Life after Death: A Story of Survival 12/20/2011 UPDATE

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Re: Life after Death: A Story of Survival

Post by walterde » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:26 am

I am wondering about the ammo situation. I'm to lazy to go look it up but unless I am missing something shouldn't there still be a shit load of ammo back in I believe it was the funnies house where the m1 came from. Maybe not an endless supply of course but if I'm remembering right there should have been enough to nicely augment there current supply. I know it was supposed to be saved as an emergency stash but if the dragons and molitia attack and the group runs out of ammo what the he'll good was keeping it held back as an emergency stash. Anyways just my wonderings and thanks for the update and like always a great read. Now if we could get certain others outstanding writers to update their zombie diary stories all would be write with the world. Ome more question though. Is it me or do the frequency of updates to the better stories such as this one seem to be slowing down (not picking on you guys)?
I gotta go to class.

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Lol. You jumped the gun on us. It's still there and will be included in the next update along with a completely updated inventory of weapons and ammo. Thanks for reading man!
I am 1911, Cake, Mosin-Nagant, AK/AR neutral

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Shoe Daddy wrote:Lol. You jumped the gun on us. It's still there and will be included in the next update along with a completely updated inventory of weapons and ammo. Thanks for reading man!
Well, first we have a few surprises left to spring, then we'll be raiding old caches for supplies. ;)
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

TX_Sportsman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, I am Legend

Post by TX_Sportsman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks for the updates guys. Awesome story. Looking forward to.......MOAR
Water Hillbilly Esq.
Team Green Wire
AR/870/Glock/Pie

Thorgrimr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later, 28 Weeks later, Resident Evil (all three), not sure I've seen a Zombie movie I didn't like. That has changed, Gangs of the Dead was...ACK

Post by Thorgrimr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:56 am

WOOOHOOO...finally got caught up and ready for........need I say it?

Great story, have really enjoyed it so far...thanks for the effort!
Thorgrimr

-Sometimes good people must do bad things to bad people so bad people don't do bad things to good people-

thebigstick

Post by thebigstick » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:29 pm

great another story to follow. :lol: but seriously the moar zombies need moar. -TBS
Visit the new Southern California Zombie Squad chapter ZS:44
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=134

Thorgrimr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the dead, 28 days later, 28 Weeks later, Resident Evil (all three), not sure I've seen a Zombie movie I didn't like. That has changed, Gangs of the Dead was...ACK

Post by Thorgrimr » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm

So is there a projected day or date for the next installment of MOAR?
Thorgrimr

-Sometimes good people must do bad things to bad people so bad people don't do bad things to good people-

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Thorgrimr wrote:So is there a projected day or date for the next installment of MOAR?
Pushing for this week friday, first I have finals to do, and then I can work on story between work shifts.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Sorry guys, work is taking priority.

I'm either getting fired, or one of the other two twits on the regular night shifts is getting fired. Someone screwed up BAD and I'm one of the "suspects." Not really at liberty to discuss what or how, but all I'll say is that someone pissed of a customer to just within the point of lawsuit, and it sure as hell wasn't me.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Oof. I hope this turns out okay for you.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Shoe Daddy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Land of the Dead, 28 Days and 28 Weeks later, etc.

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:20 am

I'm not ignoring you phoenix, been working 12 and 13 hour shifts. Didn't think you would appreciate a call at 3 am either. I'll get ahold of you sometime this weekend.

Read my ZPAW story, Life after Death here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 28&t=38181

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:46 am

Shoe Daddy wrote:I'm not ignoring you phoenix, been working 12 and 13 hour shifts. Didn't think you would appreciate a call at 3 am either. I'll get ahold of you sometime this weekend.
I figured it was something like that, at least gimme a call and leave a message though. :)
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:29 am

Update: I'm not getting fired, but I've just made an "enemy" of one of the bosses here, so I gotta watch it now. Story will be updated sometime either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:28 am

all I'll say is that someone pissed of a customer to just within the point of lawsuit, and it sure as hell wasn't me.
Of course it was you! :x I sued your company for not giving you enough time to work on the story! :twisted:

That´ll teach ´em! :mrgreen:

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:33 pm

Story will be up sometime this week, most likely Wednesday.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Gun Rock

Post by Gun Rock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 am

IT’S WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
The only thing X about a Marine is his wife!!
Braxton wrote:And please know that even though you took it apart while drunk, and used a nail to fix it. You still did better than Taurus customer service would have.

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:33 pm

As promised, story time!

As we set out north, we both noticed the complete lack of wildlife that we were accustomed to. Even the birds and insects disappeared or were hiding from the undead. It was eerie, after spending a majority of my spare time to learning about animals, their habits, and their behaviors, I was taken aback by how much has changed. Flies! Freaking flies were missing! How the heck could flies be missing when there was a ton of dead and rotting vegetation, meat, and other attractive spots for egg laying.

“Hey, Austin?”
“Lemme guess, you’re getting creeped out by the lack of noise?”
“Gee, how’d ya know?”
“Oh, I dunno, possibly cause I’m also weirded the fuck out? Hand me a pack from the glove box would ya?”

As he took a cigarette from one of the three packs he had stashed away in the glove box, he and I started debating about why the animal life has disappeared. We agreed that it pretty much boiled down to one thing: this plague of undead was killing off most of what life could be found. Zombies are toxic to all organic life, save for plants and certain bacteria. That’s why they survive a helluva long time against the ravages of time and the environment. There wasn’t a whole lot of bacteria that could compete against the zombie virus, and those that tried were either turned into the zombie virus, or were just killed off.

About an hour into debating the how’s and why’s of the virus, we arrived at “the Doc’s” place. Although it did seemed a bit run down, the clinic was very much operational. The windows were boarded, smoke snaked out of an improvised chimney, and we could hear light conversation from inside. Austin pounded the butt of his shotgun against the front door.

“Hey Doc! It’s Austin, we’ve come bearing gifts!”
“Be right there.”

Despite living close to a couple “hordes” passing through, and all the bullshit with the Dragons and Militia, the Doc seemed in good health. He was pleasantly surprised by our visit, and even offered us lunch, which we accepted. Inside, we met his wife, kid, and several new faces that we later found out were refugees from the east coast, and they had a bit of news for us regarding that area.

“I’m from south Georgia and lemme tell ya. It’s BAD over there. Fuckin’ zombies everywhere in Atlanta and all over the countryside. Got lucky and hitched a ride out on one of the last flights to Tennessee, been hoping from town to town every since.”

“I’m originally from D.C. Place is a hole in the ground, before and after the zombies. Only thing is that I had less of a hellish nightmare before the undead showed up. Was working in an office building when the shit hit the fan, and managed to jet out of there before the quarantine took effect. I kept tabs on a couple of my friends before they lost cell service, and found out that they weren’t planning on just letting the zombies eat everyone . They were planning on sending ‘clean-up crews’ into each of the quarantined cities to kill as many infected as possible, and that they were being given very loose definitions of what constituted ‘infected’. Pretty much anyone that was inside one of the quarantines counted as ‘infected’.”

“Yeah, I know, I was in Chicago during the quarantine. Jetted out right after the barricades were overrun.”
“So you know what my buddy was talkin about? Fuckin monsters, both the zombies and the teams.”

We then moved on to nicer news, going over events in the area, sharing contact information and informing them of the “Watch Out” program. We left them with a CB radio and a small solar charger for it and made our way back. Just shy of the mile and half mark, we started hearing thunder. The problem with that was, there wasn’t a freaking cloud in the sky.

After a brief worried glance at each other, Austin floored the Silverado’s pedal to the ground, and we cleared the last hill before a pair of fields separated by the road we were on, and found ourselves staring at a battlefield. One side was a pair of HMMV’s and several armed Militia members toting a pair of M2 Browning .50cal machine guns on each HMMV and several AT4 anti-vehicle rockets and assorted small arms. On the other side, about forty or fifty Dragons, armed with handguns, shotguns, and pimped out Ak-47’s that still fired full-auto. A couple had RPG’s, but I doubted they could even figure out which end of the thing was supposed to be facing the enemy. They had take cover against a pair of old tractors, and their cars which were beat to hell from the M2’s.

I shouted at Austin to cut through the fields behind the Militia, and we flew past the fighting, only taking a couple spare handgun rounds from the “commander” of the militia as he noticed we were flying past. He probably thought we were some of the Dragons that managed to get to the farmhouse and hijack a truck, and focused his attention back on the fight when we were out of pistol range.

As we found the road again, and let our bodies come down off the adrenaline high, I came up with a plan. “Hey Austin, leave me off here, I still have that pair of binoculars you used yesterday. I can keep tabs on the fight and gauge their tactics and ability, as well as see if they leave behind any goodies that we can salvage later after the fighting dies down.”

He was very opposed to that idea. “Bryan, no offense, but A) I have a lot more hunting and sneaking experience than you, B) I know the area better than you do, and know all the hiding spots for miles, and C) I’m a lot faster than you are, since I spend more time running around a farm. Yeah, you’ve lost weight, but when was the last time you did the mile run?”

“Alright, fuck you, you get to stay. I just don’t wanna hear it from Sarah when she screams at me for leaving you alone out here.”
“I’ll be fine, just get back to the farm and get ready to pick me up if I radio you, don’t do anything heroic.”
“Fine, but if I don’t hear back from you within ten minutes of the last shot fired, I’m grabbing my rifle and heading your way.”

He nodded and hoped out of the cab, leaving me to scramble over to the driver’s side and speed off. About ten minutes later saw me at the farm, with everyone rushing out to greet me with nervous looks and cringes every time they heard a gunshot. Edd and Sam were back from there run, but Sarah was the first to the cab, and like I had predicted, she was NOT happy that I left him there alone.

“Why didn’t you both stay there and scout it out?”
“Cause one person has a helluva better chance at evading those dickheads than one and a very inexperienced other.”
“How come he went unarmed? He’s gonna get killed!”
“He’s not unarmed, he has his two handguns, and a couple knives on him.”

The only thing stopping the questions further was a big explosion from the battlefield. I took advantage of the following silence to get everyone organized.

“Ok, look, Austin is scouting out the battle and gathering intel on the two idiot sides. We need to get a vehicle, and a team ready to get his ass out of the fire should it turn his way. Alex, Edd, and Art will help me get Austin back here safely within ten minutes after the last shot is fired if we don’t hear from him first. Everyone else, get inside, lock the house down, and don’t give yourselves away. We don’t know who else is watching and whether they are hostile or friendly.”

I got a general nodding of heads from everyone, and a cold glare from Sarah as she helped everyone get the truck unloaded and inside the garage area. Within minutes, the “rescue team” had assembled in the garage with weapons, ammo, and a complete field trauma kit put together by Sam. We selected the HMMV because of it’s better armor and the now abundance of fuel for it, and sat inside of it waiting for the radio call or the last shot.

Almost thirty minutes went by before we heard the final shot fired, and started counting down the minutes. At about the five minute mark we heard Austin’s voice over the radio.

“Get me the hell out of here! There’s a big group of zombies, maybe thirty total, chasing me down the road! Pick me the fuck up and get me back home!”

We needed no further prodding ,and the HMMV roared to life and sped down the road. Within a minute we saw Austin jogging down the road towards us, maybe twenty five zombies just outside of pistol distance behind him, and falling back as he sped up into a full sprint.

I stopped and parked the HMMV, and gave the signal to hold fire. As Austin got closer, we took aim at the first of the zombies and settled into firing positions. Just as Austin cleared us, I gave the signal to open fire, and we tore apart the ranks of the undead. Every shot found it’s mark, and every zombie fell into a heap of mush and bones. Within seconds it was over, and we got Austin back into the HMMV and sped back towards the farm.

“That was hilarious watching the Dragons. They had no clue what the hell they were doing and ended up trying to rush the Militia twice. Both times they got pushed back before they could start, and both times they lost a lot of guys. The Militia are better armed than we thought, but there aren’t too many of them. Of the maybe a dozen guys that were there, seven won’t ever fight again and the remaining five or six have at least one bullet hole in them.”
“Anything worth salvaging over there?”
“Plenty, when the zombies started showing up, both of the sides took a second to shoot a few of them, grab their wounded, and head for the hills. Then all the zombies found me and I jogged back towards the farm. That’s when you guys showed up.”

When we got back, I quickly had everyone grab a vehicle, and those that were left without one rode shotgun with somebody, and we sped back to the battleground. It was messy, and nothing prepares you for the sight of half-eaten, half obliterated corpses fresh from the fight. The smell was ungodly, and most of the bodies were sporting several gaping, and still somewhat bleeding wounds. We worked quickly, stripping every dead Militia and Dragon of anything useful, and then throwing it into the backs of the trucks. Within minutes, we had everything except the vehicles stripped down to skivvies and managed to dig two holes for each of the sides. We rolled or threw what was left of the bodies into the holes, threw dirt back over them, and then focused on the two HMMV’s. One was almost completely fucked. It looked like one of the Dragons got a lucky RPG and ignited a small stash of explosives in the back of the HMMV. The only thing we managed to get off of that was the door panels, and that was because we could use the scrap.

The other HMMV was almost in perfect working order, until a closer inspection found a 7.62mm slug deep inside the engine compartment. We then just un-mounted the M2, and unloaded all the cargo. What a helluva find too, a full crate of pre-made C4 bricks, complete with remote and timed detonators. Over a thousand rounds of .50cal belts, and a couple thousand rounds of 5.56mm and 7.62mm x 39 each. It looked like this was the “resupply” HMMV, and we lucked out that it wasn’t going anywhere. I marked the location in my head for revisiting when we had the time and the tools to strip both HMMV’s for any spare parts that could be re-used, and possibly the rest of the vehicles for scrap metal to be melted down into whatever.

With happy hearts, we returned home with plenty of new toys and a slightly more full armory stash.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

BillDfensFoster

Post by BillDfensFoster » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Great stuff I started reading last week and had to wait 2 days for the new chapter . I'm hooked tho so even tho you just posted all I gotta say is MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you're gonna die in that stupid hat. How does it feel ?- Bill Foster
I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false prophet... and that God is a superstition.--Daniel Plainview

Tommy Tran

Post by Tommy Tran » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Just read everything so far and caught up...

Add me to the shuffling and low moaning for mooooooaaaaarrrrrr :mrgreen:

btw I am a devout MJOTZY shuffler but I do appreciate the additional details about all the gear(ie. g-u-n-s!) that your story is offering!
phil_in_cs wrote:well, I can guarantee you it won't over penetrate. It has to penetrate before it can over penetrate....
gravediggerfour wrote:For those of you with Mr. Fancy Pants gas piston AR's better stock up on the parts that are not interchangable.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.

cnuke621

Post by cnuke621 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:11 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the story. Originally from Murphysboro and now living in Chicago. Story made me a little nostalgic for home and enjoyed reading a story with all the places I know.

phoenixmastm

Post by phoenixmastm » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 am

cnuke621 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for the story. Originally from Murphysboro and now living in Chicago. Story made me a little nostalgic for home and enjoyed reading a story with all the places I know.
Speaking of which, if any locals are from the areas we've mentioned, and you know that things are not in the places we mentioned, please let us know. I've only been through on rt. 13 through Murphysboro, and a little exploring of Carbondale.
Cold is the ocean spray
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Shoe Daddy

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:28 pm

Have no fear, I am currently working on the next update. Expect it by Friday.

walterde
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Black Hawk Down and Interstellar

Post by walterde » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:14 pm

It's Friday and the story so far is a no-show course you will probably post it right after I post this and I'll look like an impatient ass so maybe I shouldn't post this. But if I didn't then you would be off the hook and I'd feel like an ass for not posting so you wouldn't post right after I posted. Wow I'm kinda dizzy now, I'm gonna go lay my head down for a while I'll check for you post later. Thanks for the great ride so far.
I gotta go to class.

Shoe Daddy

Post by Shoe Daddy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:58 am

Lol. Ok that was funny. Had to work last night so I didn't get it put up. You will see it today sometime. But your still an impatient ass. ROFL.

Return to “Fiction”