. When the roads become usable, we’re getting out of here. We’re taking whatever we can when we do. If you want to stay here, go ahead, but I promise you, we’re taking every thing that isn’t bolted to the ground. You want a mouthful of food? That’s all coming with us. Those are your choices, and arguing with me doesn’t change that.”

Boyd stood up. “He’s right. We don’t know what’s out there or how long it’s going to take us to find more of what we need. We need to have as much with us as we can take when we go. It’s been a good run here, but there’s no point in screwing ourselves just to stay another week or two. Once the roads are clear, we go. I agree totally with Ryan on that.”

Tara had input. “I don’t want to stay here if all the food and stuff is going to drive away. If Ryan says we’re leaving, I don’t think we’re going to talk him out of it. We might as well just go.”

Ike raised his hand. “Listen, we should all try to remember that this isn’t a debate. Ryan’s in charge and if he says we’re leaving once we’re able, then that’s what we’re doing. Rather than challenging him on it, maybe what we should be doing is preparing ourselves for what’s about to happen. It’s going to be rough. We all knew this place was just to hide out for the winter, but winter’s ending. We might as well deal with the fact that this place has served its purpose and get ready to go deal with whatever’s waiting for us out there. This is not a town hall meeting. Ryan has made up his mind and he has my support. Once the roads are usable, we’re gone. That’s the end of that story.”

Michelle said, in her almost angelic voice, “Then I guess we’ll have to make the best of it.”

Ryan smiled. “That’s right, Michelle. That’s exactly what we’re going to do.”
"If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and there's a straw, there it is, that's a straw...and my straw reaches...acrosssssssss the room, and begins to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! SLURRRP! I DRINK IT UP!

Wrecking Ball
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Dawn of the Dead.

Post by Wrecking Ball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 am

Yay! More action and conflict to come! :)

TheCrazyAunt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by TheCrazyAunt » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:36 am

Crap.
I just caught up (from pg 5).
Sleep is overrated, anyway.
Need I say MOAR?
Didn't think so!
My BOB and EDC
Well, you're kind of like an irritable Buddhist: every once in a while you get pissed and throw shit out.
Ok. But dogs can look up.

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 am

“Got no time to for spreadin' roots,
The time has come to be gone,
And to' our health we drank a thousand times,
It's time to ramble on…”

from Ramble On by Led Zeppelin

It wasn’t another week, but rather eleven days after their meeting over dinner that Ryan walked out to the gravel road outside the gate and felt the loud crunch of snow under his boots as it gave way and allowed his soles to grip the gravel underneath. The snow was almost mush anyway, and the snowmobiles, which had done much to help make their winter camp livable, were already useless, and would almost certainly spend eternity rusting where they were. Ryan couldn’t explain why, but something about that made him a little sad. Perhaps in his mind, it was just a reminder that those two nifty vehicles would not help anyone ever again because the world had probably run out of other people to help. Even if there were, they were highly unlikely to come to this place. Theirs might be the last footprints anyone ever left in this camp. That sense of finality was already giving Ryan a decent knot in the stomach, which only compounded the stress of their impending return to the world. Winter was not just ending, it was apparently over. The sun now shone everyday and the temperatures were such that Ryan walked around in a long sleeved shirt, his coat no longer being needed.

Ryan had gathered everyone at lunch and dropped the bomb on them that the time had come.

“Guys, the snow is almost melted. The tires will blow right through it. We can go, so that means we will. Tomorrow, we head out. If anyone has anything left to do around here, I suggest you spend the afternoon doing it. Get your clothes clean, get your shit together, have Kristin cut your hair because it’s not going to be an easy thing to get done on the move. I also don’t want to hear anyone try to talk me into giving it a few more days. I’m not thrilled about going out there either. But that’s what we’re doing. Tomorrow morning. Get ready.”

“Ryan…” Yolanda said, almost whimpering it.

“I said get ready.”

It was a hell of a somber afternoon, and to be fair, Ryan wasn’t any more eager to get going than anyone else was. He knew that he probably wasn’t leading the group anywhere that they would want to go. There was no promised land, no army base with a whole brigade collecting survivors, and no island untouched by this horror. Wherever they went, it would be waiting for them, and he knew all too well that it was only a matter of time, and not much time at that, before they ran into something they couldn’t handle.

For much of the afternoon, the group looked as though they were heading out on vacation. They packed their bags, debated what could be left behind and what absolutely needed to go, and kept looking around, knowing that they would leave this place forever and that whatever they saw between now and the next morning would prove to be their last memories of the place, and probably their last view of something that the dead had never soiled with their rotted hands. The sound of female crying could be heard coming from Manny and Yolanda’s cabin, and it was not the sound of a little girl. Absolute silence came from Tara’s cabin and from Boyd’s as well. Ike, on the other hand, seemed to be singing Al Green tunes as he got his own gear together.

After dinner, when the vehicles had been checked (again), the group, on Ryan’s instruction, they began the slow process of packing all the non-perishables into the vehicles they were taking, while Kristin and Yolanda busied themselves cooking some of the last of the frozen stuffs, which turned out to be a couple of bags of mixed vegetables and some high-school-cafeteria-quality barbecue chicken.

Much happened that night as they continued packing in silence, save for whatever instructions Ryan was giving them. Some still wanted to stay until they had no more choice, and although he concealed it lest he seem indecisive, Ryan understood their feelings. He was conflicted, as though his mind was the grand arena and the gladiators of reason and desire squared off, ringing his ears silly with every strike. Reason was already winning and would dominate in the end, Ryan had no choice but to acknowledge what this place had become to him, for good or ill.

True, there were bad memories, even terrible ones. This was the place where he, Ike, and Daphne had come back with the news that one of their number had been killed in Delta for no reason other than his own foolishness. This was where Nicole had died trying to bring another life into this world, only to lose that as well, and it was within this fence that Ryan cried while carrying them both away to be buried in the snow. This camp was where Mitch was finally overwhelmed by what the world had taken from him and was still taking, forcing him to seek his own end where none could stop him. This was the place where Kristin almost got raped by a psychopathic survivor. True, there were horrors within this fence, but there were wonderful memories as well.

It was within this camp that Ryan had, against all expectations, fallen into a relationship with a woman that, only months earlier, he had gone so far as to contemplate leaving her to die in her cell or possibly end it quickly with a bullet to the brain. How he could have gone from that to this was beyond him, but that’s what he had done. It never occurred to him that the bane of his existence could become the love of his life, but relationships were something he never understood. Maybe they had changed. Maybe they managed to meet in the middle and deal with the here and now as opposed to a past that did not need to come along for the ride.

But then there was the greatest snowball fight in history, or at least that’s what they all called it. It was one for the ages, as was their ability, courtesy of Manny, to give Michelle an actual Christmas. Such things Ryan thought were gone forever. But they managed to squeeze in just one more. Just one.

This place had served as winter quarters, but somehow, it became more than that. That fence was only there because Boyd was a craftsman with few equals, even in the best of times. They all had their own little homes, small though they might be. Whatever happened outside, they had a home to come back to, and that was more than anyone else could probably claim. They had worked together to build this place and maintain in, and it was almost enough to give Ryan a smidge of hope for his species. Here, at last, at the end of the world, someone had the good sense to work together. If only humanity had not waited until the world ended to try it.

Somewhere along the way, this place had become Ryan’s home and his companions had become family. They certainly had their share of family feuds, but they had become family nonetheless.

That night, Ryan lay awake, unable to sleep a wink, which he was sure was happening to everyone else. Daphne rolled over and put her arm over him, which he gently held. Although she would never admit it, Ryan swore he could hear low sobs. He was not the only one who was going to miss this place.

They had been in this camp longer than the station, longer than Aaron’s cabin, and to Daphne, it might have been the first real home she ever had.

After a while, Daphne asked, “Ryan, where are we going to go? Where the hell can we go that will do for us what this place did?”

“The only place we can go. Where the road takes us, I guess.”

“Beyond the sea?”

“Beyond the sea, Daphne…beyond the sea.”
"If you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and there's a straw, there it is, that's a straw...and my straw reaches...acrosssssssss the room, and begins to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! SLURRRP! I DRINK IT UP!

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:35 am

Keep up your writeing Ponyboy and I'll have to add you to my sig :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
if all else fails, accelerate!
KC9UMT

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm going on vacation so marking my place for when I return.

I am very much enjoying the story, Ponyboy.I also appreciate how you never know from one chapter to the next how the pacing is going to go.

Wrecking Ball

Post by Wrecking Ball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm slipping into a coma from lack of MOAR!!! Save me PB!

Off topic, does your name come from The Outsiders? Because I'm fairly certain one young boy in that is nicknamed Ponyboy.

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Wrecking Ball wrote:I'm slipping into a coma from lack of MOAR!!! Save me PB!

Off topic, does your name come from The Outsiders? Because I'm fairly certain one young boy in that is nicknamed Ponyboy.
Yes, someone from that story was named Ponyboy Curtis. No, I am not named after anything Outsiders-related. I got my nickname from something completely different. It involves much inside information, so you wouldn't understand even if you were told in detail.

Keep it here.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Stay golden, Ponyboy!
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Wrecking Ball

Post by Wrecking Ball » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:18 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:Stay golden, Ponyboy!
AHAHA. :)

EDIT:

Seriously though, the MOAR-coma thing. :(

HBEnfield

Post by HBEnfield » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 am

Great story Ponyboy, it's right up there with Doc66's stuff.

I don't like their decision to leave the camp and I completely disagree with leaving without a definite plan/destination. So I can't wait to see how this plays out!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:02 am

Keep it going PB your stuff is very good.
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:49 am

“Here I go again on my own,
Heading down the only road I’ve ever known,
Like a drifter I was born to walk alone,
And I’ve made up my mind…”

from Here I go Again by Whitesnake

Morning came early for lack of sleep for most of them, and as the group began to slowly gather in the parking area, stepping on slushy snow that would not impede their departure, the mood was one of silence and dread. They did allow Michelle to sleep for another hour, as she did not seem to have any trouble nodding off on her own. Her youth left her ill equipped to understand the potentially tragic consequences of leaving this place, and for that, many of the adults were envious.

Winter was over, but that didn’t mean an end to cold mornings. It was chilly outside, too warm for a coat and probably too cold to walk around without one, and Ryan chose the latter. He buckled on his gun belt and holstered his .357 Highway Patrolman, fearing that it might need to be drawn before long. He could see his breath in the morning air, but at least it reminded him that he was still breathing. The camp had played itself out, but death lay beyond that gate, and this could easily be the day it found him. He had never really been out on the road for long after leaving the station the previous year. Between the station and Aaron’s cabin was only one night one the road, at a hotel at the Royal Gorge Bridge, with a running shower (if a cold one) and safety on the upper level. After leaving Aaron’s cabin, they had met Ike’s group and made it to their camp on the same day. Life on the road in this world was beyond Ryan’s experience, and he dreaded having to meet the same challenges that Ike had been forced to meet the previous summer.

Everyone finished packing what little was left while Ryan walked around slowly, taking in every sight and sound, every smell and step. He was going to miss this place. In coming here, they had truly done the impossible: they had stayed alive longer than perhaps anyone else on earth. Not everyone made it through the winter, but most did, and here they were, still alive, still fighting for every breath.

Daphne came up and brought Ryan back to the here and now.

“Hey, you still with us?”

“Yeah, just taking a long last look, you know? It was a bitch of a time, but man, we sure had our share of decent memories here, didn’t we?”

“Fucking-A, Ryan. That was a whole fuck-lot of wild monkey sex in this place, huh?”

“Not just that, Daphne…though I must admit that it was my favorite part of all this.”

“I know what you meant. So, you ready for this? For going back out there?”

“Of course I’m not.”

“Good, that means you aren’t bullshitting me. I just wish we had an actual plan.”

“We couldn’t have one of those without information, and we had way to get any. It doesn’t matter what the hell we do, we’re running around blind regardless. All we knew is that we didn’t want to go back through Salida and we sure as hell didn’t want to go up towards Grand Junction. That leaves south into Silverton, and from there, who knows? I’m a big believer in planning myself, but without information, what can we do?”

“Okay Ryan, but what happens when we get to Silverton?”

“We take what’s still there and see if we can hole up there for a while. If we can’t, we stay on the move until we find a place where we can. We might head down into New Mexico. But there’s a town near the Four Corners area called Farmington, and it’s pretty big, and I don’t want to go in there. We can stay on US 550 for a while and only pass through the smaller towns. We keep going until we don’t have to anymore. You understand what I mean?”

“Yeah. It means this is going to suck ass.”

“That’s about the size of it.”

After Daphne forced him back on the reality train, Ryan went around, trying to act like being in charge still meant something, asking everyone if they had their own part of this tale under control, and generally trying to be encouraging, even though he was increasingly sure in the absence of better information that they were all heading towards something terribly unpleasant. He wanted to stay more than ever, but again, he didn’t know how long it would take to find food on the go. He was trapped, forced to head out even when something within him screamed that even something as terrible as starving would at least not result in returning to unlife as a cannibalistic monster.

Ike came up after a while, saying, “Ryan, we’re good to go. We’ve got it all packed up. We’re leaving when you say.”

“You ready for this Ike? After what happened to your group last summer, are you really ready for this?”

“I won’t be any more ready if we hide in here for another week, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“I don’t know what I’m asking, Ike. I’m just…I don’t know. During the winter, this day seemed so far off, you know? It’s hard to believe that it’s here. I just can’t believe that we’re going out there on the road. It’s a hell of a thing to have in front of us.”

“Well Ryan, let’s just get it over with, huh?”

“Yeah, let’s get gone.” Ryan clapped his hands a couple of times to get everyone’s attention. “Listen up, everyone. It’s time. We’re leaving. I’ll be taking my truck in the lead, Daphne rides with me. Aaron is pulling up the rear and Kristin’s riding with him. Ike? You okay riding by with the Doc?” Ike nodded. “Okay, you stay behind me. Boyd, you drive, Tara rides shotgun with you. Manny, Yolanda, you take Michelle. Keep pace, stop when I stop. We’re keeping our speed around forty when we go. No need to gun it. We don’t travel all day. We’ll be stopping early afternoon, getting something to eat, and resting. We need to conserve our energy. Let’s…let’s go ahead and go.”

Ryan climbed into the truck as Daphne got in the passenger side. He cranked the engine, and began to rumble towards the gate. He got out and threw it open, expecting that no one would ever close it again. He was wrong. As their new convoy headed out onto the gravel road, pushing aside the slush with their tires, a voice cracked over the walkie-talkie.

“Ryan, stop for a second.” It was Aaron.

“What for?”

“Just stop.” Aaron got out and walked back to the gate, closing it and pulling the chain tight. He then got back in and the convoy resumed the short trip to Highway 50.

Ryan got on the radio and asked, “What was that all about, Aaron?”

“Remember when I locked my house when we left last September?”

“Of course I do.”

“Same thing.”
Last edited by Ponyboy314 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozwyn

Post by ozwyn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks for the updates!

Coffee and stories is a great way to start the day :)

More please when you get a chance!
CLEAR CUT wrote:I eat hot food because I dig pain and it's far cheaper than paying a dominatrix to kick me in the balls repeatedly.
Necrodamus wrote:Dont put yourself in a situation that is going to put you in a situation.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:14 pm

On the road again
just can´t wait to get on the road again
the life i love, is making music with my friends
and i can´t wait to get on the road again.....

just can´t wait to get MOAR again... :mrgreen:

Wrecking Ball

Post by Wrecking Ball » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 pm

I just love the nostalgia Aaron must have felt when closing the gate ^_^

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

“Why does my heart go on beating,
Why do these eyes of mine cry,
Don't they know it's the end of the world,
It ended when you said goodbye…”

from End of the World by Skeeter Davis

As Ryan reached Highway 50, he slowed and looked northwest towards Delta before heading the opposite direction. Daphne took that time to say, “You did it again, Ryan.”

“Did what?”

“You looked to see if any traffic was coming, just like you did when we left Aaron’s place. Old habits die hard, they say.”

“I wasn’t looking for traffic. I was taking a last look at where Sean and Nicole were left. I feel like shit that they don’t get to come with us.”

He kept it slow-going as they passed the construction site, now almost devoid of any useful materials, as the fence had only been a reality because of this place. The sun rose as the minutes passed, its light shining through the branches of the trees, almost giving Ryan a fool’s optimism, and he was well aware that it was the thinking of a fool, but he indulged himself regardless. It was a beautiful morning as spring had finally replaced winter and the snow splattered to the sides as their tires cut right through. The light coming through the trees almost reminded Ryan of the scenes of Lothlorien in Lord of the Rings, and it was enough to even make him hum a tune, one with which Daphne had become all-too familiar.

Of course, it was Beyond the Sea by Bobby Darin, who had died years before either of them had been born thus missing the world that now was. She began humming it with him, and afterwards, she did not question this rather strange action. Ryan had his quirks, as did she. The surrounding countryside was still blanketed in white, but the ground underneath showed itself through where the snow had melted, and the sun continued to rise in a cloudless sky. Indeed, winter was over. Ryan knew, but did not say, that some miles behind them, the dead, hundreds of them at least, were stumbling around Delta, waiting for a victim to cross their path. However, there were none out here. They passed the charred ruin that had once been Montrose in short order. The convoy moved along at a steady pace, and so far, there did not appear to be any problems. They had siphoned what gas they could and gassed up the cars they were taking, and Ryan even had two full gas cans, but the problems would begin in earnest if they didn’t run across some more before long.

“Well, we’re south of Montrose. I guess we’ve picked our route and we’re sticking to it,” Ryan said, matter-of-factly.

“How soon do you think we can make Silverton?”

“I don’t know. There’s Ouray between here and there. Who knows what we’re going to find there?”

“Well Ryan, either it’s burned to a crisp or full of stumbling stiffs. Which would you prefer?”

It was about forty or so miles to Ouray after passing the ruin of Montrose, during which time Ryan and Daphne spoke little, instead filling the miles by looking out the window and trying to see what beauty still existed in the world, wherever the hands of the dead had not defiled it. However, lingering in the back of their minds was the fact that Ouray lay between them and whatever they would find in Silverton.

Ouray was a sleepy mountain town whose population had never reached nine hundred. Clearly that was several times more than they could handle, especially considering that most of them were not fighters, but there was always the possibility that the population had heard the false rumors about Grand Junction being safe and had fled there en masse. Ryan did allow himself another fool’s hope about that, that perhaps it was a ghost town as Gunnison had been and whatever was left was ripe for the taking, including the safety of some of the buildings. He didn’t really believe it, but if there was even a tiny possibility, he would hang onto it until he saw differently.

The caravan reached the outskirts of Ouray after driving the twisting road that led there through the mountain, and indeed, Ryan saw differently. What he saw was so beyond his expectations that he stopped and got out, having to pack his pipe with shaking hands as his mind took in the apocalyptic sight.

To be fair, perhaps the scene was not necessarily one that had to be indicative of the end of times. Such things had happened from time to time when the world still had a beating heart. But now that humanity and civilization had fallen, this scene was perfectly in keeping with the sad truth that their species had entered its twilight, regardless of how many times this sort of thing had happened before.

A few hundred yards in front of them, as Ryan puffed on his pipe with quivering lips and chattering teeth, was something he had seen many times before, especially when he was in the navy. It was a C-130 Hercules transport aircraft, which had crash landed on the narrow highway leading into town, as though the pilot had been consciously searching for the most effective way to seal off the town from ground access. Pieces of the wings and engines were scattered in the trees on both side and the fuselage, now in two parts, had skidded right into the northern entrance to town, blocking off any chance of driving through. The wreckage, still covered here and there with snow, had plowed through numerous cars, obliterating them on impact, and the drivers had been so thoroughly crushed that that there was probably not a single intact part of their bodies. Some number of survivors had been trying to flee Ouray, or had already passed through it, only to die terribly from a twisted combination of terrible luck and the insanity that had infected the world about a year earlier. All that remained in the smashed cars were shattered bones, memorials to just how many terrible ways to die there had been, even as the living dead had been at the center of the madness.

Daphne shook also, as even when she saw the hell of Pueblo, which had prompted her to track down and join up with Ryan to begin with, she had seen nothing that equaled the scene of this sleepy little mountain burg. She had spent the first stages of the fall of their country in a jail cell, and had been spared the horror as it all fell apart. Those poor people, both aboard that aircraft and crushed beneath it, had been consumed by that same horror. It was all a stinging reminder that while Ryan had been sniping them from the roof of the station, while Daphne had still been Duckie who had dedicated herself to annoying Ryan, while they spent their summer in a two-story cabin and their winter in a scenic campground, the world had died. Those who now stood on south 550 gawking at the destruction did have it easy, as they were alive and had spent months in relative safety, arguing over petty matters. The rest of the world had suffered terribly while they had run for the hills.

All the beautiful trees, mountains, and cloudless skies could not change the ugly truth of the fall of man.

Michelle seemed less horrified by the scene, asking in youthful innocence, “What happened here?”

Ryan snapped back to reality and said, “For God’s sake, get her back in the car! She doesn’t need to see this! What the hell are you thinking?”

Ike said, without a trace of emotion, “This is was blocked. What are we going to do?”

Ryan said, with a quivering voice, “There was a turnoff a few miles back to a smaller road. It leads either through or near Telluride. That’s our way south.”

“Telluride…isn’t there a ski resort in that place?” Boyd asked.

“Yeah, but that’s where we’re going. Come on. Staring at this all day won’t change what happened. Let’s get the hell away from this goddamned place.”

Daphne spoke for everyone as she surveyed the scene and said, “Poor bastards.”

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:01 pm

yeah! thx for the update! :D

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:50 pm

I'd probably try to head west out to Paradox valley, and stay put. I know the water's not exactly great out there, but you've got to love the name. :lol:

I doubt there'd be many zombies out in Paradox or Bedrock. :lol:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:51 pm

“Follow me, everything is alright,
I'll be the one to tuck you in at night…”

from Follow Me by Uncle Kracker

Ryan had everyone turn around, and they headed north for a new miles before turning off on a paved country road that led either to or through Telluride, Ryan still not being certain which. What he had felt after turning onto US 50, that surge of optimism as he took in the natural wonder of the world, had indeed been a fool’s hope. Even when the dead themselves were not around, they always had ways to mark their influence. There were worse things in the world than the moans of the living dead, and one of those was the dead, period.

Their optimism was gone. Their hope was now hanging by a pubic hair, and all it took was a single plane wreckage to cause that.

What would they find in Telluride? Ryan’s guess? Nothing good. But if the road was clear, they could perhaps bypass Ouray and still make it to Silverton by probably the next day. It was still morning, and once it got to be around one or two in the afternoon, they would stop and recover their strength.

Telluride was not far from the highway, and the road there was littered with abandoned cars, some of which still showed their drivers, almost skeletonized, behind the wheel. Some were burned out and others were smashed into each other, or into trees or road signs. This was not particularly rattling, as Ryan had seen this plenty of times, but all the wrecks seemed to be in the oncoming lane, showing him (and he didn’t need to be a cop to figure this out) that everyone on this road had been trying to get away from Telluride. That town had certainly been hit, either by the walking dead or the desperate living, and as Ryan increasingly suspected that their little road would form the main street of the town, getting through might be a challenge, with more than just wrecked cars in their way.

As she had already done more than once that morning, Daphne checked her Browning Hi-Power, making sure she was ready for a fight if it came to it.

“Ryan, have you ever been to Telluride?”

“Never once. I don’t ski and I hate film festivals. Hollywood pussies descending on a tiny town and fucking it all up, acting like they’re all a bunch of petty fucking kings, nope, never been through it.”

“I’m just wondering what kind of place we’re going to find, and how fucked up it’s going to be.”

“Well, if this day is going to have a recurring trend, my guess would be, ‘very.’”

They did reach Telluride, and the sign read, “Welcome to…” but someone had nailed or bolted a piece of plywood over “Telluride,” and on that they had spray-painted, “Hell, Motherfuckers!”

Ryan remarked, “You know, this is literally not a good sign.”

Daphne replied, “So let’s get through it and leave it behind us. I don’t like it already.”

Daphne’s reasoning was sound. Telluride was situated in a box canyon, leaving only one good-sized road leading in or out, at least that they could tell. The town itself was a quaint mountain burg, and Ryan thought that it was what South Park would probably look like in reality. As their convoy slowly navigated the road, both sides were lined with tourist shops, quaint coffee shops that appealed to the Ben Afflecks and Colin Farrells of the world, and ski rental places. The town itself had clearly been hit by something, indicated by the shattered windows and burned-out cars. Bodies, some still semi-covered in snow, were everywhere. Some were in the streets, others were on the sidewalk, and Ryan even saw one halfway out of a window on the upper level of some kind of old west-style museum. Although it wasn’t much compared to Salida, the end-all be-all of towns that had been wiped off the map, it certainly did look like hell, mother fucker

Of course, some of the dead were moving. There were not many, but they were out there, shuffling towards their convoy with arms reaching for flesh. None were near the cars, but they would be soon if Ryan slowed everyone down too much. The streets were not as bad as they might have been, so he picked up the pace and prayed that everyone would keep up. It had been a while since he had needed to travel though a place like this, and never with so many people. Ryan tried not to think about what it would have been like if he had tried to get through Salida with several cars instead of just his truck, but of course, the thought preyed on him.

He got on the walkie-talkie. “Aaron, is everything okay back there?”

“If you don’t count the fact that there are a few dozen fucking dead guys heading towards us, I can see Yolanda freaking the fuck out in the car ahead of me, and I’m probably about to shit my pants, yeah, everything back here is coming up fucking roses!”

“Well, just stay loose and we’ll get through this! Just radio me if anyone starts falling out, okay?”

“I’ll try to remember that if a pair of bloody handprints shows itself on my window!”

Ryan had passed close to a dead body lying in the road as he rounded a garbage truck on its side, and as he got close, it rolled over and tried to reach for his truck. He almost yelped and Daphne almost took the safety off of her Browning. He increased his speed a little and again, hoped that everyone behind him would have the presence of mind to do the same.

“Ryan, can you hear me?” Aaron yelled from the walkie-talkie.

“Loud and fucking clear, Aaron! What’s up?”

“Did you pass a dead guy on your left a few second ago?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Because Manny ran over the fucking thing’s head with his tire and little bits of the bastard are all over my windshield, that’s why!”

“Can you still see?”

“Yeah, it’s like looking at the world through brain-colored glasses!”

“Just keep going, Aaron! We need to get through this shit!”

“Ryan, are you telling me this because you think I don’t know?”

“Just move, Aaron!”

Although Ryan would not think of it for a while afterwards, he did eventually believe that Telluride should have been named, “Hell-of-a-ride.” Such was as close as he could get to humor after this nightmare of a town.
Last edited by Ponyboy314 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Funny thing is, the popular story is that Telluride is a contracted form of "to hell you ride," so it's still fairly appropriate. :wink:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Ponyboy314

Post by Ponyboy314 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:31 pm

“But I’ll throw you one better,
If you’ve got the nerve,
Let’s race all the way,
To dead man’s curve…”

from Dead Man’s Curve by Jan and Dean

They had gone far enough that the other end of Telluride appeared to be in sight. Ryan did not increase his speed, as there were enough obstructions in the road to make that an act of utter foolishness. He weaved in and out of the wreckage and the dead, and some were now close enough to slap their bony hands on his window, and one did, quite audibly.

“Fuck me!” he yelled.

“Ryan, peddle this thing faster!” Daphne screamed at him.

“You want to wreck in this fucking place?”

“Fuck no!”

“Then this is as fast as we go!” Ryan keyed the walkie-talkie again, now being terrified that his truck might be the only one to even make it out of this town. “Aaron, give me a sit-rep!”

The answer came back, “What the hell is a sit-rep?”

“Tell me what the fuck is going on back there!”

“I’m playing caboose, and we’re all following you! What the hell do you think is happening back here? Kristin’s praying to some god I’ve never heard of, Yolanda’s going spastic ahead of me, and I’m sporting a mean hard-on! Is that what you want to know?”

“Just tell me if anything gets fucked up back there!”

“You mean more fucked up than it already is?”

“Yes, more fucked up than it already is!”

“Sorry Ryan, if you’d like to make a call, please hang up and try again! The line is busy, for an additional thirty-five cents, you can stay on the line and…oh fuck it. Get us out of this place!”

“Fucking working on it, smart ass!”

A few minutes later, they had gotten clear of the town proper, but not of the hell. Just outside of the town limits, several cars had smashed into each other, and months of snow hadn’t even washed all the dried blood from the vehicles, which included a tow truck and a van from the Telluride Public Works Department. The entire lane was blocked off, but the oncoming lane still had enough room, if one did not count the half-dozen rotting cannibals stumbling around there, which turned and headed towards Ryan’s truck with murderous determination.

“Oh fuck me…” Daphne uttered.

“You can count on that if we get out of this, now hold on!”

Ryan had to slow down to avoid slamming too hard into the walking corpses and disabling his truck, which would have been a sentence of death for everyone, and not the weak, legal way involving needles from before. Ryan was in front, and if his truck was lost, they all were. Leading from the front had its disadvantages.

The sound of hands and bodies against his truck reminded Ryan of what it sounded like inside a car wash.

Ryan had gotten through, while Daphne, with one hand over her eyes and another on her 9mm, was strangely singing “Beyond the Sea.” But as the last corpse lost its grip on Ryan’s rearview mirror, he could only hope that those behind him would be able to follow. He slowed down, allowing time for the others to catch up, and when Ike’s car reached his, Ryan began to have hope that they could all put the scared pit of a dead ski town behind them and start looking forward to the next nightmare.

Once again, it was a fool’s hope. Ryan was making a habit of that.

Aaron almost screamed into his walkie-talkie, “Ryan! Ryan come in! Oh my fucking God! It’s Boyd and Tara! I think they blew a tire or something! They’ve wiped out! They bounced around and right into those mother fuckers!”

“What?”

“Boyd and Tara, man! They’re wiped out! Their car isn’t moving!”

Ryan drove another thirty yards and slammed on the brakes. “Daphne, did you hear that?”

“Fuck yeah I did!”

“We’ve got to help them, we’ve got to get them out of there! Come on! You’re with me on this, right?”

“No shit, Sherlock!”

Ryan took up his M16A2 and Remington 870 shotgun, almost flying out the driver’s side door while Daphne, shaking and making no attempt to hide it, similarly flew out with her CAR-15 in her hands. The expression on her face told Ryan that she wished she was doing anything other than this. Ryan couldn’t have agreed more.

“I hope you’re as good with that thing as you say you are!” Ryan yelled.

“So do I!”

Return to “Fiction”