Life after Death: A Story of Survival 12/20/2011 UPDATE

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thtdriftkid

Re: Life after Death: A Story of Survival 12/8/10 UPDATE

Post by thtdriftkid » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:18 pm

just read the whole story. moar plox? seriously good read. hope this can be put into a book form...or some kind of PDF, to make it into one nice long readable story without interupptions from assholes like me begging for moar. :)

in for pics of sarah.
ZSC:044 membeR

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 pm

thtdriftkid wrote:just read the whole story. moar plox? seriously good read. hope this can be put into a book form...or some kind of PDF, to make it into one nice long readable story without interupptions from assholes like me begging for moar. :)

in for pics of sarah.
He's working on his next part of the update, then it's back to me.

I promise we haven't abandoned this, but I'm entering my final 16 weeks of school (hopefully) and I have a massive senior project to contend with.

Updates are gonna be slow, but they WILL happen.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Hey fellas, first Happy New Year to you all! Second, just wanted to say I'm new here and this is only the third story I've read so far in the Art sub forum. Great story, I've subscribed to this thread and like all the others, will be anxiously awaiting updates!
I think the idea of pics and Google Maps links is a good one. It'll definitely help with how we envision the story in our heads.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:35 pm

NaturalMystic wrote:Hey fellas, first Happy New Year to you all! Second, just wanted to say I'm new here and this is only the third story I've read so far in the Art sub forum. Great story, I've subscribed to this thread and like all the others, will be anxiously awaiting updates!
I think the idea of pics and Google Maps links is a good one. It'll definitely help with how we envision the story in our heads.
You should read Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years, anything by poneyboy(some numbers I can't remember) and 7 bullets if you can. There's a lot of good reads in there.

NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Bearcat wrote:
NaturalMystic wrote:Hey fellas, first Happy New Year to you all! Second, just wanted to say I'm new here and this is only the third story I've read so far in the Art sub forum. Great story, I've subscribed to this thread and like all the others, will be anxiously awaiting updates!
You should read Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years, anything by poneyboy(some numbers I can't remember) and 7 bullets if you can. There's a lot of good reads in there.
Cool, thanks for the heads up! I was just about to start MJOZY. That one should keep me busy for a while with over 331 pages! I'll look out for the others you mentioned also. The other two threads I've been following are "Last Man Standing" by Doorman and "The Other Side of the Apocalypse" by WildWest (which he hasn't updated since Nov 24th!).

Lots of talent here I must say! I also recently bought "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" but have been having a hard time getting into it.

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Ack! It's been over a month and I haven't been on ZS or seen hide nor hair of Shoe Daddy at all in that time.

Rest assured that even though this is a longer than normal hiatus for us, we don't plan on ending this yet. Just bear with us as we try to work out a schedule to update on. It's a bit hard with me ending school soon and Shoe working ridiculous hours.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:14 pm

So another month has gone by...

cowboyfromhel86

Post by cowboyfromhel86 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Moar!!!! :twisted:

pleaseeee
CitizenZ wrote:After seeing what she did with a spoon, I can only imagine what she could do with that machete.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Glocks never killed no Nazis. :D
AR15: Pray (it works) and spray
AK47: Spray and pray(you hit something)
Mosin-Nagant: The hammer of God

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:32 pm

Im a slacker. New section is 50% done. Hell it might even be up next month! :mrgreen:
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

cowboyfromhel86

Post by cowboyfromhel86 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:55 am

False Alarm every body back to work! .... :evil:

:mrgreen:
CitizenZ wrote:After seeing what she did with a spoon, I can only imagine what she could do with that machete.
Cpt. MelonBuster wrote: Glocks never killed no Nazis. :D
AR15: Pray (it works) and spray
AK47: Spray and pray(you hit something)
Mosin-Nagant: The hammer of God

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Post by walterde » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Dam!!!!! I lose my job, quit college and make a career change. I expected to come back and find my favorite stories mostly completed. What do I find 1 update, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the down and dirty but I sure expected to find 4-5 updates. In case I haven't said it before, great job so far, but come on and update already. I'll check back tomorrow night when I get stopped for the day.
I gotta go to class.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Story go bye-bye? :(
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Tperkins wrote:Story go bye-bye? :(
I think a zombie might have ate it! :(

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:14 pm

Shit. I forgot about the forum crash wiping the most recent update. Let me get back home and I will repost it.

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

Tperkins

Post by Tperkins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Shoe Daddy wrote:Shit. I forgot about the forum crash wiping the most recent update. Let me get back home and I will repost it.
:lol: I didnt even know you updated it before.

Im pissed I lost my whole big FAK bag topic in the crash. I cant find a way to recover it; wayback machine was no help.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Shoe Daddy

Post by Shoe Daddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Here is the update from last month as promised.

Part 2:

The small horde had been butchered when my rescue showed up and now we dispatched the crawling survivors with the .22’s I had kept stockpiled before the zombie invasion. The best part about the .22’s was the simple fact that they were quiet; they would still ring your ears on occasion, but it was nothing compared to a .308 or .50 going off. And it was plentiful. My goal eventually was to outfit everyone with some type of suppressed .22 pistol for exactly this purpose. We worked quickly, but were efficient in stripping everything down we could use. Vehicles were stripped for parts and tires, fuel was siphoned out, both HMMWV’s were almost stripped to the frame since the doors were armored and could easily be outfitted to ours. The abandoned tractor I had seen earlier was actually a backhoe and used to dig a shallow, mass grave for the dead.

The entire job lasted well into the night, to the point we had the rest of the crew, save two for house guard duty, come out with a generator and portable work lamps. This helped us work faster, but now we had to watch for the zombies the tractor and generator noise were drawing. The three roving guards, Art, Edd, and Sarah, used several of my .22 rifles from the house loaded with cheap hollow-point ammo to keep the crowd under control. The rest of us opted for carrying pistols since our rifles just got in the way. I took the unpleasant task of body collection and with help from Bryan and soon we had all of the bodies piled into the grave, stripped of their useful valuables, I set about covering them with topsoil. Our HMMWV was completely full, as well as the F-150’s bed, leaving us with a problem of how to get our generator, work lights, and seven people to haul back 4 miles. After a quick pow-wow, Sarah came up with the idea of having me drive the backhoe back to the farm and hook-up to one of the flatbed wagons we use for hauling hay and that would solve the problem of room for our goods and free up space in the trucks for everyone to ride back in.

With everyone accounted for and the wagon backed into the garage for the night, we began to head off to bed when Bryan whistled for our attention and clasped his hands behind his back as we turned; “I know all of you are getting cold at night since the temperature is dropping lower and lower, and we haven’t had a truly hot meal in weeks, plus all of us could probably stand to have a hot shower and fresh clothing, I present you with a present---electricity” as he flipped the light switch for the kitchen, bathing us with artificial light for the first time in months. Most of us shielded our eyes from the harsh light even though we were ecstatic. Shouts of joy, disbelief, and happiness rang out from everyone as we could see each other clearly after dark for the first time. During his free time, Bryan had taken to unplugging all of the non-vital appliances like the fridge and deep freeze, as well as the microwave, can opener, blender, and toaster to keep from drawing the generator we “borrowed” from campus too hard and therefore extend fuel life. Add to the fact that we have much more propane than any other fuel; we could literally run that small tractor generator for as much as a year or more if we used it wisely. We now had a working range and stove, hot water heater, water pump for the deep well, and a washer and dryer for our clothes. I did manage to win an argument with Bryan on two more appliances that needed to be added; first was my small Atomic Alarm Clock set to the Atomic Clock in Colorado and my Bunn coffee maker which thanks to our supply runs, we now had ample pre-ground coffee for.

After several hours, most of us had taken a quick, hot shower (easily the most incredible feeling I had ever experienced) washed multiple loads of clothes, and enjoyed a piping hot meal of spaghetti. Sarah boiled the noodles, while I heated up the canned sauce in a large pan and added some extra parsley and oregano to give it some body. Our last loaf of not-quite stale bread was thrown on a baking sheet and covered in butter flavored spray and garlic powder and turned into some bastardized from of garlic bread. We all took our places at the dining room table and said a prayer for others surviving out there and for Bryan, who’s know-how had allowed us to feel like normal humans again. As I said “Amen”, my Atomic clock chirped telling me it was synced to standard time and date. I excused myself from the table even though I was starving and the food smelled delicious. Peeking around the corner I saw the time was 3:06 A.M. and the date stopped me in my tracks; it was December 25th. Don’t ask me how we accomplished skipping a month somewhere in our record keeping, but it was December 25th according to the world. Later on after the meal was finished and stored outside in the now freezing temperatures, we sat around the fireplace as the blower on the insert and space heaters pushed out hot air. With this new revelation of the fact that it was Christmas we began to tell stories of Christmas’s past and of families absent. After more than one sob story, I pulled myself off the couch and swiped the last two bottles of liquor from the cabinet, along with glasses for everyone. If you didn’t like whiskey or vodka then you were tough out of luck that night as we drank our cares away and celebrated the only way we knew how to.

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Post by walterde » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:54 am

Great update, thanks for reposting. So uhhhhhh, not to be pushy or anything but when can we expect the next update? Hmm, missing something here, oh yea has the wedding happened yet know one of u to got engaged. Just don't let married life get in the way of story time. Well I think the lumpers are done unloading me so I'm gonna hit the road again. I'll check back soon for an update or update to when we can expect an update.
I gotta go to class.

akraven

Re: Life after Death: A Story of Survival 6/19/2011 UPDATE

Post by akraven » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:40 am

Great story. Hope you have time to continue it!

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks guys. Still a great story.

grumpydaysleeper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil

Post by grumpydaysleeper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:49 am

This is an incredible story! I hope you will continue on with this but if you don't...Thank You for taking the time to write for us!

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Gah, sorry guys, busy trying to get into this new job and I've not gotten much time to do anything on the weekends. New guns, getting ready to move out, getting used to the new work schedule, and chores are getting into valuable writing time. That and I'm experiencing mild writers block.

Please stay tuned, there WILL be an update by the end of the month from me. I'll see about working on it this weekend.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Shoe Daddy

Re: Life after Death: A Story of Survival 10/21/2011 UPDATE

Post by Shoe Daddy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 am

Since we finally had heat in one room of the house, I decided that it would be best for everyone to sleep in the main room next to the fireplace. The couch was moved to make more room for mattresses and sleeping bags, while the recliner was claimed by Art claiming that his “old bones can’t take anymore hard floors”. Sarah and I headed off to our bedroom to sleep since the main part of the house was packed and moreover due to the fact that I snore, loudly. I often wondered if I had sleep apnea well before this bullshit with the zombies started, perhaps our friend Jeff could tell me more. I tossed and turned for 45 fitful minutes until I said fuck it and crawled out of bed allowing Sarah to sleep. Since it was only 4:30 A.M. and working daylight was still several hours away I started on an updated inventory list of our weapons and ammunition since without those we wouldn’t last the next fight.

The basement became our more permanent storage area to keep the main floor free of clutter and to allow everyone room to sit or lay down. Fully clothed and sipping on a bottle of green tea, I quietly made my way down the steps and lit three of the lanterns on the floor. The gentle glow from the candlelight cast long shadows over the makeshift 2x4 gun racks and stacks of ammunition. Around 7:30 A.M., Bryan came down and we chatted about work that needed to be done today. Today was still Christmas after all and other than essential chores such as breaking ice for the cattle to drink and feeding them, everyone would have the day off, minus the guard who would walk an hourly circuit around the property. My stomach began to rumble, so I headed back upstairs and began the much faster process of making breakfast which had become instant oatmeal or cereal and almond or powdered milk since regular milk was out of the question. Bryan helped, setting out bowls and plastic silverware along with cups of hot coffee from my Bunn (easily the most valuable thing in the house now). Oatmeal with imitation maple flavor was on the menu today, along with raisin bran that was extremely close to its expiration. Everyone was woken after 5 hours of sleep and offered coffee upon opening their eyes to aid in getting rid of the possible hangover some surely had. Aspirin, Tylenol, and others like it were issued only when you had a legitimate ache or pain and Sam watched our stock like a hawk; although he didn’t know it, I had hidden away several bottles of Ibuprofen in my room for my occasional arthritis in my hand and knee and was quick to offer some to Art learning he suffered from joint pain as well.

Alex and Amy were obviously in the worst shape of the group (someone hogged most of the vodka) and proceeded to get the pair hammered just to see if the budding lovebirds could come out of their shells long enough for each other. Sarah’s matchmaker plan semi-worked and the couple had fallen asleep cuddling tightly, but woke up with splitting headaches and nausea. Almost no one in our group could hold alcohol anymore and many were drunk after only a few shots, Alex and Emily disappointed me since I figured two college kids should be able to drink their body weight in booze. Our meal was eaten with gusto, trash collected for burning, and almost as if on cue they turned and looked to me for daily work orders and the look of shock on their face was priceless when I told them to take the day off. Bryan volunteered to be our roving guard and Alex, Amy, and Sarah offered to finish my inventory lists I had started and set off downstairs. Karen volunteered to do the dishes and all of the remaining laundry much to my surprise, as well as can the remaining pasta sauce from last night for storage again. Sam set off to organize the medical supplies in a more uniform way while Art and Edd worked on setting up a single stage reloading press downstairs.

The press was hidden away in a box marked “household goods” taken from the ROTC building, I have to admire that person’s thinking. Finding the correct dies, components, and powder could be a problem, but for now it gave everyone something to work on. This worked in my favor so that I could finish crafting my Christmas present for the Militia. I sat down at the dining room table with a road map, spiral bound notebook, pencil, and an old stack of pictures I had found; the pictures showed the bridge the Militia HAD to cross to gain access to our side of the river in its early days of construction and soon after it was finished. The bridge was going to be a cast-iron bitch. Trussel/Suspension type with supports sunk into the riverbanks. Great design for the heavy two-lane traffic the road dealt with on a daily basis, but a total bitch to try and take down. And I was going to bring it down soon.

Another short update while I work on fleshing out the main part of the battle. Enjoy!

Nancy1340

Post by Nancy1340 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks SD. Good to see a new chapter here from you.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 pm

I love the sudden Christmas, very heart warming. Since it will freeze soon, and the team has electricity, etc., just spray that bridge with water until it is an unpassable block of ice. That will slow the militia down!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Return to “Fiction”