Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years

Zombie or Post Apocalyptic themed fiction/stories.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mr. E. Monkey

Re: Mom's Journal of the Zombie Years

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:09 pm

engineer1371 wrote:
Kathy in FL wrote:Day 339 (Thursday) – July 4 – Part Nine

Suddenly there was a BOOM!!! Which I found out later was the sound of about 1800 pounds of RDX going off... about the same as 3000 pounds of TNT. Despite the initial warning I still went top over tail and wound upside down under a desk on the other side of the room.

Glenn said, “Um, sorry......I'm not an explosives expert....I may have overdone it a bit.”

Scott, laughing like a loon asked, “WHAT?? I CANT HEAR YOU???”

Glenn, as bad as I’d ever seen him deadpanned, “I said OOPS.”
As we used to say in the Marines the P in the equation for the amount of explosives needed always equaled plenty. great story and thank god im still way behind the pack. I wont be turning into a MOAR zombie just yet.
You're already one of us--you just don't know it yet. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

engineer1371

Post by engineer1371 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:16 pm

evil monkey wrote:
engineer1371 wrote:

Suddenly there was a BOOM!!! Which I found out later was the sound of about 1800 pounds of RDX going off... about the same as 3000 pounds of TNT. Despite the initial warning I still went top over tail and wound upside down under a desk on the other side of the room.

Glenn said, “Um, sorry......I'm not an explosives expert....I may have overdone it a bit.”

As we used to say in the Marines the P in the equation for the amount of explosives needed always equaled plenty. great story and thank god im still way behind the pack. I wont be turning into a MOAR zombie just yet.
You're already one of us--you just don't know it yet. :twisted:

I have at least 125 MOAR pages to go before I fully turn.

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:16 pm

engineer1371 wrote:

You're such a silly Marine! you was a MAOR zombie from the first
Kathy in FL wrote:Sissy's Journal
I feel a little guilty for taking the time to do this when there are so many more urgent things I could be doing but I really need a place to vent. .

puker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD, Shaun of the Dead, DOTD 04, NOTLD

Post by puker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Oh....and still nothing.....
TravisM.1 wrote:You know, sometimes I question if I'm really doing things right.
Am I doing right by my kids? Am I being a responsible adult? Would I be ashamed if my grandmother saw me doing this?
Then, a guy gets caught jackhammering a horse for the second time in two years, and I realize-
I'm doing alright.

HaroldWayneHamlin

Post by HaroldWayneHamlin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Momma Hen.

Reading your story "This is me surviving"

Very good story.

I think you either do a lot of thinking about how life would be in certain situtaions or else you are natually instinstive in your out look of human nature.

I do not know what is going on in your life but I wish you well and hope that you can see your way clear to continue writing.

I know it is hard to raise and care for a family, husband and help put food on the table and I also know how it is to come home late at night bone tired with not even the strength to take a shower.

May God Bless you and yours.

A lot of your fans on the net would sure be willing to send a few bucks your way for all the reading pleasure you have so unselfishly given to us.

Is there any post box or business address (safe and secure) you can give us so that we might return to you a little something to repay you for all you have done for us.

Later
wayne

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:45 pm

HaroldWayneHamlin wrote:well, it certainly is long.
In closing I would like to say.

can you imagine what you could accomplish if you could multi task
and
can you imagine what you could accomplish if you were a man

Ok, Ok, now that I have your attention and have you well PPPPPPPP ed off, let me say.

I am very impressed with what you are able to do. From the skimming of the story and of the tid bits of family life you have given us, I am very impressed indeed. I am infacted amazed (and I rarely am amazed at any thing as old as I am).

If you are turely 40 as you say and not 20 or so as I suppect, I can not imagine what you could do were you retired, well off money wise, no kids underfoot, and a husband who allowed you your time to write.

Later
wayne

Oh hush up wayne.

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 pm

maldon007 wrote:Oh hush up wayne.
AGREED!

Troll account is trolling up there. Don't worry about it, y'all.
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 am

Put annoying posters on your 'foe' list, and their posts collapse so you don't need to read them; thereby saving your blood pressure.
-
It's morning and there are waffles!
Waffles (pumpkin or blueberry), assorted syrups, turkey sausage, bacon, fresh-laid eggs, red grapes, cantaloupe slices, juice, coffee and tea.
Image Image
Image ImageImage Image
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Put annoying posters on your 'foe' list, and their posts collapse so you don't need to read them; thereby saving your blood pressure.
-
Waffles (pumpkin or blueberry), assorted syrups, turkey sausage, bacon, fresh-laid eggs, red grapes, cantaloupe slices, juice, coffee and tea.
Image Image
Image ImageImage Image
That looks soooo good right now.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

kaijafon

Post by kaijafon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:29 am

Bearcat wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:Put annoying posters on your 'foe' list, and their posts collapse so you don't need to read them; thereby saving your blood pressure.
-
Image Image
Image ImageImage Image
That looks soooo good right now.
I agree!!! I'm drooling..... and it's not the same drool as waiting for MOAR!!!!!

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:32 am

She's on vacation for a week. As soon as she gets back you can expect to resume waiting - that is all.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Oddly enough, I seldom have people going out to grab a burger instead of eating at home. LOL

I serve between 5 and a dozen people at most meals; anyone who stops in knows the first words out of my mouth will be "Good to see you, are you hungry?"
I love feeding people good food.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:42 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Oddly enough, I seldom have people going out to grab a burger instead of eating at home. LOL

I serve between 5 and a dozen people at most meals; anyone who stops in knows the first words out of my mouth will be "Good to see you, are you hungry?"
Got room for a hoard of moar people?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:48 pm

Oh yes; I prep keeping 'moar' in mind.
-

kaijafon

Post by kaijafon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:56 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Oddly enough, I seldom have people going out to grab a burger instead of eating at home. LOL

I love people like you!!

:)

One of my good friends was like this; we had a deal: I'd bring her food and she would cook it! worked out great!!! (I got lot's of good food and a cheap price)

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:00 pm

kaijafon wrote:

I love people like you!!

:)

One of my good friends was like this; we had a deal: I'd bring her food and she would cook it! worked out great!!! (I got lot's of good food and a cheap price)
I'll do the dishes!

CFDAlden

Post by CFDAlden » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:12 pm

As a latecomer to finding the wonder ot MJotZY, I finished the whole thread in a few sittings. Now:

please? I seem to have developed this odd twitch. :)

(For the record: Yes, it should say Ma'am.)
Vermont

skarface
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by skarface » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:59 am

Moar, please!

I hope things are going well on your vacation, Kathy. Here's to rest and relaxation!
TheLastRifleMan wrote:Thank you and thank you, blessed work van! Nothing but premium fuel for you, damn what the boss says! And a wash once a week!
Mysty wrote:I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

TwistTheKnife
Favorite Zombie Movies: Thanks to Romero and Fulci, and all the other B-movie directors who will never get credit = (

Post by TwistTheKnife » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:26 am

Well there it is....read the story 20 times. Each time I finished it was ok because the human mind is fickle and forgets a lot of the details......buttttt now I remember just about all of our precious storytime (and a few less than reputible posts from moar zombies)......sigh.......I've run out of option except for moar or a viking funeral.
Never walk away from home
ahead of your axe and sword.
You can't feel a battle in your bones
or foresee a fight.

- The Havamal

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:34 am

I came out of my faint little better off than I had been. On the other hand my leg looked like a professional had made a good attempt to fix it up … or at least as much as battlefield conditions allowed. My head still swam from the pain but I was no longer drowning in it. I was not alone. Iggy was caring for another man while two more guarded us from the mess going on beyond the overturned vehicle we were taking shelter in.

Ruminating on the meaning of life is never easy … in the middle of what amounted to a battle for said life is even less easy and a good way to get dead real quick. I still wasn’t sure whether Iggy and the three other men were a figment of my imagination or not; either way it was easier to allow for the possibility than it was to fight about their realness or lack of.

When Iggy noticed I was conscious he asked, “Awake?”

“Duh. Kinda obvious.” I wasn’t exactly at my most civil.

My words brought me to the attention the man that Iggy was patching up with quick precision. “Sweet ain’t she?” he asked of no one in particular.

Iggy snorted, “Get on her bad side and you’ll know just how ‘sweet’ she is.”

Figment or not I was not amused. “OK, knock it off. You’ve got some ‘splaining to do Lucy.”

That had one of the other men choking back a laugh.

“Seriously Iggy … and for the moment I’ll allow myself to assume you aren’t a figment of my diseased imagination … this is a fairly strange time and place for you to show up.”

“Mmm,” was all I got for agreement for a moment, like he was trying to find the words to explain things. “Long story and not necessarily one that … that I’m ready to tell. Let’s just leave it that I eventually hooked up with some of the Resistance.”

“OK, fine … resisting who in particular?”

One of the other men answered me gruffly, “We’re Constitutionalists. Mostly we’ve chosen to live and let live so long as that means folks abide by the rights and wherefores of the US Constitution and don’t try and set up any petty dictatorships or crazy religious communities on our shores. We put the effort into it and it worked … mostly … after a fashion anyway … for a while. There are always the bad apples that try and spoil it for everyone else. We’ve got too many factions in the country … what’s left of the country. Even if people chose to be stupid we try and let them have their stupid … and die by their stupid. That’s what personal accountability is all about. But others don’t seem to want to extend us the same courtesy as we were trying to give them. That’s when we had to take a few of the worst of the ijits out. We were chasing some of this group here … they raided one of our cooperative communities … when they hooked up with another group bigger than we expected. We been followin’ them trying to figure their game. Your friend Iggy there, he didn’t seem to keen to come thisaway for some reason.”

I looked at Iggy who wasn’t looking too comfortable and asked, “Why not?”

Everyone looked at Iggy until he finally said, “I … I thought Scott was dead. I left James …” his voice tapered off as he looked away, pensive.

“Oh … well, neither one of them is dead so stop looking like you stepped on my dog’s tail accidentally. Get over it.”

Iggy looked at me like I’d lost my mind and frankly I was beginning to think that I might have as well. I rolled my eyes and told him, “I’ve lost enough Iggy. This time I didn’t. You got James to the help he needed and there wasn’t anything you could have done about the rest of it. If things had turned out different maybe I would have felt different than I do but they didn’t and I don’t. Head shot.”

The men jerked their attention back to where it belonged. The next fifteen minutes were spent clearing out a knot of infected that had taken an inordinate amount of interest in our position. When things had died back down … bad pun but too apropos not to say … I asked, “Have any of you heard some weird rumor about a vaccine for NRS?”

Iggy, never one to tolerate quackery said, “It’s bunk.”

“So you say but I have seen something tonight that …” I shuddered remembering the kid.

I could tell from the looks on the men’s faces they knew exactly what I was talking about. I looked at Iggy, barely able to make him out and his face was a mask of … I’m not sure what but I would have hated to have been on the receiving end of whatever he was holding back. “They can slow it down but not stop it.”

“The virus you mean?”

Iggy nodded in the affirmative. “It’s just the same test vaccine that they ran at the very beginning of the outbreak. All they did was repackage it and claim that they’ve improved it to the point that it is a total preventive. Ignorant and worse … criminal …” Iggy growled low in his throat, like it was soap box he had been on and angered by too many times. “Never mind, too many fools that want to believe their lies. There is no cure. None. Nada. Zilch. It can be slowed down but that is more like torture than any kind of salvation. Fools. Too many of them.”

I could tell from his bleak expression that things … perhaps desperate and horrific things … were beginning to pile up on Iggy. He’d been a bulwark when he lived at Sanctuary so whatever had happened to him or that he’d witnessed as he’d gone looking for his family must have been bad. And he was right, there were too many stories out there like that and too many people aching for the chance to escape the danger and terror that passes for normal these days.

Just then one of the men in the front whispered quickly, “Looks like they’re ramping up again. ‘Nother wave. Can Sanctuary handle it?”

“Handle it?” I replied. “I know some folks who are probably wetting their pants in anticipation. One in particular likes to make things go boom and splat quite a bit and has some kind of gnome fetish wrapped around a very … er … odd sense of humor. I have a feeling right about now the gloves are going to officially come off and God help whoever goes against us.”

And all around and in the distance I heard the odd growling of large trucks and in the sudden silence afterwards I heard a strangely maniacal cackle of laughter from the Wall.

Pandion
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD

Post by Pandion » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:49 am

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

(undignified celebrations over)

Thanks Momma Hen :)

Ur story got me to become a member of this forum and into preparedness.

Kudos!

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:51 am

That you for the story time Kathy.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Narshalla

Post by Narshalla » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:04 am

I wuv you Kathy!

You make MOAR zombie happy!

The1Paladin
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Origonal), Resident Evil

Post by The1Paladin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:56 am

I can resist the coming tide for another month. Thank you Momma Hen.
*PLEASE NOTE*
Skynet will go live December 21st, 2012.

Return to “Fiction”